PDA

View Full Version : REPORT: CAA Formally Invites App State/Davidson/Charleston

Pages : 1 [2]

State Line Liquors
July 10th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Thanks for confirming I'm correct and you have no comeback.

A comeback for what? In my initial post I said that YSU is not on the radar of the CAA. I don't need a comeback for that. They're not being considered. They don't meet the institutional profile of what the CAA is looking for. Period, end of story.

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 01:28 PM
A comeback for what? In my initial post I said that YSU is not on the radar of the CAA. I don't need a comeback for that. They're not being considered. They don't meet the institutional profile of what the CAA is looking for. Period, end of story.

Which of course is pure, steaming bulls___.

Nothing more than a Delaware fan pretending that what Delaware wants still matters in the CAA. It don't. Not no more.

The CAAFC is a one-off conference, for football. Institutional profile is utterly irrelevant in that case, you know it, your sister knows it.

Not saying Youngstown is being considered, but they darn well could be one of the best possible candidates for CAAFC expansion. There's not a single CAAFC expansion candidate that will even be discussed for CAA membership. Those are going to be southern basketball schools.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 10th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Like I said, waiting forever.

You've never done a journalistic thing in your life. You upload extended message board posts to a free-hosted blog and you don't get paid to do it.

Still waiting.
http://www.college-sports-journal.com

State Line Liquors
July 10th, 2012, 01:33 PM
The CAAFC is a one-off conference, for football. Institutional profile is utterly irrelevant in that case, you know it, your sister knows it.

Not saying Youngstown is being considered, but they darn well could be one of the best possible candidates for CAAFC expansion. There's not a single CAAFC expansion candidate that will even be discussed for CAA membership. Those are going to be southern basketball schools.

Elon. Boom. Roasted. I don't even have a sister, but she went there, and I screwed 3 of her sorority sisters. They were blonde.

asumike83
July 10th, 2012, 01:34 PM

Furman, Elon, Appalachian.

Elon is the only one I'd expect to make the jump but all three play football and would certainly be considered for full CAA membership if interested.

danefan
July 10th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Furman, Elon, Appalachian.

Elon is the only one I'd expect to make the jump but all three play football and would certainly be considered for full CAA membership if interested.

Do you think Elon would go without anyone else from Socon?

State Line Liquors
July 10th, 2012, 02:00 PM

Yes.

asumike83
July 10th, 2012, 02:03 PM

Hard to say. I base this only on what I've heard from their fans but I wouldn't be surprised. Their alumni come more from the mid-Atlantic and Northeast than anywhere, so the CAA could be a good fit for them. Although they aren't a SoCon football member, I think Charleston may be headed that way as well which could ease their minds a bit.

whitey
July 10th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Although they aren't a SoCon football member, I think Charleston may be headed that way as well which could ease their minds a bit.

Yeah, there was a post on the CofC boards after Cougar Club meeting that made it sound like everyone (AD, President, etc.) is for the move and they are just waiting on formal approval from their BoT.

jmu_duke07
July 10th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Yeah, there was a post on the CofC boards after Cougar Club meeting that made it sound like everyone (AD, President, etc.) is for the move and they are just waiting on formal approval from their BoT.

Bad news, CofC doesn't have football... Good news, CofC's bball arena is 5 blocks from my place!

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Elon. Boom. Roasted. I don't even have a sister, but she went there, and I screwed 3 of her sorority sisters. They were blonde.

Why would Elon make a lateral move from the SoCon to the CAAFC, away from a regional league to play games in Maine and New Hampshire? Not to mention, they wouldn't have anywhere to put their bball and other sports. ASun? Nonsense. They're not even on the table. Even less than that are App and Furman. They ain't moving anywhere, unless it's to a FBS league.

CAA ain't adding any school that plays football in the SoCon.

It's Davidson and Charleston. That's your CAA expansion.

So suck on that. My hope is that the football admin duties will shift over to the AE - that would really blow it up your a___ for blackmail.

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Yes.

Nope.

State Line Liquors
July 10th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I'll give you credit, you do have spunk. But you're talking yourself into a knot Bison boy. If the CAA is a justifiable move for Davidson and Charleston from the SoCon, then of course it's a justifiable move for Elon. The App State fan already enumerated Elon's reasoning in detail.

CID1990
July 10th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Hey CAA please take cofc and Davidson. Please.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 10th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I'll give you credit, you do have spunk. But you're talking yourself into a knot Bison boy. If the CAA is a justifiable move for Davidson and Charleston from the SoCon, then of course it's a justifiable move for Elon. The App State fan already enumerated Elon's reasoning in detail.

Mpls will always be plowing forward, ignoring all feedback and never admitting he's wrong (see: non-sequitur post pages ago).

It's a recipe for life that has apparently served him well. xlolx

cbarrier90
July 10th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Hey CAA please take cofc and Davidson. Please.

Only if the A-Sun takes Greensboro.

Somebody please take Greensboro...

fc97
July 10th, 2012, 05:20 PM
no one other than charleston or appalachian is going to leave without a fairly southern division being made. charleston is most likely. davidson is only going with partnership of elon or furman or both. appalachian who knows.

mplsbison, stick to the midwest where you know what you are talking about.

PaladinFan
July 10th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Only if the A-Sun takes Greensboro.

Somebody please take Greensboro...

I always forget the Spartans are in the SoCon.

I can totally see what benefit Davidson brings to the CAA, but I don't see the exchange for Davidson. Davidson is central to the best basketball in the country, and plays a tough schedule every season against the likes of Duke and UNC. If the state of North Carolina had nothing to offer in basketball, then Davidson should try to move conferences and get a tougher schedule. It does not make sense to leave the comforts of an easy travel schedule and an already respectable OOC schedule for a mid-major to start hoofing it up the eastern seaboard.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 10th, 2012, 05:25 PM
mplsbison, stick to the midwest where you know what you are talking about.

What the?xlolx

Dane96
July 10th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I hate to say it...cuz he is a douche of epic proportions....but I am going to wager that MPLS will be closer than you all think when this is said and done.

AppMan
July 10th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Why would Elon make a lateral move from the SoCon to the CAAFC, away from a regional league to play games in Maine and New Hampshire? Not to mention, they wouldn't have anywhere to put their bball and other sports. ASun? Nonsense. They're not even on the table. Even less than that are App and Furman. They ain't moving anywhere, unless it's to a FBS league.

CAA ain't adding any school that plays football in the SoCon.

It's Davidson and Charleston. That's your CAA expansion.

So suck on that. My hope is that the football admin duties will shift over to the AE - that would really blow it up your a___ for blackmail.

Like Charleston, a large portion of Elon's student body is from the northeast. It makes perfect sense for them to be in a league that provides them exposure in those areas. I like to compare schools to corporations and athletic departments as the advertising arm of the university. While it is almost impossible to figure a return on the dollars invested, schools are basically forced to spend those dollars in order to keep the company name in front of their potential customer base. That is one reason many schools will tolerate running deficits in the athletics department. They may not like it and try to keep it from getting out of control, but see it as the cost of doing business.

asumike83
July 10th, 2012, 06:04 PM
None of us know what will happen but if the CAA approaches Elon about membership, I think it would be a mistake for them to decline. They have only been in the SoCon since 2003, so they do not have to worry about uprooting long-standing conference rivalries. They would remain in a premier FCS football conference while basketball would be better on the court and in terms of revenue. Travel would increase but they would have conference mates in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast, which is where many of their alumni live and their students are largely drawn from. It would seem to be a very wise move for them.

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Elon may have only joined the SoCon in 2003, but they've been in southern conferences since 1930: founding member of North State (primarily NC colleges), South Atlantic, Big South and SoCon. I know it's wikipedia, but for what it's worth it says that about a third of their student body is from North Carolina.

I'm not feeling this Northeastern desperation vibe that you're trying to force upon them. They're not going to spend a bunch of money to play Maine and New Hampshire in football when they're already in a better football conference with schools in the Carolinas. And with Elon is a combo deal, football and basketball or they don't move. SoCon isn't going to let them keep playing football only in the conference and the CAA doesn't really want them for bball.

Davidson will go with Charleston to the CAA because that conference desperately needs a bit of a "name" school that people who watch March Madness can recognize - to save the TV contract on Versus. Curry did more for that school in one year than any of the other SoCon bball schools have done in their history. They'll get a sweet deal with the CAA with all the money that VCU is leaving behind and they'll save the day with Versus, which doesn't give a crap about Delaware football and will ultimately drop football coverage from the package after poor ratings this season.

And, of course, more than anything - I just want Delaware to get shafted as hard as possible for the blackmail they pulled on the CAA and the AE. The best scenario for me would for the CAA to become a bball-centric league and the ditching the football admin duties to the AE, which promptly invites Albany and SBU to join and extends an open invitation to Hartford, Binghampton and Vermont should they start new, scholarship programs.

Saint3333
July 10th, 2012, 06:53 PM
If mpls is saying no chance for Elon it must be inevitable.

