PDA

View Full Version : CCU to CAA or SoCon?

WH49er
February 16th, 2012, 12:57 PM
http://www.myhorrynews.com/v2/content.aspx?ID=44530&MemberID=2156&GUID=7a152f96-c62f-44ec-9f26-542264e7a04a

Interesting.

GlassOnion
February 16th, 2012, 01:04 PM
http://www.myhorrynews.com/v2/content.aspx?ID=44530&MemberID=2156&GUID=7a152f96-c62f-44ec-9f26-542264e7a04a

Interesting.

I dont think the CAA wants them.

eagle07
February 16th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Could be good move by southern to allow them membership with the inevitable App State move in the not so far future and GSU wouldn't be too far behind, i wouldn't think the CAA will be adding until someone leaves, but I'm not real up to date with the CAA

asumike83
February 16th, 2012, 01:07 PM
They have a decent hoops program. The SoCon could use all the help we can get in that department.

eagle07
February 16th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Didn't they fire the "we need more dogs" coach?

asumike83
February 16th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Didn't they fire the "we need more dogs" coach?

Yes. A HUGE hit to their entertainment value, for sure.

eagle07
February 16th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Yes. A HUGE hit to their entertainment value, for sure.

Exactly what I was going to say Mike, he gave them more publicity than they have got in probably 20 years LOL

hebmskebm
February 16th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Wow. When an AD openly touts going to another conference in the future, there's really no going back.

asumike83
February 16th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Exactly what I was going to say Mike, he gave them more publicity than they have got in probably 20 years LOL

Seems like a very appropriate time for this classic auto-tune remix!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luUmpQqg71E&feature=related

eagle07
February 16th, 2012, 01:26 PM
While your watching it, you're wondering "what is this video missing?" THEN BAM, DANCING CAT!!!! its genius really...

blueballs
February 16th, 2012, 02:05 PM
CCU plays some good baseball too.

They'd make a good addition to the SoCon from a sports standpoint but would the small private schools- which are a majority of the SoCon membership- go for them? I kinda' doubt it.

kdinva
February 16th, 2012, 02:23 PM

They'd make a good addition to the SoCon from a sports standpoint but would the small private schools- which are a majority of the SoCon membership- go for them? I kinda' doubt it.

I'd bet that ElCid & Wofford would vote "no".......

ursus arctos horribilis
February 16th, 2012, 03:09 PM

it might be one of the greatest things ever done.

The fact that it is not another Hitler video alone makes it have high marks.

On the CCU thing, that is a very interesting way of going about things.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 16th, 2012, 03:13 PM
On the CCU thing, that is a very interesting way of going about things.

Kind of like going into a Texas Hold'em tournament and announcing, "I've got a pair of 6's!" xlolx

PaladinFan
February 16th, 2012, 03:14 PM

Do we really have to go through this again? There are seven public colleges in the SoCon. They are: (1) App State, (2) Georgia Southern, (3) College of Charleston, (4) UNC-G, (5) Western Carolina, (6) The Citadel, and (7) UTC.

There are five private colleges. They are: (1) Davidson, (2) Furman, (3) Wofford, (4) Elon, and (5) Samford.

I swear I'm going to pull what's left of my hair out if one more person says the SoCon is a majority of private schools.

eagle07
February 16th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Do we really have to go through this again? There are seven public colleges in the SoCon. They are: (1) App State, (2) Georgia Southern, (3) College of Charleston, (4) UNC-G, (5) Western Carolina, (6) The Citadel, and (7) UTC.

There are five private colleges. They are: (1) Davidson, (2) Furman, (3) Wofford, (4) Elon, and (5) Samford.

I swear I'm going to pull what's left of my hair out if one more person says the SoCon is a majority of private schools.

Preach it!

http://dudespaper.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/evangelist.jpg

lol

Webzy
February 16th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I think Big South will end up just a basketball conference. Liberty and CCU will be gone soon and I could see VMI joining the PL, and Stony Brook w/ the CAA. I don't know what happens to GWU and Presby.

I really don't what KK plans are but he dropped the ball for not bringing in football schools.

blueballs
February 16th, 2012, 03:53 PM

My bad Paladinfan!!! I was under the impression that El Cid and COC were private. Thanks for the edumication!

GaSouthern
February 16th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I think the CAA makes more sense.

With that said, i'd be happy to see us take CCU and Liberty as a combo package, but that is simply from a short term wants perspective.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 16th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I think the CAA makes more sense.

With that said, i'd be happy to see us take CCU and Liberty as a combo package, but that is simply from a short term wants perspective.
Liberty will be looking for a MAC or SB invite once the CUSA/MWC merger thing shakes out.

PaladinFan
February 16th, 2012, 04:48 PM
My bad Paladinfan!!! I was under the impression that El Cid and COC were private. Thanks for the edumication!

Probably came off a bit harsher than intended. I can understand where you got confused about the Citadel and CofC, because they are snobbish and holier-than-thou. However, that is not because they are private schools, but because they are from Charleston.

