PDA

View Full Version : Comparing 2011 SHSU vs 2010 SFA

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2011, 06:21 PM
There are many people comparing SFA's 2010 squad to SHSU's 2011 squad. I thought we'd break down a few things... if any of you have more to add, please have it!

SCHEDULE (OOC and Div I)
- SFA was 9-2 against NCAA competition including FBS loss to Texas A&M and out of conference wins against Albany (59-14), Northern Iowa (22-20) and Lamar (71-3)

- SHSU is 10-0 against NCAA competition including a FBS win against New Mexico and out of conference wins against Western Illinois (20-6) and UTSA (22-7) with one final game against Texas State-San Marcos.

SCHEDULE (SLC)
- SFA was 6-1 in conference play with a lone 27-24 loss to Texas State-San Marcos at home. Overall, SFA outscored conference opponents 36-18.

- SHSU posted an undefeated 7-0 record with an average score of 44-10. Of SLC opponents, just two scored more than 10 points (Northwestern State with 17 and McNeese with 14).

ENTERING THE POSTSEASON - WINNING STREAK
- SFA won three straight games entering the postseason

- With a win, SHSU will have won all 11 games on the season and have the nation's longest NCAA Division I winning streak (FBS and FCS) with 13 consecutive victories.

RANKING - ENTERING POSTSEASON
- SFA entered the postseason ranked No. 3 overall and was not seeded in the NCAA bracket.

- SHSU is likely ranked in the top three across all major polls (with a win in finale)

GRIDIRON POWER INDEX
- SFA was No. 5 in the final GPI entering the playoffs.

- SHSU (as of Nov. 5 games) was tied for 2nd.

Dallas Demon
November 13th, 2011, 06:33 PM
There are many people comparing SFA's 2010 squad to SHSU's 2011 squad. I thought we'd break down a few things... if any of you have more to add, please have it!

SCHEDULE (OOC and Div I)
- SFA was 10-1 against NCAA competition including FBS loss to Texas A&M and out of conference wins against Albany (59-14), Northern Iowa (22-20) and Lamar (71-3)

- SHSU is 10-0 against NCAA competition including a FBS win against New Mexico and out of conference wins against Western Illinois (20-6) and UTSA (22-7) with one final game against Texas State-San Marcos.

SCHEDULE (SLC)
- SFA was 6-1 in conference play with a lone 27-24 loss to Texas State-San Marcos at home. Overall, SFA outscored conference opponents 36-18.

- SHSU posted an undefeated 7-0 record with an average score of 44-10. Of SLC opponents, just two scored more than 10 points (Northwestern State with 17 and McNeese with 14).

ENTERING THE POSTSEASON - WINNING STREAK
- SFA won three straight games entering the postseason

- With a win, SHSU will have won all 11 games on the season and have the nation's longest NCAA Division I winning streak (FBS and FCS) with 13 consecutive victories.

RANKING - ENTERING POSTSEASON
- SFA entered the postseason ranked No. 3 overall and was not seeded in the NCAA bracket.

- SHSU is likely ranked in the top three across all major polls (with a win in finale)

GRIDIRON POWER INDEX
- SFA was No. 5 in the final GPI entering the playoffs.

- SHSU (as of Nov. 5 games) was tied for 2nd.

SFA was 9-2 going into the playoffs last year. SHSU could be 11-0. This is a huge difference - the only thing common is both are from the Southland Conference. SHSU absolutely should be a top 5 seed and maybe #1 or #2.

Engineer86
November 13th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I looked back and saw that SFA had a playoff win in 2009 (I think) What is SHSU's track record in the playoffs. I could not dig up much before 2009. I have them as the #5 seed, better than SFA got last year and your post does support it. Just not sure how much better.

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2011, 06:41 PM
SFA was 9-2 going into the playoffs last year. SHSU could be 11-0. This is a huge difference - the only thing common is both are from the Southland Conference. SHSU absolutely should be a top 5 seed and maybe #1 or #2.

Thanks for the correction... that two-game swing is a huge difference when there's only 11 games being played.