Dane96
July 10th, 2012, 06:59 PM
No way Hartford, UVM and Bing (maybe...but doubtful) start football programs.

Albany and SBU in the same league again, well....stay tuned........maybe.

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 07:00 PM
If mpls is saying no chance for Elon it must be inevitable.

Of course it's not 'no chance'. It just doesn't make any sense for them. It's paying more money to travel farther for a lateral move at best in their premier sport.

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 07:01 PM
No way Hartford, UVM and Bing (maybe...but doubtful) start football programs.

Albany and SBU in the same league again, well....stay tuned........maybe.

No way....in the near term, sure.

You don't get to say what happens in the mid to long term.

Saint3333
July 10th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Of course it's not 'no chance'. It just doesn't make any sense for them. It's paying more money to travel farther for a lateral move at best in their premier sport.

I'll stand by my statement. Could you do a pick 'em each week with Vegas lines this fall?

State Line Liquors
July 10th, 2012, 08:15 PM
I love this. Delaware:Mpls ; Israel:Ahmadinejad

It's the great Delaware conspiracy. Hava nagila!

http://i.pbase.com/u23/automat42/upload/37024583.WaitingfortheBrooklynFerry.jpg

Dane96
July 10th, 2012, 08:56 PM
No way....in the near term, sure.

You don't get to say what happens in the mid to long term.

I can pretty much say...NO WAY.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, I give this douchenozzle some credit and he comes back with a **** sandwich.

BlueHenSinfonian
July 10th, 2012, 09:21 PM
And, of course, more than anything - I just want Delaware to get shafted as hard as possible for the blackmail they pulled on the CAA and the AE. The best scenario for me would for the CAA to become a bball-centric league and the ditching the football admin duties to the AE, which promptly invites Albany and SBU to join and extends an open invitation to Hartford, Binghampton and Vermont should they start new, scholarship programs.

What blackmail would that be? A-10 Football was a hacked together solution from the beginning. Of the 12 original A-10 Football schools only two, Rhode Island and UMass, where full A-10 members. Delaware, Northeastern, Boston U, Maine, and New Hampshire were in the A-East, JMU, W&M, and Richmond were in the CAA, and Villanova and UConn were in the Big East. Given that half of the Yankee Conference, which gave birth to A-10 football, were already A-East members, maybe it would have made more sense for the A-East to take over administration of Yankee Conference football, but it didn't happen that way.

Yes, Delaware decided to upgrade their basketball and olympic sports programs by joining the CAA in '01 and took Drexel, Towson, and Hofstra along for the ride, but the A-East survived, and none of those moves impacted the A-10. In '05 when Northeastern decided to join the CAA the CAA suddenly had enough football schools to sponsor the sport. The non-CAA A-10 football schools could have survived as a conference, but only three schools, URI, UMass and now Richmond, had any connection with the rest of the A-10. Two others, UNH and Maine were still in the A-East, and Villanova was still Big East.

With the CAA having the greatest portion of the schools as full members it made sense for the CAA to absorb A-10 football so that the greatest number of schools could play under a single conference.

fc97
July 11th, 2012, 12:24 AM
what you are saying is, you dont like the reasons given for why elon would move and are instead saying because that you dont like the reasons that elon wont be moving

there are many reasons for elon to stay or move and all are valid. like it has been said, less than 1/4 of the students are from nc anymore. most of the alumni are from nc going north up to boston, not south. that is also the area where elon has a known name. its a lateral move for football and a step down in baseball. but, it puts the school in an area where regular alumni events can be centered around athletics, which keeps alumni involved with increases giving and keeps the name published cheaply in the primary recruiting areas.

elon is near the top of the conference in athletic spending, which is middle to bottom of the caa. davidson would be at the bottom of the caa and middle to bottom of socon and so is charleston. all are interested in going on some level. but travel expenses are a worry for all given where their spending is compared to the rest of the caa. but thats not an apples to apples comparison anyway.

elon leaves if it makes sense to elons admins. i think it would be stupid in the long run not to take it. but i also dont run a college or athletics department

ASUMountaineer
July 11th, 2012, 07:49 AM
I hate to say it...cuz he is a douche of epic proportions....but I am going to wager that MPLS will be closer than you all think when this is said and done.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

ASUMountaineer
July 11th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Elon may have only joined the SoCon in 2003, but they've been in southern conferences since 1930: founding member of North State (primarily NC colleges), South Atlantic, Big South and SoCon. I know it's wikipedia, but for what it's worth it says that about a third of their student body is from North Carolina.

I'm not feeling this Northeastern desperation vibe that you're trying to force upon them. They're not going to spend a bunch of money to play Maine and New Hampshire in football when they're already in a better football conference with schools in the Carolinas. And with Elon is a combo deal, football and basketball or they don't move. SoCon isn't going to let them keep playing football only in the conference and the CAA doesn't really want them for bball.

Davidson will go with Charleston to the CAA because that conference desperately needs a bit of a "name" school that people who watch March Madness can recognize - to save the TV contract on Versus. Curry did more for that school in one year than any of the other SoCon bball schools have done in their history. They'll get a sweet deal with the CAA with all the money that VCU is leaving behind and they'll save the day with Versus, which doesn't give a crap about Delaware football and will ultimately drop football coverage from the package after poor ratings this season.

Have you ever been to Elon?

ElonFirefighter
July 11th, 2012, 08:17 AM
what you are saying is, you dont like the reasons given for why elon would move and are instead saying because that you dont like the reasons that elon wont be moving

there are many reasons for elon to stay or move and all are valid. like it has been said, less than 1/4 of the students are from nc anymore. most of the alumni are from nc going north up to boston, not south. that is also the area where elon has a known name. its a lateral move for football and a step down in baseball. but, it puts the school in an area where regular alumni events can be centered around athletics, which keeps alumni involved with increases giving and keeps the name published cheaply in the primary recruiting areas.

elon is near the top of the conference in athletic spending, which is middle to bottom of the caa. davidson would be at the bottom of the caa and middle to bottom of socon and so is charleston. all are interested in going on some level. but travel expenses are a worry for all given where their spending is compared to the rest of the caa. but thats not an apples to apples comparison anyway.

elon leaves if it makes sense to elons admins. i think it would be stupid in the long run not to take it. but i also dont run a college or athletics department

You cant look at Elon like that. In our early history yes we were a NC only school; one that was look at as a fall back and had less than 2000 students. Recently we have grown to a regional/national school. We just hired a west coast admission rep. More than 75% of our alumni base is post 2000. This is when we made the transition to go after the northern schools. So while in our history we were a NC school, we have broadened our base to go after the best nationally and internationally.

Today only 25% are from NC. If you take the below states that’s 25% NC, 25% CAA without UNCW. Now if we look at neighboring states it would be NC-25, CAA without UNCW 33%. Now if the CAA can create a southern division and we can add in NC that would count for 58% of our students. Remember percentages would be higher for out of state since this data is only top 5%.
Enrollment 2011-12
Undergraduate: 5,225
Graduate: 691
Total: 5,916
On-campus residents: 60%
Male/female ratio: 41%/59%
Ethnic diversity: 14%
Top states (undergrad):
NC – 25%
MD, MA, NJ – 8% each
VA - 7%
CT, PA, NY - 5%
FL - 4%

henfan
July 11th, 2012, 08:17 AM
What blackmail would that be?... Given that half of the Yankee Conference, which gave birth to A-10 football, were already A-East members, maybe it would have made more sense for the A-East to take over administration of Yankee Conference football, but it didn't happen that way.

Yes, Delaware decided to upgrade their basketball and olympic sports programs by joining the CAA in '01 and took Drexel, Towson, and Hofstra along for the ride, but the A-East survived, and none of those moves impacted the A-10.

Yes, it would have made sense for the AEC to sponsor FB and that's exactly the plan that former UD president David Roselle sponsored with several AEC counterparts. The plan shot down by UVm, BU and UHartford would have had the AEC absorb the remains of the CAA (minus UNCW), thus creating an all-sport expanded AEC.

UD's primary objective in 2000 wasn't to upgrade Olympic sports, so much as it was to place all sports in a single conference. Having its 'breadwinning' sport as an affiliate member of another conference wasn't exactly an ideal situation from so many standpoints. Yes, the end result of the move to the CAA was an upgrade in competition for most sports but that could have been achieved de facto with an AEC takeover of the CAA. UD reluctantly moved to the CAA when it became apparent that the AEC was never going to have the votes needed to sponsor FB and the CAA made a clear commitment to sponsoring the sport.

aceinthehole
July 11th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Yes, it would have made sense for the AEC to sponsor FB and that's exactly the plan that former UD president David Roselle sponsored with several AEC counterparts. The plan shot down by UVm, BU and UHartford would have had the AEC absorb the remains of the CAA (minus UNCW), thus creating an all-sport expanded AEC.

How do you know this as fact? This newspaper reports from the time seems to indicated UHa did not vote against the merger, but UMaine, BU, NU, and UVM did.