I bring this up only because it is shocking how many times the "private school SoCon majority" is mentioned.

fc97
February 16th, 2012, 06:30 PM
this has come up

furman wofford citadel dont want

elon app gsu western chattanooga want

before samford was in

basketball schools will not black for a football decision

MTfan4life
February 16th, 2012, 07:00 PM
They have a decent hoops program. The SoCon could use all the help we can get in that department.

I'd say the SoCon usually puts forth a pretty strong team to the tournament. They're definitely not one of the lower mid-majors at least in my opinion.

BlueHenSinfonian
February 16th, 2012, 07:08 PM
I don't see CCU fitting the CAA mold. The schools in the CAA for the most part are either flagship universities of smaller states (Delaware, UNH, Maine),medium to large urban universities (VCU, Northeastern, Hofstra, Georgia State, Drexel, and sort of Towson and George Mason), or medium to large non-flagship public universities from larger states that are still well respected academically (W&M, JMU, and ODU).

Richmond and Villanova are both on the small side, and are just associate members (like UNH and Maine) but bring enough to the table with academic reputation to make sense. CCU was a junior college until 1975.

If the CAA takes anyone from the Big South Stony Brook looks like the best candidate, plus it would help keep UNH and Maine happy by adding a closer campus to travel to. It would make a lot of sense for Richmond to join as a full CAA member as CAA basketball is at this point pretty close to the A-10 in terms of OOC and tournament success.

danefan
February 16th, 2012, 07:25 PM
I don't see CCU fitting the CAA mold. The schools in the CAA for the most part are either flagship universities of smaller states (Delaware, UNH, Maine),medium to large urban universities (VCU, Northeastern, Hofstra, Georgia State, Drexel, and sort of Towson and George Mason), or medium to large non-flagship public universities from larger states that are still well respected academically (W&M, JMU, and ODU).

Richmond and Villanova are both on the small side, and are just associate members (like UNH and Maine) but bring enough to the table with academic reputation to make sense. CCU was a junior college until 1975.

If the CAA takes anyone from the Big South Stony Brook looks like the best candidate, plus it would help keep UNH and Maine happy by adding a closer campus to travel to. It would make a lot of sense for Richmond to join as a full CAA member as CAA basketball is at this point pretty close to the A-10 in terms of OOC and tournament success.

I agree. Albany and Stony Brook seem like better fits then CCU.

Curious timing......

UAlbany football coach Bob Ford said he could foresee the Great Danes moving into a full-scholarship FCS league such as the Colonial Athletic Association, or even the America East, should that conference decide to sponsor football.

“Yeah, possibly,” he said. “I think the America East, there’s been talk about that conference adding football. I’m not sure if it’ll happen or when it’ll happen. But I think that’s where this institution belongs, with the (full-scholarship) Delawares and the UMasses, and the New Hampshires and the Maines. That’s where we belong.”

http://blog.timesunion.com/sports/ualbany-football-facility-could-lead-to-bigger-things/175/#more-175

Coach Ford doesn't posture either. Things are moving somewhere.....just a question of where.

JSUBison
February 16th, 2012, 07:38 PM
I think Big South will end up just a basketball conference. Liberty and CCU will be gone soon and I could see VMI joining the PL, and Stony Brook w/ the CAA. I don't know what happens to GWU and Presby.

I really don't what KK plans are but he dropped the ball for not bringing in football schools.

Isn't Kennesaw State moving up or thinking about moving up? What conference are they going to?

dgreco
February 16th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Mark Singelais needs to learn how to pluralize words... UMasses =/

WH49er
February 16th, 2012, 08:18 PM
I'd say the SoCon usually puts forth a pretty strong team to the tournament. They're definitely not one of the lower mid-majors at least in my opinion.

Really? http://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2012/conferencerpi

Realtime RPI won't pull up but the SoCon has about the same ranking on there. Davidson is always threat but as far as ranking non-BCS conferences they are pretty far down there.

Davidson lost to us by plus 20+ this year and I doubt we even make the NIT.

BlueHenSinfonian
February 16th, 2012, 08:50 PM
I agree. Albany and Stony Brook seem like better fits then CCU.

Curious timing......

http://blog.timesunion.com/sports/ualbany-football-facility-could-lead-to-bigger-things/175/#more-175

Coach Ford doesn't posture either. Things are moving somewhere.....just a question of where.

A-East football seems like a longshot unless they raid the NEC.

In a perfect world I'd like to see the CAA add enough teams to split into North/South divisions again and get rid of some of the non-football schools. Something like:

CAA North:
UNH (joins CAA in all sports)
Maine (joins CAA in all sports)
Stony Brook (all sports)
Albany (all sports)
Delaware (all sports)
Villanova (football only)

CAA South:
Richmond (joins CAA in all sports)
Towson (all sports)
W&M (all sports)
ODU (all sports)
JMU (all sports)
GA State (all sports)

Northeastern and Hofstra go somewhere else (maybe America East)

VCU, GMU, Drexel and UNC-Wilmington stay as non-football members.

