PDA

View Full Version : Southland Conference Welcomes Abilene Christian

smallcollegefbfan
August 25th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Abilene Christian University Returns to Southland Conference
Charter member rejoins league in 2013 after four-decade absence

FRISCO, Texas – The Southland Conference and Abilene Christian University announced Saturday that the institution will return to the league it helped found nearly a half-century ago. The Abilene, Texas-based university will rejoin the Southland on July 1, 2013, and will also begin the move from NCAA Division II to I at the same time.

ACU was one of five institutions that formed the Southland Conference on March 15, 1963, and its storied athletics program was a part of the league until 1972-73 when it departed for its current home, the Lone Star Conference.

When it returns to the league, Abilene Christian will participate in 16 of the Southland’s 17 sponsored championships, including men’s sports basketball, baseball, cross country, football, golf, tennis, and indoor and outdoor track and field. On the women’s side, ACU will compete in basketball, cross country, soccer, softball, tennis, indoor and outdoor track and field, and volleyball.

“The Southland Conference Board of Directors enthusiastically welcomes Abilene Christian University as our newest member,” said Dr. Baker Pattillo, Southland Board Chairman and the president at Stephen F. Austin State University. “We are honored to learn of the institution’s acceptance of our offer, we appreciate the approval from the ACU Board of Trustees, and we’ve admired the leadership of President Phil Schubert and the diligent work of Athletic Director Jared Mosley throughout this process. The Southland presidents look forward to a beneficial partnership with ACU and its athletic program.”

http://www.southland.org/News/tabid/476/Article/10394/abilene-christian-university-returns-to-southland-conference.aspx

smallcollegefbfan
August 25th, 2012, 12:58 PM
With ACU joining the SLC it will really enhance the talent of the league. There are a lot of players that I would go ahead and put on the All-SLC team right now. I'm really looking forward to this addition!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 25th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Didn't they win a playoff game 90-80 or something crazy a few years ago?

Catatonic
August 25th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the kind words, SmallCollegefbFan.

We do have some pretty fair players. Unfortunately, our two pre-season D2 All Americans graduate this year--our QB and place kicker.

We also just signed Will Latu to our offensive line, after he failed to qualify academically at Oklahoma. Not sure what that says about us, when we take a student who can't qualify at OU...not exactly the same as not qualifying at Rice, but I digress....

The harsh penalty of spending a four year transition period in which we can't compete for championships is bound to hurt our recruiting. Hopefully we will still be able to compete.

smallcollegefbfan
August 25th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the kind words, SmallCollegefbFan.

We do have some pretty fair players. Unfortunately, our two pre-season D2 All Americans graduate this year--our QB and place kicker.

We also just signed Will Latu to our offensive line, after he failed to qualify academically at Oklahoma. Not sure what that says about us, when we take a student who can't qualify at OU...not exactly the same as not qualifying at Rice, but I digress....

The harsh penalty of spending a four year transition period in which we can't compete for championships is bound to hurt our recruiting. Hopefully we will still be able to compete.

I don't see the K or QB playing in the NFL but there are some underclassmen like Latu who certainly could. A JC transfer Frain who is 6'2 and runs 4.4s is one I have my eye on. I also like Gabriel, Thor Woerner, and a few others on that team. You have some talent for sure! ACU just reloads!

Catatonic
August 25th, 2012, 01:22 PM

93-68 vs West Texas A&M.

ACU will never be called "linebacker u," for sure.

smallcollegefbfan
August 25th, 2012, 01:34 PM

Yes they did. If you go back and look at the starting lineups that day there were a lot of future NFL players who are still on rosters in that game. 93-68 over WTAMU back in 2008.

