PDA

View Full Version : Tarvaris Jackson Ready to Take Field with Vikings

TexasTerror
July 24th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Jackson is ready to work. At this point, Jackson may be the next I-AA QB to make it at the next level. We'll see what happens, but best of luck to Jackson!

Hard work nothing new for Vikings' Jackson
By Jim Souhan
Minneapolis Star Tribune

(MCT)

MONTGOMERY, Ala. - Coaches say rookies should be sponges, the better to absorb information, but at the moment, Tarvaris Jackson looks more like a wet towel. It's 98 degrees in the only patch of shade near Lanier High's football field, and the sweat pooling on Jackson's cantaloupe shoulders is threatening to form its own ecosystem.

In the Deep South, it's not the heat, it's not the humidity - it's the spontaneous combustion that gets you. As you swelter, you imagine trees bursting into flame and clocks melting as in a Dali landscape, yet there is Jackson, the Vikings' rookie quarterback, voluntarily running sprints, pulling a weighted sled and - get this - wearing long, black athletic leggings while the rest of the citizenry sips sweet tea and seeks shelter.

"They keep my legs warm," Jackson says of the leggings.

He will take the field for the first time in public as a Vikings quarterback Friday when the team opens the on-field portion of training camp in Mankato, Minn. Most fledgling NFL players hope they can survive. Jackson hopes he'll be able to break a sweat.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/15109639.htm

smallcollegefbfan
July 24th, 2006, 12:56 PM
He was almost the highest drafted small school player this year so it is no wonder he is doing well. I wonder who the top I-AA guy will be for this year? I am going to guess David Ball. Any draftniks out there seen who is supposed to be the top guy for this year yet?

Mr. C
July 25th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Justin Stepp, the Furman WR, told me that Ingle Martin has been doing well in Green Bay Packers camp. He was taking reps with the second team before Brett Favre decided to return, so it looks like Martin is No. 3 on the depth chart right now.

Tarvaris Jackson has an excellent chance to eventually see some PT. I think he is as good a bet for success as most of those first round QBs with the big names.

youwouldno
July 26th, 2006, 12:45 AM
As a Vikings fan, I questioned taking Jackson (especially in the 2nd round), but he definitely has a lot of positive qualities. My concern is that Childress seems to like athletic QBs even though they don't really fit in his system that well (i.e. Mike McMahon, who was with Childress in Philly and is now in Minnesota).

Gil Dobie
July 26th, 2006, 08:46 PM
QB Jackson agrees

QB Jackson agrees (http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/)

Vikings second-round pick Tarvaris Jackson has agreed to terms on a contract, according to his agent, Joel Segal. No specifics were immediately available. The quarterback played college football at Alabama State.

Hammerhead
July 26th, 2006, 09:15 PM
I'm a life-long Vikings fan and hope that Jackson does well. Regardless of what T. O. thinks, Donovan McNabb was considered an athletic QB and he's pretty dang good in Childress' system.

TexasTerror
July 30th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Jackson continues to reel in the publicity...

MANKATO, Minn. -- Tarvaris Jackson didn't win any ESPY awards like Vince Young.

His draft stock didn't skyrocket at the NFL Combine like Jay Cutler.

And the bouncers at those trendy Los Angeles night clubs that Matt Leinart likes to frequent wouldn't recognize Jackson if he was staring them right in the face.

But the little-known quarterback from Division I-AA Alabama State is out to show that the 2006 QB class doesn't end after the first round.

The anonymity suits Jackson just fine.

"I really don't even look into that stuff," he said. "The Vikings drafted me and that's all that I concentrate on -- me and my teammates. The rest of that stuff, that's the media stuff. I don't really get caught up in that stuff."

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=112679