That would give a strong football and basketball league, plus scheduling that allows for 5 games in regional divisions each year and playing each of the teams in the alternating division every other year (play 3 one year, three the next). That way Maine is only traveling to Atlanta once every four years, and vice versa. It will also allow 3 OOC games per team for each of the 11 game seasons.

Apphole
February 16th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Really? http://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2012/conferencerpi

Realtime RPI won't pull up but the SoCon has about the same ranking on there. Davidson is always threat but as far as ranking non-BCS conferences they are pretty far down there.

Davidson lost to us by plus 20+ this year and I doubt we even make the NIT.

You Cee fans always assume Davidson is the best team in the SoCon every year. Look at C of C. Davidson has never been the same after Curry left.

WH49er
February 16th, 2012, 09:08 PM
You Cee fans always assume Davidson is the best team in the SoCon every year. Look at C of C. Davidson has never been the same after Curry left.

Davidson is the team in the Southern Conference. They make the tournament runs and they win the big games. It's like Xavier and Temple in the A-10.

You should know better because the only time you guys stop watching the Tarheels and care about Tweetsie U basketball is when Davidson comes to town.

UAalum72
February 16th, 2012, 09:11 PM
A-East football seems like a longshot unless they raid the NEC.

In a perfect world I'd like to see the CAA add enough teams to split into North/South divisions again and get rid of some of the non-football schools. Something like:

CAA North:
UNH (joins CAA in all sports)
Maine (joins CAA in all sports)
Stony Brook (all sports)
Albany (all sports)
Delaware (all sports)
Villanova (football only)

CAA South:
Richmond (joins CAA in all sports)
Towson (all sports)
W&M (all sports)
ODU (all sports)
JMU (all sports)
GA State (all sports)

Northeastern and Hofstra go somewhere else (maybe America East)
I can see a certain Northeastern fan jumping into the Charles River if NU went back to America East.

BlueHenSinfonian
February 16th, 2012, 09:27 PM
I can see a certain Northeastern fan jumping into the Charles River if NU went back to America East.

Getting kicked back down would serve Northeastern right after they let Aoun kill off their football program and influenced Hofstra to do the same.

asumike83
February 16th, 2012, 09:40 PM
this has come up

furman wofford citadel dont want

elon app gsu western chattanooga want

before samford was in

basketball schools will not black for a football decision

?

cbarrier90
February 16th, 2012, 10:00 PM

C of C has been the "consistently best" team in Curry's absence, but Davidson's post Elite 8 recruiting class is in their senior year and finally playing up to expectations, making them the best for this season. Meanwhile, Bobby Cremins is battling health issues and not on the bench for C of C.

If the Davidson-UNCC game were played today, I believe the result would be vastly different. Same with the Davidson-UNCC game if it were played at the end of 08.

And please, the elementary "You're a Tar Heel basketball fan!" and "Tweetsie" smack has run its course. You guys can do better than that...

Apphole
February 16th, 2012, 10:15 PM
I challenge anyone to dawn a Tar Hole shirt and walk through the ASU student tailgate. Prepare to be pelted with beers.

henfan
February 16th, 2012, 10:34 PM
If the CAA takes anyone from the Big South Stony Brook looks like the best candidate, plus it would help keep UNH and Maine happy by adding a closer campus to travel to.

Stony Brook is 500 miles (8.5 hrs) from Orono, ME and over 300 miles to Durham (almost 6 hrs.) It's not a convenient drive to any current CAA FB school.

I'm not sure why anyone would think the CAA and, by extension, CAA FB, have burning desires to expand. Odds are very much against the FB league expanding with non-CAA members. Again, the only way into CAA FB in the foreseeable future is through CAA membership (see UNCC.)

If the right combination of two schools came along to raise the competitive level of CAA Olympic sport programs (particularly hoops), offered full scholarship FB programs and filled geographic needs, sure, there the league might make a move. Probably not until then, though I can't imagine that the league isn't flattered to have schools publicly expressing interest.

One big benchmark for CAA FB is 2017. That is when the window closes for CAA members to gain automatic admittance into the FB league. VCU and GMU are on the clock and probably need to have FB programs in place in the next 2.5 years to meet the deadline. If they can't get it going, then the pressure may be on to expand the CAA with schools who offer football.

Of course a lot of things could happen with membership between now and 2017 to change those plans.xnodx

BlueHenSinfonian
February 16th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Stony Brook is 500 miles (8.5 hrs) from Orono, ME and over 300 miles to Durham (almost 6 hrs.) It's not a convenient drive to any current CAA FB school.

I'm not sure why anyone would think the CAA and, by extension, CAA FB, have burning desires to expand. Odds are very much against the FB league expanding with non-CAA members. Again, the only way into CAA FB in the foreseeable future is through CAA membership (see UNCC.)

If the right combination of two schools came along to raise the competitive level of CAA Olympic sport programs (particularly hoops), offered full scholarship FB programs and filled geographic needs, sure, there the league might make a move. Probably not until then, though I can't imagine that the league isn't flattered to have schools publicly expressing interest.

