PDA

View Full Version : NDSU vs. Georgia Southern - Semifinals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12

LakesBison
December 13th, 2011, 11:36 PM
I watched the GSU Maine game. GSU offensive blocking scheme on outside option utilizes cut blocks.Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a block in the back behind the line of scrimmage outside the tackles illegal. i saw not only a lot of BIB but many were below the waist which would be a clip. Only one called. WTF.

THOSE CHEATING BASTARDS!!

Grizalltheway
December 13th, 2011, 11:38 PM
FYI, I've been reading this thread since Saturday, and it's awesome. around page 95 when everyone was cracking jokes, it was epic. IMO, this has potential to be a historical document going forward. Like the Magna Carta.

EXACTLY like the Magna Carta! xnodx

BisonSwag
December 13th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Georgia Southwestern

bullitt_60
December 13th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I watched the GSU Maine game. GSU offensive blocking scheme on outside option utilizes cut blocks.Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a block in the back behind the line of scrimmage outside the tackles illegal. i saw not only a lot of BIB but many were below the waist which would be a clip. Only one called. WTF.

Block in the back is always a penalty. Blocking below the waist from behind is clipping. Blocking below the waist on a player that is already engaged is a chop block. Blocking below the waist is a cut block and is legal. If the defender turns towards the block, it is no longer a block in the back.

Livgriz
December 13th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Block in the back is always a penalty. Blocking below the waist from behind is clipping. Blocking below the waist on a player that is already engaged is a chop block. Blocking below the waist is a cut block and is legal.
Yes I know that, but I saw at least3 Maine dudes cut down when the GSU blocker launched from behind the O blocker

Livgriz
December 13th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Wow I think I just killed a 1255 post thread. That must be some kind of record.

bullitt_60
December 13th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Don't know man, I don't remember seeing anything flagrant. Usually refs watch our blocking closely, although I'm sure some are missed. We get a chop block penalty almost every game, many times due to a missed blocking assignment.

Livgriz
December 14th, 2011, 12:01 AM
It wasn't flagrant.They happened so quick, due to the speed of the play, that you really had to watch it numerous times on ESPN3 replay to see it. But in IMHO they were there.

CC Eagle
December 14th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Don't know man, I don't remember seeing anything flagrant. Usually refs watch our blocking closely, although I'm sure some are missed. We get a chop block penalty almost every game, many times due to a missed blocking assignment.

This.

People rail on GSU and other triple option teams like the cut blocking scheme is some malicious ploy to blow out every defenders' knees. 90% of the time GSU is called for a chop block, it's because one OL was supposed to cut and another was supposed to release to the second level, but both go after the same guy. It's the running team's equivilant of getting your pass protection messed up and double teaming a DL while letting a blitzing LB through unblocked.

Livgriz
December 14th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Not talking anything malicious nor cut blocks.Clipping is the issue. And a couple of blocks in the back of which one was called.

BisonBohl
December 14th, 2011, 12:09 AM
This thread really needs a mainejeff appearance to tell us how much NDSU will lose by...

Livgriz
December 14th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Anyway, how about those Georgia strippers working for less than minimum wage for their cousins out in western ND. Without dental benefits.

BisonBabe
December 14th, 2011, 03:25 AM
This thread really needs a mainejeff appearance to tell us how much NDSU will lose by...

Oh that happened within the first 20 pages I believe....he has been quiet for awhile.

Gil Dobie
December 14th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Oh that happened within the first 20 pages I believe....he has been quiet for awhile.

He's working on something new for us to enjoy
http://clog.dailycal.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/scheming.jpg

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 07:02 AM
It's so not fair. Lakesbison should be banned from AGS between 11pm and 8am eastern. How am I supposed to contemporaneously smack him down when I'm in bed?

Incidentally I just realized I have almost 12% of the posts in this thread. I need help.

bisonguy
December 14th, 2011, 07:30 AM
WTF? I just hit refresh and there weren't at least 10 new responses in this thread.

gataeagles7
December 14th, 2011, 07:36 AM
******. Opie found Bisonville.

My sincere condolences :( .

eaglewraith
December 14th, 2011, 08:06 AM
My sincere condolences :( .

And he's already banned.

CC Eagle
December 14th, 2011, 08:10 AM
And he's already banned.

There are no filters or censorship on the Bisonville boards... Opie never had a chance.

GSC75
December 14th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Not talking anything malicious nor cut blocks.Clipping is the issue. And a couple of blocks in the back of which one was called.

Did you see the GSU player almost de-cleated from behind with a BIB RIGHT in front of the ref and a no-call? So obvious even I saw it...

TwoFeathers
December 14th, 2011, 08:31 AM

Let's not forget Chattownmocs... According to him, Chattanooga will be crowned the champion just before the Frisco game, which will only be held to settle the smack wars.

TwoFeathers
December 14th, 2011, 08:33 AM
This.

People rail on GSU and other triple option teams like the cut blocking scheme is some malicious ploy to blow out every defenders' knees. 90% of the time GSU is called for a chop block, it's because one OL was supposed to cut and another was supposed to release to the second level, but both go after the same guy. It's the running team's equivilant of getting your pass protection messed up and double teaming a DL while letting a blitzing LB through unblocked.

The only thing I'd expect is a few false-start calls, similar to the Maine game. These out-of-conference officials don't give Ga Southern NEARLY as much slack as the SoCon crews do.

Seven Would Be Nice
December 14th, 2011, 08:40 AM
The only thing I'd expect is a few false-start calls, similar to the Maine game. These out-of-conference officials don't give Ga Southern NEARLY as much slack as the SoCon crews do.

Riiiiight. Because SoCon crews give GSU SOOOO much slack. xcrazyxxcrazyxxcrazyxxcrazyxxcrazyx

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2011, 09:41 AM
News flash - sorry if this has already been posted but MEAC refs will be doing the game, everyone knows there quick with flags with a focus on Illegal chop blocks and false starts.... good luck GSU

Seven Would Be Nice
December 14th, 2011, 09:42 AM
News flash - sorry if this has already been posted but MEAC refs will be doing the game, everyone knows there quick with flags with a focus on Illegal chop blocks and false starts.... good luck GSU

Thanks. Zebras have been the only thing to slow down our offense in the playoffs. NDSU will need every advantage they can get.

FIDO-GATA
December 14th, 2011, 09:42 AM
An entire hour without a post? Unexceptable. People must actually be working today.

To follow up on what someone was saying about us false starting on offense....it appears that way a lot because of the way we do our snap counts. A lot of times we will go on "set", but the QB still carries through with the "hike" cadence anyway. So it looks like the ball was snapped on the word "hike" and the line left early which really isn't the case. (This was my attempt to get the thread back on football so....)

BisonBacker
December 14th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Alright so to get the thread back on track....

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/3947606_f520.jpg

:D:D:D:D You are all Welcome :D:D:D:D

Professor Chaos
December 14th, 2011, 09:52 AM
An entire hour without a post? Unexceptable. People must actually be working today.

To follow up on what someone was saying about us false starting on offense....it appears that way a lot because of the way we do our snap counts. A lot of times we will go on "set", but the QB still carries through with the "hike" cadence anyway. So it looks like the ball was snapped on the word "hike" and the line left early which really isn't the case. (This was my attempt to get the thread back on football so....)
That's all well and good but if the crowd is into it your O-line won't know the difference between the two.

ChiefGSU275
December 14th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Alright so to get the thread back on track....

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/3947606_f520.jpg

:D:D:D:D You are all Welcome :D:D:D:D

Please don't degrade women.

BisonBacker
December 14th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Please don't degrade women.

I didn't degrade her. I gave her an A+ not an F :D:D:D

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 10:44 AM
OK back to football. I would like to finally throw some cold water on the idea that since GSU ran on Alabama, they can run on anybody.

These are the offensive drives AFTER the 2nd touchdown for GSU (Forgive the formatting. Copy/paste from ESPN)

Time Q Length Start Plays Yds Result
00:05 2 00:05 GASO 30 1 5 End of Half
15:00 3 03:34 GASO 24 7 16 Punt
02:36 3 08:16 GASO 20 13 71 Turnover on Downs
00:44 4 00:44 GASO 35 4 35 End of Half

Discounting the special teams touchdown you can see that despite Dominique Swope getting 153 yds, after the half, he only gained 32.

This supports the idea that there was a time at the beginning of the game where Alabama was taking GSU lightly. When they snapped out of it (as there is a clear indication of before and after) the offense was stopped pretty cold.

So as to my earlier contention. This weekend GSU will see the best defense that gives a damn about the game they have played all year.

Bison06
December 14th, 2011, 10:53 AM
OK back to football. I would like to finally throw some cold water on the idea that since GSU ran on Alabama, they can run on anybody.

These are the offensive drives AFTER the 2nd touchdown for GSU (Forgive the formatting. Copy/paste from ESPN)

Time Q Length Start Plays Yds Result
00:05 2 00:05 GASO 30 1 5 End of Half
15:00 3 03:34 GASO 24 7 16 Punt
02:36 3 08:16 GASO 20 13 71 Turnover on Downs
00:44 4 00:44 GASO 35 4 35 End of Half

Discounting the special teams touchdown you can see that despite Dominique Swope getting 153 yds, after the half, he only gained 32.

This supports the idea that there was a time at the beginning of the game where Alabama was taking GSU lightly. When they snapped out of it (as there is a clear indication of before and after) the offense was stopped pretty cold.

So as to my earlier contention. This weekend GSU will see the best defense that gives a damn about the game they have played all year.

Playing the other side of the argument a bit here, but couldn't these stats also suggest that it took Alabama a few series to "figure out" how to stop GSU instead of them not caring.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Playing the other side of the argument a bit here, but couldn't these stats also suggest that it took Alabama a few series to "figure out" how to stop GSU instead of them not caring.

It's so black and white after the second touchdown though. I'm willing to concede a mixture of both but it isn't outside the realm of possibility that they didn't get Alabama's best effort that day.

eagle07
December 14th, 2011, 10:58 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/12/14/fcs-semifinals-gsu-ndsu-get-important-meeting-after-all/

clearly not that important, there is no article!

Seven Would Be Nice
December 14th, 2011, 11:01 AM
It's so black and white after the second touchdown though. I'm willing to concede a mixture of both but it isn't outside the realm of possibility that they didn't get Alabama's best effort that day.

Having one of the best defensive coaches in college football making adjustments in the locker room might have helped a little bit as well. You can practice for it all week long, but seeing it full speed is a different story.

Alabama has the coaching and players to make those adjustments.

Bison06
December 14th, 2011, 11:03 AM

Of course they didn't get Alabama's best effort, that's the way it is when you play FBS teams. I doubt we got Minnesota's best effort either.

If GSU fans think they played the same Alabama team that played LSU earlier in the year they are dilusional.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Having one of the best defensive coaches in college football making adjustments in the locker room might have helped a little bit as well. You can practice for it all week long, but seeing it full speed is a different story.

Alabama has the coaching and players to make those adjustments.

But wait...I thought if you had the coaches, it didn't matter because of the players? There appear to be several different arguments.

Seven Would Be Nice
December 14th, 2011, 11:16 AM
But wait...I thought if you had the coaches, it didn't matter because of the players? There appear to be several different arguments.

That will always be one of the great college debates. Personally I think it takes both.

Players + Coaches = Alabama playing for national title
Players = UGA.. all the under developed talent one could ask for
Coaches = GT.. one of the greatest offensive minds that can't get the players he needs to be fully successful.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 11:22 AM
That will always be one of the great college debates. Personally I think it takes both.

Players + Coaches = Alabama playing for national title
Players = UGA.. all the under developed talent one could ask for
Coaches = GT.. one of the greatest offensive minds that can't get the players he needs to be fully successful.

All I'm saying with the previous comment is that, on the FCS level, GSU will see it's toughest opponent of the year. It seems that very few of your fans think that. It appears that the consensus opinion is that GSU will somehow come up to Fargo and score more points than anyone has all year.

gataeagles7
December 14th, 2011, 11:32 AM
All I'm saying with the previous comment is that, on the FCS level, GSU will see it's toughest opponent of the year. It seems that very few of your fans think that. It appears that the consensus opinion is that GSU will somehow come up to Fargo and score more points than anyone has all year.

If a 6-5 YSU team can do it, why can't we?

Seven Would Be Nice
December 14th, 2011, 11:33 AM

The most you gave up all year was 27, we are averaging 37 a game (45 in the playoffs).

So, it's not completely out of the realm of possibility, now is it? We run a specialized offense that can be very difficult to defend. Defensive rushing stats don't mean squat, because it's not the same style rushing attack.

A quick look at our opponents schedules, when comparing FCS games, we put up either the most or 2nd most points on them all year. And I won't mention Alabama, because that horse gets beaten enough. :)

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 11:49 AM
If a 6-5 YSU team can do it, why can't we?

Because a 6-5 YSU team is only the 2nd in two years to come into the Dome and win. They scored the most points against us all year, including a FBS team. We are averaging 7 pts against in the playoffs and skunked a team that is averaging 5 fewer pts than GSU.

The thing I am mostly pushing back against is the idea that GSU will somehow steamroll a team playing at home that is averaging just under 14ppg scoring against. That's just silly.

F'N Hawks
December 14th, 2011, 11:50 AM
From what I read in the Forum it sounds like the NDSU defensive coaching staff is pretty consumed with getting their game plan down. They are calling other staffs who have faced the T.O. before, etc.

Apparently what I said about 50 pages ago is accurate. The 4-3 Tampa 2 defense does not work vs. this offense and they know it. The defensive staff is pretty much overhauling the entire game plan into a unique defense. If they lined up in a base 4-3 they would be in trouble.

Here is the problem: they have 3 practices to get all of these tweaks in and have the players understand them. Also, what happens when/if they aren't working once the game starts?

Seems like a lot of worrying and changing for one game.

eaglewraith
December 14th, 2011, 11:51 AM

Toughest team we've faced this year: Alabama (yea yea buttbama whatever, it's true)

In FCS
Toughest offense we've faced this year: ODU
Toughest defense we've faced this year: NDSU (on turnover potential alone, also an athletic secondary and good front 4)

We may be undersized on the DL, but we've been pretty stout at stopping any runs up the middle. NDSU will have to absolutely grind the hell out of us to hurt us that way. However, with my confidence in the offense, I think we make NDSU abandon the ball control and have to play from behind. That's when our defense is at its best, we tend to give up yards but not points in those situations.

And I have no problem being confident that we'll score more than 27...we have to keep up our same level of execution or better though. We can't just come up there, expect to roll our helmets on the field and get 30+. If we get that many it will be because we earned them, not because you just gave them away.

Seven Would Be Nice
December 14th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Because a 6-5 YSU team is only the 2nd in two years to come into the Dome and win. They scored the most points against us all year, including a FBS team. We are averaging 7 pts against in the playoffs and skunked a team that is averaging 5 fewer pts than GSU.

The thing I am mostly pushing back against is the idea that GSU will somehow steamroll a team playing at home that is averaging just under 14ppg scoring against. That's just silly.

We have scholarship athletes. Bragging about shutting out Lehigh is what's silly. :D

BisonBabe
December 14th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Wow 130 pages....

Well on a game note I went online this morning to try and pick up 2 more tickets to the game and they were sold out in less than 10 minutes....according to the ticket office more may be available tomorrow morning when GSU turns back any unsold tickets...betting those will go quick as well. Will be a loud and rowdy crowd ...

Is it Friday yet???Really need my fix of FCS football and don't feel like re-watching a game that I know the outcome of already.

FargoBison
December 14th, 2011, 11:54 AM
We have scholarship athletes. Bragging about shutting out Lehigh is what's silly. :D

Lehigh did drop 40 on the CAA champ.....

gataeagles7
December 14th, 2011, 11:55 AM

Thanks that certainly explained why YSU did it and we won't be able to.

http://polizeros.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/underpants-gnomes.jpg

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Lehigh did drop 40 on the CAA champ.....

discounting Lehigh because they played NDSU is stupid too. They were #6 at the end of the year and scored 32 ppg.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Thanks that certainly explained why YSU did it and we won't be able to.

http://polizeros.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/underpants-gnomes.jpg

So just because YSU did it mean that GSU can too? Tell that to the other 10 teams over the last 2 years.

BisonBacker
December 14th, 2011, 11:59 AM
discounting Lehigh because they played NDSU is stupid too. They were #6 at the end of the year and scored 32 ppg.

^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Southern Bison
If you must know, more than the number of NDSU fans that were in Statesboro in 2006.

Dead wrong! We had between 75-100 @ that game...I know as I was the 1 screaming who's house in the fourth quarter!

gataeagles7

I swear I'm not trolling, but you do understand that you were the 3rd ranked Total Rushing D in your conference and 4th in allowing YPC? The 2nd best D gave up 457 yards to Wofford at home in a dome.

Seven Would Be Nice
December 14th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Is it Saturday yet?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Is it Saturday yet?

This^^^^

Won't stop me from posting though xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

gataeagles7
December 14th, 2011, 12:01 PM
So just because YSU did it mean that GSU can too? Tell that to the other 10 teams over the last 2 years.

I'm not saying that we will. But your fanbase is completely discounting it and acting like it could never happen.

Grizalltheway
December 14th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I swear I'm not trolling, but you do understand that you were the 3rd ranked Total Rushing D in your conference and 4th in allowing YPC? The 2nd best D gave up 457 yards to Wofford at home in a dome.

I want NDSU to win this one (just ralphed a little) but this is a pretty telling stat...

Seven Would Be Nice
December 14th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I'm not saying that we will. But your fanbase is completely discounting it and acting like it could never happen.

Yeah, thinking that it's impossible for the GSU offense to score more than 27 is like saying Lakes hasn't posted something stupid in 10 minutes, so maybe he won't post any more.

F'N Hawks
December 14th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Line is out:

NDSU -7

O/U 51

FargoBison
December 14th, 2011, 12:06 PM

NDSU isn't UNI.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 14th, 2011, 12:09 PM
From what I read in the Forum it sounds like the NDSU defensive coaching staff is pretty consumed with getting their game plan down. They are calling other staffs who have faced the T.O. before, etc.

Apparently what I said about 50 pages ago is accurate. The 4-3 Tampa 2 defense does not work vs. this offense and they know it. The defensive staff is pretty much overhauling the entire game plan into a unique defense. If they lined up in a base 4-3 they would be in trouble. Here is the problem: they have 3 practices to get all of these tweaks in and have the players understand them. Also, what happens when/if they aren't working once the game starts?

Our front 7 are athletic and Heagle (SS) is going to be close to the line for run support. Their Oline is small so we'll see how we match up against them. NDSU's defense is very good and IMO...they will slow down GSU into 3 and outs. GSU will get some rushing yards but NO WAY they come into the FD and rush all over us.

IMO, our Oline has a big advantage over their dline.

Bison win this 35-21

GaSouthern
December 14th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I just watched the NDSU replay from saturday. If there are 0 turnovers then I think this will be a 10 point game going either way. NDSU looks like a better Maine team and I think GSU will stack up well against them but due to the NDSU home field / Rug advantage I think it will take a near perfect game for GSU to win.

GATA Eagles!

Bison06
December 14th, 2011, 12:12 PM

Apparently what I said about 50 pages ago is accurate. The 4-3 Tampa 2 defense does not work vs. this offense and they know it. The defensive staff is pretty much overhauling the entire game plan into a unique defense. If they lined up in a base 4-3 they would be in trouble.

Here is the problem: they have 3 practices to get all of these tweaks in and have the players understand them. Also, what happens when/if they aren't working once the game starts?

This is what worries me the most about playing GSU. In the past when we have been forced to game plan for a gimmicky(not meant as a slam) offense, we have come up with a special defensive scheme for that week.

This has spelled disaster for NDSU in the past(see Cal-Poly 2005). Sometime we are best suited by playing our base defense and letting our athletes make plays.

Unfortunately, an offense like GSU forces you to have a special scheme just for them. This gets people thinking too much instead of making plays and excentuates the speed that GSU already has because our guys are thinking about their assignment and not playing fast.

IMO this is why the TO works so well, because it negates athletes who are too busy thinking and not playing.

NDSU has smart players who will pick up the defense the coaches put in place very quickly, so I know they'll be prepared to play fast.

Wilson16
December 14th, 2011, 12:13 PM
So then I can tell you to ****** off then ... perhaps you may think women don't belong talking about football ... Oh and by the way I thought you guys were men not boys

Never said you shouldn't talk about football did I????? I asked you why you come on here and rip people (I believe it was "ftards") for talking about women/strip clubs and your avitar (which i like by the way) is of a person scantily clad like a stripper (and a tagline that says ("well behaved women seldom make history"). It was a logical question for someone who said they'd beat the crap out of anyone that talked about women. Typical though .... you want it both ways.

And I really don't care if I get ripped for for running off a girl as it was a simple question.

F'N Hawks
December 14th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Our front 7 are athletic and Heagle (SS) is going to be close to the line for run support. Their Oline is small so we'll see how we match up against them. NDSU's defense is very good and IMO...they will slow down GSU into 3 and outs. GSU will get some rushing yards but NO WAY they come into the FD and rush all over us.

IMO, our Oline has a big advantage over their dline.

Bison win this 35-21
I don't think you understand how the triple option works. If the defense is not lined up right initally they are in trouble. I don't care how good you think your players are, if they are lined up wrong they are going to get pushed around. Its all angles with those offenses.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2011, 12:14 PM
CSJ's preview:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/78-college-sports-journal/david-coulson/144-georgia-southern-north-dakota-state-ready-to-meet-again

STATESBORO, GA. — Five years ago, when Georgia Southern and North Dakota State met for the first time, then-GSU coach Brian VanGorder looked at NDSU after suffering a 34-14 loss at Paulson Stadium with admiration.

