PDA

View Full Version : Nooga.com article:From the SEC to the Socon? Not as easy as it sounds

chattownmocs
May 17th, 2012, 08:18 AM
http://nooga.com/155363/from-bcs-to-utc-not-as-easy-as-it-sounds/

SpeedkingATL
May 17th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Good article and a fair accessment.

boogereagle
May 17th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Ditto. Thanks for the link.

We had a big time transfer QB once who was supposed to be all world. Actually, we've had two now that I think of it -- Joe Dupree from UGA and that kid from Ohio State, Antonio Hinton (Henson? My mind's not working so good today). Neither really panned out.

Course, we also had a transfer from the Naval Academy, a B=back -- he wasn't a star, but he played some good football during his time in Statesboro.

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I'm not real big on BCS transfers. They think they can show up to any FCS school and dominate immediately. Then they figure out playing time will not just be given away.

If those guys had a chance at playing time at the BCS school, they wouldn't be transferring.

seantaylor
May 18th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Transfers are hilarious. I see other teams praise a kid as a "good signing" when the kid never played a snap in 2 years at Ohio U. Give me a high school recruit 98/100 times.

chattownmocs
May 18th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Nooga.com Article

The Wait is over: Conference realignment knocks on UTC, Southern Conference door

http://nooga.com/155399/the-wait-is-over-conference-realignment-knocks-on-utc-socon-door/

blueballs
May 18th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Ditto. Thanks for the link.

We had a big time transfer QB once who was supposed to be all world. Actually, we've had two now that I think of it -- Joe Dupree from UGA and that kid from Ohio State, Antonio Hinton (Henson? My mind's not working so good today). Neither really panned out.

Course, we also had a transfer from the Naval Academy, a B=back -- he wasn't a star, but he played some good football during his time in Statesboro.

GSU has enjoyed some good and sometimes great luck with transfers through the years. Some that come to mind are Jaybo Shaw, Vance Pike, Nate Gates, Lamar Lewis, Gino Tutera, Irving Campbell, and I could go on if I had time.

GSU has also had some massive disappointments too: Joe Dupree, Tavares Kearney, Mike McIntosh, James Boger, Henton, among others.

The article illustrated a good point: If the kid is transferring for the right reasons- to be closer to home, playing time, better fit in a system- then it is a good thing. If a kid is running away from discipline problems then he is best left alone.

SpiritCymbal
May 18th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Nooga.com Article

The Wait is over: Conference realignment knocks on UTC, Southern Conference door

http://nooga.com/155399/the-wait-is-over-conference-realignment-knocks-on-utc-socon-door/

Nice article. Thanks for sharing.

boogereagle
May 19th, 2012, 12:21 PM
GSU has enjoyed some good and sometimes great luck with transfers through the years. Some that come to mind are Jaybo Shaw, Vance Pike, Nate Gates, Lamar Lewis, Gino Tutera, Irving Campbell, and I could go on if I had time.

GSU has also had some massive disappointments too: Joe Dupree, Tavares Kearney, Mike McIntosh, James Boger, Henton, among others.

The article illustrated a good point: If the kid is transferring for the right reasons- to be closer to home, playing time, better fit in a system- then it is a good thing. If a kid is running away from discipline problems then he is best left alone.

Excellent point and thanks for refreshing my memory on our transfer history. I hadn't thought there were quite that many over the years --- for some reason my brain gets stuck on Dupree and Henton.

Brad82
May 19th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Good article.
Straight out of HS is best bet.

alvinkayak6
May 21st, 2012, 11:50 PM

You can have players with both family issues and discipline ones. In fact, I would wager that's the case most of the time.

chattownmocs
May 22nd, 2012, 09:01 AM
Mocs add another transfer

Dean Haynes from NC State

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/may/20/dean-haynes-transfers-from-nc-state-to-utc/ (http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/may/20/dean-haynes-transfers-from-nc-state-to-utc/)

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/multimedia/dynamic/00534/W_Carolina_NC_State_534288e.jpg

asumike83
May 22nd, 2012, 09:56 AM
Judging from the picture, this guy just likes beating up on Western! xtroublex

PaladinFan
May 22nd, 2012, 09:58 AM
I'm not real big on BCS transfers. They think they can show up to any FCS school and dominate immediately. Then they figure out playing time will not just be given away.