One big benchmark for CAA FB is 2017. That is when the window closes for CAA members to gain automatic admittance into the FB league. VCU and GMU are on the clock and probably need to have FB programs in place in the next 2.5 years to meet the deadline. If they can't get it going, then the pressure may be on to expand the CAA with schools who offer football.

Of course a lot of things could happen with membership between now and 2017 to change those plans.xnodx

The CAA has lost Hofstra, Northeastern, URI, and UMass for football, and 'Nova is one invite from the BE away from jumping ship.

The CAA has added ODU and GA State, but that still makes it down two members with a third sitting on the fence admiring the neighbor's grass.

JMU's stadium expansion also hints at FBS aspirations.

It makes sense for the CAA to start looking to expand now if only to replace lost institutions. VCU and GMU adding football would be great, but that doesn't do anything to help out UNH and Maine, who might be tempted by a New England FCS conference should upward-bound NEC schools break from the fold.

Orono is in the middle of nowhere, but Stony Brook and Albany could conceivably be bus games for UNH. None of the CT schools would make a good CAA fit as far as I can tell.

citdog
February 16th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Probably came off a bit harsher than intended. I can understand where you got confused about the Citadel and CofC, because they are snobbish and holier-than-thou. However, that is not because they are private schools, but because they are from Charleston.

and with DAMN good reason

http://techworkingrealestate.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/charleston-battery-image.jpg

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/DM-Resize/photos.demandstudios.com/getty/article/78/123/78050229.jpg?w=440&h=440&keep_ratio=1

http://www.travelweekly.com/uploadedImages/All_TW_Destinations/USA_Canada/BatteryPark-Charleston.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hX5v7FyVY2Y/TdzltOpFCTI/AAAAAAAAAGE/Iw0XOyzLuU0/s1600/Charleston%2BMay%2B2011%2B019.jpg

seantaylor
February 17th, 2012, 01:13 AM
C of C has been the "consistently best" team in Curry's absence, but Davidson's post Elite 8 recruiting class is in their senior year and finally playing up to expectations, making them the best for this season. Meanwhile, Bobby Cremins is battling health issues and not on the bench for C of C.

If the Davidson-UNCC game were played today, I believe the result would be vastly different. Same with the Davidson-UNCC game if it were played at the end of 08.

And please, the elementary "You're a Tar Heel basketball fan!" and "Tweetsie" smack has run its course. You guys can do better than that...

I disagree with this. CofC has never won the Socon I believe. They are living off their success from the early 90's. A consistently overrated team and program.

fc97
February 17th, 2012, 05:15 AM
?

sorry, coastal has come up before with a straw poll in a southern conference meeting before samford arrived

furman, wofford and the citadel voted against

elon, georgia southern, appalachian state, western carolina and chattanooga voted in favor

the basketball schools vote with the majority in things that concern football as an unwritten rule but charleston also voiced strong opposition

when it comes to coastal it isnt a public vs private split, its a sc vs nc others split

PaladinFan
February 17th, 2012, 06:51 AM
sorry, coastal has come up before with a straw poll in a southern conference meeting before samford arrived

elon, georgia southern, appalachian state, western carolina and chattanooga voted in favor

the basketball schools vote with the majority in things that concern football as an unwritten rule but charleston also voiced strong opposition

when it comes to coastal it isnt a public vs private split, its a sc vs nc others split

I had never put much thought to such things until conference realignment, but when you look at what the SEC did recently, it makes complete sense why the South Carolina schools have no interest in Coastal. The SEC could have picked much more natural and geographic rivals, but that doesn't do the conference any good. What does the conference good is to go out, expand the footprint, and plant the SoCon's flag somewhere other than the Carolinas. Looking back, makes complete sense why Samford was chosen over Coastal, and I don't think it has the first thing to do with the fact its a private school. I think it has everything to do with being in Birmingham, Alabama and not Conway, South Carolina.

WH49er
February 17th, 2012, 08:20 AM

That's just the go to stuff. If you want more I could always talk about how the majority of your students get their only shower of the year by jumping in the duck pond or just drive their cars in there.

Or should I mention the Cirque du Gay stuff that happens on the front lawn once spring arrives? Learning to walk tightropes and juggling bowling pins will serve you well in the working world. It's like OWS everyday out there.

Or I could just post this link?
http://firstyearseminar.appstate.edu/what-if-harry-potter-real

Or tell you about the running joke in the Charlotte business community about how App business grad are really just destine to become Charlotte's bank tellers.

Quick jabs serve the purpose, get over it.

asumike83
February 17th, 2012, 08:28 AM

Ah, gotcha. That does make sense that the SC schools oppose Coastal's membership.

asumike83
February 17th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Or tell you about the running joke in the Charlotte business community about how App business grad are really just destine to become Charlotte's bank tellers.

