PDA

View Full Version : JMU @ NDSU Talk

Pages : 1 [2]

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2011, 10:42 AM
This is going to be a damn close game. I'm just getting annoyed with NDSU fans talking about this being a route. We are not Montana State from last year ... sorry.
Like I said earlier in the thread, neither a JMU or NDSU fan is going to be right to say that this will be a close game or a blow out because we both look at our own teams in color and the opponents in black and white. If JMU plays their best, they'll beat NDSU. If NDSU plays their best, they'll route JMU. But chances are that neither team will. I hate the cliches like "if we learn to put together a full game" or "if we played for 60 full minutes" because that's damn near impossible to do when you're playing against a good opponent. Every team still playing is pretty damn good and for that reason it's always the safest bet to assume a close win by the favored squad. However, JMU is definitely good enough to upset NDSU and NDSU is definitely good enough to route JMU if the chips fall the right way for either team.

It's all about who comes out and wins the key factors in this game like 1st down defense, pressuring the QB, and turnovers. We won't know until Saturday because there's no barometer to judge these teams against each other...... yet.

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2011, 10:45 AM
So, at the time of those wins with Thorpe ... 2 of the first 3 (CCSU, Liberty, WM) were ranked (Wm #5) ... and with a healthy Jace beat then #6 UR in a route ... so even though those teams finished poorly ... you can't discount that those teams were highly touted at the times of those games.
Yeah you can. Unless their fall was due to injuries or suspensions they were overrated at the time that you beat them. NDSU beat a ranked Southern Illinois team who we found out later in the season had no business being ranked. Liberty is a decent win but CCSU, Richmond, and W&M all turned out to be paper tigers this year.

Vitojr130
December 1st, 2011, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure how many times we have to repeat this ... but we are 6-1 (lone loss to UNC) with Justin Thorpe at QB ... and two of the games we lost while he was out were by 1 in OT to Maine and 3 @ ODU ...

Are you guys really that stupid or just blinded by your mustard yellow and green glasses that you can't hear anything that we are saying over here?

We are 5-0 at the dome when I am in attendance, but without me there we are 0-1. I plan on being there Saturday, so by JMU math you stand no chance.

You guys are quite the characters.

Bison06
December 1st, 2011, 10:48 AM
Again, you're an idiot.

It's been discussed how Jace's injuries impacted his performances against Maine late in the game (OT loss) ... and how the offense was virtually one-dimensional because of injuries against ODU in the second half (got blanked in 2nd half) ...

By the end, Edwards had a bum shoulder that limited the amount of hits MIckey let him take and had an ankle injury that made him a less mobile QB. Our offense is built on the QB option keeper and he could not keep it ...

Do you understand how that may affect our offense dummy? Jace played great ... but had got banged up and it severely impacted his level of play ... and the type of plays MM could call with him in there. It became a waiting game to get Thorpe back.

Now, I understand our offense puts the QB in a position to get banged up. That's a risk you're willing to take. BUT, if Thorpe hadn't been a moron and gotten suspended, you would have had a fresh Jace to come in and spell him for a couple games if he got knicked. In this case, you had Jace ... and no true back-up to come in and spell him that fit in the scheme (which is why you saw so much of Dae'Quann out of the wildcat ... except that he isn't a threat to throw the ball, so again, one-dimensional if run all the time).

As I'm sure you are aware, getting hurt and dealing with injuries is part of the game. We could say the same thing about our season, every team in the nation deals with injuries at key positions throughout the year. If's and but's when it comes to injuries are never an argument for a loss IMO. Because in all likelihood the other team at the time of the game was dealing with an injury that evens out your injured player.

This is why I love the FCS because all of this talk will be settled on Saturday and not in some BS poll.

TwoFeathers
December 1st, 2011, 10:50 AM
Thank goodness this will be decided on the field on Saturday, and not in this thread! Great day of games coming up!

JmuSkinsfan
December 1st, 2011, 10:50 AM
Like I said earlier in the thread, neither a JMU or NDSU fan is going to be right to say that this will be a close game or a blow out because we both look at our own teams in color and the opponents in black and white. If JMU plays their best, they'll beat NDSU. If NDSU plays their best, they'll route JMU. But chance are that neither team will. I hate the cliches like "if we learn to put together a full game" or "if we played for 60 full minutes" because that's damn near impossible to do when you're playing against a good opponent. Every team still playing is pretty damn good and for that reason it's always the safest bet to assume a close win by the favored squad. However, JMU is definitely good enough to upset NDSU and NDSU is definitely good enough to route JMU if the chips fall the right way for either team.

It's all about who comes out and wins the key factors in this game like 1st down defense, pressuring the QB, and turnovers. We won't know until Saturday because there's no barometer to judge these teams against each other...... yet.

Okay, this is the best post I've seen so far. I agree 100%. NDSU certainly has the chance to route JMU if they get a bunch of turnovers and shut down the JMU run game. JMU has a chance to win if they control the clock and can grind down NDSU and not turn the ball over, while the defense just does what they have all season.

JMU is the type of team that can win big against bad teams, but has a hard time beating good teams (this year) by wide margins. They are the type of team that can grind out and win close, mistake-free games against the best teams. That's how the JMU team won the 2004 championship ... and I think this team has some of the similar qualities.

JMU will not route NDSU. If JMU wins I think it would be in the area of 21-17 or 24-20, etc. etc. NDSU could certainly beat JMU by 14-17 points (don't think it could be more than that though, JMU's defense simply doesn't allow opponents to score more than 30, like, ever lol). NDSU could win 28-13 or something of that nature if it can shut down the JMU offense.

I think this game will see both teams score between 17-27 points ... that's all I can really predict. Could be 27-17 NDSU or 24-17 JMU ...

Vitojr130
December 1st, 2011, 10:51 AM
Again, you're an idiot.

It's been discussed how Jace's injuries impacted his performances against Maine late in the game (OT loss) ... and how the offense was virtually one-dimensional because of injuries against ODU in the second half (got blanked in 2nd half) ...

By the end, Edwards had a bum shoulder that limited the amount of hits MIckey let him take and had an ankle injury that made him a less mobile QB. Our offense is built on the QB option keeper and he could not keep it ...

Do you understand how that may affect our offense dummy? Jace played great ... but had got banged up and it severely impacted his level of play ... and the type of plays MM could call with him in there. It became a waiting game to get Thorpe back.

Now, I understand our offense puts the QB in a position to get banged up. That's a risk you're willing to take. BUT, if Thorpe hadn't been a moron and gotten suspended, you would have had a fresh Jace to come in and spell him for a couple games if he got knicked. In this case, you had Jace ... and no true back-up to come in and spell him that fit in the scheme (which is why you saw so much of Dae'Quann out of the wildcat ... except that he isn't a threat to throw the ball, so again, one-dimensional if run all the time).

I love how you call members of our fan base "idiots", yet you ignore actual statistics and facts about which team is much stronger and therefore (using logic and not pride) we can deduce that NDSU will come out with the win... big. Also, East Coast bias does exist, like it or not. Look at all the power rankings and seedings of teams in the playoffs. Which conference do you still believe is best? If your answer is the CAA, you just proved my point just like every other ignorant East Coaster has done.

Twentysix
December 1st, 2011, 10:52 AM
Okay, this is the best post I've seen so far. I agree 100%. NDSU certainly has the chance to route JMU if they get a bunch of turnovers and shut down the JMU run game. JMU has a chance to win if they control the clock and can grind down NDSU and not turn the ball over, while the defense just does what they have all season.

JMU is the type of team that can win big against bad teams, but has a hard time beating good teams (this year) by wide margins. They are the type of team that can grind out and win close, mistake-free games against the best teams. That's how the JMU team won the 2004 championship ... and I think this team has some of the similar qualities.

JMU will not route NDSU. If JMU wins I think it would be in the area of 21-17 or 24-20, etc. etc. NDSU could certainly beat JMU by 14-17 points (don't think it could be more than that though, JMU's defense simply doesn't allow opponents to score more than 30, like, ever lol). NDSU could win 28-13 or something of that nature if it can shut down the JMU offense.

I think this game will see both teams score between 17-27 points ... that's all I can really predict. Could be 27-17 NDSU or 24-17 JMU ...

Or it could be 2-0 NDSU winning with a safety!

TwoFeathers
December 1st, 2011, 10:54 AM
A find it ironic that NDSU fans are calling ANYONE overconfident or entitled.

And if I hear East Coast Bias one more time.......

It is true that the CAA did not have any team consistently in the top-5 this year, as they usually do. So by that count, it is a down year in the CAA. Gotta give NDSU and the MVFC that one. As well as SoCon and Big Sky.

JmuSkinsfan
December 1st, 2011, 10:55 AM
I love how you call members of our fan base "idiots", yet you ignore actual statistics and facts about which team is much stronger and therefore (using logic and not pride) we can deduce that NDSU will come out with the win... big. Also, East Coast bias does exist, like it or not. Look at all the power rankings and seedings of teams in the playoffs. Which conference do you still believe is best? If your answer is the CAA, you just proved my point just like every other ignorant East Coaster has done.

This year? I think it would come down to SoCon and MVFC with CAA close 3rd. All 3 were really too close to judge. I think the MVFC easily could have had 5 teams had ISU, ISU and YSU not choked. I also think that the SoCon could have had 5 teams in had Furman not lost two mystifying games and Chattanooga had some better breaks. The CAA had 6 teams with 7-4 records and better ... just happened that the 3 top teams are perenial bottom-feeders ... so there was the perception that we just weren't that good.

whitey
December 1st, 2011, 11:16 AM
I'd be pretty confident too if JMU was the #2 seed and playing the second to last team to make it in the playoff field at home this week. All I know is Mickey is going to have these guys ready to play. JMU has never not played a close game in the playoffs since MM has been here. So if I had to guess I'd say this one will is going to be close no matter which team wins.

Then again it could be a blowout and JMU will send these farm boys crying home to their mommies. I KID....I KID.... :D xpeacex

molly
December 1st, 2011, 11:18 AM
The CAA had 6 teams with 7-4 records and better ... just happened that the 3 top teams are perenial bottom-feeders ... so there was the perception that we just weren't that good.

I think that was certainly part of it. I also think that the CAA's unbalanced schedule came into play more this year because several of the top teams didn't play each other: JMU didn't play Towson or UD, and ODU didn't play UNH or Maine, for instance.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 1st, 2011, 11:42 AM
Interesting read here.

Can the Bison get beat? Heck ya, but I do not see it happening on saturday. If JMU is going to "hang their hat" on running the ball and running it again...and again....they will lose....period.

NDSU is balanced on offense....JMU is not.

Bison 31-17

Twentysix
December 1st, 2011, 11:46 AM
http://www.gobison.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=10507&id=737534 round 2 against the east in the playoffs.

Good thing we are better this year.

Attendance for that game was about 12000, Should expect closer to 19000 for this game.

JmuSkinsfan
December 1st, 2011, 11:48 AM
Interesting read here.

Can the Bison get beat? Heck ya, but I do not see it happening on saturday. If JMU is going to "hang their hat" on running the ball and running it again...and again....they will lose....period.

NDSU is balanced on offense....JMU is not.

Bison 31-17

JMU hasn't necessarily needed to be balanced this year. If you're churning out 5.1 YPC and rushing for 300 or so yards a game there is no need to pass. When JMU has to, though, it can throw the ball, and does so quite effectively. Now, will JMU go out and throw for 300 yards? No way. BUT, JMU is more than capable of putting up 150-200 yards passing the ball if necessary ... to go along with 200-250 yards rushing.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 1st, 2011, 12:07 PM
JMU hasn't necessarily needed to be balanced this year. If you're churning out 5.1 YPC and rushing for 300 or so yards a game there is no need to pass. When JMU has to, though, it can throw the ball, and does so quite effectively. Now, will JMU go out and throw for 300 yards? No way. BUT, JMU is more than capable of putting up 150-200 yards passing the ball if necessary ... to go along with 200-250 yards rushing.

Maybe so.