Here is a list of those who either got drafted or were brought into camps who started that day:

WTAMU
QB Keith Null- 6th rd Rams
RB Keithon Flemming- PFA signing
WR Charly Martin- PFA signing, still in NFL...Been with Panthers and Chargers, now with Seahawks
LT J'Marcus Webb- 6th round Bears and starts now
DE Brandon Swain- Got looks and I think got a tryout or contract

ACU
RB Bernard Scott- 6th or 7th round? Bengals
WR Johnny Knox- 5th round Bears
WR Edmund Gates- 4th round Dolphins
LT Tony Washington- Would have been a 5th round pick without baggage, combine invite
RT Trevis Turner- PFA who went to a training camp
QB Billy Malone- Did not get signed but got looks and was good. Had medical concerns and was older
DE Aston Whiteside- Got signed this year. Has been in 2 NFL camps

There are a lot of FCS teams right now who don't have that much NFL talent on their rosters.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 25th, 2012, 10:54 PM
SCFF is that your article? Just wanted to check because if it isn't.....

Why wouldn't you post a link even if it is your own article?

If this is someone else's work the this is very bad form and I'd ask that you repair this situation right away.

smallcollegefbfan
August 25th, 2012, 11:15 PM
SCFF is that your article? Just wanted to check because if it isn't.....

Why wouldn't you post a link even if it is your own article?

If this is someone else's work the this is very bad form and I'd ask that you repair this situation right away.

It's a press release from the SLC. I got it in an email without a link. Just found the link and edited the post.

I'm under the impression we technically don't have to link something from an official website. There is not one author of the post but the Southland Conference. I was told previously by Mr. C that it's not a must to link when it's coming from a league or school.

I see someone had to post a comment with negative rep points. Must admit for someone who is suppose to be an adult that is a little childish. I won't call their name out or start anything. Just would have been a little more mature for that person to PM me and point it out. It's been a while since I posted an article so I forgot and then I appreciate you pointing it out to me. I just don't see why another person had to chime in. They aren't the AGS police, are they? lol

ursus arctos horribilis
August 25th, 2012, 11:18 PM
It's a press release from the SLC. I got it in an email without a link. Just found the link and edited the post.

Ok, gotcha. Thanks for the effort.

smallcollegefbfan
August 25th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Ok, gotcha. Thanks for the effort.

No problem. Unless the press release has a link I usually don't post the link. If there is one I usually do though.

Catatonic
August 26th, 2012, 12:30 PM
I don't see the K or QB playing in the NFL but there are some underclassmen like Latu who certainly could. A JC transfer Frain who is 6'2 and runs 4.4s is one I have my eye on. I also like Gabriel, Thor Woerner, and a few others on that team. You have some talent for sure! ACU just reloads!

NFL or no NFL, losing a three year starter and consensus All American at QB with no experienced back up is not my idea of an ideal way to ease into D1. Agree though, we do have some talent that should return next year.

smallcollegefbfan
August 26th, 2012, 12:37 PM
NFL or no NFL, losing a three year starter and consensus All American at QB with no experienced back up is not my idea of an ideal way to ease into D1. Agree though, we do have some talent that should return next year.

Very true. I'm sure Kent will find a replacement. He will have a lot of weapons everywhere else. Best way to protect the new QB is have good RBs and a strong OL to keep him upright and take pressure off the passing game with a good ground game.

Side Judge
August 26th, 2012, 02:45 PM

I see someone had to post a comment with negative rep points. Must admit for someone who is suppose to be an adult that is a little childish. I won't call their name out or start anything. Just would have been a little more mature for that person to PM me and point it out. It's been a while since I posted an article so I forgot and then I appreciate you pointing it out to me. I just don't see why another person had to chime in. They aren't the AGS police, are they? lol

I bet it was Iola - he's an attention-grabbing ***...

Wildcat 86
August 27th, 2012, 11:26 AM

I wouldn't count on Frain. It may be too early to judge, but he's not very fluid and doesn't really seem to be much of a football player. After all, our weakness on D is our secondary (especially CB) and he's not starting yet. I've seen the man in practice, and it's not good.

Latu will be an NFL lineman. That guy is incredible. Remember his name, he may be starting for your favorite NFL team soon.

BEAR
August 27th, 2012, 11:34 AM
ACU

Punk who played at UCA and punched a coach and was kicked off that team. I wonder how many teams in college he actually played for during his career. Dude was fast, but what a hot head!

smallcollegefbfan
August 27th, 2012, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't count on Frain. It may be too early to judge, but he's not very fluid and doesn't really seem to be much of a football player. After all, our weakness on D is our secondary (especially CB) and he's not starting yet. I've seen the man in practice, and it's not good.