Thanks for bringing that up as I think many of our FCS fans are not as in tune to the Southland as they were before. Still believe SHSU is no worse than a No. 3 if they are undefeated in light of Georgia Southern's anticipated loss to Alabama and will only cement a top two finish if Montana State loses... IMO.

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I looked back and saw that SFA had a playoff win in 2009 (I think) What is SHSU's track record in the playoffs. I could not dig up much before 2009. I have them as the #5 seed, better than SFA got last year and your post does support it. Just not sure how much better.

Most recent appearances...

SHSU went to the semifinals in 2004 after defeating Western Kentucky (home) and Eastern Washington (road)... fell to Montana (road). In 2001, SHSU went to the quarterfinals after defeating Northern Arizona (home) and then fell to Montana (road).

Engineer86
November 13th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Most recent appearances...

SHSU went to the semifinals in 2004 after defeating Western Kentucky (home) and Eastern Washington (road)... fell to Montana (road). In 2001, SHSU went to the quarterfinals after defeating Northern Arizona (home) and then fell to Montana (road).

Thanks, I gotta say, I would expect something in the 3-5 range. I am basing that on my opinion that the Committee tends to lean towards the leading conferences. Despite my many posts questioning I have no axe to grind with SHSU.

I saw one post that called SHSU the Boise St of FCS. I think Lehigh is the TCU (actually this probably overstates Lehigh, but you get the point). If it weren't for the travel issue, I could see Lehigh and SHSU being matched up.

Good luck. I hope to catch one of your games to get a better comparative than looking at schedules.

Dallas Demon
November 13th, 2011, 07:39 PM
The Southland has a history of winning in the playoffs. We are missing multiple championship wins with the only one coming in 1987 by then Northeast Louisiana (now Louisiana-Monroe) along with recent success past the quarterfinals.

McNeese St.: 2002, 1997 Finals, 1995 Semifinals, 1994, 1993, 1992 Quarterfinals
Texas St.: 2005 Semifinals
Northwestern St.: 1998 Semifinals, 1988 Quarterfinals
Sam Houston: 2004 Semifinals, 2001 Quarterfinals
Stephen F. Austin: 1989 Finals, 1995 Semifinals, 2009, 1988 Quarterfinals
Louisiana-Monroe: 1987 Champions, 1992 Quarterfinals
La. Tech: 1984 Finals, 1982 Quarterfinals
Arkansas St.: 1986 Finals, 1987, 1985, 1984 Quarterfinals
Troy: 1996 Semifinals, 1999 Quarterfinals

blackfordpu
November 13th, 2011, 07:42 PM
If the voters have not watched the Kats play, and I'm assuming they haven't, then they don't have any idea what they are voting on. Just going off of the conference is a mistake. The Kats have been dominant in their games.

Engineer86
November 13th, 2011, 07:59 PM
If the voters have not watched the Kats play, and I'm assuming they haven't, then they don't have any idea what they are voting on. Just going off of the conference is a mistake. The Kats have been dominant in their games.

I don't vote. Just another opinion that does not matter. Oh wait in the FCS that is all the opinions, thank god!

HailSzczur
November 13th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I don't know a ton about Sam, and my knowledge of last years SFA team is limited to the 3 hours I watched of our second round game, but the first difference that comes to mind for me is Moses. I got the impression, at least from our match up that the team, and most especially the offense revolved around Moses. He put up some unbelievable numbers all season (only 3 INTs in the regular season I believe?) and won the Payton. To my knowledge Sam Houston is not like that, are they?

BEAR
November 13th, 2011, 08:54 PM
No. Sam has a defense. Yes they do.

SFA 71
November 13th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Why did I know this was going to be a paean to shs when I read the title alone? I must be a psychic! xcoolx

lionsrking2
November 14th, 2011, 02:34 AM
I don't know a ton about Sam, and my knowledge of last years SFA team is limited to the 3 hours I watched of our second round game, but the first difference that comes to mind for me is Moses. I got the impression, at least from our match up that the team, and most especially the offense revolved around Moses. He put up some unbelievable numbers all season (only 3 INTs in the regular season I believe?) and won the Payton. To my knowledge Sam Houston is not like that, are they?