But NDSU is not a middle of the road CAA team that you can just line up and push around to the tune of 300 rushing yards. Our defense is one of the best in the nation.

That is why I cannot wait for saturday. I want to see the "juggernaut" that is JMU and CAA football. If JMU beats us then they will have deserved it and I will say JMU was the better team. It will be interesting to see how JMU fans will react if the Bison win and if they win by a "comfortable" margin.....xeyebrowx

JmuSkinsfan
December 1st, 2011, 12:15 PM
Maybe so.

But NDSU is not a middle of the road CAA team that you can just line up and push around to the tune of 300 rushing yards. Our defense is one of the best in the nation.

That is why I cannot wait for saturday. I want to see the "juggernaut" that is JMU and CAA football. If JMU beats us then they will have deserved it and I will say JMU was the better team. It will be interesting to see how JMU fans will react if the Bison win and if they win by a "comfortable" margin.....xeyebrowx

We'll probably come on and say ... we aren't as good as we thought we were. That Thorpe was really good this year, but that the team just didn't have enough spark to win games in which they needed to come out and win a shoot-out ... but that next year's team is primed to be a year better and a NC contendor.

I see JMU this year in the mold of Georgia Southern last year. Late run to make the playoffs, make it to the semis, and return most of the team for a NC run

whitey
December 1st, 2011, 12:25 PM
It will be interesting to see how JMU fans will react if the Bison win and if they win by a "comfortable" margin.....xeyebrowx

If NDSU wins by a comfortable margin it's because NDSU will have beaten JMU and will have beaten JMU good. I'm sure we'll have the usual types that will come up with excuses but none will be justified in my opinion. Whoever wins will be the better team, period. And I, for one, will say congratulations and best of luck to you in the next round.

LakesBison
December 1st, 2011, 12:31 PM
LETS KNOCK THE DICKS OFF THE EAST COAST PRICKS!!

TIME TO START RAMPING THIS UP!!!

THE PARTY STARTS TONIGHT IN FARGO, HIT JT'S FRIDAY AND LABBYS/TAILGATE BEFORE THE GAME AND DOWNTOWN FARGO AFTER GAME!!

whitey
December 1st, 2011, 12:34 PM
but that next year's team is primed to be a year better and a NC contendor.

JMU does have a young team this year. I think there are only 10 seniors, of course most of them start and are impact players (Babington, Bryant, Nelson, etc.)

JmuSkinsfan
December 1st, 2011, 12:44 PM
JMU does have a young team this year. I think there are only 10 seniors, of course most of them start and are impact players (Babington, Bryant, Nelson, etc.)

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2011, 12:44 PM
LETS KNOCK THE DICKS OFF THE EAST COAST PRICKS!!

TIME TO START RAMPING THIS UP!!!

THE PARTY STARTS TONIGHT IN FARGO, HIT JT'S FRIDAY AND LABBYS/TAILGATE BEFORE THE GAME AND DOWNTOWN FARGO AFTER GAME!!

the MAYFLOWER didnt land in Fargo did it? all youz boys ovuh dare started out over here but had to leave for one reason or another

LakesBison
December 1st, 2011, 12:50 PM
caribbean DUDE>. Im gonna be in Puerto Rico in 3 weeks.. lets ****ing party!!

but I WONT goto La Perla..... is that where you live?? (inside joke there)

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2011, 12:50 PM
the MAYFLOWER didnt land in Fargo did it? all youz boys ovuh dare started out over here but had to leave for one reason or another

My family came from Canada.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2011, 01:02 PM
My family came from Canada.

well whenever your fans here that your team is from Canada they get all sensitve

Vitojr130
December 1st, 2011, 01:03 PM

My swedish heritage flocked through to Minnesota via Canada, not Virginia.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2011, 01:04 PM
caribbean DUDE>. Im gonna be in Puerto Rico in 3 weeks.. lets ****ing party!!

but I WONT goto La Perla..... is that where you live?? (inside joke there)

if you know where La Perla is, that puts you on the watch list.... be careful

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2011, 01:05 PM
My swedish heritage flocked through to Minnesota via Canada, not Virginia.

so you guys are all Canadians.... busted

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2011, 01:09 PM

Yeah because growing up 100 miles from the Canadian border makes it so unlikely that some of my family may have come from there.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2011, 01:12 PM
Yeah because growing up 100 miles from the Canadian border makes it so unlikely that some of my family may have come from there.

you just cant have it both was though

LakesBison
December 1st, 2011, 01:14 PM
caribbeanhen.. u get my pm? im trying to figure out where to party and not get shot in san juan, you at 1000+ murders? dayum

Vitojr130
December 1st, 2011, 01:18 PM

I guess if traveling through a country to get from point A to point B equates to you being from said country, then yes.

Vitojr130
December 1st, 2011, 01:19 PM

Unless you are Native American (which I am 25%), then you are from a different country as well, based on your own logic.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2011, 01:20 PM

North Dakota is not Canada. I don't understand why Montana, Maine, Idaho, Washington, Minnesota, Michigan, or any other state that borders Canada gets by that but ND is somehow attached to Canada. True, many of us are descended from Canadians but we are not Canada. Simple geography.

344Johnson
December 1st, 2011, 01:28 PM
Dont understand all the Canuck jokes. If you have ever seen one drive you'd know that there is nothing funny about the people....

FargoBison
December 1st, 2011, 02:01 PM
I've never set foot in Canada....unless you count Grand Forks.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2011, 02:06 PM
I've never set foot in Canada....unless you count Grand Forks.

I got a $76CDN parking ticket once in Winnipeg. They saw the ND plates and new they couldn't get the money from me so it came with a "friendly warning" note attached to it.

Hammerhead
December 1st, 2011, 03:12 PM
You got me. My paternal grandfather emigrated from Germany to Canada where he spent several years before becoming an American. I guess that makes me 1/4 hosehead.

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2011, 03:22 PM
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/Rigmeister89/gwn.jpg
Take off, you hosers!