If those guys had a chance at playing time at the BCS school, they wouldn't be transferring.

My experience is that the use of transfers needs to be strategic. Going just off memory, the two transfers that really elevated their teams to the next level in recent memory were Ingle Martin at Furman and Jaybo Shaw at Georgia Southern. However, they make up a minority of folks on the long list of great SoCon players over the past 10 years who were not transfers.

UTC took on transfers for years under previous coaching regimes. UTC often had the best athletes and worst football players in the conference. Perhaps Huseman can do what his predecessors could not, and turn these transfers into solid contributors. History says the odds are not in his favor (nor in any coaches favor) as the great players in this league are most of the time home grown.

Apphole
May 22nd, 2012, 10:04 AM
Judging from the picture, this guy just likes beating up on Western! xtroublex

Judging by the pic, you can tell that he rode the bench until State was 30 points up on Western...

chattownmocs
May 22nd, 2012, 10:09 AM
Judging by the pic, you can tell that he rode the bench until State was 30 points up on Western...

He started 8 games at RB as a redshirt freshman.

BisonHype!
May 22nd, 2012, 10:10 AM
Mocs add another transfer

Dean Haynes from NC State

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/may/20/dean-haynes-transfers-from-nc-state-to-utc/ (http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/may/20/dean-haynes-transfers-from-nc-state-to-utc/)

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/multimedia/dynamic/00534/W_Carolina_NC_State_534288e.jpg

NICE!

chattownmocs
May 22nd, 2012, 10:12 AM
My experience is that the use of transfers needs to be strategic. Going just off memory, the two transfers that really elevated their teams to the next level in recent memory were Ingle Martin at Furman and Jaybo Shaw at Georgia Southern. However, they make up a minority of folks on the long list of great SoCon players over the past 10 years who were not transfers.

UTC took on transfers for years under previous coaching regimes. UTC often had the best athletes and worst football players in the conference. Perhaps Huseman can do what his predecessors could not, and turn these transfers into solid contributors. History says the odds are not in his favor (nor in any coaches favor) as the great players in this league are most of the time home grown.

The vast majority of players are not transfers. So clearly the majority of great players are not transfers.

BisonHype!
May 22nd, 2012, 10:24 AM
The vast majority of players are not transfers. So clearly the majority of great players are not transfers.

Sometimes you need to transfer down if your not getting the opprotunity to play. If you have a really good player in front of you that will be there for a couple years... Maybe that is your best option. That isn't always the case, but sometimes. I don't know enough about this guy to make that call though.

asumike83
May 22nd, 2012, 05:53 PM
Speaking of SEC to the SoCon, saw a rumor on the MMB that Lamar Scruggs (WR) and Eric Baker (RB) are transferring to Appalachian from South Carolina. Both were 4-star recruits out of HS, Baker in 2008 and Scruggs in 2009. Weren't getting playing time in Columbia and decided to head to Boone, if the rumors are accurate.

Both took a redshirt and I believe Scruggs would have two years and Baker just one. Baker wasn't listed on the 2011 roster that I see, so he may have two years as well depending on whether he used up a year of eligibility in 2011. Not sure how that works. If nothing else, they should certainly provide some great competition in camp and if they make an impact, even better.

chattownmocs
May 22nd, 2012, 06:24 PM
Speaking of SEC to the SoCon, saw a rumor on the MMB that Lamar Scruggs (WR) and Eric Baker (RB) are transferring to Appalachian from South Carolina. Both were 4-star recruits out of HS, Baker in 2008 and Scruggs in 2009. Weren't getting playing time in Columbia and decided to head to Boone, if the rumors are accurate.

Both took a redshirt and I believe Scruggs would have two years and Baker just one. Baker wasn't listed on the 2011 roster that I see, so he may have two years as well depending on whether he used up a year of eligibility in 2011. Not sure how that works. If nothing else, they should certainly provide some great competition in camp and if they make an impact, even better.

