PDA

View Full Version : Jerome Simpson - Coastal WR from a few years ago

MplsBison
April 25th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Vikings (NFL) signed this guy. Was wondering if anyone from Coastal or teams that played them when he was a standout WR had any opinions on him?

I guess he had some criminal problems here recently, but Viks thought he would be worth taking a chance.

GlassOnion
April 25th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Vikings (NFL) signed this guy. Was wondering if anyone from Coastal or teams that played them when he was a standout WR had any opinions on him?

I guess he had some criminal problems here recently, but Viks thought he would be worth taking a chance.

Watched him twice, regular season in 05, Coastal had just beat the defending NC JMU, and came into Boone the week after.

He had 1 catch for 10 yards.

2006 playoffs, 7 catches for 132,
although Corey Lynch, our 3x AA and future draft pick Safety was out injured.

Both App wins.

I remember him making a few nice catches , I imagine after 6 years or so in the NFL he's improved.

Mr. C
April 25th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Great athlete, but a knucklehead otherwise. A day after being named to the preseason Payton Award watch list as a senior, Simpson got arrested in a domestic dispute. The off-field stuff has followed him around everywhere he has gone.

kdinva
April 25th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Simspon was a fine receiver at CCU, one of the top 6, I'd say, in the 10 year history of that Conference. But his college days most remembered for his goof in the 4th qtr. of the Charleston Southern game, that ultimately gave CSU a share of the 2005 Big South title; and kept CCU from an at-large berth in the 2005 post-season.

http://articles.mcall.com/2005-11-24/sports/3635678_1_coastal-carolina-ncaa-division-i-aa-football-end-zone

Libertine
April 25th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Great athlete, but a knucklehead otherwise. A day after being named to the preseason Payton Award watch list as a senior, Simpson got arrested in a domestic dispute. The off-field stuff has followed him around everywhere he has gone.

Totally accurate. Physically, he is a freak. Freakish wingspan, freakishly large hands and freakish vertical leap (also freakishly large forehead ;) ). However, he was either never taught the techniques of the position in high school and college or he refused to listen. The knock on him when Cincy drafted him was that he had all the physical tools and attributes to be a great NFL receiver but none of the mental ones.

cbarrier90
April 25th, 2012, 11:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFcsWB6CgOw

Mr. C
April 25th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Totally accurate. Physically, he is a freak. Freakish wingspan, freakishly large hands and freakish vertical leap (also freakishly large forehead ;) ). However, he was either never taught the techniques of the position in high school and college or he refused to listen. The knock on him when Cincy drafted him was that he had all the physical tools and attributes to be a great NFL receiver but none of the mental ones.

I had the chance to spend some time with him at the Big South media day when he was a senior. Not the sharpest tack in the box.

Mr. C
April 25th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Simspon was a fine receiver at CCU, one of the top 6, I'd say, in the 10 year history of that Conference. But his college days most remembered for his goof in the 4th qtr. of the Charleston Southern game, that ultimately gave CSU a share of the 2005 Big South title; and kept CCU from an at-large berth in the 2005 post-season.

http://articles.mcall.com/2005-11-24/sports/3635678_1_coastal-carolina-ncaa-division-i-aa-football-end-zone

Talent-wise, I'd rank Simpson as the best receiver to come out of the Big South. You are right about the memories of that goofy play against Charleston Southern. Why put a mentally-challenged player in a position like that, however?

asumike83
April 25th, 2012, 06:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFcsWB6CgOw

Beat me to it. Guy ain't the sharpest tool in the shed but that is one of the single best touchdowns I have ever seen, at any level.

MplsBison
April 26th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Alright...well, assuming the Vikings don't trade the #3 pick away, maybe they won't use it on Blackmon afterall.

cbarrier90
April 26th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Alright...well, assuming the Vikings don't trade the #3 pick away, maybe they won't use it on Blackmon afterall.

Please do. I'd love for Kalil or Claiborne to fall to #9. :)

MplsBison
April 26th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Please do. I'd love for Kalil or Claiborne to fall to #9. :)

I get drafting Kalil - but then again there have been more than a couple articles in the MSP media pointing out the fact that teams using their #1 pick to draft high profile OT recently haven't done much. Examples are always the Browns and Dolphins, but there were others too.

gotts
April 26th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I think taking an OT at 3 would be better than taking a CB at 3.

Ideally, I'd like the Vikes to get another pick out of the deal and trade down to #5 with Tampa or #6 with STL.

MplsBison
April 26th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Heard this morning that Bills offered #9 or #10 (can't quite recall) plus a second round.

I'd prefer doing something like this, ie build up with the draft. Just want more picks out of the deal.

gotts
April 26th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Heard this morning that Bills offered #9 or #10 (can't quite recall) plus a second round.

I'd prefer doing something like this, ie build up with the draft. Just want more picks out of the deal.

I heard that, but I don't think #10 and #42 are enough for the #3 pick. I think this year's first talent drop off comes after the top 6, and you've got to get compensated better than that for leaving the top 6.