At the time both Maine and NU, who were Yankee Conference members, both voted against the AE-CAA merger. The issue, for those schools, wasn't just about football - it was theconcerns over increased travel to Virginia and UNCW for olympic sports.

Without expansion, four members of America East - Delaware, Hofstra, Drexel, and Towson - are expected to join the CAA. If that happens, America East will be reduced to six teams - the four who voted against expansion, plus Hartford and New Hampshire.

After the original vote was taken, the issue was thought to be dead. But Delaware and its partners pushed the issue again, knowing a meeting of athletic directors was on the calendar. Hofstra, which functions as an independent in football, also was pressing the issue because it felt it needed a conference. As a last-ditch compromise to keep Hofstra in the fold, some members of America East tried to work a deal that would have Hofstra join the Atlantic 10 for football. There also was a push by the CAA to put together a football conference that included Hofstra, Delaware, William & Mary, [James Madison], and two other schools.

Barring any last-minute changes, Delaware, Hofstra, Drexel, and Towson are expected to accept the CAA's offer. The deal would not be official until the presidents of the schools agree, but that should be a formality.
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/boston/access/62710291.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Oct+18%2C+2000&author=Mark+Blaudschun%2C+Globe+Staff&pub=Boston+Globe&desc=ADDITION+CREATING+DIVISION+IN+AMERICA+EAST&pqatl=google

This article also makes it clear thant Maine was one of the schools that voted against expansion.

At the same time, Maine and Vermont were two schools that opposed additional teams in their conference, citing increases in travel costs and missed class time. The idea of 16 schools competing for one automatic bid in basketball also loomed as a concern.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2000-09-27/sports/0009270153_1_america-east-east-schools-school-in-america

henfan
July 11th, 2012, 09:37 AM
How do you know this as fact?

Ace, I spoke with someone at UD involved in the discussions back in 2000. According to my UD AD source at the time, UMaine wavered in September due to the travel cost issue but, by early October, was on board with absorbing the CAA, especially when it became clear that UNCW would not be part of the plan. I was told that UVM, BU and Hartford were NEVER on board, EVER. I was told that NU supported it. If Blaudschun was suggesting that NU didn't support the idea, his source conflicts with mine. (NUFB could likely confirm what he heard as well.) I trust my source; you can choose to trust Blaudschun if you wish. I won't be offended.

BTW, UMaine & NU were members of A-10 FB at that time, not the Yankee Conference. The A-10 assumed administration of the defunct YankCon prior to the '97 season.

Another thing about the 2000 deal, it was going to happen & UNCW would have either had to like it or lump it. The proposal on the table was a TAKEOVER, not a merger of equals. The latter would have been idle wishing on the part of Yeager and spin by Bradley-Doppes, whose school would have likely had to seek membership elsewhere. Yeager would have likely been out of a job.

I often wonder what might have happened if UD, HU, TU & DU went to the AEC prior to moving to the CAA in a last ditch effort to preserve AEC membership. Frankly, at that point, after having worked through much of the summer and early fall on the plan, those 4 schools might have been a little exasperated. IMO, it's too bad that the AEC allowed its future to be dictated by schools who didn't even feature football.

AshevilleApp2
July 11th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Hey!!

Isn't this thread supposed to be all about Appalachian State xeyebrowx :D

Dane96
July 11th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Henfan...maybe this last post can start our respectability tour :)

Henfan is absolutely correct in his first three paragraphs. WITHOUT QUESTION. And Mark Blaudschun is a shill...plain and simple. He is one of the worst reporters out there and has his lips wrapped around BC's.....you get the point.

Everything I know about NU from then and now (the recent move to bring AE hockey and football) tells me that Mark's comments are way way out of whack. And I have gotten this from an Albany, NU and Hofstra perpsective and people deep within the athletic administration of all three (then and now).

Dane96
July 11th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Hey!!

Isn't this thread supposed to be all about Appalachian State xeyebrowx :D

Clearly, we are not talking about marrying sisters and cousins anymore...so it went off track I guess.

;)

TheRevSFA
July 11th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Hey..it's July 11th...

and...App State has as many invites from the CAA, SBC, CUSA, as Cano had Home Runs in the Home Run Derby

asumike83
July 11th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Hey..it's July 11th...

and...App State has as many invites from the CAA, SBC, CUSA, as Cano had Home Runs in the Home Run Derby

He hit one?!

Lehigh Football Nation
July 11th, 2012, 09:58 AM

UD's primary objective in 2000 wasn't to upgrade Olympic sports, so much as it was to place all sports in a single conference. Having its 'breadwinning' sport as an affiliate member of another conference wasn't exactly an ideal situation from so many standpoints. Yes, the end result of the move to the CAA was an upgrade in competition for most sports but that could have been achieved de facto with an AEC takeover of the CAA. UD reluctantly moved to the CAA when it became apparent that the AEC was never going to have the votes needed to sponsor FB and the CAA made a clear commitment to sponsoring the sport.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the unwillingness of the AE to sponsor football - then as now - ultimately causes the breakup of the AE in 2013.

phoenix3
July 11th, 2012, 10:08 AM
You cant look at Elon like that. In our early history yes we were a NC only school; one that was look at as a fall back and had less than 2000 students. Recently we have grown to a regional/national school. We just hired a west coast admission rep. More than 75% of our alumni base is post 2000. This is when we made the transition to go after the northern schools. So while in our history we were a NC school, we have broadened our base to go after the best nationally and internationally.

Today only 25% are from NC. If you take the below states that’s 25% NC, 25% CAA without UNCW. Now if we look at neighboring states it would be NC-25, CAA without UNCW 33%. Now if the CAA can create a southern division and we can add in NC that would count for 58% of our students. Remember percentages would be higher for out of state since this data is only top 5%.
Enrollment 2011-12
Undergraduate: 5,225
Graduate: 691
Total: 5,916
On-campus residents: 60%
Male/female ratio: 41%/59%
Ethnic diversity: 14%
Top states (undergrad):
NC – 25%
MD, MA, NJ – 8% each
VA - 7%
CT, PA, NY - 5%
FL - 4%

I completely don't understand your argument with what 97 posted based on what you posted. MD, MA, NJ, VA, CT, PA, & NY supply a total of 46% of our current enrolment. All of these are states in which CAA schools are located. Assume for a moment that along with UNCW, Davidson and we go to the CAA. That means another 25% of the current enrolment come from the CAA footprint. So, a minimum of 71% of our current enrolment would be from the CAA footprint. (There are other northeastern states that supply Elon students as well, they just don't rise to 4%). Fast forward a couple of years and App will likely be gone if they keep to their current mission statement to move to FBS. That leaves UNCG and WCU from the SoCon in NC. Yes there will be an increase in travel costs, but IMO that would likely be neutralized by the exposure into the states from where the bulk of our enrolment come. The other thing that needs to be understood is that "today's students" can also be stated as "tomorrow's alumni", or "future donors". When looking at this from a purely statistical viewpoint, in my mind it's hard to reason why we wouldn't go if we get an invite should Davidson go as well. Add Furman and CoC into that mix and it would be brain dead not to go.

Dane96
July 11th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Wouldn't it be ironic if the unwillingness of the AE to sponsor football - then as now - ultimately causes the breakup of the AE in 2013.

It won't....if what we have heard comes to fruition. We shall see in a couple of weeks.

But yes, I agree with your statement otherwise.

ElonFirefighter
July 11th, 2012, 10:31 AM
I completely don't understand your argument with what 97 posted based on what you posted. MD, MA, NJ, VA, CT, PA, & NY supply a total of 46% of our current enrolment. All of these are states in which CAA schools are located. Assume for a moment that along with UNCW, Davidson and we go to the CAA. That means another 25% of the current enrolment come from the CAA footprint. So, a minimum of 71% of our current enrolment would be from the CAA footprint. (There are other northeastern states that supply Elon students as well, they just don't rise to 4%). Fast forward a couple of years and App will likely be gone if they keep to their current mission statement to move to FBS. That leaves UNCG and WCU from the SoCon in NC. Yes there will be an increase in travel costs, but IMO that would likely be neutralized by the exposure into the states from where the bulk of our enrolment come. The other thing that needs to be understood is that "today's students" can also be stated as "tomorrow's alumni", or "future donors". When looking at this from a purely statistical viewpoint, in my mind it's hard to reason why we wouldn't go if we get an invite should Davidson go as well. Add Furman and CoC into that mix and it would be brain dead not to go.

My argument was for going. I was responding to the poster that stated that we were purely a southern conference team/student base. I stated that in the past we were but our goals have changed which makes us a good fit for the CAA, especially if they create a southern division. I left Main and CT out of the equation since I wanted to keep the Demographics of the CAA tight. My personal stance is stay if just CoC goes, but if a group moves then Id move too. Either way I would be happy.

TheRevSFA
July 11th, 2012, 10:34 AM
He hit one?!

