PDA

View Full Version : ASU adds more coaches

appstate38
February 17th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Apps have added a couple more coaches to the staff. Seem to be some guys that are younger but hopefully will bring some fresh passion to get the Apps back to were we want to be.

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=205381223xthumbsupx

asumike83
February 17th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Although Ledford is inexperienced from a coaching standpoint, I like the idea of having a guy with seven years of OL experience playing in the NFL coaching our linemen. Something tells me he knows his way around a zone blocking scheme much better than McClain!

WH49er
February 17th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Both guys sound like solid additions and will hopefully help get you guys back on the right track.

The Moody1
February 17th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Both guys sound like solid additions and will hopefully help get you guys back on the right track.

Since when has App been on the wrong track? Like every program, App has ups and downs, but acting like they have lost their mojo is lame.

AppAlum2003
February 17th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Eh, I didn't take it that way, Moody. A first/second round playoff blowout loss has hurt the last few years. I appreciate the sentiment from a niner.

ASUMountaineer
February 17th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Eh, I didn't take it that way, Moody. A first/second round playoff blowout loss has hurt the last few years. I appreciate the sentiment from a niner.

Agreed.

boonedocks
February 17th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Agreed.

Seconded.

WH49er
February 17th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Since when has App been on the wrong track? Like every program, App has ups and downs, but acting like they have lost their mojo is lame.

I agree every program has their trials and tribulations but when you win 3 championships in a row the expectations will always be high. Deep playoff runs are a bare minimum for you guys.

Last year App fell a long way from expectations and I'm willing to bet 99% of your fans will agree.

49er basketball is also a great example of a program going through hard times and the fanbase still with expectations. From the '94-'95 season to the '04-'05 season we missed 3 tournaments ('96,'00, and '03). We were complacent and now the cries are louder than ever.

My point was it's good to see App make adjustments before it started spiraling. The first rule to getting yourself out of a hole is to stop digging xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
February 17th, 2012, 01:04 PM
"young" is a bit of an understatement. Suprising to see a program like App bring in two guys which appear to have one year of college coaching experience between them. Do wish them luck, however.

chattownmocs
February 17th, 2012, 02:59 PM
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/tumblr_lqd60wf8se1qg50fao1_500.gif?w=480&h=228

Skjellyfetti
February 17th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Suprising to see a program like App bring in two guys which appear to have one year of college coaching experience between them. Do wish them luck, however.

Not surprising if you've been following Appalachian to any degree.

We've hired a lot of young, inexperienced guys for position coaches that have turned out to be damn fine coaches (which is one reason we've had a lot of turnover in our coaching ranks).

I mean, we hired Lance Taylor... who had 0 years experience coaching football... and now he's been with the Jets for 3 seasons.

We hired some guy named Scott Satterfield with 0 years coaching experience to coach our wide receivers in 1998. Turned out to be a pretty good coach... turned out offense into one of the most exciting in all of college football.

We hired some dude named Shawn Elliott with 0 years coaching experience in 1997. He's now the running game coordinator / offensive line coach at South Carolina.

List goes on and on and on.

So, not sure why it's surprising. xlolx

AppChicago
February 17th, 2012, 05:06 PM
We hired some dude named Shawn Elliott with 0 years coaching experience in 1997. He's now the running game coordinator / offensive line coach at South Carolina.

And word is Florida tried to hire him away, but Elliott stayed put. He's got pretty deep ties to the Gamecocks.

asumike83
February 17th, 2012, 05:19 PM
And word is Florida tried to hire him away, but Elliott stayed put. He's got pretty deep ties to the Gamecocks.

They definitely did. Man turned down a $100K raise to stay put, I'd say that's a pretty serious commitment.

appstate38
February 17th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I am wondering how much input (if any) Satterfield had in those hires????

StorminASU
February 17th, 2012, 10:05 PM
I am wondering how much input (if any) Satterfield had in those hires????

