View Full Version : Bruce "Almighty" Eugene impresses with arm

MACHIAVELLI
May 15th, 2006, 08:49 AM
http://www.gramblingstateuniversity.com/bruce99[1].jpg

Eugene impresses with arm, not with weight
5/13/2006, 8:14 p.m. CT
By BRETT MARTEL
The Associated Press

METAIRIE, La. (AP) — While putting up big numbers as Grambling's quarterback, Bruce Eugene also played big — as in 312 pounds, rather hefty for his position.

Eugene looked a lot slimmer at the opening of Saints rookie camp on Saturday, having lowered his weight to 255, but he was still not as light as head coach Sean Payton would have liked.

"We've got to get him in shape because he's too heavy right now. He's close to being a guard and not a quarterback," Payton said.

Eugene smiled when he heard about Payton comparing his body to that of an offensive lineman.

"That's coach Payton," Eugene said.

Eugene's weight didn't prevent him from being involved in practice. He got as many repetitions as any quarterback at camp and uncorked numerous strong throws.

http://www.nola.com/newsflash/louisiana/index.ssf?/base/sports-10/1147569549153410.xml&storylist=louisiana

3rd Coast Tiger
May 15th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Great job ICON product!!!

Ohhhh if he would have only signed with Texas Southern and not Grambling!!! :D

Randy Hymes for that matter too!

MACHIAVELLI
May 15th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Great job ICON product!!!

Ohhhh if he would have only signed with Texas Southern and not Grambling!!! :D

Randy Hymes for that matter too!

:D :smiley_wi :) xlolx :nod:

putter
May 15th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Wow dropped 60lbs to 255! Good for Bruce. I hope he has a good camp and can make the roster. :hurray:

mikebigg
May 16th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Wow dropped 60lbs to 255! Good for Bruce. I hope he has a good camp and can make the roster. :hurray:

Thanks man... I tell you one thing, he definitely shed a lot of weight. Hope he can keep it off. I'm biased for Grambling guys, but even if I wasn't such an ICON guy I would still have been impressed with Bruce's talent. That dude can throw the rock!

MACHIAVELLI
June 4th, 2006, 03:37 PM
New Orleans Saints:
TWO PLAYERS CUT: Rookie free agents Joel Klatt, a quarterback from Colorado, and Chris Moore, a linebacker from East Carolina, were cut Friday and replaced with a pair of veterans -- linebackers Tommy Polley and Jay Foreman.
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060603/SPORTS/606030329/1001/SPORTS

MACHIAVELLI
June 15th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Bruce was released from the Saints.

TexasTerror
June 15th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Bruce was released from the Saints.

Yep...

From Nick Deriso...we see discussion that Nick D thinks weight played a major factor in Eugene being dropped from the team. Can't say I agree.

Weight was obviously an issue, but Eugene was too far down the depth chart to begin with. As he even said in a Nick Deriso written piece in the News Star (http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060615/SPORTS/60615001/1006), "The problem was being fifth on the depth chart. I couldnt get any reps. They never really got a chance to see me."

These undrafted FAs have a tough time. Eugene is at a skill position, an even tougher position to really make a mark, especially when your so low on the totem pole. Eugene will go to camp with someone in August. He just needs to continue working on his weight and overall skills these next few weeks as he was heading into the draft combine and mini-camp to position himself for a short. Work ethic wins over coaches!

Nick D's Blog...

Some numbers, with Bruce Eugene, you don't question.

Those are the ones for passing and running. Eugene had 15,000 yards of total offense in three years of starting. These blinding numbers will stand at Grambling for years, maybe even decades.

Coming as they did at a program that made its name running it downhill out of the tried-and-true Wing T made them all the more mind-boggling. That marks established by Doug Williams, by then Eugene's coach, had stood since the 1970s says much about the nature of Grambling's once-standard run-first approach.

Another number kept getting in the way, though.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blogs/blog3/2006/06/numbers-game.html

Calilumber
June 16th, 2006, 05:45 PM
If he gets lucky he will get put on a ps and get sent to NFLE next year. It's a long road!!!!

walliver
June 18th, 2006, 10:35 PM
I think he will help his stock a lot if he plays in Europe and keeps the weight off. I suspect the pros feel that his weight loss is temporary (I know from personal experience that it is hard to keep the weight off). If he plays in NFL-Europe and keeps the weight off after a year, he should have a good chance in the NFL. The problem, IMHO, is that he didn't get the weight off while at Gramling, and it raises suspicion among NFL scouts.:twocents:

Calilumber
June 18th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I don't think it came down to weight. You can play QB in the NFL and not be very mobile if you have a cannon.

He was released because the guys they had in front of him were "thought" to be more talented or a better fit for the team. Most players that were not drafted have to get lucky and fall into a situation where they "fit" the teams need. To stay on the team they must prove they are capable playing at a very high level or risk getting replaced after the season is over.