I've been in the Charlotte business community for a while, haven't heard that one. I'll have to ask the UNCC grad who works for me if he's familiar with it. :D

bluehenbillk
February 17th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Coastal would dominate CAA baseball that's for sure....

henfan
February 17th, 2012, 08:56 AM
The CAA has lost Hofstra, Northeastern, URI, and UMass for football, and 'Nova is one invite from the BE away from jumping ship...

Like any conference, the CAA is constantly evaluating the potential for future change in both the Olympic sport conference and FB league. Change will come without question. Nobody can foresee what those changes will be but I like the fact that the CAA is dealing from strength and can afford to be selective.

Trying to project who will go where years from now based on unfounded speculation though is just not something that interests me. If CAA members collectively believe that CCU, SBU, UA, etc. offer the conference all sport value, they'll ask them to join. In any case, I think the odds are very much against any non-CAA school being extended an invitation to CAA FB into the foreseeable future.

MarkCCU
February 17th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Like any conference, the CAA is constantly evaluating the potential for future change in both the Olympic sport conference and FB league. Change will come without question. Nobody can foresee what those changes will be but I like the fact that the CAA is dealing from strength and can afford to be selective.

Trying to project who will go where years from now based on unfounded speculation though is just not something that interests me. If CAA members collectively believe that CCU, SBU, UA, etc. offer the conference all sport value, they'll ask them to join. In any case, I think the odds are very much against any non-CAA school being extended an invitation to CAA FB into the foreseeable future.

Right on. I think CCU is a few seasons away from moving to a new conference. We have a new coach and that brings uncertainty that a Conference will have to examine closely before any invite is extended.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 17th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Trying to project who will go where years from now based on unfounded speculation though is just not something that interests me.

1) If discussion of realignment/expansion is something that doesn't interest you, then why are you here? xlolx

2) What part of "Officials with the university and the CCU Board of Trustees have started discussions to see about moving the university out of the Big South Conference and head to either the Colonial Athletic Association or to the Southern Conference" is unfounded speculation? It seems like it's pretty damned well founded, with an athletics committee meeting where "most of the discussion lent itself to joining the Colonial Athletic Association."

If that failed to sway you, perhaps the fact that CCU's president went on the record that they have started discussions might sway you that perhaps it might be a good idea to speculate as to whether CCU ought to be a part of the CAA? xrolleyesx

I mean, come on, it's not like people are pulling schools out of the blue and saying like "will SUNY-Binghamton, UMBC and Holy Cross join the CAA". CCU's President, fer Gods sakes, is talking about it.

danefan
February 17th, 2012, 10:09 AM
1) If discussion of realignment/expansion is something that doesn't interest you, then why are you here? xlolx

2) What part of "Officials with the university and the CCU Board of Trustees have started discussions to see about moving the university out of the Big South Conference and head to either the Colonial Athletic Association or to the Southern Conference" is unfounded speculation? It seems like it's pretty damned well founded, with an athletics committee meeting where "most of the discussion lent itself to joining the Colonial Athletic Association."

If that failed to sway you, perhaps the fact that CCU's president went on the record that they have started discussions might sway you that perhaps it might be a good idea to speculate as to whether CCU ought to be a part of the CAA? xrolleyesx

I mean, come on, it's not like people are pulling schools out of the blue and saying like "will SUNY-Binghamton, UMBC and Holy Cross join the CAA". CCU's President, fer Gods sakes, is talking about it.

Talking amongst themselves. No evidence they've talked to either the SoCon or CAA.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 17th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Talking amongst themselves. No evidence they've talked to either the SoCon or CAA.

Yes, they did. Through the public-domain article that stated as its headline "CCU officials contemplate athletic conference change".

Sly Fox
February 17th, 2012, 10:55 AM
This is simply a situation where there is a big shakeup coming and the folks in Conway are doing their best to not be forgotten.

As a Liberty alum, I can understand fully how they wouldn't want to be left in a Big South after we're gone. With all due respect to our league mates, we're the only two schools making a serious commitment to athletics. And for those not familiar, it is a VERY serious commitment in Lynchburg.

olejack
February 17th, 2012, 12:57 PM

Thanks Mike! That was awesome with the mix and all.

henfan
February 17th, 2012, 01:22 PM

1) Expansion/realignment interests me; unfounded speculation about it & message board dart throwing does not. Capice? I'm not sorry for trying to interject some reason into a topic that often runs off the boards here every time a university official, coach or media member makes mention of potential hopes or desires. I'm just not fascinated by rumor mongering, don't think it's particularly interesting or entertaining, nor do I have a blog devoted to the pursuit of it. I also don't enjoy fantasy fiction, larping or war games. Just isn't my deal.

BTW, the article mentions that the CCU BOT has started discussions. It does not indicate that they have had discussions with either SoCon or CAA officials. Perhaps they've just had discussions amongst themselves to see if conference change is the right thing for them. (This is what I mean about taking a phrase and running off the rails with it.)

2) CCU's CEO made it pretty clear that they're interested in moving out of the Big South and would like to target the CAA and SoCon. That's indeed not unfounded. What is unfounded is the assumption that the CAA or SoCon would even be remotely interested in expanding with CCU as partners.

