PDA

View Full Version : Albany at Stony Brook - Game Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Play action and a first down to Parker at the SBU 7. 1:20 left

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Pass complete to Smith, who goes to the three. Great game. Time out by Stony Brook with 54.4 seconds left on the clock.

Wildcat80
November 26th, 2011, 04:03 PM
SB has a Jekyll & Hyde defense. Hyde is out there now.

UMass922
November 26th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Oh my goodness. Albany, Albany . . .

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Throw into double coverage in the end zone is tipped by Porter and intercepted by Dominick Reyes.

Wildcat80
okay they called timeout to put Doctor Jekyll in!?

Dane96
McCarthy is a complete moron...period.

Mr. C
Victory formation for Stony Brook and a great first-round game in the playoffs.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
That guy in the EZ was NEVER open, a terrible decision by the QB.

Mr. C
Final

Stony Brook 31
Albany 28

LEHIGH61
November 26th, 2011, 04:05 PM
What the hell was that coach thinking? Stupid call!

Wildcat80
Congrats to stony brook!!! Now we both need to win next week!

aceinthehole
Ugh .... Great effort by Albany for the NEC.

kdinva
November 26th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Congrats to Stony, first win for the Big South........

Sam_Kats
Congrats to SB. Come on down to Texas.

Dane96
That guy in the EZ was NEVER open, a terrible decision by the QB.

**** that...terrible play call. You have 4 plays, 3 timeouts and 3 yards to punch it in.

That's ridiculous playcalling.

LEHIGH61
November 26th, 2011, 04:07 PM
A BONEHEAD CALL

Sader87
November 26th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Brian Sipe comes to mind.....

gsu6trophies
November 26th, 2011, 04:08 PM
bonehead play. just throw it out the back of the endzone.

danefan
November 26th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I'm drinking heavily tonight see you guys in 3 days when I recover.

Dane96
November 26th, 2011, 04:09 PM
He shouldnt have been in a position to make that decision of throwing it out or wherever. You hammer it in on the run.

Dane96
November 26th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I'm drinking heavily tonight see you guys in 3 days when I recover.

With you brother...with you.

I am already doing shots...

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 26th, 2011, 04:10 PM
**** that...terrible play call. You have 4 plays, 3 timeouts and 3 yards to punch it in.

No argument. But once you've called the pass and the guy's not open, then you air mail it out of the EZ over the guy's head. I thought he's throw it to the back on the right side who looked open early.

Dane96
November 26th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Yeah...he was open.

401ks
November 26th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I feel sorry for the Albany players. They deserved to win this.

WORST....CALL....EVER....

Followed by: Horrible decision to throw into double coverage...

Followed by: Horrible throw

xcrazyx

Bearwitness
November 26th, 2011, 04:15 PM
It wasn't a bad call, just a bad play by Di Lella. Throw it away if the receiver is covered! He was flirting with disaster the whole fourth quarter staring down his receivers and an interception was just waiting to happen.

The better team won and the Seawolves will give SHU a more competitive game than Albany ever could, not that I expect them to win.

401ks
November 26th, 2011, 04:17 PM
The better team won and the Seawolves will give SHU a more competitive game than Albany ever could, not that I expect them to win.

xeyebrowx

Pretty tough statement to make by anyone who actually watched the game.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 26th, 2011, 04:20 PM
No moral victories, but a tremendous performance by Albany. What are we talking 25 fewer scholarships?

I have a feeling that Danefan and Dane96 feel right now like I did a couple of years ago at UA when we threw away an inbounds pass in the AE semi-final hoop game against Bingo. I was so crushed that I couldn't even get drunk! xbangx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Sader87
November 26th, 2011, 04:24 PM
DiLella was playing with fire that entire last drive....caught up to him.

Bearwitness
November 26th, 2011, 04:25 PM
xeyebrowx

Pretty tough statement to make by anyone who actually watched the game.
I did watch the game and a couple of others Albany played this year. I'm just not that impressed with Di Lella.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I wonder if Newsday's Stephen Marcus has ANY respect for FCS after watching a game like that?

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 04:35 PM
It wasn't a bad call, just a bad play by Di Lella. Throw it away if the receiver is covered! He was flirting with disaster the whole fourth quarter staring down his receivers and an interception was just waiting to happen.

Di Lella took FULL responsibility for it in the post-game news conference. He said he should have thrown the ball off the scoreboard.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Announced attendance of 8,286 was the biggest in LaValle Stadium history.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 04:37 PM

Albany had ONE time out left, not three.

