PDA

View Full Version : ASU vs The Citadel

Pages : 1 [2]

Apphole
September 15th, 2012, 08:13 PM
You just **** the bed that ****ing bad and you still put yourselves above us?

LOL

2-4 were a crap shoot at this point. I'm an App fan.

With Chisholm, Price and Lott returning next week, I stand by my ranking.

Apphole
September 15th, 2012, 08:15 PM
We may be riding our rank to some degree, but we didn't just fall to **** either. We had a bad game with some inexperienced players. We also did a much better job against Citadel than App, if anyone is resting on last year's achievements, it's them.

We're still a good team, we've just got some kinks to work out.

As a TO team, your D is clearly more experienced defending that scheme. Pretty moot comparison IMHO. This is the beginning of the season.

Next week will reveal more for both programs.

eaglewraith
September 15th, 2012, 08:17 PM
As a TO team, your D is clearly more experienced defending that scheme. Pretty moot comparison IMHO. This is the beginning of the season.

I thought ya'll had the master formula for stopping the option though? Something along those lines is what you said after you beat us last year. Can't have it both ways there chief.

Citadel is solid, but they shouldn't have beat you like they did. They beat you like you owed someone money and you bent over and took it. Even with all the mistakes we made against Cit we still had the game in our hands at the end and came up short.

You never had it.

Apphole
September 15th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I thought ya'll had the master formula for stopping the option though? Something along those lines is what you said after you beat us last year. Can't have it both ways there chief.

Citadel is solid, but they shouldn't have beat you like they did. They beat you like you owed someone money and you bent over and took it. Even with all the mistakes we made against Cit we still had the game in our hands at the end and came up short.

You never had it.

We came out flat and completely overlooked them. They came out and played FLAWLESS football. What can I say? We shut down your offense like no one else (aside from NDSU) last year. Citadel and Stink are two different teams. Never said we were TO stopping masters, just that we did a fine job on Black Saturday last year. Cit scored 40+ points on us last year and Wofford destroyed us.

CID1990
September 15th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Well, last week I put us in the middle of the pack, because I thought that was where we were. Wofford is now the big dog unless we beat them. Chatty could well be the # 2 team, just hard to tell yet, but we have them at home which could be decisive.

We are away for Furman, Samford, and Wofford. That's just a tall order and history tells me that we could lose all three. Right now I still call Wofford a probable loss, no change there.

The great thing about all of this is that I still think ASU and GSU are two of the better teams in the SoCon and will have winning seasons. If I am right, then we are already sitting pretty for any possible tiebreakers provided we beat the teams we are supposed to beat.

Wofford
Chatty
El CID
GSU
ASU
Samford
Furman
WCU
Elon

eaglewraith
September 15th, 2012, 08:28 PM
We came out flat and completely overlooked them. They came out and played FLAWLESS football. What can I say? We shut down your offense like no one else (aside from NDSU) last year. Citadel and Stink are two different teams. Never said we were TO stopping masters, just that we did a fine job on Black Saturday last year. Cit scored 40+ points on us last year and Wofford destroyed us.

But we in fact came out flat against you last year. When we said that though, we were "making excuses." In fact, your scores came on pass coverage breakdowns and a horrible call on a catch that wasn't a catch. You may have stopped us on offense, but I saw tons of sloppy play on our side, including players giving up on blocks and watching defenders go by.

And we STILL were in the game at the end.

What else you got?

CID1990
September 15th, 2012, 08:31 PM
My opinion is GSU has taken a step back after graduating some key players. They are riding their ranking from last year. And ASU is always assumed to be near the top unless they prove the ranking wrong. Not saying Citadel isn't better, clearly they beat both. Just saying that would be a huge jump in the polls, which doesn't happen very often. I suspect they will move up to 10-12. Just MO.

Personally I could care less about any ranking before December. That's the one that matters.

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2012, 08:31 PM

Not to state the obvious, but I watched much of App's game against Montana. You guys run the same scheme, you just do it out of the shotgun and throw it a bit more.

cbarrier90
September 15th, 2012, 08:33 PM

You never had it.