Before you get your panties wet & write a speculative blog on the infinite possibilities, calm down, re-read my last post and understand that CCU's interest does not automatically translate into mutual interest on the part of the CAA or SoCon. It's just not that simple.

FTR, Hampton also applied for all sport membership to the CAA nearly a decade ago and are still MEAC members. UNCC also expressed interest in joining CAA FB but their interest didn't translate into a invitation either.

WestCoastAggie
February 17th, 2012, 01:39 PM
The Big South Really wants Norfolk State and SC State.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Sly Fox
February 17th, 2012, 01:43 PM
The Big South will want whatever it takes to keep the league auto bid once Liberty & Stony Brook (and theoretically CCU) bolt.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 17th, 2012, 01:49 PM
1) Expansion/realignment interests me; unfounded speculation about it & message board dart throwing does not. Capice? I'm not sorry for trying to interject some reason into a topic that often runs off the boards here every time a university official, coach or media member makes mention of potential hopes or desires. I'm just not fascinated by rumor mongering, don't think it's particularly interesting or entertaining...

2) CCU's CEO made it pretty clear that they're interested in moving out of the Big South and would like to target the CAA and SoCon. That's indeed not unfounded. What is unfounded is the assumption that the CAA or SoCon would even be remotely interested in expanding with CCU as partners.

Calm down, re-read my last post and understand that CCU's interest does not automatically translate into interest on the part of the CAA or SoCon. It's just not that simple.

I 100% agree with these last three assertions, once I took out all the needless bashing out of your original post.

But I truly fail to see how discussion is "running off the boards" when CCU's president is stating publicly their interest in joining the league. This isn't someone coming up out of the blue and saying that Georgetown is going to join Conference Cluster***** with Idaho, Hawai'i and Lehigh, this is a real conversation between a university president and their BOT about moving conferences. That counts a lot more than Bill from Queens calling in and pitching their conference alignment scenario.

Where's the dart throwing in what he said? All he mentioned after that were facts (four members have left in the past five years) and very informed speculation that is easily verifiable (Villanova might be going to Big East football, JMU is thinking about moving up). It's no less informed than your "speculation" that conferences might shift dramatically over the next five years.

henfan
February 17th, 2012, 02:23 PM
There wasn't any needless bashing in anything I've written.

There's certainly no harm when a university president, coach or conference official makes straightforward comments to the press. The discussion "runs off the boards" when posters and bloggers take those comments and extrapolate fantasy conference scenarios based on that alone. It's pure silliness but, if it's your thing, man, have at it. I don't intend to stop injecting common sense points into the discussion.

SoCon48
February 19th, 2012, 06:11 PM

Actually there are more public schools in the SoCon than private.

Mr. C
February 21st, 2012, 08:42 PM
A couple of points on this discussion. Someone mentioned Richmond going to the CAA in all sports. Richmond burned some serious bridges when it left the CAA for the A-10 a few years back, so I doubt the Spiders would be headed back to the CAA for sports other than football any time soon. On Coastal Carolina and the SoCon, there was a strong push by CCU back in the mid-2000s to jump to the SoCon and it was pretty much rebuffed by most of the schools, including Appalachian State and Western Carolina. Several sources told me at the time that there was almost no support among the football programs for adding CCU, because of some of the recruiting practices that some CCU assistants were using against SoCon teams back then. I don't know if time has healed any of those hard feelings among SoCon members, or not.

henfan
February 22nd, 2012, 08:00 AM
A couple of points on this discussion. Someone mentioned Richmond going to the CAA in all sports. Richmond burned some serious bridges when it left the CAA for the A-10 a few years back, so I doubt the Spiders would be headed back to the CAA for sports other than football any time soon. On Coastal Carolina and the SoCon, there was a strong push by CCU back in the mid-2000s to jump to the SoCon and it was pretty much rebuffed by most of the schools, including Appalachian State and Western Carolina. Several sources told me at the time that there was almost no support among the football programs for adding CCU, because of some of the recruiting practices that some CCU assistants were using against SoCon teams back then. I don't know if time has healed any of those hard feelings among SoCon members, or not.

Interesting about CCU's recruiting practices. Are you at liberty to share what they were charged with doing exactly?

It would probably take a lot for UR to be interested in CAA membership and vice versa for the reason you mentioned. The UR admin seems content in the A-10 and the CAA appears to have no real apparent desire to add a second school to a city where they already have a member.

With GSU announcing their intentions to reclassify FB, a spot may be open for CCU or some other school to land an all sport affiliation. xthumbsupx

CoastalFan2005
February 24th, 2012, 08:49 PM
On Coastal Carolina and the SoCon, there was a strong push by CCU back in the mid-2000s to jump to the SoCon and it was pretty much rebuffed by most of the schools, including Appalachian State and Western Carolina. Several sources told me at the time that there was almost no support among the football programs for adding CCU, because of some of the recruiting practices that some CCU assistants were using against SoCon teams back then. I don't know if time has healed any of those hard feelings among SoCon members, or not.