"I look at North Dakota State and that's where we're headed, big, strong, 300-pound offensive linemen, big defensive tackles," Van Gorder drooled. "We had a hard time with these guys."

In reality, Georgia Southern had to go back to the future, Christopher Lloyd-style, to regain its place as one of the elite teams in the Football Championship Subdivision, relying on quick, nimble offensive linemen as it has reintroduced the triple option to its tradition-rich program.

Bison06
December 14th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I don't think you understand how the triple option works. If the defense is not lined up right initally they are in trouble. I don't care how good you think your players are, if they are lined up wrong they are going to get pushed around. Its all angles with those offenses.

Any offense will run all over you if you don't line up correctly. Defensive line penetration spells disaster for this offense and I think we will be able to achieve that on Saturday.

F'N Hawks
December 14th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Any offense will run all over you if you don't line up correctly. Defensive line penetration spells disaster for this offense and I think we will be able to achieve that on Saturday.

I am interested to see how they line up on Saturday, in what defensive formation. Will be a great game to watch.

LakesBison
I predict a great win for ndsu. JMU had a great run attack NDSU shut that down.
lehigh was all world passing attack NDSU shut that down.
georgia so has the triple option NDSU will shut that down.

Bison Fan in NW MN

That is why we will be fine against this TO. Our front 7 are athletic to fight off the cut blocks of their Oline. Heagle is a very good run supporter and our CBs are athletic.

We wont completely shut them down but if our offense can control the clock and keep them off the field, we have a very good chance of winning.

The TO is not invincible or Air Force/Georgia Tech would be NCs every year.

geoff
December 14th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Throw all stats out the window.

No way possible either team scores more than 27. Both defenses boast bend but don't break. Both run the ball and this will equate to lower than AVERAGE score on both sides.

HAIL THE BISON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Throw all stats out the window.

No way possible either team scores more than 27. Both defenses boast bend but don't break. Both run the ball and this will equate to lower than AVERAGE score on both sides.

HAIL THE BISON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The over/under is 51 you may be right.

SpiritCymbal
December 14th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I really like that over 51 in this game. A lot.

Ivytalk
December 14th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I'll pick GSU by 4, 28-24.

gataeagles7
December 14th, 2011, 12:33 PM
I'm so ready for this game. This will be the toughest game of the year. We're down to the Final 4.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 14th, 2011, 12:34 PM
I'm so ready for this game. This will be the toughest game of the year. We're down to the Final 4.

If NDSU still ran the veer this game would be over in 2 hours.....

AshevilleApp2
December 14th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Ya'll need to get busy, or this thread will never reach 2000 posts.

gataeagles7
December 14th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Our front 7 are athletic and Heagle (SS) is going to be close to the line for run support. Their Oline is small so we'll see how we match up against them. NDSU's defense is very good and IMO...they will slow down GSU into 3 and outs.

Don't wanna go John Madden on you but this is the D's goal. It hasn't happened to us a lot this year. We've been held to 15 (2 of those were 4-and-outs against App) 3-and-outs and punted 29 times all year.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Don't wanna go John Madden on you but this is the D's goal. It hasn't happened to us a lot this year. We've been held to 15 (2 of those were 4-and-outs against App) 3-and-outs and punted 29 times all year.

Your punt statistics are a little skewed because of the aforementioned 4th down plays.

gataeagles7
December 14th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Your punt statistics are a little skewed because of the aforementioned 4th down plays.

10 for 20 on the year for 4th downs.

robsnotes4u
December 14th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Everyone is talking about GSU and Alabama, but what about the 14-12 game against the citadel? Who? Their record was an impressive 4-7. Now if they can hold the unstoppable GSU TO, what can the Bison do?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 12:51 PM
10 for 20 on the year for 4th downs.

That, to me, would still be too low a percentage to do it. I'm really glad our kicking game allows us to play field position.

Seven Would Be Nice
December 14th, 2011, 12:53 PM
The over/under is 51 you may be right.

48-3, GSU? ;)

gasou4389
December 14th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Everyone is talking about GSU and Alabama, but what about the 14-12 game against the citadel? Who? Their record was an impressive 4-7. Now if they can hold the unstoppable GSU TO, what can the Bison do?

The Citadel faces the TO in practice every day. Next.

GSC75
December 14th, 2011, 12:57 PM

..yeah, I was there... 'bout all I can say is this GSU team ain't the same team that played the Citadel... but I like the way you think and hope the Bison think the same way.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 01:00 PM
..yeah, I was there... 'bout all I can say is this GSU team ain't the same team that played the Citadel... but I like the way you think and hope the Bison think the same way.

Guess what? NDSU isn't the same team that lost to YSU either.

Seven Would Be Nice
December 14th, 2011, 01:02 PM
That, to me, would still be too low a percentage to do it. I'm really glad our kicking game allows us to play field position.

It's not like we always go for it on 4th. If we are at midfield or better, we go for it. If we are 4th and 1 on their 15, depending on the score, we go for it vs kicking the FG. If we do decide to punt, we a very good about pinning people within the 5.

gataeagles7
December 14th, 2011, 01:03 PM

Our football team decided to take a week off during the middle of the year from Saturday 10/29 - Saturday 11/5.

FWIW, 3 of those unconverted attempts were in 4th quarter blowouts.

BisonBabe
December 14th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Never said you shouldn't talk about football did I????? I asked you why you come on here and rip people (I believe it was "ftards") for talking about women/strip clubs and your avitar (which i like by the way) is of a person scantily clad like a stripper (and a tagline that says ("well behaved women seldom make history"). It was a logical question for someone who said they'd beat the crap out of anyone that talked about women. Typical though .... you want it both ways.

And I really don't care if I get ripped for for running off a girl as it was a simple question.

Good Grief did you even read what I posted .... xbangxxbangxxbangxxbangx

Perhaps you have problem reading...I never had a problem with the strip club conversation (check out Bisonville and you will find I started a bikini thread over there).I even posted on here I have gone to strip clubs..I took issue with those who were doing the classless put downs of women ....

Most of the old crew that new me when I use to frequent the board more often knows I am cool with pics of women or men for that matter but not with insults such as were thrown around by more than one.

And as for my tag line & signature what the hell does that have to do with anything.

robsnotes4u
December 14th, 2011, 01:09 PM

Agree, and numbers don't lie. Check out the stats in that game, http://citadelsports.com/sports/fball/2011-12/box_scores/20111105_hrdj.xml, and let us know how they are unstoppable.

Shouldn't matter if they practice against it everyday, everyone touts it as perfect and unstoppable. As a UND student in the 80's I can remember the Bison killing us. We always thought it was going good early, but then the size of the line, both lines, eventually demoralized us. Big, Fast, and disciplined. That tradition lives on. GSU will get sick of getting hit, and find it very hard to get off the carpet. You will leave feeling punch drunk.

Just wish it was like the 80's. Outside, 40 below zero, a bottle of schnapps, and the game over by half so we could head to the bar. Only bad thing, I was always on the losing side.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Agree, and numbers don't lie. Check out the stats in that game, http://citadelsports.com/sports/fball/2011-12/box_scores/20111105_hrdj.xml, and let us know how they are unstoppable.

Shouldn't matter if they practice against it everyday, everyone touts it as perfect and unstoppable. As a UND student in the 80's I can remember the Bison killing us. We always thought it was going good early, but then the size of the line, both lines, eventually demoralized us. Big, Fast, and disciplined. That tradition lives on. GSU will get sick of getting hit, and find it very hard to get off the carpet. You will leave feeling punch drunk.

Just wish it was like the 80's. Outside, 40 below zero, a bottle of schnapps, and the game over by half so we could head to the bar. Only bad thing, I was always on the losing side.

Don't let Lakes see this, he doesn't know there was a Bison team before 2002

robsnotes4u
December 14th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I think it is going to be an awesome game. A coin flip. The real challenge will be playing Montana. Hope whoever wins is healthy for the championship.

BisonBabe
December 14th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Don't let Lakes see this, he doesn't know there was a Bison team before 2002

Most likely too late

cue Lakes in 3...2....1....

SpiritCymbal
December 14th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Vegas line has already moved from NDSU -7 to NDSU -3. Either there was a ton of quick action on that line or they posted the wrong line to start off with. I think 3 points is just about right on this game.

BisonBabe
December 14th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Vegas line has already moved from NDSU -7 to NDSU -3. Either there was a ton of quick action on that line or they posted the wrong line to start off with. I think 3 points is just about right on this game.

Agreed 2 very capable teams meeting up this weekend. But in the end there can only be 1

ChiefGSU275
December 14th, 2011, 01:34 PM
So...if the NDSU defense is so quick and athletic, and their coaches are so knowledgeable about the TO, and we won't be able to stop the NDSU's offensive ball control...why are we even playing this game?

Good game NDSU. Good luck in Frisco!

CC Eagle
December 14th, 2011, 01:36 PM

Shouldn't matter if they practice against it everyday, everyone touts it as perfect and unstoppable.

The only people that ever tout it as perfect and unstoppable are opponents who are feeling a little scared and go diving into stats and old film to find a reason to bash the offense.

FargoBison
December 14th, 2011, 01:38 PM
So...if the NDSU defense is so quick and athletic, and their coaches are so knowledgeable about the TO, and we won't be able to stop the NDSU's offensive ball control...why are we even playing this game?

Good game NDSU. Good luck in Frisco!

Finally GSU fans are starting to get it! xsmileyclapx ;)

GSUhooligan
December 14th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Dead wrong! We had between 75-100 @ that game...I know as I was the 1 screaming who's house in the fourth quarter!

We'll have more than that. Our base travels pretty well for a bunch of broke teachers and farmers. I've been to two extreme distance games; Northeastern 2005 and Colorado St 2007. We almost outnumbered NU fans in Boston (which isn't hard to do I know) and had CSU fans tell me that we brought more fans than half the MWC teams bring.

Dgreenwell3
December 14th, 2011, 02:04 PM
1,349 posts later and this is still a gigantic pissing match...

BisonBabe
December 14th, 2011, 02:04 PM
We'll have more than that. Our base travels pretty well for a bunch of broke teachers and farmers. I've been to two extreme distance games; Northeastern 2005 and Colorado St 2007. We almost outnumbered NU fans in Boston (which isn't hard to do I know) and had CSU fans tell me that we brought more fans than half the MWC teams bring.

So you are saying that you will be here?

GSC75
December 14th, 2011, 02:06 PM

I agree..... did I say it was? but along that line ... and just what changes have you guys made? I'm not just talking about GD experience.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 02:09 PM
I agree..... did I say it was? but along that line ... and just what changes have you guys made? I'm not just talking about GD experience.