LakesBison
December 1st, 2011, 07:42 PM
quit with the canada talk late 20's,

how about we pepper spray these punks. seemed to work 2 years ago at JMU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSX5r299yxU&feature=fvsr

Houndawg
December 1st, 2011, 09:05 PM
North Dakota is not Canada. I don't understand why Montana, Maine, Idaho, Washington, Minnesota, Michigan, or any other state that borders Canada gets by that but ND is somehow attached to Canada. True, many of us are descended from Canadians but we are not Canada. Simple geography.

Interesting, another thing those states and Canada all have in common is that they all tell North Dakota jokes.....coincidence? I think not.

LakesBison
December 1st, 2011, 09:13 PM
its too bad about 40% of NDSU is Minnesota you dolt's!

JMUNJ08
December 1st, 2011, 09:38 PM
quit with the canada talk late 20's,

how about we pepper spray these punks. seemed to work 2 years ago at JMU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSX5r299yxU&feature=fvsr

Low blow...hopefully we will be aiming lower!

DJKyR0
December 1st, 2011, 09:52 PM

Well, after 30 days they're all legal residents of North Dakota! Boom!

Squealofthepig
December 1st, 2011, 09:57 PM

Never before has any population so quickly embraced anyone who in turn embraces lutefisk.

DJKyR0
December 1st, 2011, 10:27 PM
Never before has any population so quickly embraced anyone who in turn embraces lutefisk.

Hey, lutefisk (and fleischceuchle) were specialties of Grandma DJKyR0 back in the day and I'm as North Dakota as they come.

Ginsbach
December 1st, 2011, 10:31 PM
Hey, lutefisk (and fleischceuchle) were specialties of Grandma DJKyR0 back in the day and I'm as North Dakota as they come.

Scandinavian and German foods from the same grandmother?

Why, now I've heard everything.

DJKyR0
December 1st, 2011, 10:43 PM
Scandinavian and German foods from the same grandmother?

Why, now I've heard everything.

Contrary to popular belief lutefisk isn't that bad, it just tastes like...well, a little like battery acid. OK, it still sounds pretty bad.

BisonFan02
December 1st, 2011, 11:06 PM
Lefsa.....that's right...come at me

TheBisonator
December 1st, 2011, 11:12 PM
Contrary to popular belief lutefisk isn't that bad, it just tastes like...well, a little like battery acid. OK, it still sounds pretty bad.

Lutefisk is Satan's Feces.

Fleishkukle kicks arse, tho. Fleishkukle and country gravy with mashed potatoes at the NDSU West Dining Center were some of the best evenings of my life.

Gil Dobie
December 2nd, 2011, 05:50 AM
Interesting, another thing those states and Canada all have in common is that they all tell North Dakota jokes.....coincidence? I think not.

Having had a lot of friends from Canada over the years, growing up 1 mile from the nearest Canadian town, most of the jokes are about Yankees or the States, I have never heard a North Dakota Joke from a Canadian. Most jokes I hear in Minnesota are about Iowa & Wisconsin, when I lived in Nebraska it was Iowa. My Wisconsin relatives say on the Wisconsin border there is a car wash for people coming back from Illinois.

Gil Dobie
December 2nd, 2011, 06:03 AM
We will be flying high up to Fargo. No paved roads up there for a bus anyways...

Youall got snow-tires on that bus ;)

http://www.crazyabouttv.com/Images/beverlyhillbillies.jpg

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2011, 06:36 AM

Lutefisk with butter-pepper-garlic is not too bad.

:Dxnodx

NoDak 4 Ever
December 2nd, 2011, 07:46 AM
We will be flying high up to Fargo. No paved roads up there for a bus anyways...

Do y'all even have an airport or do you have to go to Richmond for that?

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 2nd, 2011, 08:12 AM
Do y'all even have an airport or do you have to go to Richmond for that?

Harrisonburg, Charlottesville, Dulles, and Richmond. Dulles being around an hour and a half and Richmond being around the 2 hour mark. Rep added for the "y'all" usage.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 2nd, 2011, 08:19 AM

My family is as Norwegian as you can get and I wouldn't eat lutefisk with a gun to my head.

344Johnson
December 2nd, 2011, 08:21 AM
My family is pretty much all Krauts. I won't eat Sauerkraut with a gun to NoDak 4 Ever's head.

Bison06
December 2nd, 2011, 08:25 AM

Lutefisk has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I don't understand why people pretend to enjoy it, it's awful.

BisonBacker
December 2nd, 2011, 08:32 AM
Lutefisk has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I don't understand why people pretend to enjoy it, it's awful.
The secret is to throw in a piece of wood. Then after cooking for many hours you drain the water, throw out the fish and chew on the wood!

Thunderstruck
December 2nd, 2011, 09:21 AM
did jmu fly into fargo last night?

BisonBacker
December 2nd, 2011, 10:07 AM
according to the Fargo Foolum it sounds like they did.

LakesBison
December 2nd, 2011, 10:25 AM
Time to hit up the Radisson and keep them awake tonight... Party at Radisson with me!

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2011, 10:48 AM
did jmu fly into fargo last night?

yep, safe on deck

TwoFeathers
December 2nd, 2011, 11:46 AM
This is going to be tough. I'll be flipping between the ODU@GSU game, the Maine@Apps game, the Lehigh@Towson and the JMU@NDSU game. Gonna need a bunch of screens.

TwoFeathers
December 2nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
This is going to be tough. I'll be flipping between the ODU@GSU game, the Maine@Apps game, the Lehigh@Towson and the JMU@NDSU game. Gonna need a bunch of screens.

Crap, forgot about the UNH@Montana St. game too... Actually, this may be a good reason for having all these on ESPN3!

Go Bison
December 2nd, 2011, 11:48 AM
Crap, forgot about the UNH@Montana St. game too... Actually, this may be a good reason for having all these on ESPN3!

If you have a Xbox you can watch two on the same screen!

RichH2
December 2nd, 2011, 01:37 PM
If you have a Xbox you can watch two on the same screen!

If you want the total experience should get a PIP monitor. You could watch all the games and a movie at the same timexholyx

JmuSkinsfan
December 2nd, 2011, 04:00 PM
Updated injury report:

LT AJ Scott is going to start Saturday. Big piece to the JMU OL!