Does App have an invite from the SBC, CUSA or CAA?

whitey
July 11th, 2012, 10:34 AM
It won't....if what we have heard comes to fruition. We shall see in a couple of weeks.

Are you going to spill or continue to tease us?

asumike83
July 11th, 2012, 10:37 AM

While I see the chances of Appalachian going to the CAA as slim to none, I think the offer is on the table. Based on what has been reported and what I've heard from a few ASU folks who typically have very reliable information, we have the option to move to the CAA if we are willing to forego FBS. I don't think it will happen and Yeager has made no official statement about giving an invite to anybody but I believe the report of Appalachian, Davidson and Charleston being approached about membership is accurate.

TheRevSFA
July 11th, 2012, 10:40 AM
While I see the chances of Appalachian going to the CAA as slim to none, I think the offer is on the table. Based on what has been reported and what I've heard from a few ASU folks who typically have very reliable information, we have the option to move to the CAA if we are willing to forego FBS. I don't think it will happen and Yeager has made no official statement about giving an invite to anybody but I believe the report about App, Davidson and Charleston being approached about membership is accurate.

So then I stand by my previous statement..at the moment..you have as many OFFICIAL invites as Cano had home runs in the Derby...or the AL had runs in the ASG last night.

jmufan999
July 11th, 2012, 10:40 AM

Why are you so emotionally invested in this? And you are, because you post in this thread and the "app state to SBC" thread about every 5 minutes. You're far and away the most invested poster about this topic who's not a SoCon or CAA fan. Just find it odd that you care so much. You seem to care even more than I do and this topic actually affects my team.

EDIT: Just re-read this. Not trying to sound like a jerk at all, I honestly just find it strange. I'm curious, that's all.

Dane96
July 11th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Are you going to spill or continue to tease us?

Tease.

But...ASUMike is onto something. Fill in the blanks on how it affects CAA football. Such a sensitive subject...but I think everyone's posts from the past few days given inclinations on what is going on that will allow you to draw conclusions.

asumike83
July 11th, 2012, 10:45 AM
So then I stand by my previous statement..at the moment..you have as many OFFICIAL invites as Cano had home runs in the Derby...or the AL had runs in the ASG last night.

Well now you're just splitting hairs, you didn't say "official" the first time! xlolx

I do think the CAA is interested but you are right, nothing is official. Unless they are nearly 100% sure of acceptance, I doubt they would risk getting egg on their face by making an official, public offer to Appalachian or anyone else.

phoenix3
July 11th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Like Charleston, a large portion of Elon's student body is from the northeast. It makes perfect sense for them to be in a league that provides them exposure in those areas. I like to compare schools to corporations and athletic departments as the advertising arm of the university. While it is almost impossible to figure a return on the dollars invested, schools are basically forced to spend those dollars in order to keep the company name in front of their potential customer base. That is one reason many schools will tolerate running deficits in the athletics department. They may not like it and try to keep it from getting out of control, but see it as the cost of doing business.

This.

TheRevSFA
July 11th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Well now you're just splitting hairs, you didn't say "official" the first time! xlolx

I do think the CAA is interested but you are right, nothing is official. Unless they are nearly 100% sure of acceptance, I doubt they would risk getting egg on their face by making an official, public offer to Appalachian or anyone else.

No I agree with you. I'm just ribbing you for fun.

Dane96
July 11th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I believe official invites may have already gone out....

henfan
July 11th, 2012, 11:18 AM

Actually, if the CEO's are foolish enough not to invite SBU and/or UA to the CAA but, instead, offer them only CAA FB membership, they may be unintentionally setting themselves up for an eventual AEC takeover of CAA FB. That would be completely boneheaded decision on the part of CAA CEO's and Yeager.xcrazyx

Seawolf97
July 11th, 2012, 11:46 AM

That could be a possibility depend on the outcome of the CAA's decision. If Maine or UNH leave for all sports or both leave and the possibility of StonyBrook and maybe Albany goes to the CAA football the AE is done. Boston U. is gone so the league would be at 6 members with SBU and Albany with one foot out the door. I have no idea if the AE has a backup plan for adding schools and I hear there wont be many takers . So yes the AE could be come irrelavent.

State Line Liquors
July 11th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Actually, if the CEO's are foolish enough not to invite SBU and/or UA to the CAA but, instead, offer them only CAA FB membership, they may be unintentionally setting themselves up for an eventual AEC takeover of CAA FB. That would be completely boneheaded decision on the part of CAA CEO's and Yeager.xcrazyx

If this rumor is true, and these schools have only been offered football affiliate status, as a result of a request from Hofstra, then I think the long term health of the league is in much greater doubt than I originally realized.

Seawolf97
July 11th, 2012, 03:20 PM
If this rumor is true, and these schools have only been offered football affiliate status, as a result of a request from Hofstra, then I think the long term health of the league is in much greater doubt than I originally realized.

Nothing would surprise me with Hofstra. I think the last time we played them in anything was in the spring of 2010 when both our baseball and softball teams played mid week games against them. Our baseball success this spring must have killed them with the media coverage we got. They dont want to believe we exist.

Apphole
July 16th, 2012, 10:54 AM
http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20120716/PC20/120719403/1177/college-of-charleston-davidson-invited-to-leave-southern-conference-for-colonial-rival-ad-says

Davidson and C of C gone to CAA

AshevilleApp2
July 16th, 2012, 11:08 AM
http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20120716/PC20/120719403/1177/college-of-charleston-davidson-invited-to-leave-southern-conference-for-colonial-rival-ad-says

Davidson and C of C gone to CAA

Where does the article state that?

Apphole
July 16th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Where does the article state that?

“There’s been an invitation from the Colonial to Davidson and Charleston,” Georgia Southern AD Sam Baker said in an article in the Statesboro Herald on Sunday.

You don't think they'll take it? There certainly will...

Lehigh Football Nation
July 16th, 2012, 11:13 AM
“There’s been an invitation from the Colonial to Davidson and Charleston,” Georgia Southern AD Sam Baker said in an article in the Statesboro Herald on Sunday.

Trying to shove App out the door, Baker is.

AshevilleApp2
July 16th, 2012, 11:15 AM

I have no idea. The article only confirmed that they had the invitation.

GATA_Eagles
July 16th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I take everything Baker says with a grain of salt. Then I end up beating my head up against the wall. It's pretty good therapy.

Apphole
July 16th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I have no idea. The article only confirmed that they had the invitation.

Indeed. If I were a journalist I'd only publish "Invite," but I'm a betting man and a message boarder so I'll say "gone." The writing is on the wall.

AshevilleApp2
July 16th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Indeed. If I were a journalist I'd only publish "Invite," but I'm a betting man and a message boarder so I'll say "gone." The writing is on the wall.

You may be right.

Apphole
July 16th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Trying to shove App out the door, Baker is.

Master Yoda, up until Baker made his "we're staying SmallCon for the forceable future" statement, I would have said that Baker was trying to emulate/stay with App as much as possible. Now I'm not so sure. You may be on to something, but then again, of course you are being the 3' tall master of the force that you are.

whitey
July 16th, 2012, 11:24 AM

Writing is definitely on the wall for at least Charleston. There are rumors in Charleston that there will be a press conference this week. Their AD is still just saying "no comment" for now.

asumike83
July 16th, 2012, 11:29 AM
I believe Charleston is as good as gone. Davidson, I'm not so sure about.

AshevilleApp2
July 16th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Writing is definitely on the wall for at least Charleston. There are rumors in Charleston that there will be a press conference this week. Their AD is still just saying "no comment" for now.

If it does happen, will you take UNCG as well? Might as well get all the non-football schools out at the same time.

ASUMountaineer
July 16th, 2012, 02:08 PM
If it does happen, will you take UNCG as well? Might as well get all the non-football schools out at the same time.

Yup.

whitey
July 16th, 2012, 02:16 PM

Have not heard UNCG mentioned in a single rumor so far. Probably doesn't help that aside from maybe one or two years they've consistently had 250+ RPIs the last decade.

cbarrier90
July 16th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Talk about kicking an awful basketball conference while it's down...

ASUMountaineer
July 16th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Have not heard UNCG mentioned in a single rumor so far. Probably doesn't help that aside from maybe one or two years they've consistently had 250+ RPIs the last decade.

I doubt they're on the radar, but most of us would not lament UNCG leaving the SoCon.

cbarrier90
July 16th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I doubt they're on the radar, but most of us would not lament UNCG leaving the SoCon.

C'mon, Big South!

seantaylor
July 17th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Davidson would be a loss, CofC is no loss at all to the Socon.

ASUMountaineer
July 17th, 2012, 07:54 AM
C'mon, Big South!

xnodx

Tealblood
July 17th, 2012, 08:28 AM
I don't think you would invite if you didn't have a wink and a nod that they would say yes.

you wouldn't invite someone to only have them say no and then you have egg all over your face

TheRevSFA
July 17th, 2012, 08:36 AM
today is July 17th..and App still doesn't have a formal invite.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 17th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I don't think you would invite if you didn't have a wink and a nod that they would say yes.

you wouldn't invite someone to only have them say no and then you have egg all over your face

Ah, but consider the source. It's Georgia Southern's AD that is putting out there that they have "invites". No sweat off his back if they're embarrassed.

