PDA

View Full Version : SHSU gets a share of the SLC Commissioner's Cup

blackfordpu
May 22nd, 2005, 04:15 PM
Sam Houston tied with Texas State - San Marcos for the best athletic program in the Southland Conference. It has been a great year for all Sam Houston sports and this reward is well deserved.

full story (http://www.itemonline.com/articles/2005/05/22/sports/todays_sports/sports01.txt)

TexasTerror
May 22nd, 2005, 09:17 PM
It's tough to buy championships when your someone like Sam. I wouldn't expect it to become a trend, but it would be nice to compete year in and year out. When you have Nicholls State with the lowest budget in the SLC (even lower than non-football schools), while having football, no surprise they're finishing near the bottom in the Commish Cup race.

Every year, schools like UTA and UTSA finish easily in the top four. Wonder why? They have budgets roughly equal to that of Sam Houston State's. This despite not having football. They make up those points easily from lacking football because they can pretty much buy championships. Ask Lamar.

I'm not saying money is all to blame, but even looking at major schools, we see the same hold true when you compare the few schools are cashing in millions able to put away these smaller BCS schools. In the SLC, you have TxSt-San Marcos with a budget of $8.2M. The largest in the conference by a good $2-3M. No surprise the Bobcats are able to take care of business and be hunting for a Commish Cup. Not only can they properly fund football (compared to the rest of the SLC), but they can also compete against the non-football schools (which the football schools struggle against).

Eh, you probably don't understand a bit of what I just said and I'm not going to compare it to the New York Yankees because it just doesn't seem like too much distance monetarily, but when your talking low on the totem pole Division I schools, it is.

blackfordpu
May 22nd, 2005, 09:35 PM
It's tough to buy championships when your someone like Sam. I wouldn't expect it to become a trend, but it would be nice to compete year in and year out. When you have Nicholls State with the lowest budget in the SLC (even lower than non-football schools), while having football, no surprise they're finishing near the bottom in the Commish Cup race.

Every year, schools like UTA and UTSA finish easily in the top four. Wonder why? They have budgets roughly equal to that of Sam Houston State's. This despite not having football. They make up those points easily from lacking football because they can pretty much buy championships. Ask Lamar.

I'm not saying money is all to blame, but even looking at major schools, we see the same hold true when you compare the few schools are cashing in millions able to put away these smaller BCS schools. In the SLC, you have TxSt-San Marcos with a budget of $8.2M. The largest in the conference by a good $2-3M. No surprise the Bobcats are able to take care of business and be hunting for a Commish Cup. Not only can they properly fund football (compared to the rest of the SLC), but they can also compete against the non-football schools (which the football schools struggle against).

Eh, you probably don't understand a bit of what I just said and I'm not going to compare it to the New York Yankees because it just doesn't seem like too much distance monetarily, but when your talking low on the totem pole Division I schools, it is.

You think Sam "bought" the commissioners cup? Why is that?

wkuhillhound
May 22nd, 2005, 11:03 PM
Maybe that schools offers more that counts towards the Commissioner's Cup. Western Kentucky won the Vic Bubas Cup last year = same as SLC's Commissioners Cup and WKU does not offer football. It could also be that summer schools have stronger spring programs than winter programs. It could be a combination of things.

TexasTerror
May 23rd, 2005, 07:25 AM
You think Sam "bought" the commissioners cup? Why is that?

No, this was my response to a post by someone from San Marcos. I feel the non-football schools have an advantage due to an equal budget to that of ours at Sam, while we have football and the fact San Marcos has a budget of $3M more than ours, which does make a difference...