Health. Lots and lots of health. Our QB had turf toe and our main running back had a nagging heel injury. Those two issues cleared up nicely in the bye week. On defense, just a lot of clarity and humility and focus.

FargoBison
December 14th, 2011, 02:10 PM

Our nose guard came back, the back up was NG was playing hurt. Once we got him back our interior run defense was much better and the back up could go back to his normal 20-30 plays a game.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Our nose guard came back, the back up was NG was playing hurt. Once we got him back our interior run defense was much better and the back up could go back to his normal 20-30 plays a game.

Dumb, I completely forgot about Drevlow for a minute. That was huge.

GSUhooligan
December 14th, 2011, 02:18 PM
So you are saying that you will be here?

I will. Arriving Friday around noon.

Ginsbach
December 14th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Check out the Beartooth and Going-to-the-Sun highways if you make it out this way again. Stretches of asphalt you won't soon forget.

Going-to-the-Sun Highway is one of my favorite stretches of road. It's so beautiful.

ID-75 from Challis to Stanley, ID is another one of my favorites. You follow the Salmon River through the valleys and as soon as you get out of it the Sawtooth Mountains are looming right in front of you.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Incidentally, this has to stay the GDT too, just to see how many pages it goes.

Professor Chaos
December 14th, 2011, 02:26 PM

It's tough to overstate how important Drevlow has been to our D-line this year. He was also out for the WIU game and they gashed the Bison run defense as well, it's just that they were a much poorer passing team than YSU was therefore NDSU still won easily. With Drevlow back for the playoffs the run D has been stout. They haven't been tested this year to the extent that GSU will bring but they've passed every test so far.

robsnotes4u
December 14th, 2011, 02:43 PM
The only people that ever tout it as perfect and unstoppable are opponents who are feeling a little scared and go diving into stats and old film to find a reason to bash the offense.

NICE. Not bashing. Watched NDSU run it for years, very successfully. Unfortunately if it was the best, then I would expect the New England Patriots to run it and they don't. Why don't you see the FBS or pro teams using it? Simple, the higher you go up the ladder, the faster the overall defense is. Defensive speed kills that offense.

Whether NDSU has enough overall speed through the whole line up will determine the outcome.

It will be an interesting game, especially watching the third quarter after half time adjustments.

I hope GSU attempts a lot of fourth down conversions. If NDSU wins the field position game, GSU will be playing catch up

GSC75
December 14th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Yep we got a few injuries back to 100%, too - Wilcox made a huge statement last week and the best off-field news, our free safety who broke his neck earlier in the season has the HALO off after three months and is travelling with the team. He was a huge loss to our D, but just having him on the sidelines has given the team a boost. We've flipped a few players around which has made the biggest difference ... but I ain't lettin' any secrets out. Keep an eye on #1, special kid. BTW, we try not to pass :)... but like a former coach says, "When we do... we mean it!"

FIDO-GATA
December 14th, 2011, 02:53 PM
NICE. Not bashing. Watched NDSU run it for years, very successfully. Unfortunately if it was the best, then I would expect the New England Patriots to run it and they don't. Why don't you see the FBS or pro teams using it? Simple, the higher you go up the ladder, the faster the overall defense is. Defensive speed kills that offense.

Or maybe millionaires and future millionaires don't like getting hit like our guys do play after play. You have to be willing to take a beating and keep getting up to run our offense.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Or maybe millionaires and future millionaires don't like getting hit like our guys do play after play. You have to be willing to take a beating and keep getting up to run our offense.

What a great matchup. The Bison D loves hitting people, so does the Fargodome floor!

FIDO-GATA
December 14th, 2011, 02:57 PM
What a great matchup. The Bison D loves hitting people, so does the Fargodome floor!

What you need to hope for is that they hit the right people.

eagle07
December 14th, 2011, 03:25 PM
27 mins and no posts? the gerbil on the wheel must have stopped running and cut power to all of north dakota!

The Brief
December 14th, 2011, 03:25 PM

Bingo. And the fact that Peyton Manning runs an 8.4 in the 40.

gsueagle2424
December 14th, 2011, 03:30 PM

I love how you guys brag about how old and *****ty the Fargo dome is....If people in ND are so rich and everyone has a job why don't you upgrade the damn turf, this isn't Division 2 anymore boys and you will find that out Saturday.

Vitojr130
December 14th, 2011, 03:31 PM
27 mins and no posts? the gerbil on the wheel must have stopped running and cut power to all of north dakota!

So does that mean that Georgia just doesn't have power to begin with?

The Brief
December 14th, 2011, 03:34 PM
So does that mean that Georgia just doesn't have power to begin with?

It comes and goes depending on if it's raining or not. Damn Georgia Power.

FargoBison
December 14th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I love how you guys brag about how old and *****ty the Fargo dome is....If people in ND are so rich and everyone has a job why don't you upgrade the damn turf, this isn't Division 2 anymore boys and you will find that out Saturday.

This is the last game that will ever be played on that turf....

Vitojr130
December 14th, 2011, 03:42 PM
This is the last game that will ever be played on that turf....

There's a reason why ND has more money than GA. Fiscal responsibility: only buy things when you need to.

Bear1
December 14th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Thats because there is nothing to do but fornacate. Everyone saves there money to pay for there kids teenage pregnancy. Its a much rate in ND as well.

Vitojr130
December 14th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Thats because there is nothing to do but fornacate. Everyone saves there money to pay for there kids teenage pregnancy. Its a much rate in ND as well.

Umm, what?

Southern Bison
December 14th, 2011, 03:53 PM
1,349 posts later and this is still a gigantic pissing match...

I've been drinking a lot of water...and beer to stay hydrated!

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Umm, what?

I'm surprised you got by all the spelling errors.

Vitojr130
December 14th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I'm surprised you got by all the spelling errors.
I overlooked them in an attempt to sympathize, but when I reached that last part I couldn't even make out what he was trying to say. I'm not trying to be a dick about it. I honestly could not figure out what that "sentence" was trying to say.

The Brief
December 14th, 2011, 03:59 PM

Umm, what?

I'll help you out. Georgia has one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the country. So we have no money, because parents (I guess grandparents) have to spend all their money on not only supporting their sixteen year old daughter, but also the child. Mainly because the fine outstanding 22 yearold father is a good-for-nothing unemployed tattooed d-bag who spend all of his time and money either getting drunk, high, or methed up. Welcome to Georgia in a nutshell ladies and gentlemen. Also, I have no idea what he meant as his last sentence.

Vitojr130
December 14th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I'll help you out. Georgia has one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the country. So we have no money, because parents (I guess grandparents) have to spend all their money on not only supporting their sixteen year old daughter, but also the child. Mainly because the fine outstanding 22 yearold father is a good-for-nothing unemployed tattooed d-bag who spend all of his time and money either getting drunk, high, or methed up. Welcome to Georgia in a nutshell ladies and gentlemen. Also, I have no idea what he meant as his last sentence.

Uh oh, maybe they should be handing out free condoms like they do at NDSU... And it's good to know that not even GSU supporters could understand what Bear tried to say.

The Brief
December 14th, 2011, 04:05 PM
The whole pregnancy epidemic dies out when we get into college. It's really like a rite of passage. Get through high school without having a child and you actually have a chance in the world.

LakesBison
December 14th, 2011, 04:39 PM
how is this not at 1700 posts and #1 by now.

I predict if this is the GDT that there will be 2500. BOOM>

dam warm out today in fargo, like 40!! dayum!!

FIDO-GATA
December 14th, 2011, 04:39 PM
:)It just got really depressing in here. So how about another who has the hottest girls debate.

LakesBison
December 14th, 2011, 04:41 PM
no, my hot lady yelled at me yesterday for that.

you could all POS rep me and get me out of the red?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 04:49 PM
no, my hot lady yelled at me yesterday for that.

you could all POS rep me and get me out of the red?

Sad, it won't let me down-rep you again. I must spread some rep around.

darell1976
December 14th, 2011, 04:58 PM

Same here.xthumbsupx

Vitojr130
December 14th, 2011, 05:06 PM

Haha AGS just said, "Thank you for removing rep from this user." hahahha

LakesBison
December 14th, 2011, 05:12 PM
WOO HOO. all 4 of you can jerk each other off. Darrel will take it all. congrats

The Brief
December 14th, 2011, 05:14 PM
"LakesBison can only hope to improve", haaaa.

Vitojr130
December 14th, 2011, 05:14 PM
WOO HOO. all 4 of you can jerk each other off. Darrel will take it all. congrats

You bring it on yourself... If you were to say something about the game that isn't all in your face towards GSU and actually make our fan base look intelligent, I might actually up-rep you...

darell1976
December 14th, 2011, 05:16 PM

I love your comment you sent me on my rep Lakes...my response to that is "no thanks".

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 05:17 PM

acutally I believe the only reason he is down 1 red is because we can't rep him anymore. only a few of us care enough to do so.

Southern Bison
December 14th, 2011, 05:33 PM
If we all pitch in, can he earn enough red to be booted?

LakesBison
December 14th, 2011, 05:33 PM
dude i am above all of you. I DONT CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NDSU wins this game by 3 TD's if NDSU doesnt get conservative!!

Vitojr130
December 14th, 2011, 05:35 PM

Which is how they have played all season, so why would they change it?

NDSU: 27
GSU: 24

X-Factor
December 14th, 2011, 05:36 PM

You sound like UNIgriff or Apphole

This game will be close. One for the ages. Too bad it isn't the NC matchup.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 05:37 PM
If we all pitch in, can he earn enough red to be booted?

Probably not. You gotta hand it to Cleets and ursus....the banhammer is quite light around here. Annoying doesn't get you banned. Like I said, he's more of a chew toy, when you're bored just ignore.

:D I'm not bored yet.

GaSouthern
December 14th, 2011, 05:43 PM
:)It just got really depressing in here. So how about another who has the hottest girls debate.

you can browse amateur models at each school through modelmayhem.com, I once frequented that site with a female friend of mine to help get the word out about her, lots of hotties in there.