Sitting Bull
July 17th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Nothing would surprise me with Hofstra. I think the last time we played them in anything was in the spring of 2010 when both our baseball and softball teams played mid week games against them. Our baseball success this spring must have killed them with the media coverage we got. They dont want to believe we exist.

If I'm Yeager, I would rather forfeit Hofstra and take in SBU/Albany both as all sports members. State Line is right, affiliates are no way to stabilze a conference that needs a long term base.

Hofstra dropped football and most of their fans pine for the A10 anyway. I wouldn't let them influence this decision.

The CAA needs a solid core of all sports members.

Skjellyfetti
July 17th, 2012, 12:33 PM
today is July 17th..and App still doesn't have a formal invite.

Obvious troll is obvious.

TheRevSFA
July 17th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Obvious troll is obvious.

Someone's still angry about being passed up for commuter colleges. It's okay. There is help...

asumike83
July 17th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Someone's still angry about being passed up for commuter colleges. It's okay. There is help...

I think most all App fans have accepted that this past round of realignment left us behind. Still, if you come here and poke App fans with a stick every single day, you're bound to get some negative responses.

TheRevSFA
July 17th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I think most all App fans have accepted that this past round of realignment left us behind. Still, if you come here and poke App fans with a stick every single day, you're bound to get some negative responses.

Now now..it's been every other day. CBarrier seems to enjoy it..

But I do it just to screw with you guys...I really am not truly against App..I just like to argue against for the sake of it.

ElonFirefighter
July 17th, 2012, 01:07 PM

but I like poking App fans with a stick, or at least beating them with it xdeadhorsex

cbarrier90
July 17th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Now now..it's been every other day. CBarrier seems to enjoy it..

Just the occasional "Knock, knock..."

I just like to argue against for the sake of it.

Definition of a troll. Sorry, Rev...

ASUMountaineer
July 17th, 2012, 03:07 PM
but I like poking App fans with a stick, or at least beating them with it xdeadhorsex

Is that similar to how ASU has been beating Elon in each game since 1964?

ElonFirefighter
July 17th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Is that similar to how ASU has been beating Elon in each game since 1964?

no it would be more like poking a bear, since there has been a long hibernation in the series

GlassOnion
July 17th, 2012, 03:32 PM
no it would be more like poking a bear, since there has been a long hibernation in the series

I always thought "beating them like they stole something," was more accurate. Every year, I get to think about it, and every year I seem to come to the same conclusion.

GSU Eagle
July 17th, 2012, 05:15 PM
If Davidson and Charleston leave they puts the SoCon at 10. I say leave it at that for a bit. Baseball and basketball can them play a complete round robin schedule and we will have rid the conference of 2 non-football playing schools.

TheRevSFA
July 17th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Definition of a troll. Sorry, Rev...

Disagree. Trolling argument has no ground to stand on.

Mine stating why App hasn't gotten an invite is logical. It solely deals with your lack of market

Skjellyfetti
July 17th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Troll noun /trōl/: An e-mail message or posting on the Internet intended to provoke an indignant response in the reader.

But I do it just to screw with you guys...

You're a troll.

ASUMountaineer
July 18th, 2012, 07:49 AM

Well played.

GSU Eagle
July 18th, 2012, 04:29 PM
We keep hearing that Charleston is all but gone to the CAA and Davidson is about 50/50 right now. Is there any source for this conclusion?

AppMan
July 18th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I always thought "beating them like they stole something," was more accurate. Every year, I get to think about it, and every year I seem to come to the same conclusion.

Out in the country we say "beating them like a borrowed mule."

WataugaDave
July 21st, 2012, 11:39 AM
West of Demon Deacon country, we are college football in NC. You can call App isolated, but the fact is that even though it's rural, it's very convenient to the Triad, Charlotte, and the Tri-Cities, all 3 of which are TV markets that could potentially carry coverage.

superman7515
September 7th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Latest CAA Meetings (http://www.dailypress.com/sports/colleges/dp-spt-caa-meetings-0907-20120906,0,6030374.story)

There's been speculation about a number of schools that the CAA has targeted for expansion. College of Charleston officials are the only ones to publicly acknowledge that they've discussed the ramifications of leaving the Southern Conference for the CAA.

Yeager again expressed some frustration that expansion hasn't been completed. He said the aim is still to add a school, or schools, for the 2013-14 academic year. But he said that traditional deadlines for schools and leagues have shifted in recent years. Notably, VCU and the A-10 made that move happen in a matter of months.

"I've thought we should have had it done long before now," Yeager said. "I feel good that there's progress being made with some of the people we're talking to, and even within our own thinking, in some instances.

"I don't think you want to set up artificial dates that may force decisions, good or bad, before they're ready to be made. You want everybody to feel 100 percent comfortable. At the same time, these things can't go on forever. You reach a point where there's nothing left to talk about. Either you think it's a good idea or you don't and you make a decision."

From the CAA's end, the process continues Friday.....

MplsBison
September 7th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Latest CAA Meetings (http://www.dailypress.com/sports/colleges/dp-spt-caa-meetings-0907-20120906,0,6030374.story)

So in other words, CoC is done and they're wrangling with Davidson.

Probably Davidson wants another team close by but CAA doesn't want any SoCon football schools because they have terrible bball.

WestCoastAggie
September 7th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Why hasn't App State been invited yet?

Saint3333
September 7th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Why hasn't App State been invited yet?

Some would say they already have been approached.

Sandlapper Spike
September 7th, 2012, 11:51 AM

Probably Davidson wants another team close by but CAA doesn't want any SoCon football schools because they have terrible bball.

I'm not sure CofC is done to the CAA. I think there are still concerns on George Street about making the move without Davidson.

fc97
September 7th, 2012, 12:14 PM

again, posting like you know.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-09-04/colonial-athletic-association-vcu-old-dominion-caa

the meeting reportedly is about elon, davidson, charleston and stony brook.

MplsBison
September 7th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I'm not sure CofC is done to the CAA. I think there are still concerns on George Street about making the move without Davidson.

Why? Wilmington is closer than Davidson.

MplsBison
September 7th, 2012, 12:29 PM
again, posting like you know.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-09-04/colonial-athletic-association-vcu-old-dominion-caa

the meeting reportedly is about elon, davidson, charleston and stony brook.

Thanks for the link, but it doesn't even come close to implying what you just said. It says there's a meeting and then it throws out some schools that the author thinks are possibilities.

Sandlapper Spike
September 7th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Why? Wilmington is closer than Davidson.

If the only team that moves for hoops is the CofC, the CAA doesn't really improve its basketball profile enough to justify the move.

Go...gate
September 7th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Davidson????? They quit PL .

But this means they would play A-10 hoops, right? That is a step up from the SoCon for basketball, IMO.

MplsBison
September 7th, 2012, 12:50 PM
If the only team that moves for hoops is the CofC, the CAA doesn't really improve its basketball profile enough to justify the move.

Absolutely it does. That's the whole point.

They have to get more name programs to replace VCU and ODU for the TV contract, else the TV execs will pull the plug. CoC was just in the tournament, so people know them.

Sandlapper Spike
September 7th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Absolutely it does. That's the whole point.

They have to get more name programs to replace VCU and ODU for the TV contract, else the TV execs will pull the plug. CoC was just in the tournament, so people know them.

No, you misunderstood. It doesn't improve the CAA's hoops profile enough for CofC to justify the move.

Sure, the CAA could use the CofC as a hoops member, though it wasn't just in the tournament. CofC hasn't actually made the NCAA Tournament since 1999.

MplsBison
September 7th, 2012, 03:06 PM
No, you misunderstood. It doesn't improve the CAA's hoops profile enough for CofC to justify the move.

Sure, the CAA could use the CofC as a hoops member, though it wasn't just in the tournament. CofC hasn't actually made the NCAA Tournament since 1999.

Ah, thanks for the correction. I don't know why I thought they were in the tournament last year.

I see they were in the NIT in 2011, maybe that's what I was thinking.

Why do you think CoC doesn't care to be in the CAA? You don't think they would consider it an upgrade?

Sandlapper Spike
September 7th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Ah, thanks for the correction. I don't know why I thought they were in the tournament last year.

Why do you think CoC doesn't care to be in the CAA? You don't think they would consider it an upgrade?

It's not an upgrade if the only new CAA hoops school is CofC.

There has been a lot of talk about the SoCon being a one-bid league (which it is) while the CAA is capable of putting multiple teams into the field, but the fact is that since 1987, there have only been three years in which the CAA received at-large bids: 2006, 2007, and 2011 (when it got two at-large bids). While that recent run does suggest upward mobility for the conference, two of the three schools largely responsible for that success have left (VCU) or are leaving (ODU) the league. Last season Hofstra won the CAA regular season title and advanced to the conference tourney final, but did not get an at-large bid (mostly due to an unbalanced league schedule and a horrid OOC slate).

