PDA

View Full Version : UNH @ MSU

Pages : 1 [2]

veinup
December 3rd, 2011, 05:20 PM
hahaha.

NHwildEcat
December 3rd, 2011, 05:20 PM
I didn't want to play SHSU next weekend anyways!

CopperCat
December 3rd, 2011, 05:40 PM
MSU commits four turnovers (3 INTs) and still manages to win the game. Don't know of many teams that have done that. MSU has done that twice this year, albeit I would say NOT turning the ball over and winning is a better way to go about business. I'm not sure what the final tally of total offense was, but at one point MSU had 330+ yards, UNH had 160. Props to the MSU D today, bent but didn't break when it mattered and put the QB on his a$$ a few times too. UNH has a great receiver in Decker, that kid catches anything thrown his way. Good game UNH, bad break in the end but you played well down the stretch.

Griz23
December 3rd, 2011, 05:56 PM
The Bobcats outplayed UNH in every aspect of the game including more turnovers. The only reason the game was close in the end is because the MSU coaching staff screwed the pooch by not taking a saftey with 17 seconds left. A shanked punt and a great play made for a great ending but after all the dust settled the right team won....

Wildcat80
December 3rd, 2011, 07:12 PM
MSU outplayed UNH everywhere except we won turnovers and played just enough defense to have a chance to steal a win. Congrats Bobcats and good luck!

Grizo406
December 3rd, 2011, 10:11 PM
UNH had a nice return, but called back due to block in the back. This is the season here for the offense. 26-19, 4:02 to go. Ball probably somewhere between the 10 and 20.

Now to the UNH 41 on a nice screen.

I thought he graduated a long time ago!??!

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Agreed.

why not say that after the TD

Lehigh Football Nation
December 4th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Recap of this game and the other second-round matchups:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/78-college-sports-journal/david-coulson/131-fcs-wrap-up-refreshed-maine-stuns-appalachian-state

Walkon79
December 4th, 2011, 04:22 PM
You don't take a safety there?

Sorry Guys, just getting over the heart attack. I wondered the same thing!!

Walkon79
December 4th, 2011, 04:32 PM
UNH came to play. Your offense showed why it's one of the best in FCS. I was really surprised by the pressure applied by our front 4 though. It's the strength of our defense, but Minter, Daly, Laidet were un-blockable today. Great to see Brad healthy going in to SHSU. We missed him bad in the Griz game.

I sure hope DeNarius stops forcing throws and we continue to establish the run like we did in the 2nd half.

So excited for these kids to go to Texas, which is home to 19 on the roster. (although I was really pulling for Stony Brook)

I think we have a good shot!

UNH Fanboi
December 4th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Taking the safety would not be the right play. After a safety you'd be doing free punt from the 20-yard line with 30 seconds left and a 5-point lead. I think that is a more dangerous situation than punting from the end-zone with a 7 point lead.

The safety would only make sense if there were less than 5 or 10 seconds left.

UNH72Plus
December 5th, 2011, 09:41 AM
UNH came to play. Your offense showed why it's one of the best in FCS. I was really surprised by the pressure applied by our front 4 though. It's the strength of our defense, but Minter, Daly, Laidet were un-blockable today. Great to see Brad healthy going in to SHSU. We missed him bad in the Griz game.

I sure hope DeNarius stops forcing throws and we continue to establish the run like we did in the 2nd half.

So excited for these kids to go to Texas, which is home to 19 on the roster. (although I was really pulling for Stony Brook)

I think we have a good shot!

Congratulation on a great all-round game. I'm predicting that MSU will trounce the great pretenders from Texas.

Here's another Monday morning quarterback topic for discussion. How would the game have changed if UNH had attempted (and made) a second field goal in the first quarter instead of shifting out of the kicking formation and going for broke?

kittiekop
December 5th, 2011, 10:02 AM
There was probably a dozen different turning points in this game, that 4th down decision was one of them. Definitely would have changed what the end of the game looked like. That said, look also at the blocked extra point/2 point conversion from earlier in the game. Look at the 3rd and goal pass McGhee palmed and missed to the TE that possibly could have gone for a TD instead of the FG for MSU. If Shawn Johnson would have just gone down instead of fighting for another yard on the punt and then fumbling away leading to the UNH TD. These are all what made this game memorable - there were so many "what if this had happened" moments in that game that lead up to that one last play in the south endzone. I haven't said it yet, but hats off to UNH. Great group of kids and a great team. Enjoyed having you in Bozeman.

Griz23
December 6th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Taking the safety would not be the right play. After a safety you'd be doing free punt from the 20-yard line with 30 seconds left and a 5-point lead. I think that is a more dangerous situation than punting from the end-zone with a 7 point lead.

The safety would only make sense if there were less than 5 or 10 seconds left.

I listened to the game via the UNH radio feed...the announcers were shocked that the Bobcats didn't take a saftey as there were only 17 seconds left (I'm pretty sure) and as it worked out they were probably right although we will never know. If MSU took the safety they could have punted from the 20 yd line (30? 40?) instead of the end zone and the kicker would probably not be feeling the heat from a rush and therefore would probably not shank the punt leading to a much longer field for UNH to score as they had no timeouts left...coulda woulda shoulda...great ending though, one for the archives.

UNHFootballAlum
December 6th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I listened to the game via the UNH radio feed...the announcers were shocked that the Bobcats didn't take a saftey as there were only 17 seconds left (I'm pretty sure) and as it worked out they were probably right although we will never know. If MSU took the safety they could have punted from the 20 yd line (30? 40?) instead of the end zone and the kicker would probably not be feeling the heat from a rush and therefore would probably not shank the punt leading to a much longer field for UNH to score as they had no timeouts left...coulda woulda shoulda...great ending though, one for the archives.

taking a safety would ahve been the right call. MSU would have still been up my more than a FG and punting/KO from their 20. UnH probably gets ball on thier own 40 or 45 yrd line with about 7 secondes left. A hail mary would be the only play

Catbooster
December 6th, 2011, 01:17 PM
There was a big debate about taking the safety vs. what they did on bobcatnation as well. IMO punting was the right decision, and I think the result shows that it was right as the (almost) worst case happened and we still won. 1) We shanked the punt; 2) their receiver ran a good route, our DB bit on a step inside, Decker threw a good pass, DLine was getting lots of pressure on Decker but didn't get there that time; 3) UNH was still behind and had to get the extra point to tie and go to OT or go for 2 and likely (IMO) not get it. Who cares if we won by one point instead of 7? UNH was able to get a TD and still didn't win.

Either way, there was plenty time to run a number of plays. If you take the safety, you're potentially one mistake (or great play) away from UNH winning. With the punt, it takes several mistakes (or great plays) to win.