PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Week #3 Power Rankings

mmiller_34
September 16th, 2012, 03:21 PM
A few changes, nothing dramatic: http://mvfcfan.blogspot.com/p/power-rankings.html

Illinois State takes the #1 spot after Youngstown State struggled against an NEC opponent.
Southern Illinois moved up three spots to #7 after a nice win against SEMO.
Missouri State at #10 after moving to 0-3
South Dakota State up one spot to #5 after Indiana State played their second weak non-conference game.

MplsBison
September 16th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Formulas don't work. Your rankings aren't any more correct or justified because you cooked up some formula.

No one will or should take its word at face value for the exact ranking, just that it knows what we all know to this point in the season: NDSU, YSU, UNI and IL St are the elite group at the top with SDSU and IND St not far behind.

I'd frankly just like to see you rank the teams yourself and provide your justification for why. Don't hide behind some code.

mmiller_34
September 16th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Formulas don't work. Your rankings aren't any more correct or justified because you cooked up some formula.

No one will or should take its word at face value for the exact ranking, just that it knows what we all know to this point in the season: NDSU, YSU, UNI and IL St are the elite group at the top with SDSU and IND St not far behind.

I'd frankly just like to see you rank the teams yourself and provide your justification for why. Don't hide behind some code.

Interesting. Considering that my Power Rankings show exactly that: Illinois State, North Dakota State, Youngstown State, Northern Iowa are the elite group with SDSU and Indiana State not that far behind.

DJKyR0
September 16th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Interesting. Considering that my Power Rankings show exactly that: Illinois State, North Dakota State, Youngstown State, Northern Iowa are the elite group with SDSU and Indiana State not that far behind.

And yet the defending national champion is ranked behind two teams that struggled against underwhelming opponents this week.

MplsBison
September 16th, 2012, 03:39 PM

Because you designed it to say that 3 weeks into the season. As I said, it's not any more correct than someone just saying that themselves, because that is what we all know at this point in the season.

mmiller_34
September 16th, 2012, 03:40 PM
And yet the defending national champion is ranked behind two teams that struggled against underwhelming opponents this week.

And yet the Bison have played Robert Morris and Colorado State. Eastern Illinois is much better than Robert Morris and Colorado State might be a tad better than Eastern Michigan.

mmiller_34
September 16th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Because you designed it to say that 3 weeks into the season. As I said, it's not any more correct than someone just saying that because that's what we all know.

Its the same system for last week and it will be the same system for the rest of the season, I made some adjustments between week 1 and 2 for ranked FBS competition. Thats its. I don't design it differently each week.

MplsBison
September 16th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Its the same system for last week and it will be the same system for the rest of the season, I made some adjustments between week 1 and 2 for ranked FBS competition. Thats its. I don't design it differently each week.

As the year goes on the flaws in your code will become more apparent.

Like all authors of ranking algorithms, you feel so vindicated right now that you'll probably conclude that the code "must be right" at that time and we're all wrong.

MplsBison
September 16th, 2012, 03:44 PM
This is why I'm so happy that the new I-A playoff will be selected by humans.

Everyone go so worked over by "the formula", trying to defend it, fix it, justify it. The correct approach was to trash it the entire time.

mmiller_34
September 16th, 2012, 03:45 PM
As the year goes on the flaws in your code will become more apparent.

Like all authors of ranking algorithms, you feel so vindicated that "see, it works" right now that you'll probably conclude that the code "must be right" at that time and we're all wrong.

I've literally never told anyone they're wrong.

MplsBison
September 16th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I've literally never told anyone they're wrong.

Ok good, so you will admit your code is wrong later in the season.

mmiller_34
September 16th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Ok good, so you will admit your code is wrong later in the season.

When it screws up, I'll own it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 16th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Because you designed it to say that 3 weeks into the season. As I said, it's not any more correct than someone just saying that themselves, because that is what we all know at this point in the season.

Get over yourself.

This is for fun...for Valley fans.

He put in a lot of work to come up with this and you do not like it.....so what!

I give him props for taking time to do this and put the time into it. You want subjective? Go ask fans from other conferences what they think.

@ mmiller: Good job and keep it up! Thanks from a Valley fan.

mmiller_34
September 16th, 2012, 04:34 PM

Thanks man. Its a blast doing it. Getting to know each team better has made Saturday just that much more entertaining.

DJKyR0
September 16th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Thanks man. Its a blast doing it. Getting to know each team better has made Saturday just that much more entertaining.

Regardless of the discussion on the power ranking, this is a cool point to make. Back when I ran my blog and was more active in the FCS media sphere I learned a ton about a level of football I didn't even know existed until I started school at NDSU in '08. Having this whole other realm of rivalries and championships makes college football just that much better. Totally agree with you on this.

Twentysix
September 16th, 2012, 04:44 PM
My rankings would probably be

1. (a)YSU (b)NDSU (c)ISU-r
4. UNI
5. (a)SDSU (b)ISU-b
7. (a)USD (b)SIU
9. WIU
10. MSU

MplsBison
September 16th, 2012, 05:23 PM
My rankings would probably be

1. (a)YSU (b)NDSU (c)ISU-r
4. UNI
5. (a)SDSU (b)ISU-b
7. (a)USD (b)SIU
9. WIU
10. MSU

How can you possibly justify this without an algorithm to back it up?!?

MplsBison
September 16th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Get over yourself.

This is for fun...for Valley fans.

He put in a lot of work to come up with this and you do not like it.....so what!

I give him props for taking time to do this and put the time into it. You want subjective? Go ask fans from other conferences what they think.

I can't get over myself until you get off my nuts. Oh weird, in leaps NW to lash out at my blindly.

I can only assume you mean objective - but of course you still failed because rankings are subjective by nature. The idea that you can make rankings objective by hiding behind a computer is frothy horse piss.

LakesBison
September 16th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Keep it up m mill. Glad you and uni are NDSU rivals! People including nw bison are starting to see the light.

MSUBear42
September 16th, 2012, 06:17 PM
****ing Terry Allen

mmiller_34
September 17th, 2012, 11:46 AM
****ing Terry Allen

I feel your pain. This week is a must win for Missouri State.