PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern moving to FBS

Pages : 1 [2]

MplsBison
April 26th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Ok then, I'll put you in the "not competent enough to articulate your actual thoughts" bin.

I know you're capable, of course and I know you have "grown up" versions of your thoughts on this topic. You just refuse to share them at my request due to your hatred of me, from past experience on bisonsports.net and here.

chattownmocs
April 26th, 2012, 12:26 PM
So basically we have a program that knows full well that the landscape of college football will be completely different 8 years from now than it is today. Basically they are trying to raise funds to fund their poor athletic programs using the scam of FBS football. Sad.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 26th, 2012, 12:28 PM
So basically we have a program that knows full well that the landscape of college football will be completely different 8 years from now than it is today. Basically they are trying to raise funds to fund their poor athletic programs using the scam of FBS football. Sad.

Better than being a fan of a program that is unremarkable in any way who is desperately trying to get someone to give a **** but failing miserably.

Oops - did I just say that? Tourette's

chattownmocs
April 26th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Better than being a fan of a program that is unremarkable in any way who is desperately trying to get someone to give a **** but failing miserably.

Oops - did I just say that? Tourette's

Here come the rejects out of the wood work to spout off the irrelevant garbage. Let's pretend that Chattanooga is unremarkable and no one cares. That would be interesting if this thread or my post actually talked about, mentioned, or even alluded to it in some way. So basically by randomly spouting off garbage you are conceding my point and failing miserably yourself.

dbackjon
April 26th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I can't speak for anyone else but I have no anger toward the lower-tier FBS schools or conferences. I want App to go FBS. My reasons include being able to work out a better OOC home schedule for the fans, get a bit more exposure and open the door to giving our program a higher ceiling.

I think that what rubs a lot of people the wrong way is when fans think that going FBS is going make their program front page news on ESPN. It seems like 10 minutes after an FBS invite, you get a lot of "know your place" and "stupid FCS fans" type of comments coming in.

It is not specific to any one program and it is not all of the fans but that is bothersome. I am a "pro-FBS" App fan and have no problem with any program that gets there before us. It is the unrealistic expectations/perception of their program and air of superiority from some fans that is obnoxious. If a program is transitioning to FBS for the right reasons, more power to them.

I think you put that well.

If a school thinks that an FBS conference, is the best place for them, then good luck. But being in the Sunbelt or WAC makes you no more relevant to 99% of the populace than being in FCS.

Sunbelt/WAC is still not "bigtime" football - for that matter, MAC/CUSA barely is as well.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 26th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Here come the rejects out of the wood work to spout off the irrelevant garbage. Let's pretend that Chattanooga is unremarkable and no one cares. That would be interesting if this thread or my post actually talked about, mentioned, or even alluded to it in some way. So basically by randomly spouting off garbage you are conceding my point and failing miserably yourself.

Well come on. You're here to talk smack about Georgia Southern while UTC is of no consequence to anyone, anywhere.

I can't believe I'm sticking up for GSU.

AshevilleApp2
April 26th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I love how every thread eventually is hijacked to being about NDSU. :D

xpopcornx

darell1976
April 26th, 2012, 12:55 PM

xpopcornx

Pass the popcorn buddy.xpopcornx

MplsBison
April 26th, 2012, 01:06 PM

If a school thinks that an FBS conference, is the best place for them, then good luck. But being in the Sunbelt or WAC makes you no more relevant to 99% of the populace than being in FCS.

Sunbelt/WAC is still not "bigtime" football - for that matter, MAC/CUSA barely is as well.

What's big time? Pac 12/Big Ten/SEC?

That's not really fair, in my opinion. No school currently in the FCS will ever be able to obtain that level. Even Boise St, the end all, be all of what an FCS move-up can expect to accomplish "only" draws 30k's for home games, "only" pays their head coach $2 million per year, etc.

So you say that if you can't be "big time", then you should just stay in FCS? No hope to accomplish anything better?

BisonBacker
April 26th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Well hell lets throw the NICKNAME Debacle for UND in here to and just make it a free for all xpopcornx

I-16Bandit
April 26th, 2012, 01:17 PM

xpopcornx

Let's start a NDSU thread, and maybe it will turn into a SoCon discussion.

PaladinFan
April 26th, 2012, 01:20 PM

Agreed.

I wish nothing but the best to schools that think they are better off somewhere else. Moving does not make them any more relevant than they already are. Georgia Southern will maintain its status as a regional university regardless of where it is.

darell1976
April 26th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Let's start a NDSU thread, and maybe it will turn into a SoCon discussion.

Then UND will be thrown in.

ASUMountaineer
April 26th, 2012, 02:06 PM

I don't disagree. But, I will say that each individual school is different, and certain aspects of FBS may fit that school better than the FCS. If so, then it makes sense to move. I don't think relevance is at the forefront of reasons why schools look to make the move. Relevance could be a reason for some delusional fans. Of course, I never really knew that so many people would be so emotionally passionate about a possible move to the FBS--so I shouldn't be surprised by anything regarding reclassification.

I personally am not looking for ASU to be "relevant" nationwide because that is not realistic for ASU, and I don't believe a move--even to the Alliance--would achieve that. However, I do feel that the Alliance, and maybe the Sun Belt, would provide a better fit for ASU (though I'm glad I'm not making that decision). I also doubt you'll find that the motivation from ASU's admin is to become "relevant."

TheRevSFA
April 26th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Well hell lets throw the NICKNAME Debacle for UND in here to and just make it a free for all xpopcornx

Let's throw in Texas speed too..just to bring back posts from late December.

Cue AlphaGriz to call Sam fans racists...

dbackjon
April 26th, 2012, 02:52 PM
What's big time? Pac 12/Big Ten/SEC?

That's not really fair, in my opinion. No school currently in the FCS will ever be able to obtain that level. Even Boise St, the end all, be all of what an FCS move-up can expect to accomplish "only" draws 30k's for home games, "only" pays their head coach $2 million per year, etc.

So you say that if you can't be "big time", then you should just stay in FCS? No hope to accomplish anything better?

Yes - that level is big time. Sunbelt is not.

for many schools, FCS is the best you can get - without the resources to compete. NDSU doesn't have to resources to compete. If you can't compete, why be a bottom feeder?

dbackjon
April 26th, 2012, 02:55 PM
I don't disagree. But, I will say that each individual school is different, and certain aspects of FBS may fit that school better than the FCS. If so, then it makes sense to move. I don't think relevance is at the forefront of reasons why schools look to make the move. Relevance could be a reason for some delusional fans. Of course, I never really knew that so many people would be so emotionally passionate about a possible move to the FBS--so I shouldn't be surprised by anything regarding reclassification.

I personally am not looking for ASU to be "relevant" nationwide because that is not realistic for ASU, and I don't believe a move--even to the Alliance--would achieve that. However, I do feel that the Alliance, and maybe the Sun Belt, would provide a better fit for ASU (though I'm glad I'm not making that decision). I also doubt you'll find that the motivation from ASU's admin is to become "relevant."

And that is great - if ASU finds a conference that is a better institutional fit than the SoCon, and that conference happens to play FBS, then it is a wise move. Getting into a conference with ECU, etc would be a no-brainer for ASU, in my opinion - especially when you add in Marshall, etc.

Honestly, I don't see the Sunbelt as a better fit for ASU, but if the SoCon keeps adding private schools, it may ;)

chattownmocs
April 26th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Well come on. You're here to talk smack about Georgia Southern while UTC is of no consequence to anyone, anywhere.

I can't believe I'm sticking up for GSU.

If you would have polled the country a year ago and asked them whether they cared more about the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga or the entire state of North Dakota I think it would have been pretty close.

Why there are 2 state universities in that irrelevant state with less than 700,000 people is beyond me, nevertheless you guys finally did something of consequence and that was win a C-level football championship. Let me congratulate you and then erase you and your entire state from my consciousness.

Hammerhead
April 26th, 2012, 03:06 PM
I guess I'm one of those old timers who attended the 1986 D-II championship. There was a much "bigger" atmosphere in Frisco this year. That might be because the Bison have more fans now and our opponent back then was South Dakota so both fanbases had a long way to travel. I can't imagine there being any more buzz around the lower-tier bowl games.

The bolded statement is false. While in Frisco, I spoke with several "old timers" who attended the DII Championship Games and they all stated that the FCS Championship was a completely different level.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 26th, 2012, 03:11 PM
If you would have polled the country a year ago and asked them whether they cared more about the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga or the entire state of North Dakota I think it would have been pretty close.

Why there are 2 state universities in that irrelevant state with less than 700,000 people is beyond me, nevertheless you guys finally did something of consequence and that was win a C-level football championship. Let me congratulate you and then erase you and your entire state from my consciousness.

Yawn, Your school has fewer students, a smaller endowment and no national championships to speak of. UTC as many winning seasons as your family has branches to its tree.

chattownmocs
April 26th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Yawn, Your school has fewer students, a smaller endowment and no national championships to speak of. UTC as many winning seasons as your family has branches to its tree.

It's not the 1st or second largest university in the state. It is what it is. But it will always be more relevant that anything out of the state of North Dakota. The fact that you live in Ohio says it all. I hope you aren't actually from North Dakota making inbred jokes. That would be rich.

darell1976
April 26th, 2012, 03:28 PM
It's not the 1st or second largest university in the state. It is what it is. But it will always be more relevant that anything out of the state of North Dakota. The fact that you live in Ohio says it all. I hope you aren't actually from North Dakota making inbred jokes. That would be rich.

UTC is more relevant than anything out of ND?? Please tell the AGS world and myself a ND resident and a UND fan some examples of the relevancy of UTC compared to the State of ND and its 2 major schools...UND and NDSU.

eaglemachine
April 26th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Agreed.