FIDO-GATA
December 14th, 2011, 05:45 PM

With this same logic.......GSU by 100 TDs! xconfusedx

Da Bison
December 14th, 2011, 05:49 PM
MMX
Georgia Southern Est Novus Ordo Seclorum
GSU Home Records vs Opponents:
App 7-3 Furman 8-3 UCF 5-1 MTSU 4-1 USF 1-0
Cit 11-1 WCU 11-0 Chatt 12-1 Elon 5-1 Woffy 3-5 Del 1-0
Jax St 4-0 JMU 4-0 SCSU 4-0 FAMU 3-1 Uconn 1-0 Montana 1-0 NDSU 0-1:D

Fixed your sig line for you

LakesBison
December 14th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Your DTs and DEs have to play disciplined assignment football "from the inside out"....keep the shoulders parrallel, close down the gaps by not letting the o-linemen in front of them block down without closing the hole, be patient and wait on the QB to come to you before committing....if you play smart, keeping your shoulders parrallel to the LOS and don't overcommit nor overpursue, you can force the TO outside and your linebackers and corners can have a field day....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

GaSouthern
December 14th, 2011, 05:50 PM
MMX
Georgia Southern Est Novus Ordo Seclorum
GSU Home Records vs Opponents:
App 7-3 Furman 8-3 UCF 5-1 MTSU 4-1 USF 1-0
Cit 11-1 WCU 11-0 Chatt 12-1 Elon 5-1 Woffy 3-5 Del 1-0
Jax St 4-0 JMU 4-0 SCSU 4-0 FAMU 3-1 Uconn 1-0 Montana 1-0 NDSU 0-1*

Fixed your sig line for you
FIFY
*we played vagina football in 2006. :D

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 05:53 PM
FIFY

Just a little teasing, really. We are not so far removed from a super terrible season that we don't understand.

GaSouthern
December 14th, 2011, 05:59 PM
yeah I've only seen us get dominated at home once in my life and it was NDSU in 2006, i'll never forget it

We can blame our season on our AD firing one of the top 3 most succcessful coaches we've ever had after making the playoffs xeyebrowx His one big fault was terrible defense and APR issues though. So we scrapped our offense and proceeded to have the worst record in our schools history the next year in 2006.

CC Eagle
December 14th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Your DTs and DEs have to play disciplined assignment football "from the inside out"....keep the shoulders parrallel, close down the gaps by not letting the o-linemen in front of them block down without closing the hole, be patient and wait on the QB to come to you before committing....if you play smart, keeping your shoulders parrallel to the LOS and don't overcommit nor overpursue, you can force the TO outside and your linebackers and corners can have a field day....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agreed.... Too bad the game is played on the field and not in lengthy run-on sentences.

FIDO-GATA
December 14th, 2011, 06:04 PM
yeah I've only seen us get dominated at home once in my life and it was NDSU in 2006, i'll never forget it

We can blame our season on our AD firing one of the top 3 most succcessful coaches we've ever had after making the playoffs xeyebrowx His one big fault was terrible defense and APR issues though. So we scrapped our offense and proceeded to have the worst record in our schools history the next year in 2006.

2004 was one of our best defenses in history.

GaSouthern
December 14th, 2011, 06:14 PM
2004 was one of our best defenses in history.

That was an AWESOME season until the last two games :(

FIDO-GATA
December 14th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Well the second to last game we beat FIU but yeah that first round game SUCKED!

CC Eagle
December 14th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I've had enough of the topical discussions on tailgating, venues, food, climate, etc....

Let met try to push this thread through the valley of lovey-dovey crap and get things going downhill again.

Here are my honest to goodness thoughts on Saturday:

NDSU is good. VERY good. They are one of the best teams GSU has faced in awhile and, what's more, they're one of the most balanced to boot. They're stadium is loud, a million miles from home, and will cause some problems. NDSU has a proud tradition that it wants to expand into the FCS world and has a team that is fully capable of doing it.

That's enough love for the Bison. 1.) Because it almost made me puke writing all of that and pretending to acknowledge D-II titles, and 2.) Because - come Saturday - none of it will be enough.

Georgia Southern is the real deal and plenty more on top of that. The offense has been on a personal war against humanity for the better part of two months and the defense - while suspect in our two playoff games - is better than advertised and is facing an offense that will allow it to play to its biggest strengths.

Georgia Southern is too fast - both in foot speed and in execution - for NDSU to handle. Countless opponents have given us the "just wait til you see our fast defense" argument, and all of them end up gassed and flailing at air in the second half.

The biggest talking point NDSU fans seem to have come up with since Saturday is that the triple option can't be that great since App St. beat GSU and the Citadel played us close. Those are only relevant points until you look at the stats behind the games. I won't make any bones about it - the TO is an offense that will kill you if you don't execute. Against the Citadel, GSU didn't do anything right. Pitches hit the ground and easy passes flew off line. The dirty secret of the TO is that - no matter how great it can look - it's nearly impossible to run perfectly in every game. Of course, bringing up the Citadel game seems to be a moot point as whatever infallible system NDSU employs was not only slowed down, but summarily beaten - at home - by a team that didn't even make the playoffs.

As for App St., there isn't much to say. App St. knows our playbook and played it perfectly for 60 minutes. GSU missed some opportunities and probably got the short end of a call or two, but the fact remains that App was up to the task. We ran into a buzz saw. A team with comparable speed and a lot of familiarity played - by far - its best game of the year, at home, against us. App forced some awkward play calls and came up big in countless pivotal plays and GSU still only fell short by a big play or two.

That App St. analysis is what NDSU fans should pay attention to.... Speed is what GSU kills teams with. Not only is App much faster as a team, but it also knows what is coming when they line up against the Eagles. You Bison might have a coach that played in and coached some bastard mutation of the flexbone option 20 years ago, but that won't help you at all come Saturday. The GSU defense will hold its own (if Lehigh turns you over that much, we can at least hold serve) and the offense will continue to roll.

The Bison D is fast, talented, and (I'd assume) well-coached.... That's great. Take a number and get in line behind every other good defense that comes up short against a hot GSU offense.

straightshooter
December 14th, 2011, 06:40 PM

Are you suggesting that the Bison players don't ever hit the Fargodome floor? It will hurt them just as much as it might hurt a GSU player. Rest assured that the Eagles will have the proper shoes to maintain, even increase their speed and protection to ward off abrasions and bruises caused by the floor.

CC Eagle
December 14th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Are you suggesting that the Bison players don't ever hit the Fargodome floor? It will hurt them just as much as it might hurt a GSU player. Rest assured that the Eagles will have the proper shoes to maintain, even increase their speed and protection to ward off abrasions and bruises caused by the floor.

NDSU is obviously impervious to the Fargodome cement... and cut blocks... and 4.4 speed... and Brent Russell... and offenses that they haven't seen since facing the half-speed Nichols St. version of it a few years back.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I've had enough of the topical discussions on tailgating, venues, food, climate, etc....

Let met try to push this thread through the valley of lovey-dovey crap and get things going downhill again.

Here are my honest to goodness thoughts on Saturday:

NDSU is good. VERY good. They are one of the best teams GSU has faced in awhile and, what's more, they're one of the most balanced to boot. They're stadium is loud, a million miles from home, and will cause some problems. NDSU has a proud tradition that it wants to expand into the FCS world and has a team that is fully capable of doing it.

That's enough love for the Bison. 1.) Because it almost made me puke writing all of that and pretending to acknowledge D-II titles, and 2.) Because - come Saturday - none of it will be enough.

Georgia Southern is the real deal and plenty more on top of that. The offense has been on a personal war against humanity for the better part of two months and the defense - while suspect in our two playoff games - is better than advertised and is facing an offense that will allow it to play to its biggest strengths.

Georgia Southern is too fast - both in foot speed and in execution - for NDSU to handle. Countless opponents have given us the "just wait til you see our fast defense" argument, and all of them end up gassed and flailing at air in the second half.

The biggest talking point NDSU fans seem to have come up with since Saturday is that the triple option can't be that great since App St. beat GSU and the Citadel played us close. Those are only relevant points until you look at the stats behind the games. I won't make any bones about it - the TO is an offense that will kill you if you don't execute. Against the Citadel, GSU didn't do anything right. Pitches hit the ground and easy passes flew off line. The dirty secret of the TO is that - no matter how great it can look - it's nearly impossible to run perfectly in every game. Of course, bringing up the Citadel game seems to be a moot point as whatever infallible system NDSU employs was not only slowed down, but summarily beaten - at home - by a team that didn't even make the playoffs.

As for App St., there isn't much to say. App St. knows our playbook and played it perfectly for 60 minutes. GSU missed some opportunities and probably got the short end of a call or two, but the fact remains that App was up to the task. We ran into a buzz saw. A team with comparable speed and a lot of familiarity played - by far - its best game of the year, at home, against us. App forced some awkward play calls and came up big in countless pivotal plays and GSU still only fell short by a big play or two.

That App St. analysis is what NDSU fans should pay attention to.... Speed is what GSU kills teams with. Not only is App much faster as a team, but it also knows what is coming when they line up against the Eagles. You Bison might have a coach that played in and coached some bastard mutation of the flexbone option 20 years ago, but that won't help you at all come Saturday. The GSU defense will hold its own (if Lehigh turns you over that much, we can at least hold serve) and the offense will continue to roll.

The Bison D is fast, talented, and (I'd assume) well-coached.... That's great. Take a number and get in line behind every other good defense that comes up short against a hot GSU offense.

Well I guess since you used so many words, your points are absolutely valid. I can tell you this, though

This defense is mean, strong fast and will spend more time in your backfield than your quarterback. When your runners hit the ground they will hit the ground with 500-600 lbs on top of them and a thin piece of carpet and concrete below them. The reason the floor doesn't affect the Bison quarterbacks too much is because of the 1200 lbs of meat in front of them that prevents that from happening.

Youngstown pissed this team off, they have played mean, strong and healthy since then. They have turned back 2 Payton finalists already. Every offense that comes into the Fargodome saying "we're going to blow the Bison up" gets absolutely shut down. We would have beaten any of the playoff teams this year. Including the two you got by. They aren't scared of GSU, not intimidated by the spotlight, and not the least bit unprepared against anything. This is still football. 11 on a side, nobody is a ninja or superman. Seal off the edge and push it inside. When you're inside, say hi to Ryan Drevlow for me, he will be the one pulling your arms off.

Gassed? Ask Tirrell Rennie who's gassed at the end of the game. This defense is deep and specializes in wearing opponents out, often before the game is over.

I cannot wait for Saturday.

eaglesrthe1
December 14th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Yeah right up until this happens / someone on defense misses an assignment...
You'll want to view this in full screen mode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q27Vb05cJ8U

Thing is, nobody misses an assignment. The 3O is designed to get numerical advantage. It's about the execution. If the offense wins the blocking assignment, it goes to the house. If someone on the defense sheds/beats the block, then the tackle can be made. But, the defender still has to make the tackle.

Whichever side the defense declares is the stong side, the 3O will go away from it.

X-Factor
December 14th, 2011, 07:11 PM
FIFY

I think the GSU fanbase drank the BVG koolaid as much as the Gopher fanbase drank the Brewster koolaid.

FIDO-GATA
December 14th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Well I guess since you used so many words, your points are absolutely valid. I can tell you this, though

This defense is mean, strong fast and will spend more time in your backfield than your quarterback. When your runners hit the ground they will hit the ground with 500-600 lbs on top of them and a thin piece of carpet and concrete below them. The reason the floor doesn't affect the Bison quarterbacks too much is because of the 1200 lbs of meat in front of them that prevents that from happening.