Also, CB Taveion Cuffee has been ruled out after rolling his ankle.

Longhorn
December 2nd, 2011, 04:21 PM
Yeah you can. Unless their fall was due to injuries or suspensions they were overrated at the time that you beat them. NDSU beat a ranked Southern Illinois team who we found out later in the season had no business being ranked. Liberty is a decent win but CCSU, Richmond, and W&M all turned out to be paper tigers this year.

Before Richmond's season went in the crapper the Spiders beat Duke...an FBS team no better/no worse than FBS Minnesota. And Richmond's slide from the highly ranked started with a lopsided loss to JMU. Just sayin'

Should be a close game either way, but a JMU win wouldn't be much of an upset IMO.

Longhorn
December 2nd, 2011, 05:00 PM

Huh? The only season stat that truly favors NDSU over JMU is NDSU's per game scoring average. Total offensive production rushing and passing (ypg), with a big advantage running the ball (which also controls the clock) favors JMU. And defensive stats, points allowed, rushing yards and passing yards allowed per game are heavily in favor of JMU.

There's a reason the CAA is considered a tough conference, because it has played in (and won) so many NCs in the last decade. It's a tough, physical conference, top to bottom. I'd suggest you learn to give credit where credit is due. What conference is best this year? A single team capable of winning a NC (ala App State) can lay claim to being the best in the land, but that claim doesn't (by extension) describe the strength of an entire conference. So, perhaps NDSU can win the NC this year...or perhaps it will be Montana...or GSU...or any one of the other teams in the playoffs, including the 5 teams from the CAA still in play. That NC, however, won't mean that team's conference is the best. On the other hand, W-L records posted during the season by a conference against out of conference teams is a good measure of the true strength of a conference..and this year's OOC record by the CAA (like most years) is unmatched by any other league. JMU, like all the teams still in the playoffs, is a darn good team, and JMU has been tested throughout the season against top competition. Your so-called "power rankings" and polls are always subject to human err. Proving it on the field is the only true answer. So, if you want to believe there's an "East Coast" bias that's your right, but when it comes to CAA teams in the playoffs, they've proven their prowess on the field again, and again and again, season after season. To date, this season, the CAA is 2-0 in the playoffs. After tomorrow's games we will all have a much better answer to who's conference is "real" and who's been a "pretender." I wouldn't bet against the CAA teams.

LakesBison
December 2nd, 2011, 05:24 PM
I will be screaming my lungs out in the student section and throwing stuff at any JMU fans that try to throw their streamers

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2011, 10:35 PM
CSJ Preview:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/78-college-sports-journal/david-coulson/130-an-fcs-history-lesson-for-sam-houston-state

ST_Lawson
December 2nd, 2011, 11:55 PM
If you want the total experience should get a PIP monitor. You could watch all the games and a movie at the same timexholyx

4-screen mode for ESPN3 + computer hooked up to LCD TV = sitting on the couch watching 4 games at once and checking the scores for the rest on the laptop.

AppMAN04
December 3rd, 2011, 06:49 AM
LETS GO JMU!!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 3rd, 2011, 07:07 AM
I cannot wait for this game today.

IMO, JMU is not balanced enough to beat the Bison. They might be able to run some during the game but they will need to pass to win. The Bison defense is #2 in the nation....and they will prove that today.

Bison win 34-13

AppMAN04
December 3rd, 2011, 07:18 AM
I cannot wait for this game today.

IMO, JMU is not balanced enough to beat the Bison. They might be able to run some during the game but they will need to pass to win. The Bison defense is #2 in the nation....and they will prove that today.

Bison win 34-13

You are correct, JMU needs to pass the ball and have more of a balanced attack.. Im more or
less want to humble NDSU.... I dont it will be that much of a smackin though

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 3rd, 2011, 07:31 AM
You are correct, JMU needs to pass the ball and have more of a balanced attack.. Im more or
less want to humble NDSU.... I dont it will be that much of a smackin though

Whatever "floats your boat" bud. Many probably want NDSU to lose to shut up some of our posters on here....understandable. But it will not change the fact that JMU is too 1-dimensional to beat very good FCS teams. EKU is not NDSU...esp on defense. Our Tampa-2 defense will bend during the game but JMU needs to pass to win. 3rd and long and running the ball will not move the chains consistently.

Maybe I'm wrong but we'll see in 7.5 hours.

GO BISON

whitey
December 3rd, 2011, 09:47 AM
Ugggh. I CAN'T WAIT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJshw2Axsqc&feature=related) for this game!

LakesBison
December 3rd, 2011, 11:29 AM
tailgating is packed,NDSU fans are freakin hyped up. wow!

UNIFanSince1983
December 3rd, 2011, 11:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3njjD41f48

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2011, 03:05 PM
Screw you ESPN. We don't get the beginning of the game on Gameplan.

Gil Dobie
December 3rd, 2011, 03:22 PM
New player for NDSU DJ McFadden ;)

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2011, 03:48 PM
Boy, this thread is awfully quiet. I wonder where all the JMU comments are about their super great linebackers and amazing line are?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2011, 03:53 PM
Crowd noise a factor exactly as I predicted.

darell1976
December 3rd, 2011, 04:09 PM
With the JMU TD I am sure there will be some.

darell1976
December 3rd, 2011, 04:09 PM
JMU 7
NDSU 7 :22 2Q

darell1976
December 3rd, 2011, 04:15 PM
53 yd FG

NDSU 10
JMU 7 Halftime

Dignan
December 3rd, 2011, 04:17 PM
Unbelievable.

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2011, 04:20 PM
Keep throwing at Marcus Williams Thorpe. I'm sure there will be two more dropped INTs and two more horse**** calls in the 2nd half

darell1976
December 3rd, 2011, 04:58 PM
XP blocked

JMU 7
NDSU 16 3Q

bisonguy
December 3rd, 2011, 05:23 PM
NDSU adds another 3.

19-7, 9:00 remaining.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 3rd, 2011, 05:27 PM
This game is over.

JMU does not have the offense to get back into this game.