I wish nothing but the best to schools that think they are better off somewhere else. Moving does not make them any more relevant than they already are. Georgia Southern will maintain its status as a regional university regardless of where it is.

According to Georgia Southern's administration, the goal is to become a nationally known university. We have made a lot of progress in academics recently (adding an engineering school, doubling our research budget, taking over a research facility in Savannah) and we have 20K+ students now. The fb coach and the president's desire is to move athletics to gain more national notoriety for our academic programs.

http://www.wtoc.com/category/153752/...clipId=7047632

Apphole
April 26th, 2012, 03:36 PM
UTC and the state of North Dakota are both very irrelevant to this thread.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 26th, 2012, 03:39 PM

I'll tell you what it is. It's a safety school for those who couldn't get into Knoxville. I live in Ohio because my wife is getting her PhD. For those who go to academically rigorous schools, you will know it is better to have a more diverse education if you are going that far. She could probably teach at UT-Whatever right now, genius.

TheRevSFA
April 26th, 2012, 03:39 PM
North Dakota has 700k residents and a large oil and gas field

UTC has one fan who spews a lot of hot air and gas.

Kinda similar.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 26th, 2012, 03:41 PM
North Dakota has 700k residents and a large gas field

Kinda similar.

+1

bullitt_60
April 26th, 2012, 03:41 PM

How is preparing a long term plan for possibly changing and raising money for the football program, therefore benefiting the entire athletic program, a bad thing? Dr. Keel was very candid about what is required, so how is that a scam or sad. Have you or do you plan on donating to the GSU program?

The reaction from many in this thread is confusing to me. This isn't even a sure thing. The program is stagnant and needs an infusion of enthusiasm. This might do just that. It's not like the university has said "we are moving up next year and will be teh best EVAR!". Out of all the programs in FBS, has GSU not paid their dues enough to talk about a move?

Agreed.

You're right. I'm going to write a letter to the university that they should just give up now and stop trying to improve. I mean, what's the point really?

chattownmocs
April 26th, 2012, 03:45 PM
UTC is more relevant than anything out of ND?? Please tell the AGS world and myself a ND resident and a UND fan some examples of the relevancy of UTC compared to the State of ND and its 2 major schools...UND and NDSU.

What has North Dakota ever done? I follow college sports pretty closely and outside of Hockey and 1 year of football Iv'e never heard of either school doing anything remotely impressive other than that.

darell1976
April 26th, 2012, 03:45 PM
North Dakota has 700k residents and a large oil and gas field

Kinda similar.

xlolxxthumbsupx

darell1976
April 26th, 2012, 03:46 PM
What has North Dakota ever done? I follow college sports pretty closely and outside of Hockey and 1 year of football Iv'e never heard of either school doing anything remotely impressive other than that.

Are you talking just sports or the schools in general??

PaladinFan
April 26th, 2012, 03:53 PM
According to Georgia Southern's administration, the goal is to become a nationally known university. We have made a lot of progress in academics recently (adding an engineering school, doubling our research budget, taking over a research facility in Savannah) and we have 20K+ students now. The fb coach and the president's desire is to move athletics to gain more national notoriety for our academic programs.

http://www.wtoc.com/category/153752/...clipId=7047632

I don't dispute that is the goal. I'm just questioning whether that is reality.

95% of the GSU student body is from the State of Georgia. I see a lot of their moves as progressive, but not necessarily increasing the scope. If, for example, GSU intends on adding an engineering school, that is great, but its a market that is already saturated with one of the nations top undergraduate engineering program at Georgia Tech, a good one at Mercer, and news came out last month that UGA is about to start their own program too (that may well make Mercer's program a dinosaur).

BisonBacker
April 26th, 2012, 04:00 PM

You need to get out of your parents basement, that would help a lot. Smell some fresh air and not your own AZZ excrements xlolx

The Eagle's Cliff
April 26th, 2012, 04:01 PM

95% of the GSU student body is from the State of Georgia. I see a lot of their moves as progressive, but not necessarily increasing the scope. If, for example, GSU intends on adding an engineering school, that is great, but its a market that is already saturated with one of the nations top undergraduate engineering program at Georgia Tech, a good one at Mercer, and news came out last month that UGA is about to start their own program too (that may well make Mercer's program a dinosaur).

Everything you said above is correct. Mercer is a great school, but there are a lot of people who couldn't afford to attend. UGA, Tech, and State are all pretty close to each other geographically. There are another 5 million people in the state closer to Statesboro, which is what gives us room to grow. As it is, half of our students come from UGA, Tech, and State territory in the Greater Atlanta Metro area.

Silenoz
April 26th, 2012, 04:11 PM
There shouldn't be any limitations on neg repping someone's posts. Bush league!

bullitt_60
April 26th, 2012, 04:13 PM

I understand your point a little better now and somewhat agree. However, at a minimum, GSU has to compete in state for resources from other regional universities. This plan could help differentiate the school.

Just as an FYI and not taking away from your point, but GSU has had an engineering school for quite a while. I graduated from it in 2004. :D Eagles Cliff brings up a good point and why I went to Southern... The vast majority of GA HS graduates stay in state for the Hope Scholarship. I didn't want to live at home and go to Tech and couldn't afford Auburn or Clemson, so Southern it was. I turned out okay. xthumbsupx

chattownmocs
April 26th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Are you talking just sports or the schools in general??

I put a lot of stock into what state universities do academically regardless. But I really can't think of a whole lot ya'll have doe as a state or things that you citizens have done. or landmarks, or historical figures or events. Or current events. You are one of the most nondescript and irrelevant states if not THE most. Didn't ya'll kill Custer? That's about it right?

bullitt_60
April 26th, 2012, 04:31 PM
I put a lot of stock into what state universities do academically regardless. But I really can't think of a whole lot ya'll have doe as a state or things that you citizens have done. or landmarks, or historical figures or events. Or current events. You are one of the most nondescript and irrelevant states if not THE most. Didn't ya'll kill Custer? That's about it right?

You're right. For example, Tennessee destroys North Dakota in meth production. Y'all are second only to Missouri. Keep trying and you'll get that top spot!

Being serious, why are you attacking any other school or state? I think Chattanooga is a great little town, but it isn't exactly a cultural, manufacturing, or scientific mecca. Why can't you brag about the good things your school/region is doing without tearing down someone else's?

clenz
April 26th, 2012, 04:34 PM
You're right. For example, Tennessee destroys North Dakota in meth production. Y'all are second only to Missouri. Keep trying and you'll get that top spot!

Being serious, why are you attacking any other school or state? I think Chattanooga is a great little town, but it isn't exactly a cultural, manufacturing, or scientific mecca. Why can't you brag about the good things your school/region is doing without tearing down someone else's?

While he is greatly overstating what he is trying to say....he makes a valid point.

Outside of the state of ND and about 45 minute of the states boarder in MN/SD/MT ND isn't every really on anyone's mind.

Now, that isn't that Chatty is either. However, to compare a city to a state in terms of relevance doesn't say much for one's intelligence.

Apphole
April 26th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Tennesse is an absolute **** hole.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 26th, 2012, 04:38 PM

You know. I figured that out about 10 miles across the border when I absolutely flew through that state on my way to Texas. I couldn't get a radio station that wasn't country or bible readings.

Squealofthepig
April 26th, 2012, 04:39 PM
I know, I know, this is all fun and games, but how about getting back to the GSU move itself?

Found this article (http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/04/25/2120079/georgia-southern-announces-steps.html) when perusing for new articles - not much new, but definitely still being watched by some media. And, in http://www.gadaily.com/index.php/sports/502-sports-football/7575-football-prepares-for-fbs-transition-, there's a choice quote:

“A lot of the time frame is out of our hands, primarily because you have to be invited to join a conference and we have not been invited to join any conferences at this time,” Keel said.

“The NCAA says, in order for you to move, you have to let them know by June, and I highly doubt we will make a move by this June,” Keel said.

chattownmocs
April 26th, 2012, 04:42 PM

Georgia is pretty high up on that list I'm sure. As well as just about every negative. Georgia is not one of the most irrelevant, but they are one of the biggest failures. But South Georgia clearly takes the cake for most depressing area I have ever been to.

chattownmocs
April 26th, 2012, 04:44 PM
You know. I figured that out about 10 miles across the border when I absolutely flew through that state on my way to Texas. I couldn't get a radio station that wasn't country or bible readings.

Sound like a cool story especially coming from a guy from North Dakota. Do you think anyone actually buys that? You are going to have to come up with something that would apply to Tennessee far more than it would North Dakota. This certainly is not one of them.

The Eagle's Cliff
April 26th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Georgia is pretty high up on that list I'm sure. As well as just about every negative. Georgia is not one of the most irrelevant, but they are one of the biggest failures. But South Georgia clearly takes the cake for most depressing area I have ever been to.

I agree if you're talking South-Central and Southwest, which is mostly Agricultural, but Southeast Georgia or The Coastal Empire does pretty well.

The funny thing about your comment is someone from Tennessee talking about "most depressed" in any other state besides Mississippixlolx Tennessee brings up images of Appalachian people who speak in a dialect that can't be understood. The TVA was created just to give the state some type of industry and Oak Ridge was built because no one thought the radiation could make Tennesseans any more retarded than inbreeding had already done.

chattownmocs
April 26th, 2012, 04:46 PM

For a place of it's size and population I'd say there are less places in Tennessee that could be considered a ****hole than probably anywhere else in America. If Memphis was moved to it's rightful home of Arkansas is probably wouldn't even be close.

BisonHype!
April 26th, 2012, 04:48 PM
If Georgia Southern makes the jump, then good for them. No reason to be jealous, but I hope they can find a division to be competitive in.

bullitt_60
April 26th, 2012, 04:53 PM
While he is greatly overstating what he is trying to say....he makes a valid point.

Outside of the state of ND and about 45 minute of the states boarder in MN/SD/MT ND isn't every really on anyone's mind.

Now, that isn't that Chatty is either. However, to compare a city to a state in terms of relevance doesn't say much for one's intelligence.

Are you questioning my intelligence? If so, exchange "Chattanooga" with "Tennessee" and my point stands. He's trolling in here to start a fight. The season is over and this isn't a smack talk thread!

Be careful what you say because the only reason Chattanooga is in TN is due to a surveying error of the 35th parallel in 1818. If that mistake hadn't been made you would be a fan of the University of Georgia at Chattanooga.

I'm sure there is a meth problem in GA... but none of this is relevant.

Silenoz
April 26th, 2012, 04:55 PM
My state can beat up your states

Thank you Chatty for taking up the space in the void JBB has left in his absence

Silenoz
April 26th, 2012, 04:56 PM
If Georgia Southern makes the jump, then good for them. No reason to be jealous, but I hope they can find a division to be competitive in.

I already partially want my team to jump, but if the ASU and GSU's of the world jump then my hold on FCS starts to slip

Apphole
April 26th, 2012, 04:58 PM
For a place of it's size and population I'd say there are less places in Tennessee that could be considered a ****hole than probably anywhere else in America. If Memphis was moved to it's rightful home of Arkansas is probably wouldn't even be close.

I've been driving back and forth through east Tennessee recently. It's as close to the third world as anything in the United States. As soon as you leave NC the roads become ****ty, the houses stop having foundations and start having tin roofs and every car on the road was made in the 90's or earlier. A trip to Tennessee is a trip back in time.

darell1976
April 26th, 2012, 05:05 PM

UND does have some famous alumns I know you aren't aware of. A few are Sally Smith CEO of Buffalo Wild Wings, Ronald Davies the judge that ordered Central High School in Little Rock, AR in 1957 to be desegragated, and Phil Jackson NBA coaching legend. UND also is the first school in the world to offer a 4 year UAS degree (so they can use Drones into war zones without harming American pilots). But enough of the TN-ND war, and back to the topic.

Baldy
April 26th, 2012, 05:10 PM
There are more multimillion dollar properties within a 30 mile radius of my home (in south Georgia) than there is in the entire state of Tennessee. So GFY. xlolx

BisonHype!
April 26th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Yea it sucks losing those teams that carry name value and tradition. With them leaving other teams will take their place though. The FCS will be just fine.

BisonHype!
April 26th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I already partially want my team to jump, but if the ASU and GSU's of the world jump then my hold on FCS starts to slip

This is what I was referring to with my earlier post. Sorry. Just had shoulder surgery, and typing sux with one hand.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 26th, 2012, 06:03 PM
UND does have some famous alumns I know you aren't aware of. A few are Sally Smith CEO of Buffalo Wild Wings, Ronald Davies the judge that ordered Central High School in Little Rock, AR in 1957 to be desegragated, and Phil Jackson NBA coaching legend. UND also is the first school in the world to offer a 4 year UAS degree (so they can use Drones into war zones without harming American pilots). But enough of the TN-ND war, and back to the topic.

OH don't even get into it with him. Suffice it to say that I graduated from NDSU and I am immensely smarter than him.

GSU Eagle
April 26th, 2012, 07:58 PM
How good is llinois St.? Just thought I would throw this into the discussion.

Hammerhead
April 26th, 2012, 09:39 PM
There are actually 11 public colleges and universities North Dakota although only 3 of them have more than 4,000 students. They are listed in the Constitution which makes it all but impossible to eliminate the smaller schools with fewer students than a typical high school in a large metro area.

PaladinFan
April 27th, 2012, 06:44 AM
There are more multimillion dollar properties within a 30 mile radius of my home (in south Georgia) than there is in the entire state of Tennessee. So GFY. xlolx

I've said it time and again, but the wealthiest Georgians do not live anywhere near Atlanta.

chattownmocs
April 27th, 2012, 06:55 AM
I've been driving back and forth through east Tennessee recently. It's as close to the third world as anything in the United States. As soon as you leave NC the roads become ****ty, the houses stop having foundations and start having tin roofs and every car on the road was made in the 90's or earlier. A trip to Tennessee is a trip back in time.

This is some of the most retarded nonsense that You have ever posted. If you think East Tennessee is in any way a "****hole" that you haven't been very many places. There are poor Hillbilly's, just like there are in North Carolina. Get real.

chattownmocs
April 27th, 2012, 06:59 AM

That sounds like a pretty retarded statement. Do you have any evidence to back this up. Not that a small area of multimillion dollar properties in the middle of hundreds of miles of miles that looks like Sherman burnt through yesterday would save it anyway.

Apphole
April 27th, 2012, 07:08 AM
This is some of the most retarded nonsense that You have ever posted. If you think East Tennessee is in any way a "****hole" that you haven't been very many places. There are poor Hillbilly's, just like there are in North Carolina. Get real.

Deliverance country man. Old cars, rebel flags, trailers, tin roofs, mullets, the works. All the way from the border to Elizabethton. You can't even make a cell phone call until you hit Johnson City.

chattownmocs
April 27th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Deliverance country man. Old cars, rebel flags, trailers, tin roofs, mullets, the works. All the way from the border to Elizabethton. You can't even make a cell phone call until you hit Johnson City.

Johnson City? That's a few miles from North Carolina. That sounds like your neck of the woods. So basically your school is up in the mountains and you are complaining that you have to drive through the mountains to get to Johnson City. That's your area.

eaglemachine
April 27th, 2012, 07:29 AM
That sounds like a pretty retarded statement. Do you have any evidence to back this up. Not that a small area of multimillion dollar properties in the middle of hundreds of miles of miles that looks like Sherman burnt through yesterday would save it anyway.

Seriously? Have you never been to the Georgia Coast? Sea Island, St Simons Island, Savannah, Jekyll Island. There is a reason why the G8 summit was held here a couple of years ago.

chattownmocs
April 27th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Seriously? Have you never been to the Georgia Coast? Sea Island, St Simons Island, Savannah, Jekyll Island. There is a reason why the G8 summit was held here a couple of years ago.

Seriously? You actually believe that there are more "multi million dollar properties" in those places than there are in the entire state of Tennessee. You are actually going to go with that?

PaladinFan
April 27th, 2012, 07:35 AM

I was going to respond to him, but it is really not even worth the effort.

Not that it matters, but the resort at Sea Island just sold for $214.4 million.

TheRevSFA
April 27th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Sometimes you just have to let Chattown run his mouth, then watch him disappear after another lackluster season

LakesBison
April 27th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Thread back on track, talkin deliverence & confederacy!

dont you hillbillys go changin on us !

Apphole
April 27th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Johnson City? That's a few miles from North Carolina. That sounds like your neck of the woods. So basically your school is up in the mountains and you are complaining that you have to drive through the mountains to get to Johnson City. That's your area.

JC is an hour and a half from Boone. As soon as you pass the "Welcome to Tennessee sign," the road turns from smooth to rough. Just accept the fact that East Tennessee is the third world. It reminds me of those commercials...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y38_umcO6QI

Apphole
April 27th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Thread back on track, talkin deliverence & confederacy!

dont you hillbillys go changin on us !

Don't judge the developed south by the Hills Have Eyes types in east Tennessee. Pull your head out of your *** and eat your lutefisk, you Canadian Commy prick. You and Chattown should both be committed.

darell1976
April 27th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Don't judge the developed south by the Hills Have Eyes types in east Tennessee. Pull your head out of your *** and eat your lutefisk, you Canadian Commy prick. You and Chattown should both be committed.

Or replay a scene from Deliverance.xlolx

chattownmocs
April 27th, 2012, 08:33 AM
JC is an hour and a half from Boone. As soon as you pass the "Welcome to Tennessee sign," the road turns from smooth to rough. Just accept the fact that East Tennessee is the third world. It reminds me of those commercials...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y38_umcO6QI

It's all about priorities. The quality of road gets a whole lot better when you cross from Georgia into tennessee and that is Interstate 75 not some remote outlier highway. The area that you are hating on is your area not mine. It may be in my state but it's your area. Anyone with a brain knows that East Tennessee is one of the most beautiful areas in the this country.

chattownmocs
April 27th, 2012, 08:34 AM

East Tennessee is vastly superior to Western Carolina, anyone with a brain would tell you that.

Apphole
April 27th, 2012, 08:46 AM
It's all about priorities. The quality of road gets a whole lot better when you cross from Georgia into tennessee and that is Interstate 75 not some remote outlier highway. The area that you are hating on is your area not mine. It may be in my state but it's your area. Anyone with a brain knows that East Tennessee is one of the most beautiful areas in the this country.

Oh it is definitely a beautiful area, close to the beautiful area where I spend my undergrad years, but there is an obvious distinction on either side of the border. The scenery is the same, but that is where the similarities stop. Boone has it's rough spots on the outskirts, but the vast majority is nice and well kept. Plus, it's a total college town so most people aren't hillbillies. In stark contrast, as soon as you hit Tennessee the difference is obvious. Mud holes with trailers everywhere, piles of hundreds of garbage bags on every back porch, stringy-haired people with a wad of chew in their mouthes. For just 2 dollars a day you can sponsor on of these less fortunate individuals. You can't change the world, but you can make a difference in a child's life today...

The area I'm hating on is your state, not mine.

Apphole
April 27th, 2012, 08:46 AM
East Tennessee is vastly superior to Western Carolina, anyone with a brain would tell you that.

ETSU>WCU I'll give you that I guess.

klak
April 27th, 2012, 09:08 AM
This thread is going places.