Hate to admit it, but there's lots of truth in this.

In regards to the "formula," ASU is breaking in two RS freshmen at DT to fill the voids left by Wylie and Aiken. In addition, this secondary is so young and inexperienced with injuries and the like. It'll only get worse as it appears our best corner McCray had a concussion today.

Even with all of the above, that's no excuse for the complete schellacking that took place today. Everyone needs to be held accountable this week, because the regression from Week 2 to 3 has been absolutely stunning.

Time to take the lumps on here, eat crow, get mad when we get ranked out of the Top 5 in others' SoCon Power Rankings, and move on.

Apphole
September 15th, 2012, 08:36 PM
But we in fact came out flat against you last year. When we said that though, we were "making excuses." In fact, your scores came on pass coverage breakdowns and a horrible call on a catch that wasn't a catch. You may have stopped us on offense, but I saw tons of sloppy play on our side, including players giving up on blocks and watching defenders go by.

And we STILL were in the game at the end.

What else you got?
Holy deflection, batman!

Our D played very well against Georgia Southern last year. Wasn't that what we were talking about? Not making excuses today (like you are for an almost year old game). El Cid came into the Rock and beat us up and down the field. Yeah we played like we've never seen the option before, but they were a finely tuned machine. That's not an excuse, that's an accurate account of the game.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 15th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Not to state the obvious, but I watched much of App's game against Montana. You guys run the same scheme, you just do it out of the shotgun and throw it a bit more.

Don't buy that. With an offense like the one GSU or the Citadel has you only throw the ball if that's what the defense gives you or if it's a 3rd and ten type situation.
With App. State's offense you will throw the ball 20 to 25 times a game at a minimum. GSU and El Cid will throw the ball 5 to 10 times a game.

eaglewraith
September 15th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Holy deflection, batman!

Our D played very well against Georgia Southern last year. Wasn't that what we were talking about? Not making excuses today (like you are for an almost year old game). El Cid came into the Rock and beat us up and down the field. Yeah we played like we've never seen the option before, but they were a finely tuned machine. That's not an excuse, that's an accurate account of the game.

Finally you admitted you got beat. No talk about being flat.

My work here is done.

Apphole
September 15th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Finally you admitted you got beat. No talk about being flat.

My work here is done.

I'd go through this thread and count the number of times I've praised the Citadel for an incredible game, but I don't want to keep your mother waiting xthumbsupx

eaglewraith
September 15th, 2012, 08:44 PM
I'd go through this thread and count the number of times I've praised the Citadel for an incredible game, but I don't want to keep your mother waiting xthumbsupx

If we sat here and waited while I went back and counted the number of times you said App was playing flat then Georgia State will have won a national championship in the meantime.

Apphole
September 15th, 2012, 08:47 PM
If we sat here and waited while I went back and counted the number of times you said App was playing flat then Georgia State will have won a national championship in the meantime.

As an App fan, it is natural for me to be more concerned with our performance vs another team. I gave credit where credit was due multiple times.

WUTNDITWAA
September 15th, 2012, 08:48 PM
If we sat here and waited while I went back and counted the number of times you said App was playing flat then Georgia State will have avenged its loss to Lambuth in the meantime.

Fixed it for you. :D

eaglewraith
September 15th, 2012, 08:48 PM
As an App fan, it is natural for me to be more concerned with our performance vs another team. I gave credit where credit was due multiple times.

"I have inappropriate relationships with goats" is all I'm hearing.

God I've missed football season. All that lovey dovey crap between App and Georgia Southern fans in the offseason never felt right to me ;)

eaglewraith
September 15th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Fixed it for you. :D

This is also acceptable.

Apphole
September 15th, 2012, 08:52 PM
"I have inappropriate relationships with goats" is all I'm hearing.

God I've missed football season. All that lovey dovey crap between App and Georgia Southern fans in the offseason never felt right to me ;)
I know man. It was a weird period in our App/GaSo vs Gay St/UNC Concord conflicts. Back to hating the Stink. All is right with the world.