Oh, you mean those alleged recruiting practices that you brought up a few years ago, but refused to give us any adequate source for even though you were harping on everyone else on the board at the time for not giving adequate sources to substantiate rumors they posted? xrolleyesx

But seriously, I took part in a roundtable discussion with CCU's President, BoT chair & AD the day before this announcement was made. I can say that the University is very serious about leaving the Big South as soon as we possibly can. I cannot say whether or not overtures toward the CAA have already been made, or if they've contacted us about a potential move to their league in the future.

This isn't a move we're looking to make any time soon - this is something we're trying to get set up for somewhere down the road (5 or so years from now). By then, teams from the SoCon/CAA will likely have moved up to FBS, which we're hoping will open up a spot for us.

Obviously, it would make more sense from a geographical standpoint for us to be in the SoCon - but they don't want us. We don't want the Big South anymore, so the CAA is the only move we could make that wouldn't be a lateral or backwards move.

Mr. C
February 24th, 2012, 09:58 PM
There were numerous sources for that information from several schools in the SoCon, including coaches, athletic department personnel, as well as CCU sources and players that were being recruited during 2004-05 by SoCon schools and CCU. Read the book Magic on the Mountain if you want to know more. As a journalist, you can't reveal certain sources when you have promised to protect them. In this case, the people talking about this were so numerous and all telling the same story that it was pretty easy to confirm it. If you, or anyone else had tried very hard, you could have found out this was true.

Mr. C
February 24th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Interesting about CCU's recruiting practices. Are you at liberty to share what they were charged with doing exactly?

It would probably take a lot for UR to be interested in CAA membership and vice versa for the reason you mentioned. The UR admin seems content in the A-10 and the CAA appears to have no real apparent desire to add a second school to a city where they already have a member.

With GSU announcing their intentions to reclassify FB, a spot may be open for CCU or some other school to land an all sport affiliation. xthumbsupx

It was documented in my book Magic on the Mountain, but the biggest thing was that certain assistants were saying some pretty disgusting stuff when WCU's Kent Briggs was recovering from cancer. They were also spreading rumors that Jerry Moore and his stadd were going to get fired at Appalachian State. I later learned that David Bennett, who I think is a great guy and have had a super working relationship with over the years, called those assistants on the carpet for what they were doing and told them that these practices needed to stop.

CoastalFan2005
February 25th, 2012, 12:22 PM
There were numerous sources for that information from several schools in the SoCon, including coaches, athletic department personnel, as well as CCU sources and players that were being recruited during 2004-05 by SoCon schools and CCU. Read the book Magic on the Mountain if you want to know more. As a journalist, you can't reveal certain sources when you have promised to protect them. In this case, the people talking about this were so numerous and all telling the same story that it was pretty easy to confirm it. If you, or anyone else had tried very hard, you could have found out this was true.

My issue wasn't so much with whether or not what you said was even true (as there are some things I've learned about Bennett since his reassignment that have caused me to lose a great deal of respect for the man, and at this point I don't doubt that he may have engaged in such behavior). It was with the fact that you were posting unsubstantiated rumors when you had previously taken others to task for posting unsubstantiated rumors. Seemed a little hypocritical, even hiding behind the journalist's shield of "can't expose my source." xtwocentsx

Mr. C
February 25th, 2012, 12:44 PM
There is a difference between a "rumor" and an unnamed source. There was never anything unsubstantiated about these stories. There were far too many people confirming it to call it a "rumor."

alvinkayak6
February 25th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Good grannies alive!

Apphole
February 26th, 2012, 09:19 AM
There is a difference between a "rumor" and an unnamed source. There was never anything unsubstantiated about these stories. There were far too many people confirming it to call it a "rumor."

Ok. Don't name the source, but I want to hear some specific accusations

Go...gate
February 26th, 2012, 03:02 PM

Some of us in the PL have similarly envisioned VMI as an all-sports member. Are they private or public?

citdog
February 26th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Ok. Don't name the source, but I want to hear some specific accusations

Buy his book and read it. I'm not an appy fan and I own it. How can you call yourself a member of the "tribe of yosef" and not?

PAID for it too. Mr. C is tighter than Rabbi's wife!

he's an honorary member of THE TRIBE

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/PikiWiki_Israel_15810_Diving_with_Israel_flag.jpg

Go...gate
February 26th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Buy his book and read it. I'm not an appy fan and I own it. How can you call yourself a member of the "tribe of yosef" and not?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/PikiWiki_Israel_15810_Diving_with_Israel_flag.jpg

GREAT PHOTO!

Apphole
February 27th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Scubajew

Sitting Bull
March 10th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I like Coastal as a potential CAA member and believe they would offer a good fit.

1) They play all major sports, importantly football
2) They plug the current geographic hole between UNCW and GSU
3) Should GSU bolt, they still provide a closeby rival for UNCW
4) Like Towson/JMU, they are a large and growing state university falling just below the line of the larger FBS schools in their respective states.
5) They open new media markets for the CAA (South Carolina)
6) All of the CAA's departures have been in the Northeast - with Maine and UNH dangling in distance. Would make sense for the conference to start developing and expanding options south of Virginia.