For the CofC, is the reconstituted CAA any better for hoops than the current SoCon? Maybe, but it's marginal, and if the CAA isn't a multi-bid league on a regular basis, I'm not sure it's worth the move. It is true the CAA has a better TV deal than the SoCon (who doesn't?). There is also the idea that the college may benefit from a non-athletics standpoint by joining a more northerly league (so as to attract more out-of-state students), but that cuts both ways when you take travel into consideration.

The CAA would also be a major negative for CofC baseball. It's probably a wash for all the other sports, but someone more familiar with CofC athletics can speak to that.

MplsBison
September 7th, 2012, 06:39 PM
It's not an upgrade if the only new CAA hoops school is CofC.

There has been a lot of talk about the SoCon being a one-bid league (which it is) while the CAA is capable of putting multiple teams into the field, but the fact is that since 1987, there have only been three years in which the CAA received at-large bids: 2006, 2007, and 2011 (when it got two at-large bids). While that recent run does suggest upward mobility for the conference, two of the three schools largely responsible for that success have left (VCU) or are leaving (ODU) the league. Last season Hofstra won the CAA regular season title and advanced to the conference tourney final, but did not get an at-large bid (mostly due to an unbalanced league schedule and a horrid OOC slate).

For the CofC, is the reconstituted CAA any better for hoops than the current SoCon? Maybe, but it's marginal, and if the CAA isn't a multi-bid league on a regular basis, I'm not sure it's worth the move. It is true the CAA has a better TV deal than the SoCon (who doesn't?). There is also the idea that the college may benefit from a non-athletics standpoint by joining a more northerly league (so as to attract more out-of-state students), but that cuts both ways when you take travel into consideration.

The CAA would also be a major negative for CofC baseball. It's probably a wash for all the other sports, but someone more familiar with CofC athletics can speak to that.

Good post.

I have no doubt that the CAA, as is, would be a one bid league and would lose the TV deal due to lack of interesting, talented teams. Adding CoC and Davidson would get them back to the cusp of 2 bid. But there's not a single SoCon football team that would help them in bball.

There's also the point of the money that VCU and ODU left behind.

As far as baseball goes, wouldn't CoC have an easier time winning the auto-bid in the CAA, then?

fc97
September 7th, 2012, 09:53 PM
much easier maybe, but uncw is a good team. the difference is, the socon is a 2-3 bid league, on the verge of being a 4 bid league and nearly a top 7 conference. cofc loses the tournament and still probably makes it most years. if they dont win the caa, they wont make it without some other top 100 teams to help the caa out. right now, uncw is it.

cofc in the socon, even without gsu, the socon is still a top league with western, elon, the citadel, uncg and sometimes samford in the top 75 consistently.

wmmii
September 7th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Good post.

I have no doubt that the CAA, as is, would be a one bid league and would lose the TV deal due to lack of interesting, talented teams. Adding CoC and Davidson would get them back to the cusp of 2 bid. But there's not a single SoCon football team that would help them in bball.

There's also the point of the money that VCU and ODU left behind.

As far as baseball goes, wouldn't CoC have an easier time winning the auto-bid in the CAA, then?

The money left on the table is very sizable and an extra bonus to move to the CAA. This year the CAA only has 7 teams eligible to win the conference automatic bid in BB so they must add some teams for next season. Just announced is a meeting of the conference Pres to brainstorm the topic (maybe a tollshed talk by the commish?).

superman7515
September 7th, 2012, 10:10 PM
The comments from Yeager sound like he is getting frustrated and tired of waiting on either A) the non-conference schools to decide whether they want to join, B) the conference schools to decide who they will allow (the rumored beef between Hofstra vs Stony Brook/Albany), or C) some combination of the two.

wmmii
September 8th, 2012, 07:22 AM
The comments from Yeager sound like he is getting frustrated and tired of waiting on either A) the non-conference schools to decide whether they want to join, B) the conference schools to decide who they will allow (the rumored beef between Hofstra vs Stony Brook/Albany), or C) some combination of the two.

Agreed, since the announced topic is the future size of the league, my guess is the CAA needs to resolve among itself who they want to invite for BB and Yeager made it clear he was not happy that it had not been resolved by now.

superman7515
September 18th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Jeff Hartsell of Courier and Post:

Jeff Hartsell ‏@Jeff_fromthePC
college of Charleston athletics committee will meet Thursday to discuss potential move to Colonial Athletic Association

On #CofC agenda: "Athletics conference contract resolution, if needed.: #socon #caa

My bad: #CofC athletics committee meeting is Friday. Move to #CAA still on agenda, though

CID1990
September 18th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Jeff Hartsell of Courier and Post:

Please please go and take the other non footballers with you.

alvinkayak6
September 19th, 2012, 02:10 AM
It's complicated. As another poster mentioned, baseball is a problem. A TV deal is nice, but it's not the end all and be all.

MplsBison
September 19th, 2012, 08:59 AM
It's complicated. As another poster mentioned, baseball is a problem. A TV deal is nice, but it's not the end all and be all.

So why not go to the CAA where you would compete with Stony Brook to dominate the conference and get the auto-bid every year? You would still have plenty of opportunities to schedule tough opponents non-conference to boost strength of schedule.

Baseball does not matter.

CAA needs help or they'll lose their TV deal.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 19th, 2012, 09:06 AM

LMFAO Seriously? Is it even possible to be even more clueless?

Dane96
September 19th, 2012, 09:14 AM
So why not go to the CAA where you would compete with Stony Brook to dominate the conference and get the auto-bid every year? You would still have plenty of opportunities to schedule tough opponents non-conference to boost strength of schedule.

Baseball does not matter.

Wouldn't Stony Brook first have to be a member of the CAA?

Second...would you not think there would be a downgrade in recruiting if it were not playing the likes of their Southern Conference opponents week in and week out?!

fc97
September 19th, 2012, 09:25 AM
the word is that even if the bot vote, there will still be no immediate announcement. part of the meeting is closed door as it involves other schools that have not made things public.

MplsBison
September 19th, 2012, 10:33 AM
LMFAO Seriously? Is it even possible to be even more clueless?

Anything to contribute? Didn't think so.

VCU and ODU are gone. Who's going to watch W&M vs Towson in bball on Versus?

MplsBison
September 19th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Wouldn't Stony Brook first have to be a member of the CAA?

Second...would you not think there would be a downgrade in recruiting if it were not playing the likes of their Southern Conference opponents week in and week out?!

Yep good point, got the CAA and CAAFC conflated just like Delaware wants.

So that makes the CAA auto-bid virtually guaranteed to be CoC's every year. Just like Oral Roberts used to own the Summit's auto-bid. I guarantee being in the tournament helps recruiting more than playing SoCon schools.

Pretty moot anyway, bball drives the bus. Baseball is just a passenger, maybe one who is yelling and will be told to sit down and shut up by the driver if necessary.

fc97
September 19th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Yep good point, got the CAA and CAAFC conflated just like Delaware wants.

So that makes the CAA auto-bid virtually guaranteed to be CoC's every year. Just like Oral Roberts used to own the Summit's auto-bid. I guarantee being in the tournament helps recruiting more than playing SoCon schools.

Pretty moot anyway, bball drives the bus. Baseball is just a passenger, maybe one who is yelling and will be told to sit down and shut up by the driver if necessary.

no it doesnt make it charleston's every year. goodness, its like your brain has no inner monologue, your fingers just type out every random thought. if daivdson goes too, then charleston has an even less chance than it has now.

baseball may be a passenger, but its a passenger with a large fare.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 19th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Anything to contribute? Didn't think so.

VCU and ODU are gone. Who's going to watch W&M vs Towson in bball on Versus?

Silly Bison. I wouldn't expect you to understand the deep relationship between Comcast and the CAA... nor the fact that NBC Sports Network loves the CAA as a big part of their programming for all sports, not just basketball... and that all that existed pre-VCU's mid-major runs and pre-ODU re-sponsoring football.

MplsBison
September 19th, 2012, 12:11 PM
no it doesnt make it charleston's every year. goodness, its like your brain has no inner monologue, your fingers just type out every random thought. if daivdson goes too, then charleston has an even less chance than it has now.

baseball may be a passenger, but its a passenger with a large fare.

Davidson was not not being discussed. Read the quoted post history before you make yourself look foolish.

Baseball does not have a seat at the table. Its concerns will be duly noted.

MplsBison
September 19th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Silly Bison. I wouldn't expect you to understand the deep relationship between Comcast and the CAA... nor the fact that NBC Sports Network loves the CAA as a big part of their programming for all sports, not just basketball... and that all that existed pre-VCU's mid-major runs and pre-ODU re-sponsoring football.

VCU and ODU bball were the only brands in the CAA with enough value to broadcast on Versus. Those are gone and so will be the coverage unless those brands are replaced.