I'm going out on a limb here, but a lot

T-Dog
February 21st, 2012, 02:02 PM
New outside linebacker's coach and special teams coordinator(!!!), alum Mark Ivey from Barron Collier HS in Naples, FL

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2012/feb/21/barron-collier-football-coach-ivey-resigns/

So to update. Out of this staff, only Jones, Blalock, Sloan and Hamilton are returning coaches. Young was a grad assistant last year.

Scott Satterfield - Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
Dale Jones - Defensive Coordinator/Outside Linebackers
Jason Blalock - Defensive Line
Scot Sloan - Defensive Backs/Recruiting Coordinator
Nic Cardwell - Tight Ends
Justin Stepp - Running Backs
Mark Ivey - Inside Linebackers/Special Teams Coordinator
Dwayne Ledford - Offensive Line
Bryan Brown - Assistant Coach, Defense
John Mark Hamilton - Defensive Assistant
Kareem Young - Strength & Conditioning

eaglewraith
February 21st, 2012, 02:13 PM
How much time will he be devoting to ST though is the question.

I'd wait to see the results of what happens with that group before I get all exclamation pointy over someone getting a "/" title.

No offense or anything....I'd be wary of the same thing on our team.

StorminASU
February 21st, 2012, 02:23 PM
How much time will he be devoting to ST though is the question.

I'd wait to see the results of what happens with that group before I get all exclamation pointy over someone getting a "/" title.

No offense or anything....I'd be wary of the same thing on our team.

I believe everyone is happy just because no one has even had the title before and I'm pretty sure Coach Moore didn't think highly of spending too much time on special teamsl: if that's true, it would explain the long drought of kick/punt returns we've missed and generally underwhelming special teams play. I'm just excited bc he seems like a very passionate, enthusiastic coach. I'm excited to see this staff gel together.

mountaineer in Cane Land
February 21st, 2012, 03:20 PM
could be wrong, but I thought Stepp had moved over to coach WRs

ASU_Fanatic
February 21st, 2012, 03:29 PM
I said Shawn Elliot would be a head coach one day a while back when he was still at ASU

Mr. C
February 21st, 2012, 04:27 PM
I believe everyone is happy just because no one has even had the title before and I'm pretty sure Coach Moore didn't think highly of spending too much time on special teamsl: if that's true, it would explain the long drought of kick/punt returns we've missed and generally underwhelming special teams play. I'm just excited bc he seems like a very passionate, enthusiastic coach. I'm excited to see this staff gel together.
Jerry Moore was the special teams coach for most of his years at Appalachian State. He still loves working with special teams. The downturn in special teams performance can be traced to when Moore turned things over to another coach on his staff.

Mr. C
February 21st, 2012, 04:30 PM
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/tumblr_lqd60wf8se1qg50fao1_500.gif?w=480&h=228

Did we really need to see a video of Chattownmocs? Yuk.

Mr. C
February 21st, 2012, 04:35 PM
Although Ledford is inexperienced from a coaching standpoint, I like the idea of having a guy with seven years of OL experience playing in the NFL coaching our linemen. Something tells me he knows his way around a zone blocking scheme much better than McClain!

McClain didn't have any problems with the Xs and Os. He actually was more proficient on that side than Shawn Elliott, who came in with a defensive line background. There were other problems that led to McClain leaving. Football IQ wasn't one of them. Ask Daniel Kilgore, now with the San Francisco 49ers, how much he learned in his one year with McClain, compared with all of his previous years with Elliott? That being said, Ledford's NFL experience should help him in much the same way that Stacy Searels' NFL experience made him the best offensive line coach that ASU has ever had.

AshevilleApp2
February 22nd, 2012, 04:14 PM
Seconded.

Yup

ThompsonThe
February 25th, 2012, 04:35 AM
McClain didn't have any problems with the Xs and Os. He actually was more proficient on that side than Shawn Elliott, who came in with a defensive line background. There were other problems that led to McClain leaving. Football IQ wasn't one of them. Ask Daniel Kilgore, now with the San Francisco 49ers, how much he learned in his one year with McClain, compared with all of his previous years with Elliott? That being said, Ledford's NFL experience should help him in much the same way that Stacy Searels' NFL experience made him the best offensive line coach that ASU has ever had.
Is Searles still at what Georgia?