Except GaSo and App losing to El Cid. That's a new one.

eaglewraith
September 15th, 2012, 08:55 PM
I know man. It was a weird period in our App/GaSo vs Gay St/UNC Concord conflicts. Back to hating the Stink. All is right with the world.

Except GaSo and App losing to El Cid. That's a new one.

Well sadly, us losing to them isn't new, it HAS happened before. They're always a thorn in our side for some reason.

Apphole
September 15th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Well sadly, us losing to them isn't new, it HAS happened before. They're always a thorn in our side for some reason.

It's been a while for us. And in a stadium of 24-30k, you're bound to have some ignorant people that expect to blow out every SoCon team not named Georgia Southern. Us message board nerds knew this was no easy game after they beat y'all last week.

WUTNDITWAA
September 15th, 2012, 09:10 PM
This is also acceptable.

Not many programs started in the last five years can say they've lost to a school that no longer exists.

Mr. C
September 15th, 2012, 09:16 PM
That's more or less what happened today. Other than a few pieces of turf catching a Dog's cleet, they moved at will on the defense. Uuuugly.

That 1996 game featured defensive coordinator David Knaus (the one year in-between Ruffin McNeil and John Wiley) installing a Cover 2 zone concept to a team that had kids who were used to press, man-to-man coverage and were recruited to play the press. Knaus had the Mountaineers sitting back in Cover 2 all day long as ETSU's bevy of receivers had free reign on out patterns, slants and just about everything else all game long. That game probably had as much to do with Wiley becoming defensive coordinator as anything in the next season.

Mountaineer
September 15th, 2012, 09:19 PM
..had free reign on out patterns, slants and just about everything else all game long.

Sounds an awfully lot like McNeese in 2009. When App has a game where they stink it up on defense, they REALLY go all out. xshakefistx

GunsAndGuitars
September 15th, 2012, 09:34 PM
If North Carolina School of Agriculture and Diesel Exhaust (the one in Raleigh) looks past El Cid to think about Miami, they may have another thing coming.

Grizo406
September 15th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Anyone have an attendance number for this game?

Never mind...just saw it in another thread.

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2012, 10:44 PM
You are probably thinking of 2003. You didn't play South Carolina that year but you did beat GSU, ASU, and Furman. That Southern conference was horrible though. The weakest I think I ever say. App. State was blown out by an Eastern Kentucky team that didn't make the playoffs and almost lost to Morehead State at home. GSU was beat almost as badly by a very mediocre McNeese State team.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that the SoCon will be represented in the playoffs by the TO trio.

Wofford won the conference and went to the semis that year........ :(

TwoFeathers
September 15th, 2012, 11:01 PM
We may be riding our rank to some degree, but we didn't just fall to **** either. We had a bad game with some inexperienced players. We also did a much better job against Citadel than App, if anyone is resting on last year's achievements, it's them.

We're still a good team, we've just got some kinks to work out.

Agreed, E.W.

WataugaDave
September 15th, 2012, 11:02 PM
I'm pretty much in shock.

xbowx to The Citadel.

I don't like making excuses. We lost to the best team El Cid has had since God-knows-when.

I don't know what this means for Chatty or the playoffs, but it can't be good.

If North Carolina School of Agriculture and Diesel Exhaust (the one in Raleigh) looks past El Cid to think about Miami, they may have another thing coming.

Please God I hope this happens. It will make the loss worth it. I'll be cheering on the Citadel during that game for certain.

HappyHippie
September 15th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Our new staff will wake up to the expectations of this program - totally pathetic and unacceptable.

kdinva
October 6th, 2012, 05:20 PM
You are right that The Citadel has a tendency to fall apart every time they seem to show promise but...
The last time The Citadel won in Boone was 1992.
The last time The Citadel beat App. State and Georgia Southern was 2003, and I can tell you both teams are better than they were that year.

We'll just have to wait and see.

I am in shock of the last three results from Charleston........talk about Jekyl & Hide......I did not see this happening......not saying the 'Dogs were en-route to a 9-2 season, but not this drastic of a change since the ASU game......

cbarrier90
October 6th, 2012, 06:38 PM

Oh, what I would give to re-play this game...