Sader87
November 26th, 2011, 04:38 PM

Smallish but neat looking stadium....I wouldn't mind seeing HC play there.

Engineer86
November 26th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Di Lella took FULL responsibility for it in the post-game news conference. He said he should have thrown the ball off the scoreboard.

He is right, I was shocked he threw that. A really tough lose to swallow.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 04:39 PM
What the hell was that coach thinking? Stupid call!

Coach Ford said they thought they could fool Stony Brook with play action on the play. But Di Lella forced the ball into double coverage. If he throws it away, he has a couple of more chance for the Danes to tie, or win it.

Engineer86
November 26th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Albany had ONE time out left, not three.

But they did have around 50 seconds. Time was not an issue. I don't mind the play call, but he has to know you take NO chances when you need the FG to tie.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 26th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Congrats on the win Stony Brook!!

katstrapper
November 26th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I thought the RB in the flat was open ....

kdinva
November 26th, 2011, 04:42 PM

Fine support by the SBU (and UA) fans, etc.........beats the heck out of the 2400 at EKU! xlolx

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/scores/final/boxscore.aspx?GAMEID=35097

Seawolf97
November 26th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Hats off to the Great Danes for a great game Down by 18 I really thought it was over for SBU and in most games it would have been. Now to get ready for a trip to Texas!

Seawolf97
November 26th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Fine support by the SBU (and UA) fans, etc.........beats the heck out of the 2400 at EKU! xlolx

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/scores/final/boxscore.aspx?GAMEID=35097

Record crowd for football but we had 10,124 for StonyBrook vs Virgina in the 2010 Mens Quarter Finals in Lacrosse at SBU. Our football following is really starting to gel this season alot of families showing up for games.

GSU Eagle
November 26th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Went back and watched the last Albany drive in the game today on ESPN3 Replay. Stony Brook got a tremendous break at the end of the game. What was Albany doing? 2nd and goal at the 2 yard line and the QB throws a ball falling away toward the back of the end zone. Sometimes you need breaks and Stony Brook got a big one today. At the worst that game should have gone to OT.

All I have to say is "Wow" at the play called there at the end that Stony Brook intercepted.

jaghatai
November 26th, 2011, 09:37 PM
My take from the stands...

UA's touchdowns basically came from 2 gimmick half-back passes, a blocked punt, and a touchdown pass with 11 seconds to go in the half. Other than the last drive, they didn't really have a sustained offense. Points are points, and you take them any way you can get them.

UA's defense was very good. They played the run extremely well, and if it wasn't for the fact that they were on the field for 40+ minutes, they would've been fine.

The touchdown drives from SBU were all after very quick UA drives. The defense wasn't on the sidelines long enough to grab a gatorade, let alone make adjustments.

End result, the Danes should have no reason to hang their heads. They played a tremendous game, and while you don't want to hang this loss on any one person, it basically comes down to some pretty poor play calling in the second half. The QB made a bad decision, granted, but at the end of the day, he never should have been in that spot in the first place.

Mr. C
November 27th, 2011, 02:04 AM
This creates an interesting matchup for round two between Stony Brook and Sam Houston State. The No. 3 rushing team and No. 1 scoring team against the No. 1 rushing defense and the No. 2 overall defense in FCS. SHSU is also No. 1 in scoring defense. I know that SBU will need to bring its "A" game, but the Seawolves have played a much tougher schedule than Sam Houston State and already have a playoff win under their belts.

lionsrking2
November 27th, 2011, 04:35 AM
This creates an interesting matchup for round two between Stony Brook and Sam Houston State. The No. 3 rushing team and No. 1 scoring team against the No. 1 rushing defense and the No. 2 overall defense in FCS. SHSU is also No. 1 in scoring defense. I know that SBU will need to bring its "A" game, but the Seawolves have played a much tougher schedule than Sam Houston State and already have a playoff win under their belts.

That's BS! They haven't played a "much tougher schedule" than Sam Houston ... I'll give you two FBS schools to Sam's one, but you're smoking something lethal if you think the rest of that schedule is much better than what Sam played.

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Sammy about to be 11-1.... go Stoney Brook

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 27th, 2011, 07:00 AM

That is a complete joke!

The EKU/JMU game should have been played at JMU....period. 2388....what a joke!

Mr. C
November 27th, 2011, 07:59 AM
That's BS! They haven't played a "much tougher schedule" than Sam Houston ... I'll give you two FBS schools to Sam's one, but you're smoking something lethal if you think the rest of that schedule is much better than what Sam played.