Neitehr did much at South Carolina. That doesn't mean they won't do much at App State. Recruiting rankings are an inexact science and obviously they didn't live up to the hype but a 4 star player is an elite talent and they have good talent for this level.

The bottom line is, people can hate on transfers all they want, but I'd rather ya'll didn't have these guys next year as a fan of an opposing team. It's not like they are really costing you guys much and they are at positions where ya'll need help and if they turn out well could completely upgrade your offense to a completely different level.

asumike83
May 22nd, 2012, 07:32 PM
Neitehr did much at South Carolina. That doesn't mean they won't do much at App State. Recruiting rankings are an inexact science and obviously they didn't live up to the hype but a 4 star player is an elite talent and they have good talent for this level.

The bottom line is, people can hate on transfers all they want, but I'd rather ya'll didn't have these guys next year as a fan of an opposing team. It's not like they are really costing you guys much and they are at positions where ya'll need help and if they turn out well could completely upgrade your offense to a completely different level.

Absolutely. I never have a problem with a program taking transfers, just the unrealistic expectations it can bring. I'm not counting on them to come in and elevate our offense to the next level but the athletic ability is certainly there. As you said, low-risk move with nice upside.

Turns out it may not matter! xlolx

Spurrier says he is:
https://twitter.com/#!/gogamecocks/status/205058518573776899

Scruggs, not so much:
https://twitter.com/#!/LamarScruggs/status/205065370145521664

Maybe the head ball coach hasn't told him his free ride is up yet...

PaladinFan
May 23rd, 2012, 07:01 AM

That doesn't make sense.

Of course the majority of players are not transfers. However, there are a good number of transfers in the SoCon. I would be surprised if every SoCon team (maybe except the Citadel) had fewer than four or five on roster -- some schools with much more. The point I am making is that because a guy played and started at an FBS school does not mean he will dominate this level of competition. Some have (Martin and Shaw), but most play out quiet careers as backups.

chattownmocs
May 23rd, 2012, 08:34 AM
That doesn't make sense.

Of course the majority of players are not transfers. However, there are a good number of transfers in the SoCon. I would be surprised if every SoCon team (maybe except the Citadel) had fewer than four or five on roster -- some schools with much more. The point I am making is that because a guy played and started at an FBS school does not mean he will dominate this level of competition. Some have (Martin and Shaw), but most play out quiet careers as backups.

Actually your point didn't make any sense. If your argument is that a higher percentage of players taken out of high school have a major impact than those that are transfers than you are wrong. To take it a step further, are you are insinuating that the last guy in your next recruiting class, the guy you like the least(which is who the transfer is replacing) is a better take than a guy who was clearly superior out of high school and didn't work out for good reason? These 2 transfers for Chattanooga aren't costing them anything except the last 2 guys(on their board) they would have signed next year. I don't think the kid from NC State is going to be a great player hear. However, at the very least, his NC State bio raves that he is an exemplary team player. Coming out of high school scouts raved about his leadership skills. Not to mention that the 2nd S spot is the biggest ? on our D. As far as Lott goes, I would not be surprised if he makes a major impact. He wasn't great at Georgia but they didn't want to lose him and that tells me a lot.

Looking back at UTC transfers....

BJ Coleman- Maybe didn't work out as well as some hoped but it was definitely worth it.

Chris Donald- only lasted one year because of injuries but had a huge year.

Keith Burns- did nothing

Terrance Davis- Caught 14 passes his first year and then left the program.

Sean Stackhouse- Import Special Teams player last year. Don't expect him to do much at TE.

Kevin Revis- Started immediately on the O-line, has 2 more years of eligibilty.

Chris Mayes- was forced to redshirt last year but had a huge spring and easily won a starting spot.

Some moves work some don't. So far Russ has a pretty good track record because he isn't taking bad character guys. These latest 2 are no different.

mocman1990
May 23rd, 2012, 06:57 PM
As others have said...usually transfers are about 50/50 on working out.

I like Huesman's approach. He is pretty picky and his first option is always to go with high schoolers...typically his IA picks have all been just to fill in need positions.