Youngstown pissed this team off, they have played mean, strong and healthy since then. They have turned back 2 Payton finalists already. Every offense that comes into the Fargodome saying "we're going to blow the Bison up" gets absolutely shut down. We would have beaten any of the playoff teams this year. Including the two you got by. They aren't scared of GSU, not intimidated by the spotlight, and not the least bit unprepared against anything. This is still football. 11 on a side, nobody is a ninja or superman. Seal off the edge and push it inside. When you're inside, say hi to Ryan Drevlow for me, he will be the one pulling your arms off.

Gassed? Ask Tirrell Rennie who's gassed at the end of the game. This defense is deep and specializes in wearing opponents out, often before the game is over.

If you knew that much about football you would know that defenses don't wear out a team; Offenses do.

GaSouthern
December 14th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I think the GSU fanbase drank the BVG koolaid as much as the Gopher fanbase drank the Brewster koolaid.

What year was that? I assume another "one and done" nightmare?

FIDO-GATA
December 14th, 2011, 07:22 PM

No one drank that kool aid. That's why he left like a thief in the night.

robsnotes4u
December 14th, 2011, 07:22 PM
What is three over/under on GSU turnovers? 4?

the turnovers and egotistical idea of going for it on fourth down will give the Bison short field opportunities. You will need to pass the ball or run out of time as you play catch up.

straightshooter
December 14th, 2011, 07:28 PM

That's all well and good, but hear this and hear it loudly. GSU will not blink either. The NDSU DL guys are going to have their knees cut out from under them play after play after play, as are the LB, CB and S in run support on the edge. You simply cannot teach your scout team to duplicate that in the week leading up to a game. The B-back is at the LB level in less than a second from the snap on the dive, and it only takes a DL guy getting disrupted a little for the back to be past him. The other offenses that NDSU have defended over the season are more adept at giving their backs time to read blocks and look for holes. GSU will run the option like none you've ever seen. Their's is very different from what Cal Poly ran and even what Nebraska ran for decades. The schemes are simply not alike. GSU will run it from under center and from the pistol. Monken plays a game of punch/counterpunch. The offense takes what the defense gives it by having Shaw find the weak spot in the defense. It's one thing to say that you've got every skill guy covered and another to do it while being blocked. The Maine defense said it best. "no matter what we did, they always seemed to have one more guy out there."

I have no doubt that the NDSU defenders are tough and fast, but it might be that they're fast when compared to who they've played so far. Trust me...there's a different speed coming to the Dome on Saturday. The JMU offense moved at a snail's pace when compared to the GSU option.

If NDSU can run with GSU they'll have a great chance to win this game, but most teams find the Eagles to be a step or two faster in an offense that is very difficult to defend.

CC Eagle
December 14th, 2011, 07:31 PM
This defense is mean, strong fast and will spend more time in your backfield than your quarterback. When your runners hit the ground they will hit the ground with 500-600 lbs on top of them and a thin piece of carpet and concrete below them.

Go ahead and visit YouTube and check out all of the GSU highlights you can. I'd post them for you, but you Bison fans are so f***in' whiny you'd probably cry foul and say that I was just showing the good stuff.

If you actually do take a look, don't watch for the big plays or the speed. Just pay attention to the plays that don't go for touchdowns. Go ahead and take note of how many defenders are making the play. When it's downfield and ball carriers are weaving through blocks, defenders can catch up and tackle in bunches. However, when defenses play it well and string things out, there's often only 1 guy left to make the stop before serious yardage gets racked up.

The only time you'll have 600 lbs. on top of a ball carrier is if you stuff the fullback dive.

... or if a GSU player takes a liking for your mom.

eaglesrthe1
December 14th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Of course they didn't get Alabama's best effort, that's the way it is when you play FBS teams. I doubt we got Minnesota's best effort either.

If GSU fans think they played the same Alabama team that played LSU earlier in the year they are dilusional.

The second possesion after the half was a 13 play 8+ minute drive. It resulted in no points because GSU went for it on 4th down instead of kicking a field goal. GSU started at the 20 got inside the 10.

The same thing happened to GSU that happens a lot the time when a FCS plays an FBS. They don't have the same depth, and it shows up eventually.

fencereagle
December 14th, 2011, 07:41 PM
uhh... excuse me for being a tad confused... I've been led to believe that NDSU had a 'shutdown' defense against the running game. How is it then that your opponents (which I presume were in no way teams specializing in rushing) managed to run enough against the D so that the avg opponent rush yards per carry is 3.5? 3.5 yards per carry is a recipe for a loss against GSU. Anyone got an answer for that?

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205268213&DB_OEM_ID=2400

gataeagles7
December 14th, 2011, 07:46 PM

What is three over/under on GSU turnovers? 4?

the turnovers and egotistical idea of going for it on fourth down will give the Bison short field opportunities. You will need to pass the ball or run out of time as you play catch up.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/entries/icons/original/000/007/707/you-must-be-new-here-willy-wonka.jpg?1322246137

Longhorn
December 14th, 2011, 07:54 PM
uhh... excuse me for being a tad confused... I've been led to believe that NDSU had a 'shutdown' defense against the running game. How is it then that your opponents (which I presume were in no way teams specializing in rushing)

..nah, JMU doesn't run the ball much...xcrazyx

straightshooter
December 14th, 2011, 07:57 PM
uhh... excuse me for being a tad confused... I've been led to believe that NDSU had a 'shutdown' defense against the running game. How is it then that your opponents (which I presume were in no way teams specializing in rushing) managed to run enough against the D so that the avg opponent rush yards per carry is 3.5? 3.5 yards per carry is a recipe for a loss against GSU. Anyone got an answer for that?

You know I spent a bit of time watching the UNI/NDSU game, and in doing so, I got to see a couple of teams with really big guys pretty much leaning on each other all day. Little Wofford College rolled into Iowa and put something like 457 yards of offense on the Panthers. Granted they didn't win the game, but that had to be an eye popping number for those guys, and it should be one for Bison fans as well. Wofford runs the option too. Not as well as GSU, because GSU can pass the ball too.

Dgreenwell3
December 14th, 2011, 08:02 PM

Are you kidding? Under four yards a carry and running the ball is very frustrating.

GATA_OneMoreTime
December 14th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Are you kidding? Under four yards a carry and running the ball is very frustrating.

Georgia Southern's Triple Option...THREE YARDS AND A CLOUD OF DUST!
GATA!

Eagle22
December 14th, 2011, 08:07 PM

3 x 3.5 = 10.5 yards = 1st Down, Move the Chains, Line it up and do it again.

Our offense can work that way, when it needs to.

Ginsbach
December 14th, 2011, 08:10 PM

I'm not entirely sure averages work that way.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 08:16 PM

Until you get to the red zone, that's where opponents only shoot about 50% TDs against the Bison. 18 TDs in 36 attempts. You can kick field goals all day, we won't mind.

FIDO-GATA
December 14th, 2011, 08:16 PM
I think what we are saying is, if "run of the mill" offenses average 3.5 ypc on NDSU than we plan to do a bit better.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I think what we are saying is, if "run of the mill" offenses average 3.5 ypc on NDSU than we plan to do a bit better.

Again, run all you want....scoring is a completely different matter.

eaglesrthe1
December 14th, 2011, 08:19 PM

I'm not entirely sure averages work that way.

Right... which is why GSU will use their 6ypc avg instead. Because 6 x 2 = 12 yards = 1st down move the chains line it up and do it again. The extra down is like the ace in the hole (just in case) and if that don't work, well that's what 4th down is for, one more try. Good luck with that.

Eaglesrus
December 14th, 2011, 08:21 PM

And what is your basis for thinking we won't have 76 - 101 in Fargo?

GATA_OneMoreTime
December 14th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Pretty similar bend don't break defense as GSU. Giving up 28 TD's in 46 attempts. Here's to a great game on both sides of the ball!
GATA!

GATA_OneMoreTime
December 14th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Send SB a Christmas card

Sam Baker
6X Champ Rd
Statesboro, GA

PS. I hear he's moving next door in about a month.

THIS!

GATA_OneMoreTime
December 14th, 2011, 08:33 PM
National Champions: '65 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90

Something just dawned on me. I don't know why I didn't realize it sooner. Correct me if I'm wrong but the NDSU Bison fans are bashing us for playing a D2 school instead of them, right? So there's no way its the same NDSU Bison fans that boast about winning 8 D2 national championships, right? Oh wait...

Just figured I'd light the fire under this thread again :D

CC Eagle
December 14th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Something just dawned on me. I don't know why I didn't realize it sooner. Correct me if I'm wrong but the NDSU Bison fans are bashing us for playing a D2 school instead of them, right? So there's no way its the same NDSU Bison fans that boast about winning 8 D2 national championships, right? Oh wait...

Just so you know, D-II championships are holy when you win them.

When you play a D-II team that has absolutely nothing to do with the game that didn't happen between you and NDSU, you're a coward.

I've been as nice as I can be on the Bisonville board, but god help them if GSU wins convincingly. Until they ban me, I'll interrupt every gameday thread with questions as to whether or not they'd be better off buying out and scheduling a D-II instead.

FargoBison
December 14th, 2011, 08:43 PM
NDSU's defense is smart and athletic...I think we'll do an alright job in containing the option.

A question here that nobody asks is how will GSU stop NDSU's rushing attack? We don't run like an option team and good luck trying to simulate it with your scout team. We'll be getting some yards as well, just like NDSU will have to adjust to GSU's speed while running the option....GSU is going to have to adjust to NDSU's physical power rushing attack. This game will be tight and will no doubt come down to turnovers and special teams.

FargoBison

We won 5 DII titles...3 college division titles. The college division titles were games played vs Montana, Grambling and Arkansas St.

NoDak 4 Ever
Just so you know, D-II championships are holy when you win them.

When you play a D-II team that has absolutely nothing to do with the game that didn't happen between you and NDSU, you're a coward.

I've been as nice as I can be on the Bisonville board, but god help them if GSU wins convincingly. Until they ban me, I'll interrupt every gameday thread with questions as to whether or not they'd be better off buying out and scheduling a D-II instead.

I thought I'd interject a bit here. I'm attempting to explain a little. In the 90's Division II started to decline very strongly, hence so many defections up to IAA/FCS. DII schools are more like DIII/NAIA teams were in the 70's-90's.

Definitely not the same.

da_Bison
December 14th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Georgia Southern at North Dakota State - FCS 1-AA Championship Semifinal - Saturday, December 17, 2011 2:30 PM
155 Georgia Southern +3 -120 Over 51 -120
156 North Dakota State -3 -120 Under 51 -120

Montana at Sam Houston State - FCS 1-AA Championship Semifinal - Friday, December 16, 2011 8:00 PM
151 Montana +3½ -120 Over 52 -120
152 Sam Houston State -3½ -120 Under 52 -120

TwoFeathers
December 14th, 2011, 08:47 PM

Yeah, I'm with DGreen on this one. 3.5 yards per carry is pretty stout. Porous defenses, ie. ODU, are probably around 5 yards per carry.