Lots to like.

alvinkayak6
March 10th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I like Coastal as a potential CAA member and believe they would offer a good fit.

4) Like Towson/JMU, they are a large and growing state university falling just below the line of the larger FBS schools in their respective states.
6) All of the CAA's departures have been in the Northeast - with Maine and UNH dangling in distance. Would make sense for the conference to start developing and expanding options south of Virginia.

Lots to like.

And more importantly South Carolina was an original colony. xawesomex

MorgantonAPPAlum
March 10th, 2012, 04:15 PM

Isn't that one of the secret Jewess fembots of Shayetet 13 Citdog?

elcid83
April 2nd, 2012, 06:55 PM
I dont think the CAA wants them.

I know the Southern Conference doesn't want them! If the SC wanted CCU, they would have taken them when the SC decided to take Samford.

PaladinFan
April 3rd, 2012, 06:57 AM
I know the Southern Conference doesn't want them! If the SC wanted CCU, they would have taken them when the SC decided to take Samford.

It comes back to the same question: what does CCU do for the SoCon?

My answer is nothing. What market do they bring. Remember, college athletics is a $$ question not a "do you have a good football team" question.

Saint3333
April 3rd, 2012, 07:39 AM

My answer is nothing. What market do they bring. Remember, college athletics is a $$ question not a "do you have a good football team" question.

The SoCon doesn't have a history of bringing in day 1 contributors when expanding.

On the field CCU was the strongest candidate the last time the SoCon added a member. Strong football and soccer, and very strong baseball. Academics are holding CCU back, but hey we let WCU stay ;-).

JMUDuke2002
April 3rd, 2012, 08:03 AM

Lots to like.

The only reason would be to give UNCW someone close by, otherwise they do nothing. Their academics suck. Football is ok. Basketball is bad and plays in a tiny arena. Oh, they are not a large public. JMU, ODU, and Towson have 10K+ more students. They are closer in size to WM, with academics worse than Radford's. I expect the CAA to look north to places like Albany and Stony Brook.

henfan
April 3rd, 2012, 08:05 AM

Don't think that's it. The population of the MB-North MB-Conway metro area would hardly be the smallest in the existing SoCon.

Media markets just aren't as critical to FCS conferences, as they aren't likely to land huge media deals anyway. FCS schools tend rank 2nd or even 3rd in their own media markets anyway if there are big-time FBS programs also in those same areas.

whitey
April 3rd, 2012, 08:26 AM
The Sunbelt has voted to add Georgia State. Georgia State could announce their departure as early as this week. The CAA will surely be down a full sports member for the 2013 - 2014 academic year. If the CAA adds a full sports school to replace Georgia State I'd say Stony Brook gets a look before Coastal.

jmu_duke07
April 3rd, 2012, 08:46 AM
The CAA should add App St. to replace GaST. Would be a great rivalry for JMU and ODU.

Apphole
April 3rd, 2012, 08:55 AM
The CAA should add App St. to replace GaST. Would be a great rivalry for JMU and ODU.

Only if the entire conference will soon make the FBS jump.

JMUDuke2002
April 3rd, 2012, 09:06 AM
So is App State's Sun Belt invite coming soon?

Apphole
April 3rd, 2012, 09:11 AM

If it is, Peacock won't go for it unless maybe UNCC comes with us. He's already stated that that isn't an option due to a lack of geographic or historic rivalries.

asumike83
April 3rd, 2012, 09:16 AM

Doubt it. Looks more and more like App is just going to sit tight for a while and see how everything pans out.

I think the CAA should give Coastal a look. Football has had some good years, basketball has been pretty solid recently and they would be a serious asset for baseball.

TheRevSFA
April 3rd, 2012, 09:20 AM

Is there a penny on the seafloor? Trying to figure out what he's going after :D

PaladinFan
April 3rd, 2012, 09:51 AM
Don't think that's it. The population of the MB-North MB-Conway metro area would hardly be the smallest in the existing SoCon.

Media markets just aren't as critical to FCS conferences, as they aren't likely to land huge media deals anyway. FCS schools tend rank 2nd or even 3rd in their own media markets anyway if there are big-time FBS programs also in those same areas.

No, it would not be the smallest. However, of the eleven conference schools, only two really are disconnected to a large metropolitan area (Boone and Cullowhee).

I mean, I can see why people think they fit. They are geographically close, have some pretty good teams, etc. Still, the SoCon has showed that it is interested in expanding to markets, not necessarily going after the "best player available." Right now the conference has four schools in South Carolina, all four of which are in the state's major metropolitan areas. Conferences don't expand based on talent of today's sports (if they did, the SoCon would look much different...words can't express how bad Elon was when they joined the conference). They expand based on revenue. Coastal brings no revenue. It has a relatively small alumni base. It is remote. It really does not add much to what is there.

At risk for offending Coastal fans, I don't mean this as a slight. In my opinion, there are better fits than the SoCon.