PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys' Keith Davis (Fmr Bearkat) Shot

TexasTerror
July 16th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Best of wishes to former All-SLC Bearkat and current Dallas Cowboy Keith Davis in his recovery from being shot on a Dallas highway...
Although details remain sketchy, a spokesman for the Dallas police confirmed that Cowboys' starting free safety Keith Davis was shot twice early Sunday morning as he was driving westbound on Interstate 635.

Davis, 27, is being treated at the Baylor Medical Center for wounds that are not considered life-threatening and he is listed in stable condition. Police declined to comment on reports that Davis was wounded in the thigh and the head.

It was not immediately known how the injuries will affect Davis' availability for the start of training camp or for the season. The Cowboys are scheduled to report to camp in Oxnard, Calif., on July 28.

This marks the second time in Davis' career that he has been victimized by a shooting. He was shot in 2003 while a bystander outside a Dallas-area nightclub, was subsequently released that year, and sat out the entire season. He rejoined the Cowboys in 2004.

A former Sam Houston State star, Davis blossomed for the Cowboys in 2005 after playing primarily on special teams his first two seasons in the league. He started 15 games last season and finished fourth on the team with 68 tackles. He also led the club in special teams tackles, with 16 and had a forced fumble.

In April, the New Orleans Saints signed Davis to a restricted free agent offer sheet, but the Cowboys retained the three-year veteran by matching the offer. The contract will pay Davis slightly more than $3 million and included a $1.2 million roster bonus. Davis, who entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent in 2002, is scheduled to earn a base salary of $825,000 for 2006.

If there was one shortcoming in Davis' performance in 2005, it was an absence of big plays, as he authored no interceptions or fumble recoveries and posted just three passes defensed. In terms of skills-set, Davis is probably better suited to strong safety, but Dallas already has a Pro Bowl-caliber playing at that position, in Roy Williams.

Police said that, as of Sunday afternoon, they had no motive for the shooting and continue to seek suspects.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/071706dnspokdavis.1b414afc.html

bluehenbillk
July 17th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Something sounds really sketchy when you read it's the 2nd time on 3 years he's been shot.

TexasTerror
July 17th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Something sounds really sketchy when you read it's the 2nd time on 3 years he's been shot.

Oh, come on...xcoffeex

bluehenbillk
July 18th, 2006, 09:45 AM
I assume you're being sarcastic.

gokats85
July 18th, 2006, 10:51 AM
This marks the second time in three years that Davis has been shot. Nearly a month before the start of the 2003 training camp, Davis was also shot twice, once in the hip and the other in the elbow.

But while doctors cleared Davis to fully participate in that camp, he never got the opportunity. Head coach Bill Parcells, who was about to conduct his first camp with the Cowboys, made an example of Davis by releasing him just one day before the first practice in San Antonio.

Parcells admitted he wanted to send a message to his team about avoiding off-the-field trouble.

An excerpt from Nick Eatman, writer with dallascowboys.com

Let's see what happens now, with the new contract Davis signed not too long ago.

SU Jag
July 18th, 2006, 02:03 PM
I aint bying this story. There is something more to the story! Either he had a confrontation with someone or he spouted off at the wrong person! I seriously doubt that someone just shot him for the hell of it!

3rd Coast Tiger
July 18th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Oh, come on...xcoffeex

xlolx

downbythebeach
July 18th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Texas is a violent place.

Tod
July 18th, 2006, 11:41 PM

Hey, if they want to defend 2nd amendment rights to the point that innocent people get shot multiple times within a few years, that's their right.

Thank God I don't live in Texas.

:rolleyes: :D

kats89
July 19th, 2006, 08:00 AM

Violent place? According to what? It is violent everywhere.:rolleyes: This kinda crap happens all over the country, you just don't hear about it unless you are a starting free safety for the Dallas Cowboys.

Thank God I don't live in Texas.

Saying that and you live in Albuquerque?

TexasTerror
July 28th, 2006, 06:20 AM
New news on this story...where Davis has apparently changed his side of the story...

Cowboys' Davis changes shooting details, police say
By TRACI SHURLEY AND NATHANIEL JONES
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITERS

DALLAS — Cowboys football player Keith Davis has changed his story about where he had been before he was shot during the early morning hours of July 16, police said Thursday.

When detectives first visited him at the hospital, Davis told them he was on his way home from a trip to Louisiana. After he had been released from the hospital, Davis told police he was at a different location before the shooting, said Lt. Rick Watson, a Dallas police department spokesman

Watson refused to divulge what that other location was, only confirming that it was in Texas.

Dallas police said Thursday that they are looking for the occupants of a white truck who may have seen the vehicle involved in the shooting.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/15140077.htm

TexasTerror
July 28th, 2006, 06:09 PM
The latest from Cowboys Camp...

Parcells also said he doesn’t expect to take any disciplinary action against safety Keith Davis, who was shot on July 16 in an alleged carjacking attempt on Highway 635.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA072806.en.FBNcowboys.parcells.24bbe9.html

TexasTerror
July 30th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Davis has begun practicing with the 'Boys...

Safety Keith Davis Practices On First Day
As expected Cowboys Safety Keith Davis did practice with the team for the first day of training camp. Davis was shot twice weeks ago in Dallas.

He addressed the media for the first time in weeks Saturday. Davis was the Cowboys starting safety last season.

There have been reports that Davis lied about where he was just before the shooting. He was shot inside his car on a Dallas highway just before dawn.

He said he wants to be looked at as a player and not someone involved in a crime.

"The incident is the incident," Davis said. "You guys tried to make it more than what it was. Instead of focusing on the guy who shot me, ya'll wanted to focus on where I was coming from and what I was doing. The incident is over. I'm here to play football. I made it and my conditioning test. I feel good and I'm ready to go forward."

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5215189&nav=1TjF

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Good news, the bullet has been removed from his thigh...

Davis out: Free safety Keith Davis missed Saturday's game after undergoing surgery Friday to remove a bullet from his thigh.

Davis, a former Sam Houston State standout, was shot in July during an alleged car jacking.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA082706.05C.FBNcowboys.notebook.3605f7f.html