PDA

View Full Version : Tarvaris Jackson Receiving Praise

TexasTerror
May 12th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Doug Williams saying that people should not put down Jackson because he went to a small-school or the fact he is African-American. Not sure why African-American got thrown in the fire, especially since Vince Young is an African-American and nothing has come up. I don't think it ever came up for Steve McNair ever, because everyone knew what kind of talent he possessed.

I think the bigger issue as it relates to QBs are that it seems like there's always some criticism of QBs from non I-A schools. The big issue here with Jackson is that he's seen as a project player that could take a bit longer to develop, but the word from NFL scouts is he was well worth the 'gamble' as he's going to make it in this league...

Jackson earning praise
College coaches insist second-rounder was not a 'reach'
BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

Doug Williams bristles when he hears someone question Tarvaris Jackson's NFL future because Jackson played at Alabama State, a historically black Division I-AA school in the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

Williams starred at Grambling, another historically black university in the same conference, and he enjoyed a successful NFL career that included an MVP performance in Super Bowl XXII for the Washington Redskins.

"I've seen him throw three on me one day when I was coaching at Grambling (in 2003)," Williams said of Jackson. "I knew the kid had some ability. It's unfortunate because he went to a small school, and people put them down. Let's not beat up on Tarvaris becomes he comes from Alabama State and he's African-American."

Some NFL analysts criticized the Vikings' selection of Jackson at the end of the second round as a "reach," especially because he was projected as a fourth-round pick and selected ahead of better-known quarterbacks such as Clemson's Charlie Whitehurst and Alabama's Brodie Croyle.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/14558712.htm

May 12th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Jackson, who started his collegiate career at the University of Arkansas, doesn't second-guess his decision to transfer to Alabama State.

"I was at a Division I school, but it didn't work out," he said. "But I feel everything happens for a reason. I had fun playing football at Alabama State, and I don't wish my career would have gone any other way than it did."Gawd!

TexasTerror
May 13th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Gawd!

Yikes! Didn't even see that...

Does Jackson think the SWAC is not Div I? He's shooting himself in the foot there, not helping the criticism one bit... :nonono2:

SUjagTILLiDIE
May 15th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Vikings

Vikings: Rookie QB impresses right away
Tarvaris Jackson's skills and work ethic put the rookie from Division I-AA in a favorable light with his new teammates.

Koren Robinson caught only a few passes from Tarvaris Jackson during the first two days of the Vikings minicamp, but that was enough to make an impression on the veteran receiver. Not to mention leave one on his hands.
"He has a really strong arm. He has a gun," Robinson said. "I like him. He's really impressive. I'm impressed with his demeanor. I'm impressed with his knowledge of the offense."

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/432130.html

Take it from Johnson
Vikings quarterback Brad Johnson knows exactly what Tarvaris Jackson has been feeling during the team's minicamp as the rookie begins to learn the West Coast offense.
Last update: May 14, 2006 – 9:38 PM

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/432058.html

Mr. C
May 18th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Thanks to all who are posting these links. It's great to keep up with this stuff on I-AA alums. Here was a very interesting quote from one of the stories:

Free-agent receiver Ryan Hoag:
"I was in Eli Manning's first minicamp in New York, and I would say Tarvaris is 10 times beyond where Eli was," Hoag said after Sunday's workouts. "And that's being completely honest. I did have the experience of working with him during the [NFL] combine time in Florida. We both worked out with Tom Shaw, and I came back when I re-signed [with the Vikings] and told the coaches I thought [Jackson] was better than [first-round pick] Jay Cutler."

Got to love the smack on the much-hyped No. 1 draft choice Eli Manning. If Tarvaris improves as much as a first-year pro as he did between his junior and senior college seasons, he indeed will be worth watching. He did a tremendous job of cutting down his turnovers as a senior. I could see him getting a chance to start some games with the Vikings before the season ends.