PDA

View Full Version : Richmond Times Dispatch - Could VMI Fit the CAA?

superman7515
May 22nd, 2012, 09:01 AM
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/sport/2012/may/22/tdsport01-could-vmi-be-a-compatible-consideration--ar-1932268/

Virginia Military Institute regularly assesses its conference affiliation and potential new paths. Recently, the Keydets intensified their examination.

VMI has belonged to the Big South Conference since 2003. The Richmond-based Colonial Athletic Association is seeking new members after losing Virginia Commonwealth, Old Dominion and Georgia State since early April.

VMI Athletic Director Donny White said on Monday that being in a league with the University of Richmond (for football), William and Mary and James Madison would appeal to a good-sized chunk of VMI's alumni.

"There's no question that the Colonial Athletic Association is a very attractive conference, and has been for a long time," White said.

danefan
May 22nd, 2012, 09:13 AM
This article is focused on CAA Football only.

Names VMI, Coastal, Stony Brook, Albany and potentially Monmouth as the expansion targets for CAA Football.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 22nd, 2012, 09:14 AM
Better fit for PL:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/03/vmi-to-patriot-league.html

WestCoastAggie
May 22nd, 2012, 09:14 AM
Interesting...

They would fit right on in and pick right back up with long standing rivalries with Richmond and W&M. This would also help their profile in basketball.

However, this seems to just be speculation and wishful as of now.

WestCoastAggie
May 22nd, 2012, 09:16 AM
Better fit for PL:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/03/vmi-to-patriot-league.html

Did the PL ever approach VMI about membership?

kdinva
May 22nd, 2012, 09:22 AM
Did the PL approached VMI about membership?

I've heard "never"......not last month, not last year, not in 2006, etc.

WileECoyote06
May 22nd, 2012, 09:30 AM
Now this seems right.

bluehenbillk
May 22nd, 2012, 09:44 AM
VMI to the CAA?? No.

Pitz
May 22nd, 2012, 09:45 AM
I just don't see it. IMO, VMI's only chance at being considered would revolve around the CAA's failure to attract some of the top SoCon teams. There have to be close to a dozen teams higher on the CAA's wishlist.

whitey
May 22nd, 2012, 09:48 AM
Doubtful. VMI would seriously struggle, financially, to compete in the CAA. This isn't meant to be a knock on VMI but unless they significantly increase their athletic budget I don't see how they could even come close to keeping up with the joneses.

danefan
May 22nd, 2012, 09:51 AM
Again, I think this guy is focusing solely on football members.

VMI could be fine in the CAA for football with some upgrades. Anyone coming into the CAA is probably going to make the same upgrades.

BisonHype!
May 22nd, 2012, 09:54 AM
I think you are probably looking at a more consistently winning program to join the CAA than VMI, but thats my xtwocentsx

fc97
May 22nd, 2012, 10:03 AM
even at this level it is about markets

davidson gets charlotte
charleston gets charleston
elon gets triad/triangle
coastal gets myrtle beach

superman7515
May 22nd, 2012, 10:56 AM
VMI could be fine in the CAA for football with some upgrades. Anyone coming into the CAA is probably going to make the same upgrades.

I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell that they could compete or get invited. They haven't had a winning season since they won 6 games in 1981.

BisonHype!
May 22nd, 2012, 10:57 AM
I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell that they could compete or get invited. They haven't had a winning season since they won 6 games in 1981.

Ouch. That doesn't help for the resume.

danefan
May 22nd, 2012, 11:20 AM

That certainly doesn't help their chances, but since when are conference affiliation decisions being made solely on on-field success?

RichH2
May 22nd, 2012, 11:22 AM
MIGHT FIT, EVEN IF THEY LOSE ALL THE TIME, BUT VMI NOT LOOKING TO GO TO CAA IN THIS LIFETIME.

BisonHype!
May 22nd, 2012, 11:23 AM
That certainly doesn't help their chances, but since when are conference affiliation decisions being made solely on on-field success?

How is VMI in other sports?

WestCoastAggie
May 22nd, 2012, 11:23 AM
Whose more attractive to the CAA: Hampton or VMI?

danefan
May 22nd, 2012, 11:25 AM
How is VMI in other sports?

Doesn't matter. The article is only talking about a football member. I am as well.

All-sports does't make any sense at all. Football might.

BisonHype!
May 22nd, 2012, 11:26 AM
Doesn't matter. The article is only talking about football. I am as well.