Tim James
September 19th, 2012, 12:40 PM

Anytime someone mentions baseball in conference realignments, I always go back to the ACC which is a very good baseball conference yet they added Pitt and Syracuse who have no baseball and bad baseball respectively. Same thing with the Pac 10, another great baseball conference when they added Colorado and Utah. No baseball and bad baseball. Doesnt seem like baseball has a seat at the table in ANY conference realignment scenarios.

MplsBison
September 19th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Anytime someone mentions baseball in conference realignments, I always go back to the ACC which is a very good baseball conference yet they added Pitt and Syracuse who have no baseball and bad baseball respectively. Same thing with the Pac 10, another great baseball conference when they added Colorado and Utah. No baseball and bad baseball. Doesnt seem like baseball has a seat at the table in ANY conference realignment scenarios.

Agreed. It has its niche fan base, but it's clear that only men's bball and football generate the mega TV ratings that have earned conferences and schools the mega dollars.

That's not changing any time soon.

fc97
September 19th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Anytime someone mentions baseball
in conference realignments, I always go back to the ACC which is a very good baseball conference yet they added Pitt and Syracuse who have no baseball and bad baseball respectively. Same thing with the Pac 10, another great baseball conference when they added Colorado and Utah. No baseball and bad baseball. Doesnt seem like baseball has a seat at the table in ANY conference realignment scenarios.

you are talking about conference concerns about baseball with new members where the comference is good at baseball, not a school's concern over baseball with moving from a good to weak conferences. not apples to apples

fc97
September 19th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Davidson was not not being discussed. Read the quoted post history before you make yourself look foolish.

moron, listen, you said they would be the single automatic qualifier. i simply stated that they would not be based on caa desires.

fc97
September 19th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Agreed. It has its niche fan base, but it's clear that only men's bball and football generate the mega TV ratings that have earned conferences and schools the mega dollars.

That's not changing any time soon.

and agaun, moron, no mid-major conference is making mega dollars. is a moot poit and whether you want to admit it or not, theres more at stake than just basketball.

MplsBison
September 19th, 2012, 01:01 PM
and agaun, moron, no mid-major conference is making mega dollars. is a moot poit and whether you want to admit it or not, theres more at stake than just basketball.

Ah, so you do admit that baseball does not earn any conference significant money.

I said it correctly before, baseball does not have a seat at the table.

MplsBison
September 19th, 2012, 01:02 PM
moron, listen, you said they would be the single automatic qualifier. i simply stated that they would not be based on caa desires.

The conversation was talking about CoC only. No other school was being discussed.

I hate to keep making you look foolish, but I will do it.

MplsBison
September 19th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Also, you may wish to use some correct spelling, capitalization and grammar before calling people morons.

I assume you are not representative of the education provided by Elon.

citdog
September 19th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Also, you may wish to use some correct spelling, capitalization and grammar before calling people morons.

http://blog.shindoverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/20120420-200602.jpg

whitey
September 19th, 2012, 02:10 PM
VCU and ODU bball were the only brands in the CAA with enough value to broadcast on Versus. Those are gone and so will be the coverage unless those brands are replaced.

You do realize that George Mason and Drexel are still going to be in the CAA, don't you? Not to mention that LFN is 100% right about the historical and deep NBC/Comcast relationship with the CAA.

Go...gate
September 19th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Anything new on this move?

fc97
September 19th, 2012, 02:59 PM

so its come down to grammar and typing? thats all you have left? xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

The conversation was talking about CoC only. No other school was being discussed.

moron, what is the title of this thread? i'll make it easy for you "PORT: CAA Formally Invites App State/Davidson/Charleston" and then, your post yerterday was talking about stony brook and charleston. no, the conversation isnt just about charleston only.

Ah, so you do admit that baseball does not earn any conference significant money.

I said it correctly before, baseball does not have a seat at the table.

who said baseball makes significant money? it doesnt. neither does fcs football or basketball at mid-major schools including the colonial schools.

you said baseball doesnt matter. i disagree. you can scream all you want, it wont make you right. presently, charleston's biggest publicity maker is from baseball. going to the colonial greatly reduces their baseball capability. two board of trustee members, and part of the athetlics department has publically stated the concerns over baseball.

you can disagree on whether baseball is important, but to the school it is. you can argue til you're blue in the face and it won't change that fact.

fc97
September 19th, 2012, 03:00 PM

rumors and conjecture from twitter and the socon beat writers.

official charleston board of trustees meeting friday. that's it.

MplsBison
September 19th, 2012, 04:01 PM
You do realize that George Mason and Drexel are still going to be in the CAA, don't you? Not to mention that LFN is 100% right about the historical and deep NBC/Comcast relationship with the CAA.

Yes I realize that. Neither of those brands are as valuable. GM had that one amazing run in 2006, so many years ago.

The CAA may indeed have a historical (I don't know about "deep") relationship to have games on regional networks. I think Versus is the first national network to broadcast CAA games. Only ratings will sustain that relationship.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 19th, 2012, 04:07 PM
... LFN is 100% right...

Yes I realize that...

Do you, though?

MplsBison
September 19th, 2012, 04:07 PM
so its come down to grammar and typing? thats all you have left? xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

moron, what is the title of this thread? i'll make it easy for you "PORT: CAA Formally Invites App State/Davidson/Charleston" and then, your post yerterday was talking about stony brook and charleston. no, the conversation isnt just about charleston only.

who said baseball makes significant money? it doesnt. neither does fcs football or basketball at mid-major schools including the colonial schools.

you said baseball doesnt matter. i disagree. you can scream all you want, it wont make you right. presently, charleston's biggest publicity maker is from baseball. going to the colonial greatly reduces their baseball capability. two board of trustee members, and part of the athetlics department has publically stated the concerns over baseball.

you can disagree on whether baseball is important, but to the school it is. you can argue til you're blue in the face and it won't change that fact.

I was having a discussion with alvinkayak6 about CoC only. No other school was being discussed. Do you understand? By the way, the title of the thread does not start "PORT:". But you're still free to continue calling other people morons.

I didn't say it wasn't important, I said it doesn't have a seat at the table. The CoC athletic director will make the choice based solely on how the change could potentially impact men's basketball. End

fc97
September 19th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I was having a discussion with alvinkayak6 about CoC only. No other school was being discussed. Do you understand? By the way, the title of the thread does not start "PORT:". But you're still free to continue calling other people morons.

I didn't say it wasn't important, I said it doesn't have a seat at the table. The CoC athletic director will make the choice based solely on how the change could potentially impact men's basketball. End

moron, baseball has a seat at the charleston table. they make the decision. baseball is important to them. and the athletic director does not make the decision, the board of trustees does. and if you read the public comments by the board of directors, travel expenses are the number 1 concern, not basketball.

seriously, know what you are talking about. how hard is it to be at just slightly educated about what you post about, its like you dont know how anything works. moron.

its one thing to have an opinion, its another for your brain to throw up constantly with you calling that facts.

T-Dog
September 19th, 2012, 07:47 PM

This is just the athletics committee voting on Friday. Next official BOT meeting is October 18th where it has to pass for it to be final, but if there's an urgency to it for whatever reason, then the BOT will have an emergency meeting sooner.

ngineer
September 19th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Davidson???!!!!! They couldn't compete in the original Patriot League and quit after one year. Way too small and not enough resources committed to football to make such a move.

whitey
September 20th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Davidson would not be bringing their football team to the CAA if this scenario were to play out. They'd leave the football team in the Pioneer and bring their other sports to the CAA.

fc97
September 20th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Davidson would not be bringing their football team to the CAA if this scenario were to play out. They'd leave the football team in the Pioneer and bring their other sports to the CAA.

there's a big rumor going around that this is only for 7 of charleston's sports; not all. seems slightly weird.

MplsBison
September 20th, 2012, 07:49 AM
moron, baseball has a seat at the charleston table. they make the decision. baseball is important to them. and the athletic director does not make the decision, the board of trustees does. and if you read the public comments by the board of directors, travel expenses are the number 1 concern, not basketball.

seriously, know what you are talking about. how hard is it to be at just slightly educated about what you post about, its like you dont know how anything works. moron.

its one thing to have an opinion, its another for your brain to throw up constantly with you calling that facts.

Baseball does not have a seat at the CoC table, as I already correctly explained.

I never said it wasn't important to them, just that the decision - whomever or whatever group actually pulls the trigger is irrelevant to the argument - will not be concerned with positioning CoC baseball in the best position that team can be in. If the men's bball team will end up in a better position by moving to the CAA, then that's what will be done regardless of how that affects the baseball team.

Accept that you're wrong and move on with your life.

fc97
September 20th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Baseball does not have a seat at the CoC table, as I already correctly explained.

I never said it wasn't important to them, just that the decision - whomever or whatever group actually pulls the trigger is irrelevant to the argument - will not be concerned with positioning CoC baseball in the best position that team can be in. If the men's bball team will end up in a better position by moving to the CAA, then that's what will be done regardless of how that affects the baseball team.

