PDA

View Full Version : I-AA Time Warp

Mr. C
July 15th, 2006, 12:26 AM
While I'm sitting at home working on some of the final stuff for the 2006 I-AA.org preview magazine, it is like I'm in a I-AA Time Warp. Watching last night's CFL game between the British Columbia Lions and the Saskatchawan Rough Riders. Taking snaps for the Lions is Montana great Dave Dickenson. Under center for the Rough Riders is McNeese State great Kerry Joseph. Those guys nearly played for the 1995 I-AA national championship, but McNeese State got upset by Marshall in Lake Charles in the semifinals. One of the reasons I love CFL football is that you get the chance to see a lot of great players from I-AA.

Mr. C
July 15th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Joseph and the Rough Riders came from behind to win 29-28. Dickenson threw two interceptions in the end zone in final five minutes or so, the second one with 51 seconds left to clinch the game. Uncharacteristically, Dickenson flung his helmet about 30 yards after the second interception to draw a penalty.

TexasTerror
July 15th, 2006, 07:30 AM
One of the reasons I love CFL football is that you get the chance to see a lot of great players from I-AA.

Is that what you call Spergeron Wynn of Texas St-San Marcos, who plays for the Argos? Granted the Argos seem to have the worst OLine I've ever seen in my life and Ricky Williams is as slow as a snail behind them, but man...

No, I agree. I love watching the CFL...

JohnStOnge
July 15th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Is that what you call Spergeron Wynn of Texas St-San Marcos, who plays for the Argos? Granted the Argos seem to have the worst OLine I've ever seen in my life and Ricky Williams is as slow as a snail behind them, but man...

No, I agree. I love watching the CFL...

Wynn started some games in the NFL. In fact, his experience was one of those things that really baffled me. Wynn gets a shot at starting in the NFL while somebody like Kerry Joseph was made a DB and never given a shot?

Not to put Wynn down...but good GRIEF...Joseph was a much better quarterback in college and has been a much better quarterback all along. And it's not like he doesn't have the "NFL arm." He was a Louisiana AAAAA state champion in the Javelin in high school and had as strong an arm as you're going to see on a QB. Some McNeese guys claim he could throw it 90 yards. I'm skeptical because the record for longest throw in that NFL quarterback competition they hold in the off season is in the 70s...but I guarantee you the guy's arm was stronger when he came out of college than the overwhelming majority of quaterbacks drafted by the NFL each year.

Mr. C
July 15th, 2006, 11:28 AM
A lot of the racial stereotypes were still around when Kerry Joseph came out of college. He is an athlete, so let's move him somewhere else. Hopefully, those are being buried for the most part now, although you still get nut cases like Rush Limbaugh playing the race card every now and then. One thing about Canada, they have always been willing to give players like Joseph, Tracy Ham, Dave Dickenson, and now Richie Williams and Bruce Eugene, a chance to play QB.

bluehenbillk
July 17th, 2006, 09:38 AM
I'm probably in the minority overall but I love watching the CFL.

colgate13
July 17th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I'm probably in the minority overall but I love watching the CFL.

The forward man in motion for the offense freaks me out! :eek:

AZGrizFan
July 17th, 2006, 02:09 PM
The forward man in motion for the offense freaks me out! :eek:.
I love that rule! That's what makes Arena ball so fun to watch, too! I also love the 3 downs. They need to get rid of the 110 yard field, though, IMHO.
:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: