PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs

NHwildEcat
April 9th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Wednesday night begins the fun of the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs. Here are the first round matchups:

Eastern Conference-
8. Ottawa vs. 1. NY Rangers
Game 1- 4/12 7PM @ NY Rangers (NHL Network)

7. Washington vs. 2. Boston
Game 1- 4/12 7:30PM @ Boston (NBCSN)

6. New Jersey vs. 3. Florida
Game 1- 4/13 7PM @ Florida (NHL Network)

5. Philadelphia vs. 4. Pittsburgh
Game 1- 4/11 7:30PM @ Pittsburgh (NBCSN)

Western Conference-
8. Los Angeles vs. 1. Vancouver
Game 1- 4/11 10:30PM @ Vancouver (NBCSN)

7. San Jose vs. 2. St. Louis
Game 1- 4/12 7:30PM @ St. Louis (CNBC)

6. Chicago vs. 3. Phoenix
Game 1- 4/12 10PM @ Phoenix (NBCSN)

5. Detroit vs. 4. Nashville
Game 1- 4/11 8PM @ Nashville (CNBC)

NHwildEcat
April 9th, 2012, 09:55 AM
My predictions:

Eastern Conference:
1. NY Rangers over Ottawa in 5 games.
2. Boston over Washington in 6 games.
4. Pittsburgh over Philadelphia in 7 games.
6. New Jersey over Florida in 6 games.

1. NY Rangers over New Jersey in 4 games.
4. Pittsburgh over Boston in 7 games.

1. NY Rangers over Pittsburgh in 6 games.

Western Conference:
1. Vancouver over Los Angeles in 5 games.
2. St. Louis over San Jose in 6 games.
5. Detroit over Nashville in 7 games.
6. Chicago over Phoenix in 6 games.

1. Vancouver over Chicago in 6 games.
5. Detroit over St. Louis in 7 games.

1. Vancouver over Detroit in 4 games.

Stanley Cup Finals:

Vancouver over NY Rangers in 6 games.

TTUEagles
April 9th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I think my favorite/hometown team, the Nashville Predators is looking d*mn good right now. I admit I'm not much for picking out a lot of skill on the ice from the players, but, Alexander Radulov is the wild card here, 2-time MVP of the KHL, he's the best puck handler/shooter this team has EVER had. Plus, Nashville has been very good at home, has great goaltending and first line defense. I don't think there's a ton of difference between the top 4-5 in either conference this year. I like Nashville's chances (and like the expectations most have) on getting deep into the playoffs this year.

TheRevSFA
April 9th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Dallas choked away their playoff chances...

NHwildEcat
April 9th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Dallas choked away their playoff chances...

Sounds similar to the local (and my favorite) football team :(

whitey
April 9th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Being a Rangers fans, having a Rangers/Canucks rematch of the 1994 finals would be awesome! Lots of games to be played before we get there though. I'll keep my predictions to the first round for now:

Eastern Conference:
1. NY Rangers over Ottawa in 6 games.
2. Boston over Washington in 7 games.
4. Pittsburgh over Philadelphia in 7 games.
6. New Jersey over Florida in 5 games.

Western Conference:
1. Vancouver over Los Angeles in 5 games.
7. San Jose over St. Louis in 7 games.
5. Detroit over Nashville in 7 games.
6. Chicago over Phoenix in 5 games.

TheValleyRaider
April 9th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Eastern Conference
NYR in 6
Ottawa is no pushover, but the Rangers are too deep

BOS in 5
Caps have been too inconsistent all year

NJD in 7
Tough series to pick, but Florida just scraped their way in

PIT in 7
This probably won't go 7, but I hope it does. What a war this could be

Western Conference
VAN in 5
Canucks ready to roll again, while LA stumbled to the finish

SJ in 6
Upset special! Blues will be good in the future, but SJ salvages their season without the usual pressure

PHX in 7
Giving the fans in Glendale something to cheer about, defense squeaks by offense

NAS in 7

Conference Finals
PIT over NYR
VAN over NAS

Stanley Cup Finals
Vancouver over Pittsburgh

These are tough to pick, which could mean a great playoff year xthumbsupx

Maybe the Isles can make it next year...

TheValleyRaider
April 16th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Stanley Cup Finals
Vancouver over Pittsburgh

Or maybe not at all xeekx

Is it just me, or have these playoffs seemed particularly nasty?

NHwildEcat
April 16th, 2012, 08:47 AM
I am looking for the Bruins to snap out of their funk tonight and take it to the Caps. The first two games have just been too close for where these teams were in the regular season. Washington is using a goalie I have never heard of and the B's are not making him pay...first two lines NEED to step it up tonight if we are to regain control of this series!

NHwildEcat
April 16th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Or maybe not at all xeekx

Is it just me, or have these playoffs seemed particularly nasty?

Well in the Philly/Pitt series they hate each other...hell most people hate Pitt since they are a cowardesque franchise who hides their tails between their legs when push comes to shove. Although, they have shown a lot of fight in their series to this point.

Vancouver is the western version on Pitt except they are not able to win due to their mentally weak make up. The Kings have hit them in the face and as usual the Canucks cannot play like that. They are a figure skating team and that does not cut it in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

whitey
April 16th, 2012, 10:22 AM
I'm trying to put my homerism aside for the moment but can we talk about the complete joke of a suspension system Shanahan is imposing for a second? There is absolutely ZERO consistency not to mention the obvious flaw in that suspension length has been and continues to be waaaay too results oriented.

Hagelin deserved a suspension no doubt for the elbow to Alfredsson who claims he suffered a "concussion" on the play. However, Alfredsson flew home with the team Saturday night after the game and is on the ice right now practicing. If he truly had a concussion he would NOT have flown home Saturday night and he would not be practicing this morning. So, the Senators tell the NHL that Alfredsson suffered a "concussion" and Hagelin winds up with 3 games despite the fact that he clearly did not intend to injure.

Meanwhile Carkner who clearly intended to beat Brian Boyle's face in and actually did beat his face in only gets a one game suspension because Boyle didn't wind up getting hurt. It's UNBELIEVABLE. Shouldn't intent to injure be more important than the results? It makes zero sense!

Don't even get me started on Weber. It'll be interesting to see what the NHL does to the bunch of bitch boys the Penguins have become after yesterday's game. Adams pulling hair (way to fight like a girl), Neal's charge and Asham's crosscheck to the jugular.

NHwildEcat
April 16th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I'm trying to put my homerism aside for the moment but can we talk about the complete joke of a suspension system Shanahan is imposing for a second? There is absolutely ZERO consistency not to mention the obvious flaw in that suspension length has been and continues to be waaaay too results oriented.

Hagelin deserved a suspension no doubt for the elbow to Alfredsson who claims he suffered a "concussion" on the play. However, Alfredsson flew home with the team Saturday night after the game and is on the ice right now practicing. If he truly had a concussion he would NOT have flown home Saturday night and he would not be practicing this morning. So, the Senators tell the NHL that Alfredsson suffered a "concussion" and Hagelin winds up with 3 games despite the fact that he clearly did not intend to injure.

Meanwhile Carkner who clearly intended to beat Brian Boyle's face in and actually did beat his face in only gets a one game suspension because Boyle didn't wind up getting hurt. It's UNBELIEVABLE. Shouldn't intent to injure be more important than the results? It makes zero sense!

Don't even get me started on Weber. It'll be interesting to see what the NHL does to the bunch of bitch boys the Penguins have become after yesterday's game. Adams pulling hair (way to fight like a girl), Neal's charge and Asham's crosscheck to the jugular.

Most likely nothing...the NHL favors the Penguins. Thats why no one can say a negative word about them without a fine...

whitey
April 16th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Most likely nothing...the NHL favors the Penguins. Thats why no one can say a negative word about them without a fine...

LOL. According to the official record Torts was fined because he cursed "multiple" times when making remarks about the Penguins not because of the remarks themselves. Of course if you listen to the clip he only cursed once: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU7ImcOYqOk

Maybe the NHL considers the word, "whine", to be a curse word?

NHwildEcat
April 16th, 2012, 12:15 PM
LOL. According to the official record Torts was fined because he cursed "multiple" times when making remarks about the Penguins not because of the remarks themselves. Of course if you listen to the clip he only cursed once: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU7ImcOYqOk

Maybe the NHL considers the word, "whine", to be a curse word?

It's definetly on the "do not cross this verbal line" list. It is the same thing all the time with Pittsburgh. If it happens to them it is brutal and suspensions must be dealt out, but if it is them causing the issue, then the league must let it go and turn the other cheak-how dare the NHL suggest that the Pittsburgh Penguins would commit such acts. Tired of their behavior...if they played like men, maybe Marc Savard would still have a career.

whitey
April 16th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Yep.

So apparently Neal actually has two disciplinary hearings scheduled tomorrow. Have to think he is going to get at least one game. Asham is actually scheduled for an in person hearing tomorrow. So he might actually get 5+ games for his idiotic crosscheck. No word on Adams and his sissy boy hair pull. I'm getting my popcorn ready!

BisonFan02
April 16th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Yep.

So apparently Neal actually has two disciplinary hearings scheduled tomorrow. Have to think he is going to get at least one game. Asham is actually scheduled for an in person hearing tomorrow. So he might actually get 5+ games for his idiotic crosscheck. No word on Adams and his sissy boy hair pull. I'm getting my popcorn ready!

Ditto...Go Flyers!

bluehenbillk
April 16th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Yep.

Correct, Neal & Asham have hearings scheduled. Adams is already suspended per NHL rules for Game 4 - getting an instigator penalty in the last 5 minutes of a game is an automatic one-game suspension, he won't get any more than that.

TheValleyRaider
April 16th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Vancouver is the western version on Pitt except they are not able to win due to their mentally weak make up. The Kings have hit them in the face and as usual the Canucks cannot play like that. They are a figure skating team and that does not cut it in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

I don't really buy it. Pittsburgh won the Cup 2 years ago, and Vancouver was 1 win away last year. Those aren't soft teams.

I agree they are being thrown off their game (and badly) this year, but I think Flyer special teams (6-10 on the PP, 9 of 12 on the PK with 3 SH goals) and Jonathan Quick (1.33/.965 xeekx) have been the difference-makers

I've generally supported Shanahan all year, but he royally whiffed on the no-suspension for Weber. 3 games is a lot for Hagelin, but he certainly came up high on Alfredsson (which is even more impressive given the height difference). Carkner certainly deserves time, but Boyle certainly earned something for chipping at Karlsson behind the play in Game 1. No angels in that series

As for the Pens, I wonder if Mario is still "re-thinking" his association with the league (http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2011/2/13/1991647/mario-lemieux-statement-pittsburgh-penguins-new-york-islanders-nhl)... xrolleyesx

NHwildEcat
April 16th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I don't really buy it. Pittsburgh won the Cup 2 years ago, and Vancouver was 1 win away last year. Those aren't soft teams.

I agree they are being thrown off their game (and badly) this year, but I think Flyer special teams (6-10 on the PP, 9 of 12 on the PK with 3 SH goals) and Jonathan Quick (1.33/.965 xeekx) have been the difference-makers

I've generally supported Shanahan all year, but he royally whiffed on the no-suspension for Weber. 3 games is a lot for Hagelin, but he certainly came up high on Alfredsson (which is even more impressive given the height difference). Carkner certainly deserves time, but Boyle certainly earned something for chipping at Karlsson behind the play in Game 1. No angels in that series

As for the Pens, I wonder if Mario is still "re-thinking" his association with the league (http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2011/2/13/1991647/mario-lemieux-statement-pittsburgh-penguins-new-york-islanders-nhl)... xrolleyesx

Mario is a tool!

That was a couple years ago for the Pens though, and over seasons teams change. Pittsburgh I am less concerned with as far as how they play the game. I know they give them preferences because Crsoby is on the team, and I don't even care. A true team effort will beat a SuperStar anytime in this game.

The Canucks though made it to the Cup last year based on pure talent, which they still certainly have. They are just not a mentally strong team, if you hit them over and over again they will let loose like the levy's in New Orleans. They cannot stick up for themselves and will be on minute instigating a situation and the next crying to the referees that they were shoved by the opposition. They do not play hockey like it is supposed to be played and I hate them because of that. But they are an extremely talented team...but I don't even see the Sedins winning a Cup. Not while checking is legal.

HailSzczur
April 16th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Wednesday's Flyers Pens game could get really interesting if the Flyers jump ahead again. We saw a pretty frustrated and desperate Pittsburgh team yesterday just trying piss the flyers off more than anything towards the end of the game. I'd look for a lot more cheap shots if Game 4 starts getting out of hand

whitey
April 16th, 2012, 02:39 PM

Ottawa was well within their rights to try to work Boyle up after he picked up Karlsson a bit. But Boyle is a game fighter not an enforcer. Sending your enforcer in to sucker punch him in response is bush league.

TTUEagles
April 17th, 2012, 09:29 PM
All right, for those calling for Weber's suspension after Game 1 (that was handled, on ice the next game and they moved on...not that I disagree he should have sat a game) Zetterberg better get fined (at least) for the slash across Weber's face tonight (and the spear against Legwand in Game 3!). Despite having a goal taken away from them tonight for no good reason, Nashville gets in done tonight! GO PREDS!!!!

bluehenbillk
April 18th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Pittsburgh is 3 players light tonight - Adams got a automatic 1 game suspension, Neal got 1 game for head hunting on Giroux & Asham is done for the series, 4 games for the cheap shots on Schenn.

whitey
April 18th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Pittsburgh is 3 players light tonight - Adams got a automatic 1 game suspension, Neal got 1 game for head hunting on Giroux & Asham is done for the series, 4 games for the cheap shots on Schenn.

Penguins are so off their game right now they'd still lose by 3 or 4 even with them. They can't possibly start Fleury tonight can they?

Rangers look to take a commanding 3-1 series lead in Ottawa tonight.

Kings go for the sweep of the #1 seed Canucks.

Repeat offender Raffi Torres will likely have a hearing today for his hit on Hossa last night. I can't believe that he wasn't even penalized for that. It was definitely a charge and he definitely left his feet to hit him high. Shanahan has been bad for the inconsistencies with the punishments he's been doling out but the officiating has been even worse during the playoffs this year.

Ivytalk
April 18th, 2012, 09:28 AM
All right, for those calling for Weber's suspension after Game 1 (that was handled, on ice the next game and they moved on...not that I disagree he should have sat a game) Zetterberg better get fined (at least) for the slash across Weber's face tonight (and the spear against Legwand in Game 3!). Despite having a goal taken away from them tonight for no good reason, Nashville gets in done tonight! GO PREDS!!!!

Rinne is an absolute beast this year.

NHwildEcat
April 18th, 2012, 09:55 AM
I am hoping for a couple sweeps tonight and a big win by the Sens...gotta push the Rangers more fellas!

TheRevSFA
April 18th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Penguins are so off their game right now they'd still lose by 3 or 4 even with them. They can't possibly start Fleury tonight can they?

Rangers look to take a commanding 3-1 series lead in Ottawa tonight.

Kings go for the sweep of the #1 seed Canucks.

Repeat offender Raffi Torres will likely have a hearing today for his hit on Hossa last night. I can't believe that he wasn't even penalized for that. It was definitely a charge and he definitely left his feet to hit him high. Shanahan has been bad for the inconsistencies with the punishments he's been doling out but the officiating has been even worse during the playoffs this year.

The Phoenix Coyote radio network announcers.."That hit on Hossa was one of the cleanest you will see in the game" No joke.

whitey
April 18th, 2012, 10:58 AM
The Phoenix Coyote radio network announcers.."That hit on Hossa was one of the cleanest you will see in the game" No joke.

Are you kidding? Their radio announcers should be suspended too then. I understand homerism but that's ridiculous.

bluehenbillk
April 18th, 2012, 11:42 AM
It wasn't a clean hit, Torres clearly left his feet which caused the hit to be higher. From an unbiased point of view, he had Hossa dead to rights, Hossa was skating with his head down and it would've been good if Torres would've just dropped him with a hit to the chest/shoulder versus jumping & getting the jaw.

TTUEagles
April 18th, 2012, 02:56 PM
From espn.com: "Former NHL player and current Phoenix Coyotes broadcaster Tyson Nash says he's received death threats after saying a questionable hit by Coyotes forward Raffi Torres on Chicago Blackhawks winger Marian Hossa was 'as clean of a hit as you're going to get.' "
Tyson Nash said this? Now, I'm not surprised...

TheValleyRaider
April 18th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Are you kidding? Their radio announcers should be suspended too then. I understand homerism but that's ridiculous.

Always hard to suspend media like that. Otherwise, there would be no one to call Pens games...

Ivytalk
April 18th, 2012, 07:21 PM
From espn.com: "Former NHL player and current Phoenix Coyotes broadcaster Tyson Nash says he's received death threats after saying a questionable hit by Coyotes forward Raffi Torres on Chicago Blackhawks winger Marian Hossa was 'as clean of a hit as you're going to get.' "
Tyson Nash said this? Now, I'm not surprised...

Arizonans don't get ice hockey. Frickin' cowboys.

whitey
April 19th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Always hard to suspend media like that. Otherwise, there would be no one to call Pens games...

Ha. I was joking but yeah the Pens announcers are awful.

NHwildEcat
April 19th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Ha. I was joking but yeah the Pens announcers are awful.

Anything relating to the Pens is horrible. The whole organization is a joke.

TTUEagles
April 20th, 2012, 09:42 PM
GO PREDATORS!!!!!!!

TheValleyRaider
April 21st, 2012, 11:57 AM
Preds through, first team to advance. Pens survive again, that Game 6 is now very interesting

Shanahan drops the hammer on Raffi Torres, 25 games xeekx

NHwildEcat
April 21st, 2012, 12:39 PM
Preds through, first team to advance. Pens survive again, that Game 6 is now very interesting

Shanahan drops the hammer on Raffi Torres, 25 games xeekx

I just heard the suspension on the radio. Looks like Shanahan made his point.

TheValleyRaider
April 21st, 2012, 03:19 PM
I just heard the suspension on the radio. Looks like Shanahan made his point.

Hopefully. Hard to feel bad for Torres here, but I think he's catching the brunt of all the inconsistencies and trouble that came before him. Not that he didn't deserve a suspension (and a lengthy one given his history), but 25 games is a long time

NHwildEcat
April 21st, 2012, 04:08 PM
Hopefully. Hard to feel bad for Torres here, but I think he's catching the brunt of all the inconsistencies and trouble that came before him. Not that he didn't deserve a suspension (and a lengthy one given his history), but 25 games is a long time

He is no different than Matt Cooke and he received a big suspension last year for one "small" incident. So I think it is good to keep those guys who cross that line time after time on their toes. Which means Lucic & Marchand of the Bruins need to take notice.

NHwildEcat
April 21st, 2012, 04:10 PM
Bruins showing a little life, finally. Shawn Thorton gets physical and the team lifts its level of play. Need to win this damn game! Holtby is a damn rookie...kid has got to crack sooner or later, right? He isn't Patrick Roy...or is he?

whitey
April 21st, 2012, 04:45 PM
Torres' 25 games was probably 50% his RAP sheet, 25% the actual infraction and 25% the NHL making a point.

NHwildEcat
April 21st, 2012, 04:56 PM
Embarrassing. Got to win 2 in a row against a team that usually chokes away their season...

TheValleyRaider
April 27th, 2012, 08:37 PM
NYR in 6 xnodx (*expletive* Rangers...)

BOS in 5 xoopsx

NJD in 7 xthumbsupx

PIT in 7 xdohx

VAN in 5 xeekx xdohx

SJ in 6 xoopsx

PHX in 7 xnodx

NAS in 7 xnodx

Interesting 1st round, especially in the West. 8 teams left, and none of the 4 Western teams has won the Cup before

1. NY Rangers vs. 7. Washington
NYR in 6
Rooting for the Caps, but either Holtby continues to play well, a game that favors NY, or he doesn't, which also favors the Blueshirts

5. Philadelphia vs. 6. New Jersey
PHI in 6
Flyers played well, though not always defensively, while NJ was inconsistent against a lesser team than Philly

2. St. Louis vs. 8. Los Angeles
STL in 7
Soccer scores for everyone!

3. Phoenix vs. 4. Nashville
NAS in 5
Preds can play the game to keep up (if that's the word for it) with the Yotes, and have the better goalie

NHwildEcat
May 11th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Ok...I have finally dropped my attitude following the unexpected and premature ending to the Bruins season...

I want the Rangers to knock off Ovi and the Caps tomorrow night. I am pushing for a Rangers/Kings Cup Finals...Kings AHL affiliate is located right in good ol Manchester, NH so a lot of those guys have been around the area and it would be nice if they could win it all!

GO KINGS!

Grizalltheway
May 11th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Ok...I have finally dropped my attitude following the unexpected and premature ending to the Bruins season...

I want the Rangers to knock off Ovi and the Caps tomorrow night. I am pushing for a Rangers/Kings Cup Finals...Kings AHL affiliate is locatedight in good ol Manchester, NH so a lot of those guys have been around the area and it would be nice if they could win it all!

GO KINGS!

Wasn't unexpected for all of us.xcoolx

dbackjon
May 11th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Go Coyotes!!!

alvinkayak6
May 11th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Cowboys vs. Aliens.................Or Predators vs Rangers