PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Commission Recommends Dropping 8 Sports

superman7515
November 15th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/maryland-commission-recommends-athletic-department-cut-eight-varsity-teams/2011/11/14/gIQAlqeTMN_story.html)

The commission charged with tackling the multimillion dollar deficit in University of Maryland athletics has recommended that the school drop eight of its 27 varsity teams to remedy the shortfall, according to a report released by the university Monday evening.

The teams targeted for elimination are all three men’s track teams (indoor track and field, outdoor track and field, cross-country); men’s swimming and diving; women’s swimming and diving; men’s tennis; women’s water polo; and aerobics and tumbling (formerly known as competitive cheer).......

ngineer
November 15th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Glad to wrestling isn't on the hit list. The Terps have become very competitive over recent years, and wrestling is typically targeted when this stuff happens.

HailSzczur
November 15th, 2011, 11:06 PM
How is that gonna work Title IX wise, seeing that 5 of the 8 are mens teams? (assuming competitive cheer is female, or atleast female dominated sport)

TheValleyRaider
November 15th, 2011, 11:44 PM
How is that gonna work Title IX wise, seeing that 5 of the 8 are mens teams? (assuming competitive cheer is female, or atleast female dominated sport)

There's probably a lot of overlap on those track teams, Indoor and Outdoor probably being virtually similar rosters

superman7515
November 16th, 2011, 06:33 AM

Besides, it's fine to cut as many men's teams as you want. You could cut them all but the minimum and compete in 50 women's sports. Just don't cut much from the women or you're up the creek without a paddle.

dgtw
November 16th, 2011, 06:59 AM
There's probably a lot of overlap on those track teams, Indoor and Outdoor probably being virtually similar rosters

I would guess the cross country team is made up of the distance runners in track, so its pretty much a 3 for 1 deal on track scholarships.

I hate it for the people who support the programs and the coaches who lost their jobs, but cuts have to be made somewhere.

The idea of cheerleading as a sport just seems wrong to me. Apologies to anyone out there who is involved with it in some fashion, but it isn't a sport. It is dancing. Yes, it takes talent to do it, but its not a sport just beacuse they wear uniforms you see on the sidelines at a football game.

NHwildEcat
November 16th, 2011, 09:27 AM
They should cut football.

I don't see any dramatic cost savings in eliminating the sports mentioned...if you want to save $$$ then cut the most expensive program you offer, and that is football.

SonuvaHenx2
November 16th, 2011, 01:04 PM

I don't see any dramatic cost savings in eliminating the sports mentioned...if you want to save $$$ then cut the most expensive program you offer, and that is football.

At least then we wouldn't be subjected to those god-awful uniforms anymore :)

PhoenixSupreme
November 16th, 2011, 01:17 PM
At least then we wouldn't be subjected to those god-awful uniforms anymore :)

meh... they can transfer them to their other sports :D

dgtw
November 16th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Its probably best they drop their track program. How good can a track team be if their mascot is a turtle?

superman7515
November 16th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Slow and steady wins the race.

LeadBolt
November 16th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I'm speechless.....

RabidRabbit
November 16th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Its probably best they drop their track program. How good can a track team be if their mascot is a turtle?

With a Hare as mascot, the Rabbits are known to have good running teams. Especially distance.

Always fun for SDSU vs U-MD get togethers. Especially since my son is a Terp grad, and daughter, an SDSU student (parents are both Rabbit grads, but only one is Rabid about the Rabbits).

MSUDuo
November 16th, 2011, 05:27 PM

It also probably brings in the most money by far. If you cut football, you cut the money for the other sports with it

Seawolf97
November 16th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Slow and steady wins the race.

In the 100 meters ?:D

McNeese75
November 16th, 2011, 07:47 PM

Rep for that one

ngineer
November 17th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Could be a government 'shell game.'...(;-)

ngineer
November 17th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Are they also gonna save money by shortening their nickname to "Twerps"?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 17th, 2011, 09:53 AM

I sure hope you're not a member of the UNH Board of Trustees! :D

wkuhillhound
November 23rd, 2011, 11:26 AM

Awesome.