Sam Houston is good, and they've earned their ranking, but the rest of the SLC is as bad as I've seen, generally speaking, since we began play in '05 ... they're really the only team that plays ball control offense and pressure defense and doesn't beat themselves like everybody else in our league seems to do ... other than Richard Sincere (IMO their best player) and Tim Flanders, they're not overly talented, but they force a ton of turnovers, are great on special teams, and don't beat themselves offensively ... they do just enough in the passing game to keep you honest and have a diverse running game.

To me, SFA is/was more talented (even now) but Sam has a better recipe for playoff success ... I don't know if Sam can throw it well enough if somebody can take their running game away (easier said than done), but if they're getting turnovers and putting their offense on the field around midfield every possession, they'll be tough to beat.

TexasTerror
November 14th, 2011, 06:18 AM

SHSU is No. 8 in the country in rushing offense and No. 23 in total offense while being No. 1 in scoring offense. Can you imagine leading the nation in scoring offense while predominantly featuring a rushing offense? That must mean we have a short field to work with, yea? Exactly!

SFA's defense was nothing like the Bearkats' though, who rank No. 1 in rush defense, No. 1 in scoring defense, No. 2 in pass efficiency defense, No. 2 in total defense.

Sam Houston is good, and they've earned their ranking, but the rest of the SLC is as bad as I've seen, generally speaking, since we began play in '05 ... they're really the only team that plays ball control offense and pressure defense and doesn't beat themselves like everybody else in our league seems to do ... other than Richard Sincere (IMO their best player) and Tim Flanders, they're not overly talented, but they force a ton of turnovers, are great on special teams, and don't beat themselves offensively ... they do just enough in the passing game to keep you honest and have a diverse running game.

QB Brian Bell is as effective a manager of the game as can be. Helps having Sincere and Flanders, but he ranks No. 2 in nation in passing efficiency, which speaks volumes of what he does.

To me, SFA is/was more talented (even now) but Sam has a better recipe for playoff success ... I don't know if Sam can throw it well enough if somebody can take their running game away (easier said than done), but if they're getting turnovers and putting their offense on the field around midfield every possession, they'll be tough to beat.

SHSU has a more talented 'D' than SFA had last year, but you are correct... offensively, SFA definitely had more talent last year, particularly at the skill positions and under center. And I do like SHSU's style... if they get ahead on someone in the playoffs, they have the ability to control the clock and win a game.

TexasTerror
November 14th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Another fun SHSU stat...

Sam Houston State continued its practice of dominating opponents during the third quarter in Saturday's 43-17 win over Northwestern State.

The Bearkats (10-0, 7-0 Southland Conference) outscored the Demons 20-3 in the third quarter en route to taking a 43-10 lead into the final period.

Sam Houston State has outscored opponents 139-10 in the third quarter, with Northwestern State and Central Arkansas being the only teams to score in that period.

"We've got some unbelievable numbers in the third quarter," coach Willie Fritz said. "A big part of that is that we've got excellent coaches, we make very good halftime adjustments, and we have smart kids who are able to execute the adjustments that we make."

http://www.chron.com/sports/college/article/Prairie-View-s-path-to-SWAC-title-game-clear-2267595.php

UCABEARS75
November 14th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I saw both teams in person, Sam Houston is a much more solid and well rounded team.

Can run and pass with a solid defense.

TheRevSFA
November 14th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Sam only throws when they have to. They have Flanders and Sincere who just dominate that offense (pisses me off because Sincere was a joke at Galveston-Ball in his high schools years..but I digress).

They do have a better defense than SFA did last year, but what I think will hurt them is their SOS. They played one of the weakest in FCS with OOC games against WIU, Tx State, UTSA, and New Mexico (one of the worst FBS teams).

I hope they land a 3 seed..but I'm betting 4 or 5.