Accept that you're wrong and move on with your life.

god you are an idiot. i mean, you sit thousands of miles away in front of a computer with the facts and articles right in front of you, linked all over this forum and available by simple searches in google or bing. you continue to fail to read any of it and just have you brain throw up all over the internet and call it fact. there's nothing you can do that is going to make what you say into the truth. nothing.

i'm done arguing with you, you're absolutely clueless.

seriously, something's wrong with you.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 20th, 2012, 10:09 AM
god you are an idiot...i'm done arguing with you, you're absolutely clueless...seriously, something's wrong with you.

That's where we all end up.

GlassOnion
September 20th, 2012, 10:14 AM

The Whiner of the Year Award, goes to... YOU!

Congrats, and happy tears! I mean trails.

MplsBison
September 20th, 2012, 11:05 AM
god you are an idiot. i mean, you sit thousands of miles away in front of a computer with the facts and articles right in front of you, linked all over this forum and available by simple searches in google or bing. you continue to fail to read any of it and just have you brain throw up all over the internet and call it fact. there's nothing you can do that is going to make what you say into the truth. nothing.

I know, right? I'm such an idiot for thinking that the men's basketball team is more important to a college athletics department than the baseball team.

whitey
September 20th, 2012, 12:25 PM
there's a big rumor going around that this is only for 7 of charleston's sports; not all. seems slightly weird.

I'm assuming you mean 7 Men's sports. CofC sponsors 8 Men's Sports. The CAA sponsors 7 of 8 of CofC's Men's sports (Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Swimming & Diving and Tennis). The 8th sport would be Sailing which the CAA obviously doesn't sponsor. Maybe that's what they mean?

Laker
September 20th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Is there any talk of C of C starting football or is that not on the table at all?

MplsBison
September 20th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I'm assuming you mean 7 Men's sports. CofC sponsors 8 Men's Sports. The CAA sponsors 7 of 8 of CofC's Men's sports (Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Swimming & Diving and Tennis). The 8th sport would be Sailing which the CAA obviously doesn't sponsor. Maybe that's what they mean?

Yes that's correct.

Laker
September 21st, 2012, 09:45 AM
http://news.cofc.edu/2012/09/18/bot-athletics-committee-workshop/

Meeting at 1:30 Eastern today dealing with athletics conference.

whitey
September 21st, 2012, 10:13 AM
I. Call to Order, Welcome and Introductions

II. Information Items:

III. Discussion Items:

Athletics Conference

IV. Other Business:

V. Executive Session

For legal advice on potential contractual negotiations with athletic conferences
VI. Action Item:

Athletics Conference Contract Resolution, if needed

CAA here they come!

MplsBison
September 21st, 2012, 11:11 AM
CAA here they come!

That puts CAA at 10 and expansion will be closed for now.

fc97
September 21st, 2012, 12:14 PM

no, it was men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, men's soccer, women's soccer, softball, volleyball. at least that is what the beat writer said on twitter. the content has not made it into an article yet.

fc97
September 21st, 2012, 12:19 PM
I know, right? I'm such an idiot for thinking that the men's basketball team is more important to a college athletics department than the baseball team.

you said it right here. THINK, not truth, THINKING. if you want to think, fine, think. stop passing it off as the truth.

fc97
September 21st, 2012, 12:21 PM
The Whiner of the Year Award, goes to... YOU!

Congrats, and happy tears! I mean trails.

xblahx

and there we go, adding so much to a conversation, good job dude

whitey
September 21st, 2012, 01:18 PM
Follow Andrew Miller (@APMILLER_PandC) on twitter right now. He is CofC's beat reporter, is at the meeting and is providing a ton of information on the discussion.

superman7515
September 21st, 2012, 01:27 PM
Yep:

Andrew Miller ‏@APMILLER_PandC
50 national TV games in CAA. SoCon has 4 national TV games. Hull: 'SoCon basketball is nearly invisible on national stage.'

CofC AD Joe Hull: 'Most athletes CofC recruits don't like SoCon. Hurts in all sports, but baseball.'

Johnson making a compelling case for move to CAA. I'd be shocked if CofC doesn't make the move.

GATA_Eagles
September 21st, 2012, 01:30 PM
Still debating, but sounds more like the decision has been made. Hull defending CAA, while throwing SoCon under the bus! #CAA.

citdog
September 21st, 2012, 01:32 PM
Yep:

the 1936 members of the Southern Conference and the other football playing schools say........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReYfu5E-hOE

superman7515
September 21st, 2012, 01:33 PM
If they don't leave, they aren't making nice with the rest of the conference:

Still debating, but sounds more like the decision has been made. Hull defending CAA, while throwing SoCon under the bus! #CAA.

danefan
September 21st, 2012, 01:34 PM
So who's next?

Skjellyfetti
September 21st, 2012, 01:36 PM
50 national TV games in CAA. SoCon has 4 national TV games. Hull: 'SoCon basketball is nearly invisible on national stage.'

Hmm. App fans say similar things about the SoCon's "tv deal" and get routinely blasted around here. It's the truth.

cbarrier90
September 21st, 2012, 01:47 PM
Hmm. App fans say similar things about the SoCon's "tv deal" and get routinely blasted around here. It's the truth.

And just when you thought SoCon basketball couldn't get any more irrelevant...

citdog
September 21st, 2012, 01:47 PM

like 52-28 blasted?

superman7515
September 21st, 2012, 02:12 PM
And the tide has changed...

Athletic board member on the phone says, 'he doesn't support move to CAA.'

Athletic board member said numbers committee are using are not accurate.

Correction. Guy on the phone is a Board of Trustee member. Taking the athletic committee to task.

Board of Trustee member is Jeff Schliz. He's throwing the committee under the bus. Doesn't want to make the move.'

Schliz: 'why are we so concerned about students from the Northeast.' Good question.

citdog
September 21st, 2012, 02:14 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJsHv0uPstk&feature=fvwrel

MplsBison
September 21st, 2012, 02:15 PM
you said it right here. THINK, not truth, THINKING. if you want to think, fine, think. stop passing it off as the truth.

But it is the truth.

MplsBison

Taking the unpopular position to spur discussion! My kinda guy. xnodx

ElonFirefighter
like 52-28 blasted?

That's not blasted that's just down right sad.

jmufan
September 21st, 2012, 02:35 PM
Does a decision have to be unanimous or pass with a 51% vote?

T-Dog
September 21st, 2012, 02:54 PM
One thing I was told about any school that moves to the CAA is that any exit fee/entry fee costs wouldn't be covered as VCU forfeited millions in Final Four revenue with their hasty move to the A-10.

MplsBison
September 21st, 2012, 03:07 PM
Sounds like from Andrew Miller's twitter that nothing was decided, but two other pieces of info:

- CoC moving to CAA July 2013, if it happens
- they think CAA would go to 12 members with N and S divisions

Does that mean CoC, Davidson and UNCG added?

North-
NE - Hof
UD - Drex
GMU - Tow

South-
JMU - W&M
Davidson - UNCG
CoC - UNCW

fc97
September 21st, 2012, 03:49 PM
But it is the truth.

did you read the tweets from the meeting. basketball was only a handful of the talking points, 30% to be exact.

and where have you gotten the uncg thing from? they aren't even on the board as discussion. you might as well say high point or winthrop are up for discussion too if you're making stuff up again.

all it means, as has been stated in the freaking newspaper articles that you fail to read, is that they would have to expand by 3. as has been in the title of the thread, app, davidson and charleston were the primary targets. right now, caa football is at an uneven number and the rest of the sports are in need of a minimum of 2.

so, if all goes as they were wanting from the start, that's two all sports minus football and 1 with football, moron. and again, the only documented schools are app, charleston, coastal, davidson, elon and furman. DONE

MplsBison
September 21st, 2012, 07:42 PM
They don't need another football member, they just added two. Are you sure you know which conference we're discussing?

With SB and Albany they're at 11. When Villanova leaves, they'll be at 10 which is a perfect number.

No SoCon football schools add what they need in bball. Davidson and CoC do. I picked UNCG because they're the closest to Davidson and this would let the SoCon focus on it's football members.

Please don't make yourself look foolish. Think a little bit before you post.

Sycamore51
September 21st, 2012, 08:16 PM
It wasn't that long ago that the CAA was the conference in I-AA.

ASUMountaineer
September 22nd, 2012, 10:26 AM
That's not blasted that's just down right sad.

I thought sad meant being "0-fer" against ASU since joining the SoCon. Thanks for the clarification!

redspider
September 22nd, 2012, 10:37 PM
Hope these reports are true all three schools would be great additions to our football conference!

superman7515
September 22nd, 2012, 10:42 PM
Hope these reports are true all three schools would be great additions to our football conference!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wAxDMfEGhoY/TQrlbN4gYXI/AAAAAAAAAXg/kmwztAAni44/s400/Not%2BSure%2Bif%2Bserious.jpg