See you guys in Fargo assuming we can get by Maine.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2011, 05:30 PM
This game is over.

JMU does not have the offense to get back into this game.

See you guys in Fargo assuming we can get by Maine.

Not so fast....

bisonguy
December 3rd, 2011, 05:33 PM
JMU scores a TD, NDSU responds on the first play of the ensuing drive with a TD.

26-14 Bison 7:13 remaining.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2011, 05:34 PM
Whew, Thank you DJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cleets
December 3rd, 2011, 05:35 PM
That HUGE offensive line is athletic - that dude 63 can flat out MOVE
He's a pancaker

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2011, 05:46 PM
I don't believe it Bison fans but you're next game is against Lafayette's evil twin rival, Lehigh... what a strange world.

Hammerhead
December 3rd, 2011, 05:52 PM
Where is that JMU speed we kept hearing about on the message boards and from the TV announcers? NDSU has a 26-14 lead with less than 2 minutes to go.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2011, 05:52 PM
What I can't believe is this thread was 33 pages before the game and 2 since. Looks like it worked out exactly as we thought.

Cleets
December 3rd, 2011, 05:54 PM
JMU just lacks a big play style...
They are not a "Play from behind" kind of offense at all

NDSU has never seemed to work hard to hold JMU off, just kind of clock management game for them

MplsBison
December 3rd, 2011, 05:58 PM
Where is that JMU speed we kept hearing about on the message boards and from the TV announcers? NDSU has a 26-14 lead with less than 2 minutes to go.

Last time I checked, a touchdown was still worth 6 points no matter how fast you ran the ball across the goal line.

That's why I don't get the "speed is everything" religion that the college football flock is fixated on at the moment.

How are 11 little, fast guys going to stop 11 huge guys from just ramming the ball down their throat play after play?

Hammerhead
December 3rd, 2011, 06:03 PM
I wasn't minimizing the need for speed. It's just funny how people think the Bison aren't fast enough to compete in the playoffs.

MplsBison
December 3rd, 2011, 06:04 PM
I wasn't minimizing the need for speed. It's just funny how people think the Bison aren't fast enough to compete in the playoffs.

Then again, as I was implying - how does speed, by itself, prove anything??

Oh wow, great - your team consists of a bunch of 100m champions. You must be good, right?

AmsterBison
December 3rd, 2011, 06:05 PM
With Ryan Smith out for this game, it's really lucky that NDSU wasn't lined up against Maine - man, do they have a great defense.

Really like JMU's pass defense but like NDSU's rush defense a little more (holding them to under 100 yards rushing is pretty good.)

TheBisonator
December 3rd, 2011, 06:06 PM

That old-*** turf may carry us to Frisco.

gsu6trophies
December 3rd, 2011, 06:10 PM

Who said that?

darell1976
December 3rd, 2011, 06:12 PM
Good game NDSU. My son enjoyed the game seeing his first ever FCS playoff game in person. KVLY said it was 18,026 at the game....it sounded loud on the radio. Good luck next week.

gsu6trophies
[QUOTE=Pard4Life;1739733]I don't believe it Bison fans but you're next game is against Lafayette's evil twin rival, Lehigh... what a strange world.[/QUO

says the fan of the team who will not go far in the playoffs. Lehigh will win by two touchdowns. yak yak

Gothmog
Last time I checked, a touchdown was still worth 6 points no matter how fast you ran the ball across the goal line.

That's why I don't get the "speed is everything" religion that the college football flock is fixated on at the moment.

How are 11 little, fast guys going to stop 11 huge guys from just ramming the ball down their throat play after play?

Alternatively, how are 11 big slow guys going to stop 11 little fast guys from just playing catch play after play?

MplsBison
December 3rd, 2011, 06:17 PM
Alternatively, how are 11 big slow guys going to stop 11 little fast guys from just playing catch play after play?

Sack the QB.

Gothmog
December 3rd, 2011, 06:23 PM
Sack the QB.

The point is you need to be balanced - NDSU has great balance.

MplsBison
December 3rd, 2011, 06:29 PM
The point is you need to be balanced - NDSU has great balance.

Sure, balance.

So like I said - why so much emphasis on speed, speed, speed....must have speed...speed is the only thing that matters....sell your soul for speed.

Why?

NDB
December 3rd, 2011, 09:51 PM
I was disappointed by JMU.

They were the fourth best team to play the Bison Fargo this year after UNI, Illinois State, and Youngstown State.

I was baffled by their inability to run a two minute offense at the end of the game. They conceded defeat because of a shallow playbook.

TwoFeathers
December 3rd, 2011, 09:58 PM
I was disappointed by JMU.

They were the fourth best team to play the Bison Fargo this year after UNI, Illinois State, and Youngstown State.

I was baffled by their inability to run a two minute offense at the end of the game. They conceded defeat because of a shallow playbook.

JMU's offense is horrible. Even JMU fans admit that. They are one-dimensional and not very good at running the option. Most say they should not have been in the playoffs to begin with. Their defense is respectible, and I think NDSU would agree with that. But they just can't score points. Look at their record, and the EKU game. NDSU pulled a lucky second-round draw, in my opinion. And didn't rout JMU as would be expected. JMU has ALOT of work to do.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2011, 10:08 PM
JMU's offense is horrible. Even JMU fans admit that. They are one-dimensional and not very good at running the option. Most say they should not have been in the playoffs to begin with. Their defense is respectible, and I think NDSU would agree with that. But they just can't score points. Look at their record, and the EKU game. NDSU pulled a lucky second-round draw, in my opinion. And didn't rout JMU as would be expected. JMU has ALOT of work to do.

Oh stop it. You know JMU wasn't the worst team in the tourney. It is such a common tactic to diminish a win by talking down a team. That didn't happen. There is no reason why JMU shouldn't have made it competitive. NDSU did what they do, control the line of scrimmage and run, run, run. Same thing would have happened with ODU, Maine, or whoever.

Twentysix
December 3rd, 2011, 10:09 PM
It can still happen with Maine.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2011, 10:11 PM
It can still happen with Maine.

God, remember how all week it was Thorpe this and Scott that and how they were going to drop 250 yds rushing and TOP and blah blah blah? Now that they lost they just weren't that great, which is the only reason NDSU won.

TwoFeathers
December 3rd, 2011, 10:12 PM
Oh stop it. You know JMU wasn't the worst team in the tourney. It is such a common tactic to diminish a win by talking down a team. That didn't happen. There is no reason why JMU shouldn't have made it competitive. NDSU did what they do, control the line of scrimmage and run, run, run. Same thing would have happened with ODU, Maine, or whoever.

Wasn't it NDSU's coach that said they shouldn't have been in the playoffs? I'm not a JMU fan, quite the opposite. They are our biggest rival. And they've beat us 2 years in a row with that foolish running offense.

I'm not sure if you saw the JMU @ EKU game, but that is another team everybody was saying should not have been in the playoffs, and JMU nearly lost that one. They are really not that good.

Twentysix
December 3rd, 2011, 10:13 PM
I remember very well.. they also have the best defense in the CAA... Warren Holloway was the only reciever on the field and they looked hilarious against both the pass and the run.

I also remember how fast they were gonna be on astroturf and then i watch DJ mcnorton outrun their corners... DJ isnt even in the top 3 fastest players on our team imo...

P.s. holy **** this game has 1500 comments on espn conversations

TwoFeathers
December 3rd, 2011, 10:16 PM
I remember very well.. they also have the best defense in the CAA... Warren Holloway was the only reciever on the field and they looked hilarious against both the pass and the run.

I also remember how fast they were gonna be on astroturf and then i watch DJ mcnorton outrun their corners... DJ isnt even in the top 3 fastest players on our team imo...

P.s. holy **** this game has 1500 comments on espn conversations

Defense is respectible. Best in the CAA? Not sure about that (ie. Maine). However, the offense is hap-hazard at best.

FargoBison
December 3rd, 2011, 10:18 PM
Wasn't it NDSU's coach that said they shouldn't have been in the playoffs? I'm not a JMU fan, quite the opposite. They are our biggest rival. And they've beat us 2 years in a row with that foolish running offense.

I'm not sure if you saw the JMU @ EKU game, but that is another team everybody was saying should not have been in the playoffs, and JMU nearly lost that one. They are really not that good.

Our coach would never say that about any team. You might be thinking of Illinois State's coach.

I think JMU was a tough draw, they play solid defense and don't make mistakes. You've got to beat them, they won't beat themselves.

Honestly I'd put them on par with YSU and Ill State.

Twentysix
December 3rd, 2011, 10:20 PM
Defense is respectible. Best in the CAA? Not sure about that (ie. Maine). However, the offense is hap-hazard at best.

Uhuh. http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/7812/jmustats.png

I would also put them on par with YSU and ISUr/b.

They would finish 4-6 in the valley this year.

Twentysix
December 3rd, 2011, 11:23 PM
So JMU fans, was our 117 db reading louder than your UNC game? :p

TwoFeathers
December 3rd, 2011, 11:26 PM
So JMU fans, was our 117 db reading louder than your UNC game? :p

Yeah, but you guys got to upgrade that facility. That field-turf stuff aint that expensive...

Twentysix
December 3rd, 2011, 11:28 PM
Yeah, but you guys got to upgrade that facility. That field-turf stuff aint that expensive...

NDSU can't it has to do with the contract. The Fargodome is installing new turf for next season though.

If NDSU could make upgrades to the building they would happen..

bisonguy
December 3rd, 2011, 11:30 PM

It is if there's a conversion system involved. The Fargodome turf will be replaced before the start of next season, but at a cost of over $3MM. That will allow the turf to be one seamless piece that can be stored in a pit similar to what is currently in place.

FargoBison
December 3rd, 2011, 11:32 PM

We are getting it this summer but $2.52 million is pretty expensive though.

bisonguy
December 3rd, 2011, 11:34 PM
NDSU can't it has to do with the contract. The Fargodome is installing new turf for next season though.

NDSU probably wouldn't have made the upgrade already. The Fargodome/NDSU was waiting to see how inferior the other conversion systems were. After all the headaches and complaints that have surfaced with the rolls or tray systems, I'm glad they waited for the Magic Carpet II.

FargoBison
December 3rd, 2011, 11:34 PM

NDSU could probably make a lot of upgrades, they'd just have to get approval and pay for it all.

Twentysix
December 3rd, 2011, 11:44 PM
sbohe would never approve a fdd upgrade xtwocentsx

MplsBison
December 4th, 2011, 04:52 AM

The moron who designed the FD decided that one of the end-zones (too lazy to look up which one) should be able to move down to the other end of the field on a track in the concrete floor. That way for bball and hockey games, instead of having to set-up modular seating (like the Metrodome did just fine for the NCAA bball regional in 2009) they would just roll the thing down to the other end.

But of course that means the turf can't be permanently installed like every other major dome has. So instead of just admitting it was a stupid design the FD management put their own greed in front of player health and safety and said they would not budge on upgrading the turf until a system could be developed that mimicked the magic carpet (roll up and stuff into a storage compartment). That was just developed a year or two ago, which conveniently gave the FD enough time to squeeze every last little drop of juice out of the existing magic carpet.

So there you go, stupidity and greed is why NDSU is one of the last football programs in country to still be playing on the worst surface ever created.

MplsBison
December 4th, 2011, 04:54 AM
NDSU probably wouldn't have made the upgrade already. The Fargodome/NDSU was waiting to see how inferior the other conversion systems were. After all the headaches and complaints that have surfaced with the rolls or tray systems, I'm glad they waited for the Magic Carpet II.

Or they could've just done a permanent install and set-up modular seating on plywood sheets on top of the turf. You know, like every other major dome in the country.

Yep, could've done that years ago and said to heck with the stupid floating end-zone design. It was just an excuse to milk every last cent from the initial magic carpet investment.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 4th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Recap of this game and the other second-round matchups:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/78-college-sports-journal/david-coulson/131-fcs-wrap-up-refreshed-maine-stuns-appalachian-state

AmsterBison
December 4th, 2011, 03:21 PM

Man, I hate that crap turf NDSU has and sure hope it didn't contribute to any JMU injuries. It really takes a toll on our players since they've played 7 games on what amounts to green concrete.