PaladinFan
April 27th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Or replay a scene from Deliverance.xlolx

Deliverance was filmed neither in Tennessee or North Carolina. It was filmed in Georgia.

Not that that fact advances the argument.

WH49er
April 27th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Plus, it's a total college town so most people aren't hillbillies.

Yea those people coming in from Todd are high class. Boone has a Wal-Mart so don't try to make it some utopia.

I will agree Eastern TN is pretty crappy other than places like Roan Mountain and Watauga Lake.

Apphole
April 27th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Yea those people coming in from Todd are high class. Boone has a Wal-Mart so don't try to make it some utopia.

I will agree Eastern TN is pretty crappy other than places like Roan Mountain and Watauga Lake.

Be careful now, a very hefty contingent of ASU grads/students and I are from the QC.

chattownmocs
April 27th, 2012, 11:09 AM

The Johnson City/Elizabethton area is a very small portion of East Tennessee. Let me help you out....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/East_Tennessee-counties.png

TheBisonator
April 27th, 2012, 01:06 PM

I saw some of Boone on Google Street View, and most of the town, especially the main commercial strip on the south side, looked really nice. Boone to me almost looked like if there was a town of 15,000 or so in the middle of the Vermillion Range in NE Minnesota. Boone's commercial strip looked no different than what you would see in any Minnesota town, as far as newness/cleanliness.

asumike83
April 27th, 2012, 01:33 PM
I saw some of Boone on Google Street View, and most of the town, especially the main commercial strip on the south side, looked really nice. Boone to me almost looked like if there was a town of 15,000 or so in the middle of the Vermillion Range in NE Minnesota. Boone's commercial strip looked no different than what you would see in any Minnesota town, as far as newness/cleanliness.

Boone is a gorgeous little college town. Some of the surrounding areas are not kept up with quite as well but I really love the entire region. Boone is still very small but it has grown leaps and bounds in the last 10 years.

Baldy
April 27th, 2012, 01:37 PM

Of course it sounds retarded...to a retard.

Follow the link, Corky.

http://www.usamls.net/glynncountyrealestate/default.asp?content=results&menu_id=207398&this_format=1&query_id=119797004&sortby=2

At the link you will see 114 homes for sale with a list price in excess of $1,000,000 in only one portion of one county in southern Georgia. Keep in mind that these are only the homes that are for sale, it doesn't include the countless numbers of $1,000,000+ properties that aren't for sale. xchinscratchx

chattownmocs
April 27th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Of course it sounds retarded...to a retard.

Follow the link, Corky.

http://www.usamls.net/glynncountyrealestate/default.asp?content=results&menu_id=207398&this_format=1&query_id=119797004&sortby=2

At the link you will see 114 homes for sale with a list price in excess of $1,000,000 in only one portion of one county in southern Georgia. Keep in mind that these are only the homes that are for sale, it doesn't include the countless numbers of $1,000,000+ properties that aren't for sale. xchinscratchx

And there is more there than the entire state of Tennessee? My guess is that there are more in the Nashville Metro Area alone than there are in the area you speak of. Certainly in the entire State of Tennessee it isn't even close.

For example, here are 245 in Nashville alone.

http://www.homes.com/Real_Estate/TN/City/NASHVILLE/?minprice=1000000

WH49er
April 27th, 2012, 02:28 PM
The Johnson City/Elizabethton area is a very small portion of East Tennessee. Let me help you out....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/East_Tennessee-counties.png

Oh thanks, I thought Tennessee was only comprised of two counties.

Nice map, Chattown's color by numbers?

chattownmocs
April 27th, 2012, 02:34 PM

No that would be a map of East Tennessee. It's actually broke up into 3 parts. It isn't just figurative.

WH49er
April 27th, 2012, 02:43 PM
No that would be a map of East Tennessee. It's actually broke up into 3 parts. It isn't just figurative.

So finish'er up, central TN is blue and western TN is green. Put a little gold star where you think the capital is and we will slap this bad boy on the fridge.

After that get your sippy cup and go back to your mat.

Baldy
April 27th, 2012, 03:03 PM
And there is more there than the entire state of Tennessee? My guess is that there are more in the Nashville Metro Area alone than there are in the area you speak of. Certainly in the entire State of Tennessee it isn't even close.

For example, here are 245 in Nashville alone.

http://www.homes.com/Real_Estate/TN/City/NASHVILLE/?minprice=1000000

xlolx

I would hope Nashville would have more. All I showed was a PORTION of a county that has a population of less than 80,000 people. Nashville has a population of 500,000+. xcrazyx

By comparison Nashville should have over 700 1 million dollar plus properties for sale instead of the paltry 245. And I thought "Music City" was full of rich country music stars. xlolx

cbarrier90
April 27th, 2012, 03:04 PM

I'm surprised he was able to color that portion inside the lines AND without numbers!

He deserves a gold star.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 27th, 2012, 03:05 PM
xlolx

I would hope Nashville would have more. All I showed was a PORTION of a county that has a population of less than 80,000 people. Nashville has a population of 500,000+. xcrazyx

By comparison Nashville should have over 700 1 million dollar plus properties for sale instead of the paltry 245. And I thought "Music City" was full of rich country music stars. xlolx

Even funnier. I got off on what was clearly the wrong exit to get gas when I was passing through Nashville and the only "star" I saw was a hooker.

WH49er
April 27th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I'm surprised he was able to color that portion inside the lines AND without numbers!

He deserves a gold star.

In Mecca, states color themselves....xnodx

344Johnson
April 27th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Since we seem to have totally gotten off-topic, I decided now would be a great time to post a random video. Hope south park fans, and Asia fans enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=5XAeizasDDg&feature=endscreen

chattownmocs
April 27th, 2012, 04:30 PM
xlolx

Really? The whole reason we are having this conversation is because you made an idiotic comment that you had more within 30 miles of your house than the entire state of Tennessee. You made an assinine comment and it was a major failure. Now you are really going to and backtrack. Are you kidding me? GTFO

chattownmocs
April 27th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Damn I just looked up Savannah on my database and it has a whole 67 properties for sale worth 1,000,000 or more. Knoxville isn't close to twice it's size and it has 211. And the median income is much higher, while the poverty rate is much lower. I actually thought Savannah was high class until I did research. Get that garbage out of here.

Apphole
April 27th, 2012, 05:20 PM
This guy will really argue about anything. He must have a millimeter peter

GSU Eagle
April 27th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Is the housing market getting any better in Las Vegas?

Tuscon
April 27th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I keep forgetting this thread isn't about GS planning to move to FBS. This sucks.

eaglemachine
April 27th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Damn I just looked up Savannah on my database and it has a whole 67 properties for sale worth 1,000,000 or more. Knoxville isn't close to twice it's size and it has 211. And the median income is much higher, while the poverty rate is much lower. I actually thought Savannah was high class until I did research. Get that garbage out of here.

Did you bother checking the surrounding islands that are already Savannah and the beaches?....guess not.

chattownmocs
April 27th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Did you bother checking the surrounding islands that are already Savannah and the beaches?....guess not.

What am I checking for? Are the surrounding Islands around there nice? Im sure they are. Are there more million dollars homes there than the entire state of Tennessee? Not even close. Does this small area redeem the cesspool that is South Georgia? Absolutely not.

The Eagle's Cliff
April 27th, 2012, 08:05 PM

This just means there are more than 3X as many people who wanted to get the hell out of Knoxville than Savannah.

TheRevSFA
April 27th, 2012, 08:35 PM
This just means there are more than 3X as many people who wanted to get the hell out of Knoxville than Savannah.

Pat Summitt is just selling her houses

Baldy
April 27th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Really? The whole reason we are having this conversation is because you made an idiotic comment that you had more within 30 miles of your house than the entire state of Tennessee. You made an assinine comment and it was a major failure. Now you are really going to and backtrack. Are you kidding me? GTFO
xlolx

I was trolling you and you took the bait hook line and sinker. I caught the biggest retard on this forum and did it in about 30 seconds. xbowx

Baldy
April 27th, 2012, 10:54 PM

You better fix your database. According to the Knoxville MLS there are 122 residential properties listed in the Knoxville Metropolitan Area (700,000 population) that are $1,000,000 or more.

According to the Savannah MLS, there are 132 residential properties listed in the Savannah Metropolitan Area (355,000 population) that are listed at $1,000,000 or more.

Another EPIC FAIL!!! xlolx

Try again, Corky. xthumbsupx

NoCoDanny
April 28th, 2012, 12:21 AM
I thought the title of this was Georgia State moving to FBS not "dip****s who think NDSU belongs in FBS"

That's every thread.

TheRevSFA
April 28th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Well looks like the WAC needs a new member, as UTSA has approval to accept a CUSA invite

Hammerhead
April 28th, 2012, 04:45 PM
At least this guy knows the name of a city in NoDak. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HrN9RDjkn5k

TheRevSFA
April 28th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Good news for Georgia state fans: that dream rivalry you have with Texas State is going to happen. BobcatReport is saying tx state to the belt

Just remember, Kathy Ireland doesn't play for this Texas state

TheBisonator
April 28th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Good news for Georgia state fans: that dream rivalry you have with Texas State is going to happen. BobcatReport is saying tx state to the belt

Just remember, Kathy Ireland doesn't play for this Texas state

So what happens with the WAC now, with what I'm hearing about UTSA going to CUSA?? Does it dissolve??

TheRevSFA
April 28th, 2012, 08:03 PM
So what happens with the WAC now, with what I'm hearing about UTSA going to CUSA?? Does it dissolve??

Wac folds.

Mountaineer#96
April 29th, 2012, 09:16 AM
No way the WAC survives as a football league unless they hatch a master plan to grab the Montanas and start eating up the rest of the Big Sky, which no one seems to think they can do.

TheRevSFA
April 30th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Well since USU and SJSU are to MWC, UTSA to CUSA, Texas State to Sun Belt..that leaves La Tech (who will go CUSA) and NMSU and Idaho.

MWC could take NMSU to set up a nice in conference rivalry with UNM, and let's be honest, both programs are FBS programs loaded with DII talent.

Idaho just need to go back to the Big Sky.

So, if CUSA takes UNT, and FIU from the Belt, and the Belt replaces with Texas State and Ga State...where does GA Southern go?

NoDak 4 Ever
April 30th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Well since USU and SJSU are to MWC, UTSA to CUSA, Texas State to Sun Belt..that leaves La Tech (who will go CUSA) and NMSU and Idaho.

MWC could take NMSU to set up a nice in conference rivalry with UNM, and let's be honest, both programs are FBS programs loaded with DII talent.

So, if CUSA takes UNT, and FIU from the Belt, and the Belt replaces with Texas State and Ga State...where does GA Southern go?

After they have banged on the tin cup a little more and received the donations they need, they will "reevaluate" the FBS landscape and deem it too volatile for this move.

Apphole
April 30th, 2012, 10:07 AM
If the SBC somehow doesn't take GaSo or even App, the two schools (along with several others) will be just desperate enough to endure a 5-year post-season ban and start a new FBS conference. It really is FBS or bust for the big programs at this point.

TheRevSFA
April 30th, 2012, 10:43 AM
If the SBC somehow doesn't take GaSo or even App, the two schools (along with several others) will be just desperate enough to endure a 5-year post-season ban and start a new FBS conference. It really is FBS or bust for the big programs at this point.

I'd be willing to bet that doesn't happen. App and GA South will probably be forced to be in FCS for another decade.

Apphole
April 30th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I'd be willing to bet that doesn't happen. App and GA South will probably be forced to be in FCS for another decade.

No way. There is no scenario in which App remains FCS. In the UNLIKELY event that we don't go SBC, we will find another way.

TheRevSFA
April 30th, 2012, 10:57 AM
No way. There is no scenario in which App remains FCS. In the UNLIKELY event that we don't go SBC, we will find another way.

I can think of a scenario. 1) you don't get an invite. 2) NCAA doesn't approve the new conference. Boom! There's your scenario.

frozennorth
April 30th, 2012, 11:15 AM

i'm guessing nmsu and idaho both end up in the BSC. Latech ends up in the sunbelt.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 30th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I can think of a scenario. 1) you don't get an invite. 2) NCAA doesn't approve the new conference. Boom! There's your scenario.

He might be disappointed when he finds out that ASU doesn't have as much juice as he thinks.

TheRevSFA
April 30th, 2012, 11:23 AM
He might be disappointed when he finds out that ASU doesn't have as much juice as he thinks.

I'm not dogging App State in any way, however, let's look at the most recent additions to FBS and what they have in common.

Texas State and UTSA - market (Austin-San Antonio) UTA - Market (DFW) Ga State - Market (Atlanta) Seattle U - Market (Seattle) Denver - Market...and so on and so on.

App has a great program, a great atmosphere, and their mid 2000s championships are great as well, however, the University itself isn't big enough to make up for the lack of Market up there. Now I know App State says they have Charlotte pretty well covered, however, it's more desirable to look at a school that's in the metropolitan area as opposed to not.

That's the landscape right now. Deny it, or don't, but the only reason GA state was pulled up was due to Atlanta, the only reason Charlotte will be pulled back is for market.

It is what it is.

Apphole
April 30th, 2012, 11:24 AM

The only juice we don't have is that "urban center concentrate." We have more Football Ale than Canada U (NDSU) could dream of. Jesus Christ, talk about delusions of grandeur. To say we have an inflated perception of ourselves as a NDSU fan at this point is the most hypocritical thing I've ever heard.

Apphole
April 30th, 2012, 11:28 AM
I'm not dogging App State in any way, however, let's look at the most recent additions to FBS and what they have in common.

Texas State and UTSA - market (Austin-San Antonio) UTA - Market (DFW) Ga State - Market (Atlanta) Seattle U - Market (Seattle) Denver - Market...and so on and so on.

App has a great program, a great atmosphere, and their mid 2000s championships are great as well, however, the University itself isn't big enough to make up for the lack of Market up there. Now I know App State says they have Charlotte pretty well covered, however, it's more desirable to look at a school that's in the metropolitan area as opposed to not.

That's the landscape right now. Deny it, or don't, but the only reason GA state was pulled up was due to Atlanta, the only reason Charlotte will be pulled back is for market.

It is what it is.

We also have tri-cities, Asheville, Winston and Greensboro. The problem is we aren't technically inside the media market. We'll go eventually, but the naive lower FBS conference powers will pick up the glorified community colleges first because they want their existing teams to make appearances INSIDE these big cities every year. With every GaSt or UNCC they pick up, they weaken their conference's strength of schedule just to desperately attempt to compete with the big boys in a beauty/marketing contest that they have no chance in hell of winning.

frozennorth
April 30th, 2012, 11:50 AM
The only juice we don't have is that "urban center concentrate." We have more Football Ale than Canada U (NDSU) could dream of. Jesus Christ, talk about delusions of grandeur. To say we have an inflated perception of ourselves as a NDSU fan at this point is the most hypocritical thing I've ever heard.

you mean the flagship state school with 9 titles at three different levels of play across four decades in the fairly wealthy, booming city in the fairly wealthy booming state should look up to the recently successful regional southern college? Convincing argument sir!

We also have tri-cities, Asheville, Winston and Greensboro. The problem is we aren't technically inside the media market. We'll go eventually, but the naive lower FBS conference powers will pick up the glorified community colleges first because they want their existing teams to make appearances INSIDE these big cities every year. With every GaSt or UNCC they pick up, they weaken their conference's strength of schedule just to desperately attempt to compete with the big boys in a beauty/marketing contest that they have no chance in hell of winning.

agree with this.

Tuscon
April 30th, 2012, 11:51 AM

It's more of a long term investment. Sure, what you said will be true for at least a couple years. Probably more like 5 or so, but we have tremendous upside due, in part, to our media market. I do think they should mix it up a little and I really hope if Sun Belt grabs any more FCS teams App State gets the phone call.

asumike83
April 30th, 2012, 11:53 AM

It is what it is.

All of those reasons listed are exactly why we are currently without an invite and why we are likely to have to wait in line behind a few more big market start-ups before we get one. However, there are only so many of them out there and now that it seems UTSA, LA Tech, FIU and North Texas are C-USA bound, the only one left is UNCC who I think will be headed that way as well.

Don't get me wrong, there is no chance we get an invite before the deadline but once all these TV markets are spoken for, we will move up the list and my hope is that we go FBS as package deal with GA Southern. Although you could be right about us staying FCS for the long haul, I think it is unlikely. 2014 is the year I've had in mind since the feasibility study concluded and as of yet, nothing has happened to change my mind.

The Eagle's Cliff
April 30th, 2012, 11:53 AM

I have to agree with Apphole here. There are several scenarios flying around among several schools and current FBS Conferences. I think the big picture will be clearer after the 2012 season when CUSA has made its moves and the Sunbelt has a better idea of what teams are left to get to 12.

Instead of folding, the WAC may add a mixture of current FBS and FCS schools in the East to have an East-West Conference with a Championship game. The possibility also still exists for further ACC and Big 12 Expansion that could undo some of what CUSA and the MW have already done. Remember that TCU went to the Big East then the Big 12 without ever playing a season in the Big East.

There are 2 more full seasons to play before the current contract runs out. I think App St and Ga Southern will be transitioning to FBS by that 2014 season, if not sooner.

Apphole
April 30th, 2012, 12:02 PM
you mean the flagship state school with 9 titles at three different levels of play across four decades in the fairly wealthy, booming city in the fairly wealthy booming state should look up to the recently successful regional southern college? Convincing argument sir!

Nothing matters until you get to D-1 and the flagship school of the the third most desolate state in the union is hardly a bragging point. We are shedding our regional status and way more people care a lot about football in the south than in North Dakota.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 30th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Nothing matters until you get to D-1 and the flagship school of the the third most desolate state in the union is hardly a bragging point. We are shedding our regional status and way more people care a lot about football in the south than in North Dakota.

NDSU's endowment is almost 60% higher than ASU's. That is where the rubber meets the road in academia.

The Eagle's Cliff
April 30th, 2012, 12:15 PM
NDSU's endowment is almost 60% higher than ASU's. That is where the rubber meets the road in academia.

NDSU is not a "peer school" of most of the FCS. The only reason NDSU was DII and now FCS is because of ND small population.

If you want to "compare" endowments, look to the "Big Deal" schools in our respective states.

asumike83
April 30th, 2012, 12:21 PM

Recently successful? We have been playing since 1928 and have higher winning percentage in our program's history than NDSU, despite the fact that y'all were playing D2 schedules as recently as 5 years ago.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 30th, 2012, 12:35 PM
NDSU is not a "peer school" of most of the FCS. The only reason NDSU was DII and now FCS is because of ND small population.

If you want to "compare" endowments, look to the "Big Deal" schools in our respective states.

I'm not sure how NDSU is Dickwater U most of the time but also compares to "Big Deal" schools.

The Eagle's Cliff
April 30th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I'm not sure how NDSU is Dickwater U most of the time but also compares to "Big Deal" schools.

NDSU doesn't compare to Big State U in most states, but it is Big State U in Dickwater State, USA. Naturally, NDSU should be further along in all phases than former "Dickwater" Teacher's Colleges like App St and Ga Southern. NDSU doesn't really compare well with it's neighbors in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, or even Montana.

Again, compared to the rest of FCS, NDSU looks like a big deal, but so does the 15-year old kid playing 8th grade football.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 30th, 2012, 01:14 PM
NDSU doesn't compare to Big State U in most states, but it is Big State U in Dickwater State, USA. Naturally, NDSU should be further along in all phases than former "Dickwater" Teacher's Colleges like App St and Ga Southern. NDSU doesn't really compare well with it's neighbors in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, or even Montana.

Again, compared to the rest of FCS, NDSU looks like a big deal, but so does the 15-year old kid playing 8th grade football.

Oh, so GSU and ASU are big time, only when they're not. I see. Arguing both sides is a sure fire way to win.

MplsBison
April 30th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I think the Sun Belt would do well to take a look at Alabama St as a possible partner with Georgia St. Their new stadium is looking very nice and it's just a 2 hr drive up I-85 from Monty to ATL.

Only question would be if AL St has any money for the move up and upgrading the team to FBS? And it's not like 'Bama or Auburn can block them from moving up, ASU can just play the race card if they get pressure. (they probably don't care anyway)

Idaho will drop football before moving back to the FCS. The investment has been made to FBS football. That's not something you backslide on. What fans they have would up and leave in disgust.

frozennorth
April 30th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Recently successful? We have been playing since 1928 and have higher winning percentage in our program's history than NDSU, despite the fact that y'all were playing D2 schedules as recently as 5 years ago.

ndsu football sucked before the 60's UNI, UND, etc all have winning records against NDSU all time, but are significantly behind since roughly 1960.

App state didn't do **** until 2005. Unless 78 years as an also-ran counts for ****.

TheRevSFA
April 30th, 2012, 01:34 PM
I think the Sun Belt would do well to take a look at Alabama St as a possible partner with Georgia St. Their new stadium is looking very nice and it's just a 2 hr drive up I-85 from Monty to ATL.

Only question would be if AL St has any money for the move up and upgrading the team to FBS? And it's not like 'Bama or Auburn can block them from moving up, ASU can just play the race card if they get pressure. (they probably don't care anyway)

Idaho will drop football before moving back to the FCS. The investment has been made to FBS football. That's not something you backslide on. What fans they have would up and leave in disgust.

What fans for Idaho? Exactly..they have none.

If NCAA enforced the attendance rule, they'd be back to FCS in a heartbeat. They only averaged 11k

frozennorth
April 30th, 2012, 01:38 PM

academically, NDSU is either a peer or slightly more academically distinguished school than Montana, aside from the lack of a law school. On the field you can make an argument that NDSU has already largely matched montana presently, though it obviously lacks the D1 history.

as far as comparing NDSU to Wisconsin, most flagship southern universities would come up very short in that comparison as well. GT is the obvious exception.

BisonFan02
April 30th, 2012, 02:07 PM
This whole "dick measuring" converation about a football program's history versus today to me doesn't seem relevant when discussing jumping to the FBS. By that point, NDSU had won 3 "college division" championships while App was still NAIA....so what? Other than making a case (and it would be a stretch to a point) that a prolonged program history would have a less fickle fanbase versus a start up program, I don't understand why it is relevant to making an FBS jump. I would look at it more as a "snapshot" or feasibility study conversation personally. Without the financial backing and capability, how would your program history and how long you've been FCS matter?

asumike83
April 30th, 2012, 02:18 PM
This whole "dick measuring" converation about a football program's history versus today to me doesn't seem relevant when discussing jumping to the FBS. By that point, NDSU had won 3 "college division" championships while App was still NAIA....so what? Other than making a case (and it would be a stretch to a point) that a prolonged program history would have a less fickle fanbase versus a start up program, I don't understand why it is relevant to making an FBS jump. I would look at it more as a "snapshot" or feasibility study conversation personally. Without the financial backing and capability, how would your program history and how long you've been FCS matter?

I agree, it has nothing to do with a program's ability to transition to the FBS. I also have no problem with NDSU and would be proud of the history if I were a fan as well. My only issue was with being called a "recently successful" program when we've been putting winning teams on the field at this level for a long time.

Being the best in your division is something to be proud of but putting App down because we were only a playoff team in 1AA while NDSU was winning titles in D2 would be like an App fan trying to say we're better than Clemson, South Carolina, Arkansas, etc. because they were only playing in bowl games while we were winning FCS titles. Apples and oranges.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 30th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I agree, it has nothing to do with a program's ability to transition to the FBS. I also have no problem with NDSU and would be proud of the history if I were a fan as well. My only issue was with being called a "recently successful" program when we've been putting winning teams on the field at this level for a long time.

Being the best in your division is something to be proud of but putting App down because we were only a playoff team in 1AA while NDSU was winning titles in D2 would be like an App fan trying to say we're better than Clemson, South Carolina, Arkansas, etc. because they were only playing in bowl games while we were winning FCS titles. Apples and oranges.

Blame Apphole. He's a **** starter. Kind of like a more well spoken Lakes.

Apphole
April 30th, 2012, 02:27 PM

This was the catalyst. Nice try

JSUBison
April 30th, 2012, 02:32 PM

I don't think the Sun Belt would want another Alabama school. They already have Troy and South Alabama.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 30th, 2012, 02:33 PM
This was the catalyst. Nice try

All I was saying there is you more than likely don't have enough anything to start your own FBS conference. It had nothing to do with NDSU.

Apphole
April 30th, 2012, 02:40 PM
All I was saying there is you more than likely don't have enough anything to start your own FBS conference. It had nothing to do with NDSU.
You're making it sound like I was saying we were going to start the "Appalachian State Conference." I'm just saying, in the unlikely event we don't get picked up by the dregs of the FBS, don't underestimate the resolve of a desperate group of FBS wanna bees.

Its last call at the bar. You either bring home the fat chick in the corner or you're stuck with the ol' right hand. Either way, you're gettin' a nut.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 30th, 2012, 02:52 PM
You're making it sound like I was saying we were going to start the "Appalachian State Conference." I'm just saying, in the unlikely event we don't get picked up by the dregs of the FBS, don't underestimate the resolve of a desperate group of FBS wanna bees.

Its last call at the bar. You either bring home the fat chick in the corner or you're stuck with the ol' right hand. Either way, you're gettin' a nut.

With the trend being fewer conferences and not more, even that fat chick has an even uglier friend cockblocking you.

asumike83
April 30th, 2012, 02:55 PM
With the trend being fewer conferences and not more, even that fat chick has an even uglier friend cockblocking you.

... everybody hates THAT chick!

Apphole
April 30th, 2012, 02:55 PM

UNCC?

WH49er
April 30th, 2012, 03:31 PM
UNCC?

Your adminstration were the ones who stated the Sun Belt doesn't work for App.

I guess it's not so easy to look in the mirror.

Apphole
April 30th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Don't look at me. I'm absolutely keen on the belt so long as we take GaSo and/or UNCC to give us at least one rival.

Eaglesrus
April 30th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Don't look at me. I'm absolutely keen on the belt so long as we take GaSo and/or UNCC to give us at least one rival.

In saying "so long as we take GaSo" are you talking about paying our way? If so, WE'RE IN!!

BisonFan02
April 30th, 2012, 06:19 PM
In saying "so long as we take GaSo" are you talking about paying our way? If so, WE'RE IN!!

Soooo.....does that make GaSo the chick that shows up to the bar with no money and mooches booze? I don't like that chick either. :D

Eaglesrus
April 30th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Soooo.....does that make GaSo the chick that shows up to the bar with no money and mooches booze? I don't like that chick either. :D

Well, we're a little short on the 36 million lump and the extra 4.4 million per year (minimum) that our administration says we need.

344Johnson
April 30th, 2012, 09:22 PM

Before 1960 NDSU was average at best. Since then....well, times changed pretty quickly.

TheRevSFA
April 30th, 2012, 10:04 PM
So sunbelt is 12/10. 10 football and then uta and UALR for other sports. Do they get more football schools or sit at 10?

asumike83
April 30th, 2012, 11:29 PM
So sunbelt is 12/10. 10 football and then uta and UALR for other sports. Do they get more football schools or sit at 10?

I believe Benson is on record as saying he wants 12 for football.

Tuscon
April 30th, 2012, 11:48 PM
I believe Benson is on record as saying he wants 12 for football.

Hoping for App State and LA Tech/UNCC(whichever doesn't go CUSA).

eaglewraith
May 1st, 2012, 06:08 AM

You guys are really hoping to avoid us.

Tuscon
May 1st, 2012, 06:25 AM

Not really. As I've told people over on PantherTalk, GS in the FBS serves to slow our growth. As of now, there's only three FBS programs in the state of Georgia and we'll have a recruiting edge because of that. Another Georgia school only serves to cause more recruits head southbound rather than sticking around in Atlanta. So, it's purely selfish, but that's why I don't want Southern to move up. I wouldn't mind a weekend trip to Savannah with some football in between though. But I can get Savannah without Georgia Southern.

Cocky
May 1st, 2012, 06:39 AM

Dont feel bad most all of them are hoping to avoid us. We get the rural market treatment too and we have close to a million people within 50 miles of campus.

cbarrier90
May 1st, 2012, 06:45 AM
Not really. As I've told people over on PantherTalk, GS in the FBS serves to slow our growth. As of now, there's only three FBS programs in the state of Georgia and we'll have a recruiting edge because of that. Another Georgia school only serves to cause more recruits head southbound rather than sticking around in Atlanta. So, it's purely selfish, but that's why I don't want Southern to move up. I wouldn't mind a weekend trip to Savannah with some football in between though. But I can get Savannah without Georgia Southern.

Georgia is fertile enough with recruits that 4 FBS teams could be successful.

North Carolina on the other hand is becoming tougher and tougher to recruit, and Charlotte joining the fray doesn't help matters. The change in recruiting strategy is evidenced by the evolution of the ASU roster from http://www.goasu.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=104461&SPID=12811&DB_OEM_ID=21500&Q_SEASON=2008 08-09 to this upcoming 12-13 season http://www.goasu.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=104461&SPID=12811&DB_OEM_ID=21500&Q_SEASON=2012 as NC kids are replaced by those from GA, FL, and VA

eaglewraith
May 1st, 2012, 07:00 AM
Dont feel bad most all of them are hoping to avoid us. We get the rural market treatment too and we have close to a million people within 50 miles of campus.

You guys are in a tough spot because both Troy and South Alabama hate you.

TheRevSFA
May 1st, 2012, 07:36 AM

La Tech is going CUSA

asumike83
May 1st, 2012, 08:24 AM
La Tech is going CUSA

I think LA Tech and UNCC are headed that way. UNCC may move olympic sports first and wait a few years before playing C-USA football but I'd be surprised if they do not end up there.

Apphole
May 1st, 2012, 08:47 AM
"Other schools that could join the Sun Belt in the coming years include Appalachian State, Georgia Southern and Old Domininon. However, ODU and Charlotte could be headed to Conference USA."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18911274

I've been expecting this exact chain of events for a while now.

TheRevSFA
May 1st, 2012, 09:25 AM
"Other schools that could join the Sun Belt in the coming years include Appalachian State, Georgia Southern and Old Domininon. However, ODU and Charlotte could be headed to Conference USA."

FYI..he gets a lot of his reports off of fanboards....He's not exactly accurate for a source.

MplsBison
May 1st, 2012, 09:45 AM
I don't think the Sun Belt would want another Alabama school. They already have Troy and South Alabama.

That argument seems specious, but is probably correct. In the days of TV, can't have too many programs in the same state! xlolx

Forgot about Jacksonville St too, I'm sure they would also work with Georgia St, but then same argument against.

MplsBison
May 1st, 2012, 09:51 AM
What fans for Idaho? Exactly..they have none.

If NCAA enforced the attendance rule, they'd be back to FCS in a heartbeat. They only averaged 11k

They have some fans, as you said 11k. That's not nothing. If they won more, I'm sure they could easily average 15k.

But what does 15k mean? It's an arbitrary number that means nothing.

You've just pointed out that it's a fake rule. Not enforced.

No one has moved back to FCS from FBS in modern college football. It hasn't happened. It's not going to happen. Temple was indy for a while, so too would Idaho be. Or they would drop the sport altogether and be Gonzaga. Either way, if they can't make money in FBS at Moscow, they sure as heck aren't going to make any in FCS.

TheRevSFA
May 1st, 2012, 09:55 AM
They have some fans, as you said 11k. That's not nothing. If they won more, I'm sure they could easily average 15k.

But what does 15k mean? It's an arbitrary number that means nothing.

You've just pointed out that it's a fake rule. Not enforced.

No one has moved back to FCS from FBS in modern college football. It hasn't happened. It's not going to happen. Temple was indy for a while, so too would Idaho be. Or they would drop the sport altogether and be Gonzaga. Either way, if they can't make money in FBS at Moscow, they sure as heck aren't going to make any in FCS.

FAMU did...

..and they'd save money as opposed to being a FBS independent...Their travel costs for the BSC would be much less than being a FBS indy.

MplsBison
May 1st, 2012, 10:00 AM
FAMU did...

..and they'd save money as opposed to being a FBS independent...Their travel costs for the BSC would be much less than being a FBS indy.

FAMU did not. I said modern. Stop being dishonest.

They'd save money moving to NAIA and playing Montana Tech, Carroll, etc. too. Less scholarships also. Same thing in their fans eyes and it should be seen that way. It's a downgrade. It's tail between your legs.

TheRevSFA
May 1st, 2012, 10:07 AM
FAMU had approval to move up, scheduled as FBS indy, and then their president stopped it and moved them back to FCS.

Their games against Virginia Tech and Illinois counted as D I-A wins that year.

Idaho is stuck without a home, and they won't get invites to MWC.

Tuscon
May 1st, 2012, 11:48 AM
Georgia is fertile enough with recruits that 4 FBS teams could be successful.

North Carolina on the other hand is becoming tougher and tougher to recruit, and Charlotte joining the fray doesn't help matters. The change in recruiting strategy is evidenced by the evolution of the ASU roster from http://www.goasu.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=104461&SPID=12811&DB_OEM_ID=21500&Q_SEASON=2008 08-09 to this upcoming 12-13 season http://www.goasu.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=104461&SPID=12811&DB_OEM_ID=21500&Q_SEASON=2012 as NC kids are replaced by those from GA, FL, and VA

Thinking about it more and more, Georgia Southern might be a nice add for us. For one, what you said is true. Georgia can handle 4 FBS programs no problem. There's enough talent to go around. Secondly, that game would probably draw really well for both of us and become an instant rivalry. A very hateful rivalry from what we get on these message boards and what I've heard of conversations between the administrations. Finally, as I've said over and over, I love Savannah, and an excuse to spend some time out there and see my Panthers play on Saturday would make for a great weekend.

eaglewraith
May 1st, 2012, 12:51 PM
Thinking about it more and more, Georgia Southern might be a nice add for us. For one, what you said is true. Georgia can handle 4 FBS programs no problem. There's enough talent to go around. Secondly, that game would probably draw really well for both of us and become an instant rivalry. A very hateful rivalry from what we get on these message boards and what I've heard of conversations between the administrations. Finally, as I've said over and over, I love Savannah, and an excuse to spend some time out there and see my Panthers play on Saturday would make for a great weekend.

Yay another convert.

Tuscon
May 1st, 2012, 01:18 PM
Yay another convert.

Not really. I'd rather just sit at 10, but Benson already said he wants 12. I'd rather have NMSU, App St., then GS. I hope SBC doesn't throw a lifeline to Idaho or something crazy.

MplsBison
May 1st, 2012, 01:18 PM
FAMU had approval to move up, scheduled as FBS indy, and then their president stopped it and moved them back to FCS.

Their games against Virginia Tech and Illinois counted as D I-A wins that year.

Idaho is stuck without a home, and they won't get invites to MWC.

So in other words, not even close to the same thing as Idaho's situation, but why not throw it out there as a non-sequitor? Sounds about right.

Doesn't matter if they don't get invites to the MWC. They'll either be independent football or they'll drop football. My money is they'll take the BYU route and go it alone for the time being. All the Western FBS schools are still going to need non-conference games.

MplsBison
May 1st, 2012, 01:19 PM
Not really. I'd rather just sit at 10, but Benson already said he wants 12. I'd rather have NMSU, App St., then GS. I hope SBC doesn't throw a lifeline to Idaho or something crazy.

Don't see Idaho in any conference other than the WAC.

Tuscon
May 1st, 2012, 01:21 PM
Don't see Idaho in any conference other than the WAC.

I don't see the WAC surviving this. Two members is not a conference. FCS teams don't even want to touch that sinking ship.

MplsBison
May 1st, 2012, 01:29 PM
I don't see the WAC surviving this. Two members is not a conference. FCS teams don't even want to touch that sinking ship.

I don't either, unless they invite a bunch of teams up from FCS.

Not sure about Texas St and New Mexico St, but I don't think Idaho has anywhere to go but independent.

However, they'll have plenty of teams to schedule. It will just be tough sledding for the AD for the first few years until they can get in with a new Western FBS conference or the MWC. Going to have to find a coach who can win.

Tuscon
May 1st, 2012, 01:35 PM
I don't either, unless they invite a bunch of teams up from FCS.

Not sure about Texas St and New Mexico St, but I don't think Idaho has anywhere to go but independent.

However, they'll have plenty of teams to schedule. It will just be tough sledding for the AD for the first few years until they can get in with a new Western FBS conference or the MWC. Going to have to find a coach who can win.

Texas State to Sun Belt is already getting reported on espn/cbs and the like. NMSU is still only rumored, but they're lookin like Sun Belt too.

TheRevSFA
May 1st, 2012, 02:17 PM
So in other words, not even close to the same thing as Idaho's situation, but why not throw it out there as a non-sequitor? Sounds about right.

Doesn't matter if they don't get invites to the MWC. They'll either be independent football or they'll drop football. My money is they'll take the BYU route and go it alone for the time being. All the Western FBS schools are still going to need non-conference games.

Idaho cannot afford to be independent. BYU can.

Idaho's athletic budget is 14 million dollars, and that's hoping for a 1 million dollar contract from ESPN. 3.7 million of their budget goes to women's athletics.

BYU's budget is 25-30 million

BTW NDSU's is around 15 million (if I'm not mistaken), UNI, Missouri State, William and Mary, and University of Maine have more of an athletic budget than Idaho..

So once again, Idaho cannot afford to be independent. They need a conference.

JSUBison
May 1st, 2012, 02:33 PM
If Idaho has to go Indy, they will be on the road majority of season. Hope the fan base (small as it is) of Idaho doesn't mind only having 3 or 4 home games a year, with 2 probably being FCS. Hey, but at least they're FBS. xrolleyesx

eaglewraith
May 1st, 2012, 02:35 PM
If Idaho has to go Indy, they will be on the road majority of season. Hope the fan base (small as it is) of Idaho doesn't mind only having 3 or 4 home games a year, with 2 probably being FCS. Hey, but at least they're FBS. xrolleyesx

I think FBS mandates 5 home games.

Could be like that attendance requirement though.

Tuscon
May 1st, 2012, 03:06 PM
I think Georgia Southern's chances just went up. http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18923863. LA Tech, Charlotte, ODU.... Sun Belt seems like it's down to just App State, NMSU, and GS.

Apphole
May 1st, 2012, 03:09 PM

I think Georgia Southern's chances just went up. http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18923863. LA Tech, Charlotte, ODU.... Sun Belt seems like it's down to just App State, NMSU, and GS.

Is there an echo in here?

Tuscon
May 1st, 2012, 03:14 PM
Is there an echo in here?

It's a different link.....??

Apphole
May 1st, 2012, 03:20 PM
It's a different link.....??

oops....

GaSouthern
May 1st, 2012, 03:21 PM
I really hope that App and Georgia Southern get the final two spots, it will be so nice to keep playing you guys!

GaSouthern
May 1st, 2012, 03:24 PM
Texas State to Sun Belt is already getting reported on espn/cbs and the like. NMSU is still only rumored, but they're lookin like Sun Belt too.

McMurphy reported earlier that App State and Georgia Southern were the preferred picks ahead of NMSU but he also said something to the effect of "i've seen crazy things happen though"

dgtw
May 1st, 2012, 03:53 PM
Unless New Mexico lobbies big time for little brother, NMSU may be out of luck as well.

clenz
May 1st, 2012, 03:57 PM
Hearing rumors that due to previously being in the MVC NMSU could end up back there...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Apphole
May 1st, 2012, 04:00 PM
What's NMSU?

cbarrier90
May 1st, 2012, 04:02 PM
What's NMSU?

New Mexico State.

Fun fact: One of the few FBS schools that looked at Armanti. Fortunately for us, they wanted him to play corner, and he declined.

Tuscon
May 1st, 2012, 04:04 PM
New Mexico State.

Fun fact: One of the few FBS schools that looked at Armanti. Fortunately for us, they wanted him to play corner, and he declined.

Also they are the FBS team with the longest running Bowl Drought at 51 years.

cbarrier90
May 1st, 2012, 04:06 PM
Also they are the FBS team with the longest running Bowl Drought at 51 years.

Our bowl drought sits at 57 years and we've been in the FCS since 1978. xlolx

GATA_Eagles
May 1st, 2012, 06:53 PM
Just a rumor, but here are some fairly interesting tweets:

Adam Sparks ‏ @AdamSparks
Hearing strong rumors that Ga. Southern will be next to come into Sun Belt. Gotta an educated theory on this based, on talking to some today

I think Sun Belt's Karl Benson is trying for 16 schools -- 8 in east, 8 in west. Add Ga Southern, NM St, Idaho, etc. If so, thats intriguing

https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSparks

MplsBison
May 1st, 2012, 07:34 PM
Hearing rumors that due to previously being in the MVC NMSU could end up back there...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

SIU and Ind St were the only current members to play them for more than a couple seasons. I doubt they're itching to fly out to New Mexico.

MplsBison
May 1st, 2012, 07:36 PM

Hearing strong rumors that Ga. Southern will be next to come into Sun Belt. Gotta an educated theory on this based, on talking to some today

I think Sun Belt's Karl Benson is trying for 16 schools -- 8 in east, 8 in west. Add Ga Southern, NM St, Idaho, etc. If so, thats intriguing

Hmmm...so I wonder if Benson is trying to rescue the last WAC schools in a defacto merger after all? Tough to see Idaho in the Sun Belt, but it would be no different travel wise for them than being indy.

boogereagle
May 1st, 2012, 08:33 PM

Good lord. What the heck is a 'strong rumor?'

Does that resemble a 'weak fact?' Or a 'near miss?' Or 'congressional oversight?' What about 'minor crisis?'

Man. I honestly don't know who's funnier. The cat reporting he's heard 'strong rumors' as if it's some kind of accomplishment ... or the guys spreading his report of having heard 'strong rumors' around to try and prove some point.

ASUMountaineer
May 2nd, 2012, 08:30 AM
McMurphy reported earlier that App State and Georgia Southern were the preferred picks ahead of NMSU but he also said something to the effect of "i've seen crazy things happen though"

Is there a link? I missed that one...

walliver
May 2nd, 2012, 05:38 PM
Adding New Mexico and Idaho greatly increases travel cost for ASU and GSU. It would make more sense to split the Sun Belt into two conferences (Sunny South and Sunny West).

I suspect that all the megaconferences that have been created recently will begin to pull part in 5 or 6 years.

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2012, 06:25 PM
Adding New Mexico and Idaho greatly increases travel cost for ASU and GSU. It would make more sense to split the Sun Belt into two conferences (Sunny South and Sunny West).

I suspect that all the megaconferences that have been created recently will begin to pull part in 5 or 6 years.

If they're going to do that, then they should've just kept the WAC and the NCAA tournament credits they've earned from Nevada and Utah St.

Trajanus
September 22nd, 2012, 07:03 PM
I'm new to this board but not new to Georgia Southern Athletics. I've witnessed GSU at our greatest with my freshman year being last time when we won the national championship in 2000...I was even at the game and and a clipping from George-Anne of myself and a guy in a yellow fleece sitting on the field goal when we were trying to bring it down. The idea of GSU moving up has been very quietly mulled over since that time. How do I know? I hold a degree in Sports Medicine-Athletic Training from GSU and worked side by side our athletes day in and day out for 3 years.

Division 1 football is a disorganized cluster f@#$...For every program such as 'Bama, USC, Florida, Texas, Notre Dame you have 10 Vandy's, San Jose State, Rutgers etc. Could GSU/App/Mont beat Vandy or Rutgers or Army?? I saw yes but due to conference and geographically restrictions this does not happen. Could Div. 1 benefit from a European table style ranking system where the lower few drop down a level and play smaller teams or on the flip side, teams like GSU and Montana move up and get a chance to play against the big boys?

Is GSU chasing $$?? Probably but as an alumnus who sees higher education in many states fighting for more budget allocations, why shouldn't they try to help increase their cash flow? I still live in Bulloch candy, the economic impact of GSU on the surrounding 7 or so counties is massive, let alone the new money that is brought in each and every game day. Are we taking a risk moving from the smaller pond to the biggest? Undoubtedly yes!!!!! But the greater the risk, the greater the reward. I know many people who would glue their eyeballs to the TV if and when GSU is televised. Our fans are rabid...ask the 2000 Hofstra coaching staff who had one of their members escorted out of Paulson Stadium after HE threw a water bottle into the stands because he lost his cool. We will continue to support our team. We will grow, just look at campus in the last ten years!!! I graduated for the second time from GSU with a degree in nursing and I barely recognize campus now.

It is time for GSU to spread our wings in more ways than one and move to FBS. We will not dominate to start with, we may not have winning seasons for a few years but if we continue to improve each season, we will get recruits and we will win.

Hail Southern!!!

Not this one. I knew State would be FBS as soon as they announced the creation of a football program.

I think part of the problem with Division I Football school comparisons is trying to fit 250 schools into only 2 categories when 4-6 categories is more accurate.

Georgia Southern is a relatively "new" school. The school only organized itself into separate colleges in 1968 with a 1971 enrollment of 6,000. By 1981, enrollment was @8,000 when the football program was reborn. In 1990, Georgia Southern College became the first Regional University in the Georgia system. By 2003, 15,000 students enrolled and the school was second only to UGA as the first choice for university admission among new applicants.

In 2006, Georgia Southern was reclassified as a Doctoral/Research University by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. In 2011, Georgia Southern opened a College of Engineering and enrolled 20,000 students.

The key here is growth for the University. No campus in the state, including UGA, can match the beauty and "large-scale/small feel" of Georgia Southern.

We'll be able to "get by" and support an FBS football team until our Alumni base matures and grows over the next 20 years.

http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-1419

Gringer1
September 22nd, 2012, 11:06 PM
I'm not on the pro-FBS side, but this is cool.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10100617411848831

redspider
September 22nd, 2012, 11:10 PM
I'm not on the pro-FBS side, but this is cool.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10100617411848831

That is a cool video I am sad to see Georgia Southern leave but at least they seem far more prepared with the tradition of success they have had in the FCS when compared to Georgia State.

Mr. C
September 22nd, 2012, 11:11 PM
So I know it is early in the Georgia State timeline but this season shows that a school really should be thoughtful before jumping to the FBS. First of all Georgia State is 0-4 this season and have shown they aren't even ready to be a force in the CAA. I think if they had time they could well be and are in a great base to expand their program but still too early. Secondly, is spending 4.4 million dollars more moving to the Sunbelt really more exposure than the CAA??? I mean the CAA is now on national TV with NBC Sports network probably as much exposure as the Sun Belt.

Ready to be a force in the CAA? I will be stunned if Georgia State wins a single CAA game. About the only shot is against Rhode Island, which is struggling with a lack of scholarships the past two years with the ill-fated move and retreat to and then from the NEC. Unfortunately, that game is on the road, where URI plays a lot tougher.

redspider
September 22nd, 2012, 11:15 PM
So I know it is early in the Georgia State timeline but this season shows that a school really should be thoughtful before jumping to the FBS. First of all Georgia State is 0-4 this season and have shown they aren't even ready to be a force in the CAA. I think if they had time they could well be and are in a great base to expand their program but still too early. Secondly, is spending 4.4 million dollars more moving to the Sunbelt really more exposure than the CAA??? I mean the CAA is now on national TV with NBC Sports network probably as much exposure as the Sun Belt.

Ready to be a force in the CAA? I will be stunned if Georgia State wins a single CAA game. About the only shot is against Rhode Island, which is struggling with a lack of scholarships the past two years with the ill-fated move and retreat to and then from the NEC. Unfortunately, that game is on the road, where URI plays a lot tougher.

Agreed I moved the post over to the Georgia State board since I guess it is more relevant there but agree with your statement.

sgt smash
September 22nd, 2012, 11:18 PM

Aren't even ready

Never will be