PDA

View Full Version : Meyer Chooses Gridiron over Diamond

TexasTerror
May 13th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Nice little read on Erik Meyer deciding to go with football instead of MLB, where he had been selected in three of the last five drafts, oddly enough ending up in one of the cities where a MLB team drafted him, Cincinnati...

Gridiron trumps diamond
Bengals signee spurned baseball
By Kevin Goheen
Post staff reporter

Major League Baseball teams have selected Erik Meyer three times in the last five drafts. Each time he has turned them down, including the Reds when they took him in the 37th round of the 2001 draft.

Meyer will be in Cincinnati this weekend, but not with the Reds. He'll be participating in the Bengals' minicamp for rookies and first-year players as an undrafted free agent trying to make the team as a quarterback from Eastern Washington University.

"My whole life there's been something about football that I loved, something about it that I loved that much more than baseball," Meyer said in a telephone interview. "When it came time to make the decision, I couldn't see myself not playing football but I could see myself not playing baseball."

The Chicago Cubs were the first team to call on Meyer. They wanted to take him in the seventh round of the 2001 draft and give him a six-figure contract. Meyer turned them down. He turned down the Reds that same year and he's turned down the San Francisco Giants each of the last two years when they've drafted him.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060513/SPT03/605130361/1035/SPT

TxSt02
May 14th, 2006, 11:15 AM
you have to give it to the guy for sticking with his passion of football and not going after money...