Yes, but they would be considered not just on football. The CAA is a good basketball league as well. VCU!!!

danefan
May 22nd, 2012, 11:28 AM
Yes, but they would be considered not just on football. The CAA is a good basketball league as well. VCU!!!

I agree, but I don't think VMI is a good all-sports fit for the CAA. I don't even know if they'd want to be a CAA all-sports member.

BisonHype!
May 22nd, 2012, 11:35 AM
I agree, but I don't think VMI is a good all-sports fit for the CAA. I don't even know if they'd want to be a CAA all-sports member.

I TOTALLY AGREE! See, we are on the same page with each other.xthumbsupx

henfan
May 22nd, 2012, 11:40 AM

Probably since before VMI withdrew from the SoCon due to lack of competitiveness.
http://articles.dailypress.com/2000-10-27/sports/0010270020_1_vmi-conference-meetings-scheduling

BisonHype!
May 22nd, 2012, 11:48 AM
Probably since before VMI withdrew from the SoCon due to lack of competitiveness.
http://articles.dailypress.com/2000-10-27/sports/0010270020_1_vmi-conference-meetings-scheduling

Wow. Talk about waving the white flag.

DFW HOYA
May 22nd, 2012, 12:17 PM

This was a historical issue given VMI's admissions, academic commitments, and limited success on the field. There is little to be gained by knocking your head into a wall competitively when the other teams in your league don't have to. (see "Army, Conference USA, 1996-2003", "Davidson, Southern Conference, 1975-1985", or if things turn out poorly in the PL rush to scholarships, "Georgetown, Patriot League, 2012-2014")

henfan
May 22nd, 2012, 01:44 PM
This was a historical issue given VMI's admissions, academic commitments, and limited success on the field. There is little to be gained by knocking your head into a wall competitively when the other teams in your league don't have to.

I completely agree and don't necessarily fault VMI for doing what they needed to do. In this context though, the thought of VMI jumping into one of the toughest FCS conferences is absurd. They would likely face the very same competitive issues plus added travel costs in CAA FB.

alvinkayak6
May 22nd, 2012, 01:48 PM
VMI is not CAA-ready at all. Stony Brook and Liberty can compete, maybe even Coastal. VMI won't win more than one game.

OL FU
May 23rd, 2012, 06:41 AM
This was a historical issue given VMI's admissions, academic commitments, and limited success on the field. There is little to be gained by knocking your head into a wall competitively when the other teams in your league don't have to. (see "Army, Conference USA, 1996-2003", "Davidson, Southern Conference, 1975-1985", or if things turn out poorly in the PL rush to scholarships, "Georgetown, Patriot League, 2012-2014")

I realize the military angle makes VMI a little less competitive, but the Citadel has hung around. As far as academic commitments, the SoCon still has Furman, Wofford and Samford which I imagine might have higher or at least equal to VMI (but my guess is higher). And with respect to Davidson, while it might be the highest rated academic school in the SoCon, it isn't that far above Furman and Wofford. Davidson simply didn't want to commit the resources, so I am having a difficult time understanding the point except from the military angle.

henfan
May 23rd, 2012, 07:39 AM
I realize the military angle makes VMI a little less competitive, but the Citadel has hung around. As far as academic commitments...

It's not one element but a combination of those mentioned by DFW Hoya that makes VMI more than just "a little less competitive". This is a team that has won an average of 2 games per season over the last 8 with comparatively weak schedules. The CAA would be an absolute competitive nightmare for them.

Doc QB
May 23rd, 2012, 11:59 AM
It's not one element but a combination of those mentioned by DFW Hoya that makes VMI more than just "a little less competitive". This is a team that has won an average of 2 games per season over the last 8 with comparatively weak schedules. The CAA would be an absolute competitive nightmare for them.

Totally agree with above. Why ten years after you de-emphasized football, would you decide to put the bucks and the effort into an upgrade in league affiliation? What pushes that change? It certainly has not been dominating their current address. Ten years later the money now exists? Must have been a slow sports news day regarding football when this article was penned.

And while recognizing certain AGS opinions, football-wise, they dont belong in PL either.

Longhorn
May 23rd, 2012, 06:13 PM
Whose more attractive to the CAA: Hampton or VMI?

Neither. This is not going to happen. The article is idle speculation by a reporter with an agenda.

Longhorn
May 23rd, 2012, 06:16 PM

Agreed. CAA women's sports are very strong, and VMI offers nothing in that regard. But this random speculation by a reporter has zero chance of happening, even if it's just for FB.

kdinva
May 24th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Agreed. CAA women's sports are very strong, and VMI offers nothing in that regard.....