The new turf is coming next year - I'm just hoping they don't put a baby-diarrhea yellow pinwheel on the 50. BTW, did the 40-yard long F A R G O D O M E logos on the turf do anything for you? I know that it makes me want to find the cars of the people responsible so I can paint the exact same thing on their car's hoods.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7025/6455155523_a73946d4c3_o.png

It's puzzling because pretty much everything in the Fargodome besides the turf is top-notch (you should see the offices/locker rooms that NDSU put in - looks like a Bond villian's Bison-themed lair.)

However, replacing the turf is not as easy as you might think. The Fargodome is multipurpose and they reconfigure it for small shows and basketball games too so the turf has to be removable. It's going to take structural work to the Fargodome to get the new stuff in. If they purposesly make the turf ugly again, I think that there might be some serious blowback.

bisonguy
December 4th, 2011, 03:46 PM
The moron who designed the FD decided that one of the end-zones (too lazy to look up which one) should be able to move down to the other end of the field on a track in the concrete floor. That way for bball and hockey games, instead of having to set-up modular seating (like the Metrodome did just fine for the NCAA bball regional in 2009) they would just roll the thing down to the other end.

But of course that means the turf can't be permanently installed like every other major dome has. So instead of just admitting it was a stupid design the FD management put their own greed in front of player health and safety and said they would not budge on upgrading the turf until a system could be developed that mimicked the magic carpet (roll up and stuff into a storage compartment). That was just developed a year or two ago, which conveniently gave the FD enough time to squeeze every last little drop of juice out of the existing magic carpet.

So there you go, stupidity and greed is why NDSU is one of the last football programs in country to still be playing on the worst surface ever created.

There is no track in the concrete that the south bleachers roll on. They float on air jets.

The Fargodome isn't a "major" dome, whatever that means. Look at UNI or NAU and the issues they're having with their installs. There isn't enough staff at the Fargodome to deal with sheets of plywood over the surface. If it was a 40 or 60k seat facility, there might be more facility staff so that might be a more viable option.

swaghook
December 4th, 2011, 04:14 PM

someone is stupid here but it wasn't the designers of the Fargodome. It is not solely a football facility it would be in the red ink deeper then the tin shed up north if it was not designed to host a variety of other events when the Bison are not playing at the dome. The astroturf is less then the best but it is being replaced next year so why ***** about it now? Like Amsterbison said we have a right to ***** if they slap Fargodome and Fargodome logo on it as is present.

MplsBison
December 4th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Man, I hate that crap turf NDSU has and sure hope it didn't contribute to any JMU injuries. It really takes a toll on our players since they've played 7 games on what amounts to green concrete.

The new turf is coming next year - I'm just hoping they don't put a baby-diarrhea yellow pinwheel on the 50. BTW, did the 40-yard long F A R G O D O M E logos on the turf do anything for you? I know that it makes me want to find the cars of the people responsible so I can paint the exact same thing on their car's hoods.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7025/6455155523_a73946d4c3_o.png

It's puzzling because pretty much everything in the Fargodome besides the turf is top-notch (you should see the offices/locker rooms that NDSU put in - looks like a Bond villian's Bison-themed lair.)

However, replacing the turf is not as easy as you might think. The Fargodome is multipurpose and they reconfigure it for small shows and basketball games too so the turf has to be removable. It's going to take structural work to the Fargodome to get the new stuff in. If they purposesly make the turf ugly again, I think that there might be some serious blowback.

That's odd. I could've sworn the Metrodome has hosted major concerts, monster trucks, NCAA regional bball tournaments -- all while having a permanently installed turf surface.

Someone probably should've told them they were supposed to only have turf that could be removed.

MplsBison
December 4th, 2011, 06:57 PM
There is no track in the concrete that the south bleachers roll on. They float on air jets.

The Fargodome isn't a "major" dome, whatever that means. Look at UNI or NAU and the issues they're having with their installs. There isn't enough staff at the Fargodome to deal with sheets of plywood over the surface. If it was a 40 or 60k seat facility, there might be more facility staff so that might be a more viable option.

Whatever - track, air jets - the point was that the Fargodome management used that as the excuse for why the turf couldn't be replaced. The Fargodome is the only football-sized dome facility in the country that I'm aware of where an entire piece of the seating detaches from the building and "floats" down to the other side of the floor.

They could've very easily installed a permanent turf surface and assembled/disassembled seating at the other side for other configurations. They just didn't want to spend the money and they could've cared less how many football players got hurt on that horrible surface (and possible can still be hurt).

MplsBison
December 4th, 2011, 06:58 PM
someone is stupid here but it wasn't the designers of the Fargodome. It is not solely a football facility it would be in the red ink deeper then the tin shed up north if it was not designed to host a variety of other events when the Bison are not playing at the dome. The astroturf is less then the best but it is being replaced next year so why ***** about it now? Like Amsterbison said we have a right to ***** if they slap Fargodome and Fargodome logo on it as is present.

Read the other posts above. The safer, new style turf could've been installed years ago as a permanent install.

Nothing would've stopped the dome from hosting any of the events they've hosted in their existence if they would've installed a permanent surface. They did it the cheapest possible way they could do it - a way no other dome in the country does it. Piss on 'em.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 4th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Read the other posts above. The safer, new style turf could've been installed years ago as a permanent install.

Nothing would've stopped the dome from hosting any of the events they've hosted in their existence if they would've installed a permanent surface. They did it the cheapest possible way they could do it - a way no other dome in the country does it. Piss on 'em.

Maybe you should have written a check a few years ago payable to "City of Fargo"

JmuSkinsfan
December 4th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Hey, NDSU, great game. It took me some time to get over the game and bring myself to get back onto the message boards but that game was a battle. I have to give major props to the NDSU defense ... especially in their shutting down of the JMU rushing attack ... we really could not get anything going. The game really turned into a defensive battle ... Here's to meeting up in the future in the tournament.