Latu will be an NFL lineman. That guy is incredible. Remember his name, he may be starting for your favorite NFL team soon.

I'll definitely find out next week after the Lonestar festival. I know several NFL folks going to the game. He's one I'm going to ask about!

smallcollegefbfan
August 27th, 2012, 02:18 PM
ACU

Punk who played at UCA and punched a coach and was kicked off that team. I wonder how many teams in college he actually played for during his career. Dude was fast, but what a hot head!

He went JC and then ACU. Scott matured and changed. Not the bad kid people thought. He would have been a 4th round pick, maybe 3rd rounder, if not for off field concerns.

Wildcat 86
August 27th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I'll definitely find out next week after the Lonestar festival. I know several NFL folks going to the game. He's one I'm going to ask about!

Latu is only a JR, but I wouldn't be surprised if he only plays one season with us. The only SR that might have any chance is a DE, Ryan Smith. This year will be HUGE for him, as he's dealt with lots of injuries throughout his career. He's 6'3" 295, has good hands and feet for a DE of that size, but hasn't really had a chance to shine. If he doesn't stay healthy this year, it will be moot point. If he does, I think he'll be a FA type that might stick on a team...for a year or so, anyway.

Another player we have that has a chance is another Jr, RT Blake Spears. He's 6'6" and roughly 290lbs, with really long arms, plays with a mean streak, but he doesn't have the quickest feet and he'll need to get stronger for the NFL. Probably also needs some work on his technique, too.

Funny that we have three players that have a shot at the NFL over the next two years and it feels like a drought of talent. We've been spoiled.

Wildcat 86
August 27th, 2012, 04:58 PM
ACU

I knew Scott personally. He wasn't the brightest bulb, nor was he immune to making mistakes, but he seriously matured during his two years here. He was really shy and mild-mannered, oddly enough. I wouldn't have bet 2 cents on his future when he first got here, but I changed my tune two years later.

smallcollegefbfan
August 27th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Latu is only a JR, but I wouldn't be surprised if he only plays one season with us. The only SR that might have any chance is a DE, Ryan Smith. This year will be HUGE for him, as he's dealt with lots of injuries throughout his career. He's 6'3" 295, has good hands and feet for a DE of that size, but hasn't really had a chance to shine. If he doesn't stay healthy this year, it will be moot point. If he does, I think he'll be a FA type that might stick on a team...for a year or so, anyway.

Another player we have that has a chance is another Jr, RT Blake Spears. He's 6'6" and roughly 290lbs, with really long arms, plays with a mean streak, but he doesn't have the quickest feet and he'll need to get stronger for the NFL. Probably also needs some work on his technique, too.

Funny that we have three players that have a shot at the NFL over the next two years and it feels like a drought of talent. We've been spoiled.

We will see on Latu. Scouts have his name and will peak at him early. I just mentioned him because I know that with his hype he is suppose to be good. Nobody knows for sure until they see him play. I have not seen him yet and simply going by what I've heard. After this weekend we will know if he truly lives up to the hype. Even if it's just flashes he needs to show he can dominate to live up to it.

You have more than 3 getting a look. I don't think Smith will get a look unless he lights it up this year or has a big pro day. Gale and Lineberry both are on the radar. I don't think any senior makes it this year though.

Spears is getting looks but don't forget about Gabriel the WR who is smaller but can run and put up numbers. If he keeps it up he will get looks. RB Charcandrick West is one to watch. ACU RBs seem to always get drafted or get a look here lately. Spears moving from left guard to left tackle will be interesting.

bigmikeacu
September 28th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Wow I am excited we already have some ACU posters on here. We are excited about joining the conference.

TheRevSFA
September 28th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Wow I am excited we already have some ACU posters on here. We are excited about joining the conference.

We aren't. Just kidding. We don't have issue with you. UIW and HBU are another story

bigmikeacu
September 28th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Oh we expect some to get some smack from some of you. Looking forward to that actually. Nice to be closer to many of the games now being from Houston.