For what it is worth, VMI's women's X-country is regularly a top-3 performer in the Big South.........could be a top-5 regular in the CAA, but we'll never know.......

DFW HOYA
May 24th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Totally agree with above. Why ten years after you de-emphasized football, would you decide to put the bucks and the effort into an upgrade in league affiliation?

I think it's a little unfair to call VMI's Big South move deemphasis--they still fund at the same level and play I-A teams from time to time out of conference (Army, Virginia), albeit with predictable results.

What were the last I-AA schools to really be in a true deemphasis mode in recent memory? Rhode Island, maybe. Morehead State, perhaps. Who else?

danefan
May 24th, 2012, 10:02 AM
I think it's a little unfair to call VMI's Big South move deemphasis--they still fund at the same level and play I-A teams from time to time out of conference (Army, Virginia), albeit with predictable results.

What were the last I-AA schools to really be in a true deemphasis mode in recent memory? Rhode Island, maybe. Morehead State, perhaps. Who else?

Georgia State?

kdinva
May 24th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Doubtful. This isn't meant to be a knock on VMI but unless they significantly increase their athletic budget.....

VMI would love to, but with only 1550 in the Corps, only about 14-15K living alumni, we're doing our best in fundraising.

BisonHype!
May 24th, 2012, 10:09 AM
I don't think the VMI thing is happening. Just doesn't seem to fit the CAA mold.

kdinva
May 24th, 2012, 10:10 AM

xthumbsupx Doc QB is wrong. When the USMA left C-USA and went back to being an independant in FB, was that a de-emphasis?

GOODY26
May 24th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I don't see this happening anytime soon.

major095
May 24th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Hampton

Doc QB
May 24th, 2012, 11:50 AM
xthumbsupx Doc QB is wrong. When the USMA left C-USA and went back to being an independant in FB, was that a de-emphasis?

The minute I hit post, I realized "de-emphasized" probably did not accurately reflect the VMI move from SoCon football. However you want to characterize it, whatever word you use, it is probably VERY similar to Army leaving CUSA...both schools left a conference they did not compete particularly well in, seeking a different route using existing funding. And while they didnt "de-emphasize," in VMIs case, its not like the Keydets chose to build better football only facilities, pay the coaches more, etc to join the arms race to stay competitive in the SoCon either. Was never meant to be a put down. They changed direction/focus, which is their choice.

And given that choice, how would they expect to fare any better in the CAA having apparently done little (recognizing some of their inherent limitations a military institution) to compete with a better league?

kdinva
May 24th, 2012, 12:30 PM
The minute I hit post, I realized "de-emphasized" probably did not accurately reflect the VMI move from SoCon football. However you want to characterize it, whatever word you use, it is probably VERY similar to Army leaving CUSA...both schools left a conference they did not compete particularly well in, seeking a different route using existing funding. And while they didnt "de-emphasize," in VMIs case, its not like the Keydets chose to build better football only facilities, pay the coaches more, etc to join the arms race to stay competitive in the SoCon either. Was never meant to be a put down. They changed direction/focus, which is their choice.

Point understood.........it wasn't until a big donation in 2006 did VMI upgrade Alumni Mem. Field, the FB building, a new practice field w/SprinTurf + lights, a 2200 sq. ft. auxiliary weight room below the locker room, etc. Others donated $$ to enhance salaries, etc. (VMI is, I think, 5th of 7 Big south teams with regards to the HC's pay).

ngineer
May 24th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Doubtful. VMI would seriously struggle, financially, to compete in the CAA. This isn't meant to be a knock on VMI but unless they significantly increase their athletic budget I don't see how they could even come close to keeping up with the joneses.

Absolutely. Too small and underfinanced to compete with such large programs.

Doc QB
May 24th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Point understood.........it wasn't until a big donation in 2006 did VMI upgrade Alumni Mem. Field, the FB building, a new practice field w/SprinTurf + lights, a 2200 sq. ft. auxiliary weight room below the locker room, etc. Others donated $$ to enhance salaries, etc. (VMI is, I think, 5th of 7 Big south teams with regards to the HC's pay).

The best kind of nation...do-nation. Upgrades like that are the lifeblood of FCS programs. For better or worse, our level of football here still sees a sharp divide in spending much like FBS. And each program has its unique struggles. If we didnt, we'd all be like Texas.