You can get all indignant if you want, but the Southland wasn't a very good conference this fall. Even some of the traditional powers in the league were not good. McNeese State was down. SFA was way down from where it had been. Central Arkansas was about the only real competition in the league and the only playoff team SHSU played. Stony Brook played UTEP and Buffalo, both vastly superior to New Mexico in the FBS ranks (one writer on Saturday at Stony Brook, who is a New Mexico ALUM, called New Mexico the WORST team in FBS and said that SHSU might have gone 6-5 in the SoCon). Stony Brook has played Liberty (ranked all season) and Albany the past two weeks, teams that are a lot better than anyone SHSU has played in weeks. Sure, Stony Brook may not have played in the toughest conference either, but SHSU has played one competitive team, UCA (two if you count New Mexico), all year. To overcome that in the playoffs is going to be a huge task.

kingkat99
November 27th, 2011, 08:22 AM
To say that Big South is a "much tougher schedule" than the Southland is a reach at best. It wouldn't matter if SH beat 4 FBS schools by 50 anyway, many people here would still say "its the Southland" which is beginning to be perceived as the new pioneer conference on this board, so the Kats and the Southland will have to prove it on the field and I'm ok with that.

Sam_Kats
November 27th, 2011, 08:23 AM
We shall see - it will be the same every week. People will think we'll fall to SB. Then the following week to MSU. Then to the Griz. It's never going to change. So be it. See y'all in Texas.

Same with UCA. They win yesterday and it's "oh well." And that was against a Tenn Tech team who beat the EKU team which gave JMU all it could handle.

tribefan40
November 27th, 2011, 08:38 AM
We shall see - it will be the same every week. People will think we'll fall to SB. Then the following week to MSU. Then to the Griz. It's never going to change. So be it. See y'all in Texas.

Same with UCA. They win yesterday and it's "oh well." And that was against a Tenn Tech team who beat the EKU team which gave JMU all it could handle.

JMU? As in the last and 5th team in from the CAA? UCA got a nice win and will most likely meet their end on saturday after a fine season. I will be very surprised if SHSU doesn't destroy SBU on saturday, given all that we've heard from fans such as yourself. Should be a fun matchup to watch.

Mr. C
November 27th, 2011, 08:46 AM
To say that Big South is a "much tougher schedule" than the Southland is a reach at best. It wouldn't matter if SH beat 4 FBS schools by 50 anyway, many people here would still say "its the Southland" which is beginning to be perceived as the new pioneer conference on this board, so the Kats and the Southland will have to prove it on the field and I'm ok with that.

I just mapped out the games. UTEP (which Stony Brook out-played and should have beaten) and Buffalo, Liberty and Albany are better games than what SHSU, minus the UCA game. That's four tough games, compared to ONE tough game for SHSU — and that horrendous FBS team you played and needed OT to beat. What other tough games did SHSU play and what was the record of the Bearkats' opposition this season?

Mr. C
November 27th, 2011, 08:48 AM

I didn't say that the Big South schedule was "much tougher," I said the SBU schedule was tougher than anything SHSU had to face. The Southland is usually around the fifth best conference and sometimes challenges higher in the FCS universe. But anyone who doesn't think the league wasn't down big time this fall isn't dealing with reality.

Mr. C
November 27th, 2011, 08:50 AM

I saw and read everywhere that UCA was getting a lot of credit for a VERY solid road playoff win on Saturday. We all know that the Bears have closed the season in strong fashion. I look forward to a nice battle for UCA with Montana next weekend. How does UCA play in cold weather?

kingkat99
November 27th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I just mapped out the games. UTEP (which Stony Brook out-played and should have beaten) and Buffalo, Liberty and Albany are better games than what SHSU, minus the UCA game. That's four tough games, compared to ONE tough game for SHSU — and that horrendous FBS team you played and needed OT to beat. What other tough games did SHSU play and what was the record of the Bearkats' opposition this season?

The record of SHSU opponents was an ugly 46-68 and the record of the jaugernaut schedule of teams SB played(prior to Albany) and including the mighty St. Anslem was 27-84. Don't misunderstand me I'm in no way saying that Sam Houston played a tough schedule or that the Southland is in anyway a powerhouse, but to say SB is going to roll into Huntsville and show us how to play football based on their wins over Liberty, Albany and a OT loss to UTEP is dumb...I expect a close game that cxould go either way, but I can tell you with certainty that they won't comeback 3 scores down like they did ysterday if they are losing like that next week...