TwoFeathers
December 14th, 2011, 08:49 PM
NDSU's defense is smart and athletic...I think we'll do an alright job in containing the option.

A question here that nobody asks is how will GSU stop NDSU's rushing attack? We don't run like an option team and good luck trying to simulate it with your scout team. We'll be getting some yards as well, just like NDSU will have to adjust to GSU's speed while running the option....GSU is going to have to adjust to NDSU's physical power rushing attack. This game will be tight and will no doubt come down to turnovers and special teams.

Agreed Fargo. However, my gut says that the Bison are going to have to score more than their typical 20-ish points to outscore the Eagles.

Ga Southern has been held to 21 points or less only twice this season. Once to Alabama (21) and Citadel (14???).

CC Eagle
December 14th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I thought I'd interject a bit here. I'm attempting to explain a little. In the 90's Division II started to decline very strongly, hence so many defections up to IAA/FCS. DII schools are more like DIII/NAIA teams were in the 70's-90's.

Definitely not the same.

No need to explain. I stood and applauded for all of the 10th place participation medals that my sisters were given in soccer, no matter the competition.

NDSU will absolutely win an FCS title someday. I just hope that, when they do, they'll properly acknowledge the fact that they won THAT trophy against competition that can't be rivaled at a family Thanksgiving touch football game.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Agreed Fargo. However, my gut says that the Bison are going to have to score more than their typical 20-ish points to outscore the Eagles.

The Bison are averaging 32.15 ppg

TwoFeathers
December 14th, 2011, 08:52 PM
The Bison are averaging 32.15 ppg

Touche' ND4E... I missed that ;) Was only looking at the playoffs scores.

heath
December 14th, 2011, 08:54 PM
28-24 GSU advances

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Touche' ND4E... I missed that ;) Was only looking at the playoffs scores.

Obviously that number takes into account the Lafayette's of the world but this team can score points, for sure.

TwoFeathers
December 14th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Thing is, nobody misses an assignment. The 3O is designed to get numerical advantage. It's about the execution. If the offense wins the blocking assignment, it goes to the house. If someone on the defense sheds/beats the block, then the tackle can be made. But, the defender still has to make the tackle.

Whichever side the defense declares is the stong side, the 3O will go away from it.

That's a great clip. It was posted earlier, and shows a picture-perfect execution. It really is a thing of magic when the reads and blocks happen as designed.

CC Eagle
December 14th, 2011, 08:59 PM

There aren't common opponents - not that they can give definitive insight - but I will say this to your point:

GSU has been hurt by both of its playoff opponents. In both cases, the OVERWHELMING method of gaining yards and scoring points has been through the air. GSU has a pair of good cover corners, but little else to defend good, fast receivers. Our LB's are very good at stopping the run, but iffy on pass coverage.

Not to take anything away from NDSU's offensive talent, but it plays into GSU's defensive strengths. In all of the places that an inferior team (ODU) lit us up (very elusive QB, extremely fast WRs, 4-5 WR sets), the Bison's strenghts match up with those of the Eagles. Our LBs are sound tacklers and can plug running lanes while our safties - who are a bit short on pass coverage ability - are alse good against the run.

I'm not claiming that GSU will stifle NDSU's offens by any means, but it would be foolish to state that a defense full of LBs and safeties that are better against the run than the pass is at a disadvantage in comparrison to a defense that is facing an offense that it has never seen before.

fencereagle
December 14th, 2011, 08:59 PM

3.5yards per carry to a team that doesn't throw the ball is first and 10 on 3rd down all day. AND play it any way you want but that average includes some piss poor running teams.

Professor Chaos
December 14th, 2011, 09:01 PM

I will be estatic if GSU averages 3.5 ypc on Saturday. The Bison, barring a multitude of turnovers, will win by 2 scores or more if this is the case.

If you're averaging 3.5 ypc you're going to be punting more in this game than you have in any this season.

Twentysix
December 14th, 2011, 09:02 PM
A whole lot of nudity came up for me.

fencereagle
Uhhh... The doc I referenced seemed to suggest your D gave up 30 rushing TDs. Did I read that wrong?

TwoFeathers
Yeah right up until this happens / someone on defense misses an assignment...
You'll want to view this in full screen mode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q27Vb05cJ8U

So what was the mistake that was made on this play? Was it the corner who followed the receiver, rather than 'staying home' to tackle the pitch man? Because it was the receiver who drew the corner out of the play, and the receiver blocked the safety. Thus taking both out of the play.

But something tells me if the corner stayed 'home', the leading A-back would have taken him out. I'm telling you, it's a shell game.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Uhhh... The doc I referenced seemed to suggest your D gave up 30 rushing TDs. Did I read that wrong?

The D has only given up 22 TDs all season. 8 Rushing

UNIFanSince1983
December 14th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Obviously that number takes into account the Lafayette's of the world but this team can score points, for sure.

They average right around 25 for playoff caliber teams. So for that I did the 3 teams NDSU has played that were in the playoffs, as well as Indiana State, Illinois State, and Youngstown State. The craziest part about that was they didn't score more than 27 against any of those teams, but they also didn't score less than 20. They have been very consistent against playoff caliber teams.

Obviously, none of these teams are as good as GSU is, but it still is impressive. I think this will be a closely contested game in the 20s. Should be a fun Saturday!

Twentysix
December 14th, 2011, 09:07 PM

I wonder if he read it wrong lmfao.

Twentysix
December 14th, 2011, 09:08 PM
They average right around 25 for playoff caliber teams. So for that I did the 3 teams NDSU has played that were in the playoffs, as well as Indiana State, Illinois State, and Youngstown State. The craziest part about that was they didn't score more than 27 against any of those teams, but they also didn't score less than 20. They have been very consistent against playoff caliber teams.

Obviously, none of these teams are as good as GSU is, but it still is impressive. I think this will be a closely contested game in the 20s. Should be a fun Saturday!

You have got to think NDSU could have scored more points in our playoff games but did not need to score more points.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 09:09 PM
You have got to think NDSU could have scored more points in our playoff games but did not need to score more points.

That is what I've said all along. They have a bit of a let up mode when the game is in hand.

CC Eagle
December 14th, 2011, 09:10 PM
So what was the mistake that was made on this play? Was it the corner who followed the receiver, rather than 'staying home' to tackle the pitch man? Because it was the receiver who drew the corner out of the play, and the receiver blocked the safety. Thus taking both out of the play.

You're absolutely correct.

In this instance, the corner is the one guy that has a free release to recognize and blow up the play... But he makes a bad read and a TD ensues.

The DE gets optioned as the tackle fires off to attack the safety and the guard fires off to get the MLB. The DE is unblocked, but crashes in (along with the DT) to stop the dive - the option that was neglected by the QB after making his read.

With all of this happening, the only two defenders left that have a chance to make a play are the CB and OLB. Knowing that his DE was playing the dive, the OLB has to play the quarterback. The QB sees this, makes the OLB step up, and pitches.

Meanwhile, the CB that should have read this is still chasing the WR - that never even attempts to block him - straight out of the running lane.

They don't all work out this pretty - but it only takes a few.

FargoBison
December 14th, 2011, 09:11 PM
There aren't common opponents - not that they can give definitive insight - but I will say this to your point:

GSU has been hurt by both of its playoff opponents. In both cases, the OVERWHELMING method of gaining yards and scoring points has been through the air. GSU has a pair of good cover corners, but little else to defend good, fast receivers. Our LB's are very good at stopping the run, but iffy on pass coverage.

Not to take anything away from NDSU's offensive talent, but it plays into GSU's defensive strengths. In all of the places that an inferior team (ODU) lit us up (very elusive QB, extremely fast WRs, 4-5 WR sets), the Bison's strenghts match up with those of the Eagles. Our LBs are sound tacklers and can plug running lanes while our safties - who are a bit short on pass coverage ability - are alse good against the run.

I'm not claiming that GSU will stifle NDSU's offens by any means, but it would be foolish to state that a defense full of LBs and safeties that are better against the run than the pass is at a disadvantage in comparrison to a defense that is facing an offense that it has never seen before.

Look at JMU and get back to me, they had a fantastic defense and unlike GSU they played some teams that actually compares to our style and we ran all over them. I don't care about how you did vs ODU....ODU is a completely different team.

Wilson16
December 14th, 2011, 09:12 PM
nudity? no, this is how they dress when going to the supemarket

Easy guys you might offend someone on here. :)

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Easy guys you might offend someone on here. :)

Stop being a dick. This fight you're having with Bison Babe is not going your way. Just relax and lets save the nasty comments for the GSU folks, eh?

Professor Chaos
December 14th, 2011, 09:13 PM

What do UGA fans think of your 6 "peewee league" titles?

CC Eagle
December 14th, 2011, 09:15 PM
That is what I've said all along. They have a bit of a let up mode when the game is in hand.

Who doesn't?

Do you really think that GSU had its starters running 4th quarter snaps against Presbyterian, Tusculum or Western? Everybody lets up. If you're going to add more points onto your pedestrian offense to make up for easy wins, then I'll take the liberty of adding another 1-2 TDs on these games to GSU's avg. as well.

TwoFeathers

In this instance, the corner is the one guy that has a free release to recognize and blow up the play... But he makes a bad read and a TD ensues.

The DE gets optioned as the tackle fires off to attack the safety and the guard fires off to get the MLB. The DE is unblocked, but crashes in (along with the DT) to stop the dive - the option that was neglected by the QB after making his read.

With all of this happening, the only two defenders left that have a chance to make a play are the CB and OLB. Knowing that his DE was playing the dive, the OLB has to play the quarterback. The QB sees this, makes the OLB step up, and pitches.

Meanwhile, the CB that should have read this is still chasing the WR - that never even attempts to block him - straight out of the running lane.

I'm telling you, even when the corner comes back to make the play, he's blocked by the leading A-Back. The only way I see defending this play is the OLB, Safety or Corner have to shed blocks, and FAST to get to the play.

fencereagle

Yes, my mistake. I clearly misread, I went back and looked and your numbers are indeed correct. Appologies.

GATA_OneMoreTime
December 14th, 2011, 09:16 PM
What do UGA fans think of your 6 "peewee league" titles?
Ask Richt next year after he loses his job because of a loss to GSU :D

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 09:17 PM
What do UGA fans think of your 6 "peewee league titles"?

I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding of how football went at that time. It's ok, they were still getting started.

TwoFeathers
December 14th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Look at JMU and get back to me, they had a fantastic defense and unlike GSU they played some teams that actually compares to our style and we ran all over them. I don't care about how you did vs ODU....ODU is a completely different team.

