bosshogg
July 12th, 2006, 11:32 AM
http://scstate.blogspot.com/2006/07/boys-are-getting-ready.html

AppGuy04
July 12th, 2006, 11:39 AM
If you want to start, you'll be there

colgate13
July 12th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Heck, even incoming freshman are making their way to this 'voluntary' summer workouts up at Colgate!

UNH 40
July 12th, 2006, 12:03 PM
It is the same at all schools. The coaches make it voluntary, but if you have a good core of upperclassmen they will make it manditory among there teammates. Right now UNH has between 50 and 70 players on a given day are up there for the summer work outs. If you want to become a better player you will be there, it makes all of the difference in the world. I stayed up at UNH for three full summers in a row, it helped me put on nearly 50 pounds, added speed and quickness, and brought us closer as a team. I attribute the recent success of the UNH football program in large part to the players staying for the summer and really dedicating themselves to becoming better players and a better football team.

eaglesrthe1
July 12th, 2006, 12:35 PM
From the article:

Instead of relaxing at home with family and friends before training camp starts on Aug. 5, the two offensive linemen and a large number of their teammates have been seen the past week around Oliver C. Dawson Stadium either working on agility drills on the practice field or lifting weights under the supervision of team strength and conditioning coach Thomas Stallworth.

I thought that players could not work under the supervision of coaches? Can anyone clarify?

colgate13
July 12th, 2006, 01:22 PM
From the article:

I thought that players could not work under the supervision of coaches? Can anyone clarify?

I believe strength coaches aren't technically football coaches...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 12th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I believe strength coaches aren't technically football coaches...

Yeah i don't think they are either.

UNH 40
July 12th, 2006, 01:28 PM
From the article:

It is not against NCAA policy for players to workout under the supervision of the university strength and conditioning coach(es). In my experience most of the time the football coaches weren't anywhere to be seen.

VictorG
July 12th, 2006, 01:31 PM
I heard somewhere that the entire Griz team stayed in Missoula for the voluntary work outs this summer. I can't verify that but that's what I heard.

colgate13
July 12th, 2006, 02:05 PM
I heard somewhere that the entire Griz team stayed in Missoula for the voluntary work outs this summer. I can't verify that but that's what I heard.

Entire?

You know somebody stayed home. I'd be shocked to see 100% of students there.

You know what school has it the best when it comes to this? Dartmouth. They don't operate on a semister system but rather on quarters. A student must be enrollled in 3 out of 4 quarters be year. A ton of fall athletes enroll for the 'summer' quarter and stay up at school to train before the season. They then take the 'winter' quarter off after the season. Kinda nice, huh?

Go...gate
July 12th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Right, 13. The Dartmouth (4-1-4-3) program was also used at Colgate for many years, until 1983. It really helped Dunlap's first two teams in '76 and '77.

Hamilton is really nice in the summer. Warm during the days and comfortable at night.

Umass74
July 12th, 2006, 02:43 PM
I believe that the players are not allowed to work out at the school's facilities without a coach being present because of liability problems.

I think there is some sort of formula. A coach can only supervise a certain number of players. Exceed that, and if a player is injured then circling lawyers drop like Stuka dive bombers on your school.

bosshogg
July 16th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Stronger

SCSU has an effective strength and conditioning coach in Thomas Stallworth

By THOMAS GRANT JR., T&D Senior Sports Writer
Sunday, July 16, 2006

An unsuspecting visitor to the Oliver C. Dawson Stadium weight room might initially confuse South Carolina State strength and conditioning coach Thomas Stallworth for a student-athlete.

It's been six years since Stallworth last played a down for the University of Tennessee, where he was a member of the 1998 national championship team. The 27-year-old former linebacker keeps himself in playing shape and the 500-pound squat lifts and 405-pound bench press he performs are similar to his high marks achieved in college.

"You look at him -- he's got that 'Mr. Clean' look," SCSU head football coach Oliver "Buddy" Pough said. "He's built like Gibraltar and those guys sees that and they try to emulate it. He's makes them measures up."

Once Stallworth's booming voice begins to shout instructions in the weight room over the booming hip hop music blasting from his beat box, it's quickly evident who's the instructor. Having gained the attention of those athletes in attendance for their daily workout, Stallworth demonstrates the proper way to complete a three repetition exercise which involves lunging forward while holding upright 100 pounds of weight equipment.

"It's not about the impact of the foot," Stallworth tells the players before starting their first reps. "It's about your foot speed, so I shouldn't here you all stomping! That's not the objective! It's about working on your first step!

Stallworth continues to yell instructions and provide encouragement as he closely watches the players going through their reps to makes sure they'll utilizing the right muscles. He does not hesitate to admonish a player who's not fulfilling the objective of this particular exercise, which like most of Stallworth's workout sessions, focuses primarily on strengthening the leg area.

"I always emphasize leg strength and leg endurance because all sports revolve around your leg -- strength, leg use, speed of the game, agility, quickness, all of that," Stallworth said. "No game is played with the upper body. It's all played with the lower body."

"It's a tough job," said Pough about being a strength and conditioning coach. "It's not a job where you generally can be real friendly. You have to make people do a lot of what they don't want to do sometimes. But he fits that role perfectly."