Fargo, I'm sure you're a nice guy, but let's not go propping up JMU here... I don't want to go on a diatribe, but they are pretty horrible. Were you one of those Bison fans pooping all over JMU before you beat them, now suddenly they the best team in the FCS?? Wake up, FargoB!

CC Eagle
December 14th, 2011, 09:19 PM

Look at what was probably the last team into the field... and played you close... at home... with a defense that managed to do decently in a conference that got all of one team into the final 8?

OK. Done. I hope you don't bring the same game plan into Saturday's matchup. I want to at least get a few drinks in before starting my celebration.

TwoFeathers
December 14th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Fargo, I'm sure you're a nice guy, but let's not go propping up JMU here... I don't want to go on a diatribe, but they are pretty horrible. Were you one of those Bison fans pooping all over JMU before you beat them, now suddenly they the best team in the FCS?? Wake up, FargoB!

PS, JMU couldn't stop ODU if they had 22 men on the field. Just saying.

TwoFeathers
December 14th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Look at what was probably the last team into the field... and played you close... at home... with a defense that managed to do decently in a conference that got all of one team into the final 8?

OK. Done. I hope you don't bring the same game plan into Saturday's matchup. I want to at least get a few drinks in before starting my celebration.

#5 in the CAA... that's 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Out of, what, 11 teams? I know it's not the MVFC, but #5!

FargoBison
December 14th, 2011, 09:23 PM

What's wrong with their defense? Their offense is pretty blah(I don't want to think about how bad it was without Thorpe), but for as bad as their offense is their defense seems to keep them in games.

FargoBison
December 14th, 2011, 09:24 PM
PS, JMU couldn't stop ODU if they had 22 men on the field. Just saying.

ODU scored all of 23 points vs JMU.

CC Eagle
I'm telling you, even when the corner comes back to make the play, he's blocked by the leading A-Back. The only way I see defending this play is the OLB, Safety or Corner have to shed blocks, and FAST to get to the play.

There is ALWAYS someone who is unblocked. It's simple math... 11 on each side, but one offensive player is carrying the ball.

That's what makes the triple option tough. It isn't magic, perfection, or divine inspiration. It's just a scheme that makes it very difficult to get more than one person to the ball carrier without having to get through a block first.

In that clip, the slotback also goes after the safety. It's the corner that has a totally unblocked path to the pitchman, but - because he reads it wrong and runs with the WR - he is out of the play long before he sees that the ball is heading towards the spot that he was just standing in.

TwoFeathers
What's wrong with their defense? Their offense is pretty blah(I don't want to think about how bad it was without Thorpe), but for as bad as their offense is their defense seems to keep them in games.

I'll give you 1/2 a point for JMU having a decent D. Decent at best ;)

Wilson16
December 14th, 2011, 09:25 PM

The Maine coach said after the game, they started to figure it out but they ran out of time. If it takes NDSU as long to figure it out they could end up in the same boat as Maine. I do think they are bigger and more athletic than Maine which will help even if it takes them awhile to figure it out. Plus I think they will hit the QB alot and hard. And it will hurt when he hits the ceeeeeement (my prediction is he won't finish the game). NDSU's offense needs to sustain drives and limit the number of possesions GS has to win this game IMO. I believe they have the talent and will win by a FG. Can't wait for Sat.

FargoBison
December 14th, 2011, 09:26 PM

They have the #13 rush defense and we ran for 221 and 6 yards per carry. If that happens on Saturday...GSU better be hanging onto the ball on offense.

Who cares if they were the last team, NDSU was the last team in last year and lost to the champ by a TD in overtime.

Gothmog
December 14th, 2011, 09:26 PM

What are talking about? The safety gets pancaked. That what springs the play. Taking on a blocker and getting knocked on your *** is "missing your assignment."

TwoFeathers
December 14th, 2011, 09:27 PM
There is ALWAYS someone who is unblocked. It's simple math... 11 on each side, but one offensive player is carrying the ball.

That's what makes the triple option tough. It isn't magic, perfection, or divine inspiration. It's just a scheme that makes it very difficult to get more than one person to the ball carrier without having to get through a block first.

In that clip, the slotback also goes after the safety. It's the corner that has a totally unblocked path to the pitchman, but - because he reads it wrong and runs with the WR - he is out of the play long before he sees that the ball is heading towards the spot that he was just standing in.

Yeah, but you know what, the leading A-Back (slotback??) is the same guy who eventually blocks the corner when he came back to the play. Even if he had stayed home to make the tackle, he still would have had to deal with the leading slotback. The runner just wouldn't have made as big a run. Maybe 5-10 yards, instead of a homerun. But that's what the TO is all about, I guess. 5-10 yard runs all day long.

Wilson16
December 14th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Stop being a dick. This fight you're having with Bison Babe is not going your way. Just relax and lets save the nasty comments for the GSU folks, eh?

Yes dad

TwoFeathers
December 14th, 2011, 09:28 PM
What are talking about? The safety gets pancaked. That what springs the play. Taking on a blocker and getting knocked on your *** is "missing your assignment."

Yeah, but that block was still 10 yards down the field. So even if the safety sheds that block, it's still a 5-10 yard run.

Sorry to over-analyze that clip, but it's a great example of a typical Triple Option play.

CC Eagle
December 14th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Yeah, but that block was still 10 yards down the field. So even if the safety sheds that block, it's still a 5-10 yard run.

Sorry to over-analyze that clip, but it's a great example of a typical Triple Option play.

This is what I tried to explain on the Bisonville board when whatever has-been D-II All-American that is probably now thawing out oil drillers' cocks for money tried to break down the GSU offense.

Sure, there are opportunities for negative plays against our offense... Sure, we have a propensity to put the ball on the ground.

What ends up getting to opponents is the fact that they can play sound, disciplined defense, and still give up 4-5 yards per play. Defenders go through their checklist, stay on assingment, make the tackle, then see that it was a 5 yd. gain anyways.

That happens one too many times and guys start getting frustrated. When they leave their assignment early to try and make the big play, that's when breakdowns - and big plays - happen.

The best way to defend GSU's offense is to give it yards and never miss an assignment. It will surrender yards and points, but it will also keep you from giving up gamebreakers.

It's the teams that get fed up with giving up 4-5 yds. per carry and try to do something about it that get hurt the worst.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 09:40 PM
This is what I tried to explain on the Bisonville board when whatever has-been D-II All-American that is probably now thawing out oil drillers' cocks for money tried to break down the GSU offense.

Sure, there are opportunities for negative plays against our offense... Sure, we have a propensity to put the ball on the ground.

What ends up getting to opponents is the fact that they can play sound, disciplined defense, and still give up 4-5 yards per play. Defenders go through their checklist, stay on assingment, make the tackle, then see that it was a 5 yd. gain anyways.

That happens one too many times and guys start getting frustrated. When they leave their assignment early to try and make the big play, that's when breakdowns - and big plays - happen.

The best way to defend GSU's offense is to give it yards and never miss an assignment. It will surrender yards and points, but it will also keep you from giving up gamebreakers.

It's the teams that get fed up with giving up 4-5 yds. per carry and try to do something about it that get hurt the worst.

God, I hope you get 800 yards rushing on Saturday....and 7 field goals. Woo!

Gothmog
December 14th, 2011, 09:40 PM

OK, let's say it goes the other way -- the safety blows up the blocker. Then you've got a loss, or a minimal gain.

Sure it's nice play. But the idea that it succeeded despite everyone on defense doing their job is just wrong.

CC Eagle
December 14th, 2011, 09:48 PM
God, I hope you get 800 yards rushing on Saturday....and 7 field goals. Woo!

Good luck.

The majority of GSU's touchdowns come from more than 10 or less than 2 yards out. We either strike for a big play, or pound it down close enough that a couple of dives or QB sneaks makes a TD all but inevitable.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 09:51 PM
150 PAGES!!!

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Good luck.

The majority of GSU's touchdowns come from more than 10 or less than 2 yards out. We either strike for a big play, or pound it down close enough that a couple of dives or QB sneaks makes a TD all but inevitable.

Perhaps you have seen the statistic that shows the Bison giving up less than 2 TDs a game. Even better in the playoffs.

CC Eagle
December 14th, 2011, 09:52 PM
OK, let's say it goes the other way -- the safety blows up the blocker. Then you've got a loss, or a minimal gain.

Sure it's nice play. But the idea that it succeeded despite everyone on defense doing their job is just wrong.

Ummm....

Safety first contacts a blocker 3-4 yards past the LOS. The CB finally turns around and gets hit about 7 yards downfield.

By all means... Please blow up our blockers 3-4 yards downfield and give us 4-5 on each play. I'd love to see how that works out for you.

CC Eagle
December 14th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Perhaps you have seen the statistic that shows the Bison giving up less than 2 TDs a game. Even better in the playoffs.

Wow... Slightly less than 2 TDs per game including the blanking of an OK Lehigh team that was missing it's biggest weapon.

That's terrifying. Tell me; what was it like to coach up the Steelers and Ravens on having such inpenetrable defenses?

Squealofthepig
December 14th, 2011, 10:00 PM
inpenetrable

*giggle*

BisonFan02
December 14th, 2011, 10:01 PM

If this is about who I think it is, I would pay to see you rattle that off in person.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 10:04 PM
*giggle*

Low hanging fruit, dude. I passed. He's a bleedin' genius!

BisonFan02
December 14th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Low hanging fruit, dude. I passed. He's a bleedin' genius!

It's up there with lakes trying to figure out carnival and carnal....

Squealofthepig
December 14th, 2011, 10:06 PM
If this is about who I think it is, I would pay to see you rattle that off in person.

Dude, chill. You've never prostituted yourself for money like GSU has.

BisonBabe
December 14th, 2011, 10:10 PM
For those GSU fans traveling up I hope the trip here is uneventful..be safe and lets enjoy a great game on Saturday...

fencereagle
December 14th, 2011, 10:10 PM
They have the #13 rush defense and we ran for 221 and 6 yards per carry. If that happens on Saturday...GSU better be hanging onto the ball on offense.

Who cares if they were the last team, NDSU was the last team in last year and lost to the champ by a TD in overtime.

NDSU Has the #16 rush defense... Soooo... Your Offense ran for 221 against the number 13 rush defense... Annndd we're a team that specializes in the run... Annnndd you have a crappier rush defense than the one you ran for 221 on. Oh I totally see your logic that the NDSU defense is going to shutdown the GSU offense.

CC Eagle
December 14th, 2011, 10:12 PM

I'm not a fighter. I do my best to stay out of fights.

If you feel the need to rattle off threats... on his behalf... over the ******** internet... then I don't think I care much either way who he is or isn't.

By the way, it's about prime time for the strip club(s) in ND. You guys should probably abandon AGS and get down to the "Oil Hole" so your daughters don't run off with some passerby and take away the only decent money your state has to offer.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2011, 10:13 PM

You don't subscribe to his Youtube channel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlNQ5gZVytk