FROM ROCKY TOP TO BULLDOG COUNTRY

Such diligence is why Pough saw Stallworth as a good fit to fill the vacant position of school strength and conditioning coach. Despite no previous experience, the Lathonia, Ga. native and Volunteers' graduate assistant made a strong impression during the interview two years ago with Pough and athletics director Charlene Johnson and has quickly done the same with the SCSU student-athletes.

"He came over with high recommendations," Pough said. "One of our coach's son (running backs coach Gerald Harrison) who's involved in that staff up there (UT administrative assistant/high school relations Gerald Harrison Jr.) who kind of got both of us together. We got him down here and got him in front of Mrs. Johnson because he's technically a hire for the entire department and they hit it off."

Along with the recommendations, Stallworth brought a rich pedigree from Tennessee in the form of knowledge acquired from a slew of associate coaches such as Chris Carlisle (Southern Cal), Tommy Moffitt (LSU) and Noel Durfey (Ole Miss) who are now strength and conditioning coaches at other Division I-A programs.

"Coming from Tennessee, it was a program that's always had a bloodline for developing credible strength and conditioning coaches," he said. "I've been blessed to have been trained by a lot of credible guys that bought an enjoyment and enlightenment to me about the field. So once I found that, it made me want to do it."

'AN ATHLETIC STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING COACH'

Once Stallworth arrived at SCSU, he found specifically with the football team a high number of players with "overdeveloped" physiques which left them ill-suited to have success in their particular sport. Implementing a training program which focuses on making weight room strength translate to the playing field, Stallworth alternates weekdays between lifting weights and working on agility and coordination drills.

"You can have some guys that are strong in the weight room, but don't have it on the field," he said. "It's more about a confidence and a motivational thing."

While Stallworth said offensive lineman James Lee, quarterback Cleveland McCoy, running backs Deshawn Baker and Jo Jo McFadden, BANDIT Marshall McFadden and linebacker Tony White are among the team's strongest players, he still finds himself on occasion having to re-establish his own physical prowess.

"There are times where guys jokingly challenge me to something and I get out there and perform it, whether it's conditioning, lifting weights or what not," Stallworth said. "The ability to show proof in your work is important because this generation of athletes now that they believe that you have to show some kind of credibility for them to perform. I always tell them that I'm not going to do anything that I've never done and I'm not going to ask you to do anything that I wouldn't do myself."

Stallworth does cater his workouts towards certain positions as quarterbacks are more opt to focus more arm strength and speed rather than offensive lineman. Regardless of the position and sport, Stallworth makes sure the demands are met equally.

"He's an athletic strength and conditioning guy," Pough said. "He understands speed. He understands conditioning. He understands strength. He understands the different kids of exercise that it takes for the different sports. He knows what part of a body needs to be strong for an individual in their sport. He has the whole package and in football, it's no different than the rest of our sports. Our guys know that when they go in there that he's going to be proficient in what particular style of what needs to be done and our team is different because of it."

'HE STAYS ON YOU'

Under Stallworth, the SCSU football team has gradually improved in overall strength and durability the past two seasons, according to Pough. He also sees a team which now measures up physically with the Hampton's and Bethune-Cookman's.

"We've been, in the past, a little bit of a sloppy-looking football team and we're starting to look like a much better football team. They're aren't very many fat cats out there and they know that they can't hang if they're fat cats. They've got to be able to make it through those workouts and if they do, then they'll much better because of it."

Stallworth's style is more than appreciated by SCSU offensive linemen Clyde Reed and Raymond Harrison, two players who earned All-Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference honors last season.

"He stays on you, Reed said. "He makes you finish your reps, makes you give you're all and do your best."

"He never lets you slack up," Harrison said. "He always keeps the pressure on you when you work out. He tries to get the best out of you."

With the entire team attending voluntary workouts with Stallworth during the second summer session, the Bulldogs are hoping to continue to build from last year's voluntary workouts which produce a more physically imposing and durable squad.

"My upper body has gotten way stronger since I started working with him," Harrison said. "It's easier to move people around."

"Coming from Tennessee, he brings something new to us that we've never done before," Reed said. "So everybody is taking heed to it and getting stronger and getting better and getting into shape."

If SCSU needed any added motivation, Stallworth has been known as a last resort to pull out his 1998 Volunteers' national championship ring. He did this in 2004 when SCSU tied with Hampton for the MEAC regular-season title, but Stallworth now believes the best way he's helping the school is by getting all the student-athletes into championship shape.

"Every person has a right to their own legacy in some way," he said. "My time as a player is over, now it's my time as a coach. So, I want to create a legacy of sorts with that."

T&D Senior Sports Writer Thomas Grant Jr. can be reached by e-mail at [email protected] or by phone at 803-533-5547. Discuss this and other stories online at TheT&D.com.

DTSpider
July 16th, 2006, 08:29 AM
I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the NCAA changed the rules this year to allow incoming freshman to receive aid for summer classes. So now even incoming freshmen are involved with these workouts too.

MplsBison
July 16th, 2006, 08:34 AM
You can tell the strength of a program by how many players stay for summer workouts.

The good teams will have their starters and back ups there. The powerhouses will have more and most of their incoming freshmen there for the summer!

I believe the NCAA allows players to be supervised by a strength coach for 8 hours/week or something to that effect.

No coaches (strength or otherwise) can supervise any drills that include the use of a football. IE, any 7 on 7 or whatever have you can't have coaches present.

I don't believe contact with a position coach is allowed during the summer, ball or not.